Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There's a fly in my apartment, what should I do?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭loloray

Abigayle wrote: »
    Never a damn fly around when you need one.
    Abigayle. You sound evil. Would you like to visit me this evening?
    On the menu is some nice French wine, Indian vegetarian homemade food and homemade chocolate ice-cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

loloray wrote: »
    On the menu is some nice French wine, Indian vegetarian homemade food and homemade chocolate ice-cream.
    Be careful with the international fare, flies are renowned xenophobics

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

There's a fly in my apartment, what should I do?
    "Gonna fix that fly, that's what I'm gonna do.. gonna fix that fly"

No one will understand that will they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Ok so my flatmate is away at the moment. When he left, a fly moved in. At first I didn't mind him, he liked landing on me and I found it interesting that I could feel him walk on me even through my clothes. He was good, unobtrusive company.

However this is the third day now. I am wearing less clothes and the fly keeps on landing me. He is getting worse and worse and more familiar. He walks on my back and makes buzzy noises more often. He lands on me more than any other thing in this room. He tickles me now in a really frustrating way.

What do I do? I never (deliberately) killed a fly before, and I don't want to kill a living thing - but this guy is driving me men-tal! :confused:

I used to pride myself on the 'there's no flies on me!' joke. But I can't say that now.

Any advice is welcome. I have tried showering.
    like that old joke. Guy ushers a waiter and says there a fly in my wine. Waiter replies "Quiet sir, or everyone will want one"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

No pets allowed, GTFO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

If you can't reason with him, do what pebbles said and Obama his ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Abigayle. You sound evil. Would you like to visit me this evening?
    Thanks for the invite, 'fraid I'm gonna have to let you down though. Let me know when you liver, fava beans, and a nice chianti on the go, then I'm all yours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Poor lil guy, he's only trying to keep you company. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Give UB40 a ring and ask them what did they do when they last found vermin in their kitchen!
    Just don't make a song and dance about it though!

Ok so my flatmate is away at the moment. When he left, a fly moved in. At first I didn't mind him, he liked landing on me and I found it interesting that I could feel him walk on me even through my clothes. He was good, unobtrusive company.

However this is the third day now. I am wearing less clothes and the fly keeps on landing me. He is getting worse and worse and more familiar. He walks on my back and makes buzzy noises more often. He lands on me more than any other thing in this room. He tickles me now in a really frustrating way.

What do I do? I never (deliberately) killed a fly before, and I don't want to kill a living thing - but this guy is driving me men-tal! :confused:

I used to pride myself on the 'there's no flies on me!' joke. But I can't say that now.

Bet your sorry you asked!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,510 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

At least you don't have a rat in your kitchen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Ivona Tinkle

Shoe fly dont bother me
    Shoe fly dont bother me
    shoe fly dont bother me
    I dont want your company :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

toughen up buttercup and grab a cup and catch him and put him outside

alternatively squash him its not like it has a soul or anything ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sounds-right

this is a battle of wits
    Maybe he's on his little pc as we speak discussing on a little fly version of boards how to get rid of you without killing you....... the waiting game begins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Miley Cirus song '' fly on the wall '' will be in my head all evening ,,,you do know this OP ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Banter Joe

Flys generally only live from one to three days.

Give it a few hours.

Banter Joe wrote: »
    Flys generally only live from one to three days.

Give it a few hours.

Wiki wrote:
    The housefly (also house fly, house-fly or common housefly), Musca domestica, is the most common of all flies flying in homes, and indeed one of the most widely distributed insects; it is often considered a pest that can carry serious diseases.

In colder climates, houseflies survive only with humans. They have a tendency to aggregate and are difficult to dispel. They are capable of carrying over 100 pathogens, such as typhoid, cholera, Salmonella, bacillary dysentery, tuberculosis, anthrax, ophthalmia, and parasitic worms. The flies in poorer and lower-hygienic areas usually carry more pathogens. Some strains have become immune to most common insecticides.

House flies feed on liquid or semi-liquid substances beside solid material which has been softened by saliva or vomit. Because of their high intake of food, they deposit feces constantly, one of the factors that makes the insect a dangerous carrier of pathogens. Although they are domestic flies, usually confined to the human habitations, they can fly for several miles from the breeding place. They are active only in daytime and rest at night e.g. at the corners of rooms, ceiling hangings, etc.

Housefly as a vector of disease

Mechanical transmission of organisms on its hairs, mouthparts, vomitus and feces:
    parasitic diseases: Cysts of protozoa e.g. Entamoeba histolytica, Giardia lamblia and eggs of helminths e.g.:Ascaris lumbricoides, Trichuros trichura, Haemenolypes nana, Enterobius vermicularis.
    bacterial diseases: Typhoid, cholera, dysentery, pyogenic cocci...etc. House flies have been demonstrated to be vectors of Campylobacter and E. coli O157:H7 using PCR [6]. House flies can be monitored for bacterial pathogens using filter paper spot cards and PCR [7]
    Viruses: Enteroviruses: Poliomyelitis, infective hepatitis (A & E)..etc

Torture ftw.

In order for A Fly to digest the food it's just landed on, it has to crap on it to soften it up , hence all that mooonwalking all over the food .....

Latchy wrote: »
    In order for A Fly to digest the food it's just landed on, it has to crap on it to soften it up , hence all that mooonwalking all over the food .....
    Way to kill a funny thread. get the message!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Just ignore him. I know this will be hard for you for to do but eventuall he'll get the message

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Maybe it is trying to tell you - SET ME FREEEEEEEEEEE

I think you really want it to stay, admit it;)

Way to kill a funny thread. get the message!
    You for real ? ...You never seen a fly moonwalking across a piece of bread ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Get chair, stand up on, take bulb out of light, wet thumb, wait, feel fly on back, jam thumb into light socket, watch fly fall smoking to the ground complete with satisfying crackle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

brummytom wrote: »
    "Gonna fix that fly, that's what I'm gonna do.. gonna fix that fly"

No one will understand that will they?

That would be a reference to "Rat in me Kictchen" by UB40, no?

If it is: Great minds etc. etc.!

If not: bite me! :pac:8

Or swallow it!
    I heard about this old lady who swallowed a fly.

You'll have to swallow a spider and maybe a bird; but stop there.

Latchy wrote: »
    You for real ? ...You never seen a fly moonwalking across a piece of bread ?
    was that supposed to funny?

That would be a reference to "Rat in me Kictchen" by UB40, no?

If it is: Great minds etc. etc.!

If not: bite me! :pac:8

It is :P

My dad's mate taught Ali Campbell; told him he'd never make it :pac:

was that supposed to funny?
    For you ? Obiously not

er...get the message !

brummytom wrote: »
    Or swallow it!
    I heard about this old lady who swallowed a fly.

Her eyesight was prolly none too sharp. Poor old dear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

[obscure_reference] shoot her, shoot her! [/obscure_reference]

Advertisement