Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so... I started playing rugby

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭EpiphoneSpecial

yeah, you're probably right. I just think that perhaps height is against me for most positions.

don't worry about that, sure you need big guys for some positions, but in my *cough* many years of playing, i have played with and against small, tall and large really good players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Dude I wouldnt worry about height/size. I'm 5 foot 7 and played J4 last year at 2nd centre winger and full back at age 20 and at 70kgs. Though im quite quick and nimble which helped me at times ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭theKramer

djcervi wrote: »
    Cheers for your help lads I really appreciate it. It's kinda surreal for me that I'm actually going ahead with this. I live in Terenure (I know an obvious club to join) but the thing is I used to go to school there, and so I don't think I'd feel comfortable playing for the club as 1) I'm afraid that the guys won't take me seriously, as I'm not exactly the rugby type and 2) when I actually did (the very short time) rugby they took it really seriously and,as a complete beginner, I don't need it.

You can also go to CYM rugby club. Its just down the road from you in Terenure.
    See http://www.cymrugby.com/location.html
    Its just off of Terenure Road North, 500m from Terenure Cross.

Preseason started this week. Tuesday and thursdays. WE have two teams. J3 and J4's. The J3's are a bit more serious, sunday games, but the J4 is grand.

Lads are all good craic, very welcoming of new members. PM me if you need to know more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Just a heads up for anybody, Navan RFC pre-season training starts this Saturday 25th of July at 2pm and then every Tuesday and Thursday at 7.30pm after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

slingerz wrote: »
    cheers for that have never worn a gum sheild before so it would take a bit of getting used to alright i'd say. what are the training sessions like generally like i've 0 ideas about what happens at a (training)session?

Most training at this time of year is basic strength and aerobic work nothing to hectic, depends on the club though. Should mostly be ball in hand stuff which will help you get used to that aspect of playing. We have a specific coach for new players but I'm not sure all clubs would have that though by the sounds of things in this thread Stilorgan could defo do with one lol

which club do you have in mind?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 JumAPond

How late do pre-seasons start?

Sport is addicting to some, I played american football here in the states for years through college level..and the first year I didnt something felt horribly wrong, so I took up training and did a marathon.

I'm headed to Dublin in less than 2 wks and want to take up rugby. I know i could go through the club team at school...TCD...but it seems huge. Would I be best going that way or through a true club team? Otherwise...its back on to American Football for me with one of the teams around Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

JumAPond wrote: »
    How late do pre-seasons start?

Sport is addicting to some, I played american football here in the states for years through college level..and the first year I didnt something felt horribly wrong, so I took up training and did a marathon.

I'm headed to Dublin in less than 2 wks and want to take up rugby. I know i could go through the club team at school...TCD...but it seems huge. Would I be best going that way or through a true club team? Otherwise...its back on to American Football for me with one of the teams around Dublin.

do you know where you'll be staying/living when you're in dublin? As for the pre-season start it really depends on the team. Some are only starting now and into august whereas these Stillorgan chaps seem to have been on the go a while now :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 JumAPond

Dont know for sure where I'll be living...either city center by TCD or south Dub 2/Rathmines/Harolds Cross...basically up in the air for the next few days ha. Does that make a big difference?

Just wanted to know on the training dates as I don't want to break into a club mid-training. I've kept above average fit since my football days (still do the same training 4 days a week) so it may be a lil rough at first I'm fairly confident I could keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,334 ✭✭✭Tefral

What a session last night. Truly excruciating.

Felt like crap all day yesterday and over last weekend, myself and a group of lads went to Scotland for the laugh, drank quite heavily, mcdonalds for breakfast etc etc and no training this week in the run up to the session last night meant I was really off form.

Went down at 7 and help load some gear on to the field. We started a game of Tip to warm up. Doddsy (the trainer) was busy setting up the circuits. After some hamstring stretches we hit the circuits, the first one was easy enough, basically involved a lot of passing and running.

The second one was painful; it was the first time tackling was used in a circuit. Knocking into those massive bags over and over really does take it out of you. Your trying to give it your all as the guy holding it is encouraging you to hit it more and more. By the time we were back to the start the water was been taken on in huge quantities. You get a moments rest, and back into it. I hurt my knee boosting off the ground when it came to the part of driving the person back in the lower end of the circuit.

When the 10min swap over came, I was delighted, only to be told our group had to run to the next circuit, it was a fast game of tip, but with a bit of a difference to teach us to be aware of our surroundings. By the time training was over, everyone was fecked, it was a serious training session. Next week we are moving on to more skills based training, so ill have to do more fitness training in my own time to make sure I don’t fall back.

My knee kind of came right by the time I hit the changing rooms. Covered in muck I was delighted to have the shower when I went home, made me feel much better. 2 chicken breasts and off to bed.

In work now and my legs are dead, my chest muscles barely have the strength to lift the calculator from the desk… however, truly I feel great. My body my be shattered from yesterday but I know it’s a machine made for adapting to its situations, next week ill be stronger for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭LeopoldButters

It certainly was a good session lastnight, good numbers too - i think it was about 65 players up....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭thebossanova

JumAPond wrote: »
    Dont know for sure where I'll be living...either city center by TCD or south Dub 2/Rathmines/Harolds Cross...basically up in the air for the next few days ha. Does that make a big difference?

Just wanted to know on the training dates as I don't want to break into a club mid-training. I've kept above average fit since my football days (still do the same training 4 days a week) so it may be a lil rough at first I'm fairly confident I could keep up.

Hey JumpAPond, Trinity do a preseason week long 'camp' from the 17th August. 2 sessions a day (11am and 6pm) every day for the week in Trinity and then after that 3 sessions a week (Mon,Tue,Thurs @6pm) until college gets back at the end of September, then it's 2 evening sessions a week and 2 morning weights sessions a week, all on campus. We start preseason later than most clubs as a lot of our players are not Dublin based. If you're in Trinity then playing for them is highly recommended. Plenty of Americans playing for us as well. If you want contact info or anything else just send me a private message.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

For anyone that is looking to start playing rugby, Tallaght RFC have started preseason training on Tuesday nights at 7. All levels of experience and fitness are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Very interesting OP! It's great to watch your progress from a fella starting (like myself), unfit from the office and getting fitter and stronger. Fair play to ya and I think you've definetly inspired alot of people to take it up. Indeed, when I started myself I'm surprised of the special team spirit that comes with rugby. Nobody gets left behind, everyone is included. There's not bitchiness or superiority complexes that tend to come with other sports. I think it may because there's a position for everyone in rugby.

Good to hear you're still going OP, keep it up. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

eeyore2502 wrote: »
    For anyone that is looking to start playing rugby, Tallaght RFC have started preseason training on Tuesday nights at 7. All levels of experience and fitness are welcome.

Lads whats the craic with hijacking the guys thread for your own gain your not the only one either.
    Be fair theres a seperate thread for recruitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

jumpguy wrote: »
    Very interesting OP! It's great to watch your progress from a fella starting (like myself), unfit from the office and getting fitter and stronger. Fair play to ya and I think you've definetly inspired alot of people to take it up. Indeed, when I started myself I'm surprised of the special team spirit that comes with rugby. Nobody gets left behind, everyone is included. There's not bitchiness or superiority complexes that tend to come with other sports. I think it may because there's a position for everyone in rugby.

Good to hear you're still going OP, keep it up. :)

Heading up myself for my first rugby training session tomorrow night in about 15 years (I'm 29 now). I appreciate that Tag is a completely different game but really enjoyed it this Summer and I suppose reading the good reviews on this thread kind of edged me over the line (cheers).

This could end in absolute tears but I'll never know til I try it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Would I be able to join when I know that I'm definitely going to UCD for college. Student sports clubs look for new people on freshers' week every year yeah?
    I keep thinking that hopefully there will be total newbies like me who will want to try it out.
    Well you would have to be a UCD student to play, so if you went to Trinity, you wouldn't be able to.
    I
    Right mate. Some points:
    As for clubs. Based on what your saying, I'd pick a junior club.
    Tallaght or Stillorgan. Get yourself a bike and cycle there.

As for your age, there are U20 teams all over Dublin. This level is changing to U19 next season. Now, suprisingly, this level is at a higher level than J4 rugby. So you might be better off going for a J4 team.

Pick Tallaght or Stillorgan. Maybe some of the lads who play for those clubs will give good advice, based on your background and age. The alternative, is check out your college team.
    Agree with most of what you have said. Though some things aren't correct.
    The league is actually going to be effectively u21's as the age barrier went back another 6 months.

The U20 sides are generally better than most of the J4 teams, but some colleges have several teams. I personally believe that if you are in college you should play for your college team as it is all people your own age and is a great way to get to know those in your college.
    If you end up in UCD, I would direct you towards the U20 B/C's, which would be much better playing against people your own size, age and ability.

Agree though that if you don't get into UCD/ Trinity that You should go to a junior club as they seem to be much much more welcoming of beginners.
    to keep them in place?! are they going to fall off or what? and i didnt think rugby players wore gloves? Do those shoulder pads help a lot? I think a gum shield is vital alright.
    Id discourage anyone new player from turning up at training wearing gloves, if after a while you feel they might benefit you then go for them, but on the whole they are useless.

Pads and gumshield I find can be beneficial although I havenºt used either in a couple of years, even in an AIL game.

With regards kit, does the club supply the jerseys, shorts and socks like soccer or do you need to go but the club shorts and socks? Would standard football boots do for rugby or do you need the specific rugby boots? presume some of those under armour vests would be helpful too for those cold winters days!
    Depends on the club, when I went to UCD first we bought our own, now they are there. Its not a big issue though.Also, how do they decide where to play you?! if you've never played before that is
    Wherever you seem most suited, you might have a flair for tackling, running kicking etc
    sickpuppy wrote: »
    Lads whats the craic with hijacking the guys thread for your own gain your not the only one either.
    Be fair theres a seperate thread for recruitment.

To be fair, they are asking about where they could start, I think it's all been pretty positive to be fair.
    Stillorgan should recruit plenty players from this, and I hope they do, but for others they might not be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Well you would have to be a UCD student to play, so if you went to Trinity, you wouldn't be able to.
    I

Agree with most of what you have said. Though some things aren't correct.
    The league is actually going to be effectively u21's as the age barrier went back another 6 months.

The U20 sides are generally better than most of the J4 teams, but some colleges have several teams. I personally believe that if you are in college you should play for your college team as it is all people your own age and is a great way to get to know those in your college.
    If you end up in UCD, I would direct you towards the U20 B/C's, which would be much better playing against people your own size, age and ability.

Agree though that if you don't get into UCD/ Trinity that You should go to a junior club as they seem to be much much more welcoming of beginners.

To be fair, they are asking about where they could start, I think it's all been pretty positive to be fair.
    Stillorgan should recruit plenty players from this, and I hope they do, but for others they might not be an option.

I wouldnt be into wearing gloves to training in August maybe when its cold and miserable in November. As for shoulder pads and stuff would a lot of guys wear them i dont think i'd invest in them until I was certain of playing the game and i'd get used to them. a gumshield is probably vital alright though. As for boots I'd assume ordinary football ones would do until the pitches get cut up then maybe some of the longer studs would be used.

As for gear I'd presume I'd have to get my own club shorts and socks alright but that the club would supply the jerseys. what about being a sub though would most clubs have tracksuits and would they normally release the team selection in advance of the match or is it in the dressingroom before they go out kinda thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Just in case ye are wondering where I disappeared off to...I e-mailed Tallaght RFC and i'm going training today at 7 with them. I'm kinda nervous as I don't know how i'll get on and also I don't know anybody there. I got a gumshield but I cannot find my old boots. I'm weary of buying new ones in case I don't end up playing after all. Also I don't have much money atm :o. I'll tell ye how I got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

uRbaN wrote: »
    Heading up myself for my first rugby training session tomorrow night in about 15 years (I'm 29 now). I appreciate that Tag is a completely different game but really enjoyed it this Summer and I suppose reading the good reviews on this thread kind of edged me over the line (cheers).

This could end in absolute tears but I'll never know til I try it :)
    Good luck. I was in a similar situation getting back into the sport after tag.
    Main difference is in rugby you have to make sure you give everything going into contact - tag of course teaches the bad habbit to do the exact opposite.

Also, never talk a pass standing still. You'll get away with it in tag but always run onto the ball so you have some momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

I wouldnt be into wearing gloves to training in August maybe when its cold and miserable in November. As for shoulder pads and stuff would a lot of guys wear them i dont think i'd invest in them until I was certain of playing the game and i'd get used to them. a gumshield is probably vital alright though. As for boots I'd assume ordinary football ones would do until the pitches get cut up then maybe some of the longer studs would be used.

As for gear I'd presume I'd have to get my own club shorts and socks alright but that the club would supply the jerseys. what about being a sub though would most clubs have tracksuits and would they normally release the team selection in advance of the match or is it in the dressingroom before they go out kinda thing

Essentials are Gunshield especially if any physical training as you don't want to lose any pearlers.
    Gloves don't see the point- you can either catch or you can't gloves don't really help.
    Shoulder pads not essential but would be no harm to get.
    Clubs generally provide jerseys for matches - you will need to get your own shorts, socks, tracksuits etc. Teams or squads generally announced Thurs(training session before game) as they need to make sure people are available etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

Just in case ye are wondering where I disappeared off to...I e-mailed Tallaght RFC and i'm going training today at 7 with them. I'm kinda nervous as I don't know how i'll get on and also I don't know anybody there. I got a gumshield but I cannot find my old boots. I'm weary of buying new ones in case I don't end up playing after all. Also I don't have much money atm :o. I'll tell ye how I got on.

How did you get on?

Luckycharm wrote: »
    Essentials are Gunshield especially if any physical training as you don't want to lose any pearlers.
    Gloves don't see the point- you can either catch or you can't gloves don't really help.
    Shoulder pads not essential but would be no harm to get.
    Clubs generally provide jerseys for matches - you will need to get your own shorts, socks, tracksuits etc. Teams or squads generally announced Thurs(training session before game) as they need to make sure people are available etc.

I'm looking forward to it now to be honest been doing a bit of kicking with the ball and learning how to spiral kick on the net with expert tuition from james hook and I'm after getting the hang of it! Watch out ROG!

Ya on the club website it says you can but the gear at different rates for the different combos so once i'm sure i want to commit then i'll go with that.
    I've noticed not many sports shops stock the shoulder pads thing if i am sure i'll commit to playing then i'd like to protect myself as much as possible so i'd like to pick them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,334 ✭✭✭Tefral

I'm looking forward to it now to be honest been doing a bit of kicking with the ball and learning how to spiral kick on the net with expert tuition from james hook and I'm after getting the hang of it! Watch out ROG!

Ya on the club website it says you can but the gear at different rates for the different combos so once i'm sure i want to commit then i'll go with that.
    I've noticed not many sports shops stock the shoulder pads thing if i am sure i'll commit to playing then i'd like to protect myself as much as possible so i'd like to pick them up.

I know elverys in dundrum defo do anyway. Upstairs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Good stuff most important part is to get comfortable ball in hand before you perfect you kicking- where are you going training. What seperates an average player is a good rugby brain - basically quickly summing up what is in front of you and deciding whether to run, pass, kick etc. So Spatial awareness is v important - playing something like tag should help for lines, passing seeing what is around you. It really all depends on what position you want to play of course mainly talking about the backs though.

eeyore2502 wrote: »
    How did you get on?

eehhh I got lost and couldn't find the place. I thought I had the number in my phone but I didn't. I went towards Old Bawn to ask one of my friends to show me.Then I kinda realised that I was really late and was afraid of getting stick for being late (my rugby school past came back to haunt me) I felt like such an eejit. I'm also really disappointed that I didn't get to play :(. Ah well. I think I'm better off starting in a club nearer to me or stillorgan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

eehhh I got lost and couldn't find the place. I thought I had the number in my phone but I didn't. I went towards Old Bawn to ask one of my friends to show me.Then I kinda realised that I was really late and was afraid of getting stick for being late (my rugby school past came back to haunt me) I felt like such an eejit. I'm also really disappointed that I didn't get to play :(. Ah well. I think I'm better off starting in a club nearer to me or stillorgan.

Head down to Stillorgan tomorrow for 7.30. It still really only fitness training and a bit of ball in hand stuff. Physical contact doesnt start till another week or two. The grounds are in Bird Avenue, where CUS play.

cronin_j wrote: »
    I know elverys in dundrum defo do anyway. Upstairs!!

Unfortunatley thats a bit far from where i am in cork!
    Luckycharm wrote: »
    Good stuff most important part is to get comfortable ball in hand before you perfect you kicking- where are you going training. What seperates an average player is a good rugby brain - basically quickly summing up what is in front of you and deciding whether to run, pass, kick etc. So Spatial awareness is v important - playing something like tag should help for lines, passing seeing what is around you. It really all depends on what position you want to play of course mainly talking about the backs though.

I just go to the local GAA pitch and mess around with a few buddies throwing the ball around and kicking it around. I'd like to play fly half but i'd say its a more difficult place to play maybe in the centre or full back but i wouldnt have the big pace associated with a winger

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Head down to Stillorgan tomorrow for 7.30. It still really only fitness training and a bit of ball in hand stuff. Physical contact doesnt start till another week or two. The grounds are in Bird Avenue, where CUS play.

I have a bit of a problem. The thing is I have to go away tomorrow with my family and next thursday I'll be coming back from a debs (Won't be home till about 8pm as it's not in Dublin) so that might not work. So does this mean I'm a bit too late to join?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭LeopoldButters

I have a bit of a problem. The thing is I have to go away tomorrow with my family and next thursday I'll be coming back from a debs (Won't be home till about 8pm as it's not in Dublin) so that might not work. So does this mean I'm a bit too late to join?

The League games dont start until Mid October so you will not be too late, its just the sooner you get into it the sooner your fitness and skills get better.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Unfortunatley thats a bit far from where i am in cork!

I just go to the local GAA pitch and mess around with a few buddies throwing the ball around and kicking it around. I'd like to play fly half but i'd say its a more difficult place to play maybe in the centre or full back but i wouldnt have the big pace associated with a winger

finns corner on washington street/patrick street stock all the gear. Thats where I got mine a few seasons ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement