Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurling on the Beach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Dont tell me that you would be stupid enough to actually stay around a 'safety hazard' if you thought you were gonna get hit? Because then the hurlers arent really the stupid ones, are they now?

oh i see, so i have to move to facilitate them :rolleyes:

me and those around my vicinity were there first, then the boggers came along to spoil the day

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

fryup wrote: »

me and those around my vicinity were there first, then the boggers came along to spoil the day

whats wrong with boggers?
    Well, if you have problems with them, then yea, you should move. Would you rather move or 'risk getting hurt'..

i'd rather stay where i was....not moving for anyone:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

i'd rather stay where i was....not moving for anyone:cool:
    Well, in fairness, on a wide empty beach I doubt they're gonna come up and start playing over ye or anything. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Maybe you should deal with your personal prejudices and bigotry before you make personal judgement upon others. ;)

• Advertisement

I see loads of people playing hurling on beaches and I dont see a problem at all?? I just get out of their way. Dont tell me that you would be stupid enough to actually stay around a 'safety hazard' if you thought you were gonna get hit? Because then the hurlers arent really the stupid ones, are they now?

fryup's a bit fragile you see, easily harmed. :p If he/she got hit with a sliotar he/she would shatter into a million little pieces...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭In All Fairness

He'd want to toughen up. If he thinks it's going to be that easy when he gets to the Under-9's.

Orizio wrote: »
    fryup's a bit fragile you see, easily harmed. :p If he/she got hit with a sliotar he/she would shatter into a million little pieces...

is that the best you can come up with duh:rolleyes:

See post 216 precious. ;)

give orizio a break.. He isnt very good at comebacks ;) think old age is getting to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭seandugg

give orizio a break.. He isnt very good at comebacks ;) think old age is getting to him.

good 1...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vixenbees

dont people from the city play hurling too? mightn't have been a "bogger" at all.

vixenbees wrote: »
    dont people from the city play hurling too? mightn't have been a "bogger" at all.

No. Only illiterate cousin shagging farmers play hurling. ;)

I heard thats the new requirement alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I'm pretty surprised at the level of arrogance being shown by a number of posters, which is unusual conisdering I would have thought the greater part of the population of boards to be quite reasonable people!

The point I'm seeing being stressed is that people have the right to come along and play hurling wherever they damn well feel like, and if ya dont like it, well toughen up and get used to it cos, we're irish, dontcha know! sure a sliotar never hurt anyone! strangely enough, you're right! ye do have the right to! weirdly enough though, a beach full of families with kids (as we all know, the beach is gonna be full of them on a sunny day), arent there to get involved in a game of hurling, the kids are NOT there training!
    as ive said before, ive no issue with those who make concessions for the people who dont want to get hurt by a sliotar by using something soft, or who have come early and got their own little section. Just randomly picking somewhere and playing away is plain ignorance, and this whole bogger/city person argument is very childish. I'm a bogger, and if im gonna do something that could potentially hurt someone, i try to do it somewhere appropriate. And a crowded beach is not one of them.

didnt think i was being childish there, was just tryin to show the OP that the person being a bogger really doesnt come into it. the lads should've had the cop on to say sorry and move along, regardless of boggerness..(its a word...)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

hes probably refering back to when the british interrupted a hurling match in the early 1900s and killed a tipperary hurler. Thats the only death i can think of. rip

That was actually Tipperary Gaelic Footballer(and captain) Michael Hogan, back when Tipp had a strong football team(winning the All-Ireland that year, 1920).

It was all down hill for Tipperary football after that year, although with that said Tipp currently have one of our strongest football teams since at the moment.

and to keep the thread slightly on topic, people should be able to play hurling on the beach. They should also be aware of others who were on the beach before them and not purpose infringe their leisure. Lastly sliotars although hard are not 'like rocks', I'd rather get hit with a sliotar going at a fast pace than a golf ball going at the same speed.

Big Ears wrote: »
    That was actually Tipperary Gaelic Footballer(and captain) Michael Hogan, back when Tipp had a strong football team(winning the All-Ireland that year, 1920).

It was all down hill for Tipperary football after that year, although with that said Tipp currently have one of our strongest football teams since at the moment.

and to keep the thread slightly on topic, people should be able to play hurling on the beach. They should also be aware of others who were on the beach before them and not purpose infringe their leisure. Lastly sliotars although hard are not 'like rocks', I'd rather get hit with a sliotar going at a fast pace than a golf ball going at the same speed.

Forgive me.
    My history is fairly brutal if Im being honest.:)
    Yeah but Limerick beat ye this year. Ain't that strong, my friend.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

To me there yes they are because there the sports that I take an interest and involved in too a degree there the sports I do, but then again, to some one involved in gaa its probably the same..

Yet sports that could help attract more people to ireland are put in the back burner. Yet we have an natural play ground on our door step... great climbing awesome surfing, great winds for sailing windsurfing, and kite surfing yet no GAA needs it more...

Kite surfing... ha ha ha ha.
    Important sport... ha ha ha ha

" and now we have the kite surfling Championship of Ireland, the official attendace today in 5, plus one dog".....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

With the British army mobilising as we speak over on the mainland it should only be a matter of time before the whole sport of hurling will cease to exist.
    God save our gracious Queen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

only read the op and the first couple of replies. so aps...

but seriously. Hurling is an awesome game. second only to rugby league in toughness. it requires tremendous courage from its participants who deserve much respect for their sheer bravery.

so if they love the game and can find a means to play it in a public area without hurting anyone else physicaly let them be. so what idf they offend. good for them.

if youre intimidated, move away. let the champs go for it. i doubt they would want to hurt anyone.

fcuk i would like to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

I have zero stats on this but i'd say more people have been killed by golf balls than any amount of sliotar.

how many geriatric old farts do you see swinging clubs in public spaces?

"... ive seen a few" sung in the style of Frank Sinatra, My Way...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Forgive me.
    My history is fairly brutal if Im being honest.:)
    Yeah but Limerick beat ye this year. Ain't that strong, my friend.;)

Well Limerick beat Tipp by 1 point and then themselves only lost the Munster Final to Cork by 1 point.

Tipp also won division 3 this year so will be playing Division 2 League football next year. Dublin only narrowly avoided playing in the same division next year.

Although with that said Tipp lost by a point to Sligo today, which is quite a poor result for the current Tipp team. Anyway I wasn't saying Tipp are World beaters just a lot better than we used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭carlybabe1

jumpguy wrote: »
    Sorry there carlybabe, I was hitting the "my" instead, a mental slip, not a sign a blatant ignorance and self-centerdom. I spose we'll narrow in on that now and discard my arguments because I'm a selfish prick. :rolleyes:

Well we could if ye wanted to, I'd rather not though ;)
    I was refering to the fact that quite absent-mindedly you were assuming ownership of the beach, as in "its my beach, and Ill play my game there if I like" type of thing, subconcious no doubt, but thats obviously how you think of it
    b28 wrote: »
    sounds like someone is frightened of a ball hitting them. you may not appreciate sports i guess. hurlers aren't afraid of the ball:rolleyes:

And your point is wat exactly??:rolleyes: Surprisingly enough, if you stop to look round next time your on the beach, you will probably notice that there is relatively few people playing hurling, and quite a few eyeing you warily.....
    so am I simple for not wanting my kids to get hit with anything hard when trying to enjoy a day at the beach???:rolleyes:
    The words of someone who has never played hurling in his/her life. The chances of someone getting badly injured or killed by getting hit by sliotar is basically nil.

Now stop with the preseciousness, your Irish for christ's sake. ;)

So are you saying now that its presecious to not want to spend the day with your 5yr old getting a head Xray after a trip to the beach??? If you read the first post, thats what the topic is about ;)
    jumpguy wrote: »
    Around 10 people die a year from being hit in the head by a falling coconut.

More than one...so 3 hurlers were killed?

Another totally sensible post, gee, now I see how silly Ive been :rolleyes:, Ill just be sure to avoid cocnut trees from now on
    I see loads of people playing hurling on beaches and I dont see a problem at all?? I just get out of their way. Dont tell me that you would be stupid enough to actually stay around a 'safety hazard' if you thought you were gonna get hit? Because then the hurlers arent really the stupid ones, are they now?

YAWN!! Eh, is that not the whole point of this arguement??? WHY SHOULD ANYONE ELSE HAVE TO MOVE ON A PUBLIC BEACH SO SOMEONE ELSE CAN PLAY A GAME THAT CAN POTENTIALLY HURT SOMEONE?DAMAGE PROPERTY!!! Especially when these people already have pitches provided for them, its not like there's nowhere else for them to play.

No, fryup has a bit of cop-on, and more importantly, a bit of consideration for other people

Im starting to agree with that, judgin by some of the posts here

vixenbees wrote: »
    I heard thats the new requirement alright

ah, there we go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Just a quick message to all you boggers & culchies out there who practice hurling on a crowded beach......go somewhere else!!

I mean if you did it with a tennis ball i wouldn't mind so much but a sliotar:rolleyes:....its as hard & heavy as a rock ffs

Just yesterday i saw a young kid getting a whack on side of the head from a sliotar ...when his mother remonstrated with the boggers they just shrugged their shoulders and carried on.....ASSH&LES!!
    Get over it ya softie. I dont play hurling but it could be the exact same thing with a soccer ball or a football and noone complains.

carlybabe1 wrote: »
    Well we could if ye wanted to, I'd rather not though ;)
    I was refering to the fact that quite absent-mindedly you were assuming ownership of the beach, as in "its my beach, and Ill play my game there if I like" type of thing, subconcious no doubt, but thats obviously how you think of it

And your point is wat exactly??:rolleyes: Surprisingly enough, if you stop to look round next time your on the beach, you will probably notice that there is relatively few people playing hurling, and quite a few eyeing you warily.....
    so am I simple for not wanting my kids to get hit with anything hard when trying to enjoy a day at the beach???:rolleyes:

So are you saying now that its presecious to not want to spend the day with your 5yr old getting a head Xray after a trip to the beach??? If you read the first post, thats what the topic is about ;)

Another totally sensible post, gee, now I see how silly Ive been :rolleyes:, Ill just be sure to avoid cocnut trees from now on

YAWN!! Eh, is that not the whole point of this arguement??? WHY SHOULD ANYONE ELSE HAVE TO MOVE ON A PUBLIC BEACH SO SOMEONE ELSE CAN PLAY A GAME THAT CAN POTENTIALLY HURT SOMEONE?DAMAGE PROPERTY!!! Especially when these people already have pitches provided for them, its not like there's nowhere else for them to play.

No, fryup has a bit of cop-on, and more importantly, a bit of consideration for other people

Im starting to agree with that, judgin by some of the posts here

ah, there we go :)

My only problem with fryup is his/her rampant bigotry and prejudices, but presumebly you are just a much a pig ignorant bigot as he/she is if you think hateful rants about 'boggers' is being considerate. ;) I'm talking about decency and respect, something the bigoted threadstarter, and evidently you, clearly have little understanding of.

carlybabe1 wrote: »

property? What property? Hurlers going around trashing property. Disgrace! What do they do? Knock down childrens sandcastles? Call the gardai! Young lads are accidently hitting sandcastles with sliothars.? Have you ever seen guys hitting people with sliothars?
    I see signs with 'no dogs' on beaches but i dont see signs with 'no hurling' on beaches.

If the govt or council were as strict as you say on enforcing this 'no hurling on beach' law, Wouldnt they pop up a sign or two with 'no sports allowed'?? Seems preety realistic to me.

My only problem with fryup is his/her rampant bigotry and prejudices, but presumebly you are just a much a pig ignorant bigot as he/she is if you think hateful rants about 'boggers' is being considerate. ;)I'm talking about decency and respect, something the bigoted threadstarter, and evidently you, clearly have little understanding of.

:confused::confused::confused: WTF??? Wat is the problem with people reading the fcuking posts, I mean, my daughter plays camogie and GAA, so am I prejudiced against my daughter :rolleyes:

Now thats rich, comming from someone who thinks its ok to arrive on a beach, start playing a game that could hurt someone nearby, but when they are challenged, reckon that other people should have moved to accomodate them :cool:

Patricide wrote: »
    Get over it ya softie. I dont play hurling but it could be the exact same thing with a soccer ball or a football and noone complains.

There ye go, so why dont you find out if it is the same thing before posting??? Its much much harder than a soccer ball ya silly

• Advertisement

property? What property? Hurlers going around trashing property. Disgrace! What do they do? Knock down childrens sandcastles? Call the gardai! Young lads are accidently hitting sandcastles with sliothars.? Have you ever seen guys hitting people with sliothars?
    I see signs with 'no dogs' on beaches but i dont see signs with 'no hurling' on beaches.

If the govt or council were as strict as you say on enforcing this 'no hurling on beach' law, Wouldnt they pop up a sign or two with 'no sports allowed'?? Seems preety realistic to me.

I see, cant win the argument so resort to pretnding not to understand the point.....or maybe you dont :confused:
    tell ye what Ill clear it up, I was talking about my car, ye know, some people drive to the beach like. That any better for ye???

Doesnt your post just look silly now :)

Advertisement