Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your worst injury

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

On the day of our summer holidays, age seven... Fell head first down a grass bank and smacked my head off the concrete kerb.. seven stitches to the forehead and a black eye. still have the scar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭narwog81

tore my cruciate ligament in right knee. twice.

some craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

My worst injury was getting an infraction on boards.ie by a mod,THEN getting the infraction overuled by an admin,THEN getting the infraction re-introduced:eek:

It hurt like hell!:pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

*points to a scar on chest*
    Mary Ellen Moffat. She broke my heart.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

BVB wrote: »
    were you making a Cock-Tail
    I think the verb you're looking for is unmaking tbh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

Playing football. Dislocated my knee cap and tore my ACL and PCL in the knee at the same time. Not very nice, extremely painful actually. Reckon my face said it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭thebossanova

Playing rugby, tackled a prop. He fell on me, elbow towards my nether regions, and a prop from my team fell on him in the act of tackling. Queue 36 odd stone landing elbow first, crushing one of my testicles between his elbow and my leg. Sack swelled to the size of an orange and took about 4/5 weeks to go down. Thank fook we have 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Have had loads of brakes / incidents that neeeded stitches but the worst was when I stood on a pint glass. The glass smashed under the weight and went up through my foot.

It cut straight through two of my tendons, luckily the 2 smallest. Rushed too hospital, had work done and stitched up. Stitches didn't hold and broke in the night, back to hospital. Long story short, the flesh and tissue on the inside of the wound was dead and started too fall out over time. Had to have many many many small operations on it. Couldn't walk for 4 months, but because of the tendon damage I have since done severe ligament damage to my ankle on 5 seperate occasions because theres no strength in the foot anymore which now means my ankle is pretty much screwed up for life.

Not great...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

Broken nose....basketball straight into the face *splat*
    Broken cocyx(arse bone/tail bone).....cant remember how I got this injury
    Split head open numerous times from snowball fights....clever people putting rocks in them:mad:

Funnily enough in all my years in karate/tae kwon do I never got an injury:D

Trustno1 reminded me....giving birth....felt nothing before or during....but afterwards...ouch that was painful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

Gave birth twice... ouch!.. and slipped two discs in my back, would rather give birth to 10 more kids than go through the back injury again :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Ah jaysus.... Almost every post is making me cringe and yet I can't stop reading.

I banged my finger in the door once was about the worst of my injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

First time roller blading I fell backwards. I tried to spin around so I could stop the fall with my hands but there was a street light next to me that caught my right arm and broke it. Cast for 3 weeks - back to business as usual, but no more roller blades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Last year, I cut my finger to the bone with the lid of a tin. Those things are fecking sharp! Got stitches and a tetanus shot (which hurt worse after than the finger...). I still feel sick though at the image of seeing the bone in my finger exposed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Rosedale6

Ive been really lucky in life the only thing that has happened to me is that i fell off my bike and grazed my knee as a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

Tore the ligaments in my ankle so often that they had to operate to graft fresh ligaments to my ankle. The problem would be a reoccurring one as my heel bone had fallen in due to the lack of ligaments so they had to break my heel and reset it.

Really regret not taking the anesthetic :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

I got hit by a car and broke:

3 fingers, arm, upper arm, ribs, collar bone, punctured lung, leg, toes, ankle. NOT fun. Plenty of stitches on my head!

Then I decided since I'm mangled and I have had a lot of foot surgery, that I'd go to Everest:

I dislocated 2 toes, bruised kindey so i was peeing blood, bruised ribs, burnt myself, scrapes and cuts and chest infection and food poisoning. That was pants!

Finally: Slipped in bathroom getting out of shower, toe went under door which closed, fell backwards onto the toilet and bashed my head. Horrible, and embarrassing to have to get my mother to help!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

When I was a kid, I was sitting on a skateboard while my friend pushed me as fast as he could.
    Got into a speed-wobble so put my left hand on the ground to stabilise myself.
    My friend stood on it and skated along on it for a bit which removed all the flesh on the first knuckle of my thumb.
    There was about a square centimeter of bone exposed and the amount of blood was unreal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

Got kicked in the thigh by a 17 hands high Irish draught horse. This fecker was so big he was called 'Arnie' - I kid you not. That, coupled with the fact that I was a whippet-thin teenager at the time, with legs like golf clubs, meant it was an injury I will never forget!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,870 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60731283&postcount=42

That was my second worst injury. I had a compound fracture to my tibia (Thigh bone exited my leg about 4 inches), shattered my knee-cap resulting in its removal, lacerations to my face and arms (no scars on my face thank God), Broken Forearm that was only discovered three weeks after being discharged from hospital on crutches.

My worst injury is too complicated to go into.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

My mam gave out to me for complaining about a really bad pain I had in my stomach when I came home from school one day in 1st year. It turns out that while I was writhing in pain, my Appendix was getting ready to burst :) That hurt. The pain after surgery was awful. I couldn't talk because it would vibrate my stomach or something. I couldn't eat or drink either. Awesome scar though!

A few weeks ago I was at my locker at school, and I was bending down to pick up my bag. *BANG* I whacked my head off a girl's locker that was left open. I staggered and felt very light-headed and nearly fainted. Cue lots of blood and a nice scar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

ever notice when your on service you don't even have time to think about your burns then when you finish up you start to feel really does put mind of matter into sense...

Ha ha, yeah, Bugger trying to work with half the tip of a finger missing too. "Chef, tie that up better, your getting blood on everything" Ah, the empathy.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I almost tore my baby toe off when i was about 11, i could see into my foot, it was cooooooool!!

Seriously damaged my back as a kid when i forgot to hold on before going down the firemans pole......that was my fault really.

A horse bit me when i was about 8. That was a good one, it left a massive bruise on my side! You could see the outline of the teeth and everything

I was knocked unconcious when my brother pushed me down the stairs and i rolled through the glass door. Ah kids....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭IsMiseConor

When I was like 4 years old I got really hyperactive after eating a packet of starburst and was running around the house super fast. Then I ran into a door and my head hit the door handle and split open... There was blood everywhere and I think I thought I was going to die. Anyway 3 hours later came back from Temple Street with my head glued back together and was fine... So wasn't that bad really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

I had to think about this one because I'm accident prone. Has to be when i feel into a rock quarry when I was 13/14. The 30ft or so fall resulted in me spraining my back and annihilating my left ankle (smashed to pieces). So bad, my ankle was after doing a 180 degree turn. My back made sure that I was more worried if I'd ever walk again than about my ankle because of a loss of feeling from the waist down. Those were the days ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Amarok

I was on my bike one day on my way back from Enniskerry along that road coming up on the m50 ''you know the one the long dark one'' when a bear came out from behind a car and attacked me gave me a bluddy gash down from my left shoulder to my right hip before taking of back down the road dissapearing into the darkness leaving me to die on the road luckely for me a few travlers came along and robed me not before calling an ambulance and making of with my phone but I survived not before receaving 3 allotransplantations, 6 finger joint replacments, 57 stiche staples and a blood transfusion took me a week to recover in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Just about popped a nut falling off a wall when I was 8, that has to rank fairly high on my list, walked like John Wayne for a while after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭lifelonglufc

So far in life....(and i'm only 20), in order of occurrence!!

Broken Arm
    Broken Ankle
    Dislocated Wrist
    Dislocated Shoulder
    Tore Both Hamstring Muscles, one of them torn twice
    Dislocated Finger
    Tore Medial Knee Ligament
    Damaged Achilles Tendon

However the most physical painful experience in my life: torsion of the testes (google it if you dont know)

Doesnt hurling and football just rock or what!! Heres to the future :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Fell out of a tree on to a galvanize fence. Legs apart. Not fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I used to have a pet rabbit and It was allowed into the house. One day it went behind the TV and was there for awhile . I put my hand around the back of the TV to grab him but grabbed the Power cable which he had been munching on. I couldn't let go for about 30 seconds as my brain was getting fried until the fuse blew in the Plug.After 20 years I still have a nice scar on my hand . The rabbit died of natural causes 3 years later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

Walking back to school from lunch and bent my foot on a hill and sprained it. Just had to wear a bandage for a few days, but my entire foot was purple!

Advertisement