Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so... I started playing rugby

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭rockman15

just a note to any beginner:

BUY A GUMSHIELD!!!

they cost nothing relative to getting replacement teeth should you have a clash. in most clubs i think its manditory to wear one even at training.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Tefral

First off want to say congrats to Mikedragon on the birth of his little baby.

Training was deceptively hard last night. It was much easier than last week I must admit, however it was all cardio based. This week after the warm up, we moved on to 4 different style rugby games. Skills training were the idea behind it. One of the games was a particular killer, where if ya scored or tagged someone you had to run back to your line and do 2 press ups and sprint back

You couldn’t really feel the burn as the games had a lot going on and took your mind from it. I really enjoyed it. Few dodgy passes from myself during one of the games, however I came right in the end.

Its mad looking at the more experienced lads just flawlessly playing together. I suppose they have been a team for many seasons.

We have a 7’s tournament coming up in two weeks and it will be full contact so looking forward to that. There’s a BBQ too and a session afterwards, it will be good to get to know the other players a bit better. I’m starting to become good at remembering peoples names. I will take along time but I’m sure ill get there.

Have noticed my legs have gotten a lot more defined and my shoulder muscles are developing from the training. I also have noticed I’m not out of breath as quickly. My lung capacity is definitely getting better.

We start training next week twice a week so ill see how I fair out. I have noticed today im not as sore in my legs or anything.

Till next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

cronin_j wrote: »
    First off want to say congrats to Mikedragon on the birth of his little baby.

Training was deceptively hard last night. It was much easier than last week I must admit, however it was all cardio based. This week after the warm up, we moved on to 4 different style rugby games. Skills training were the idea behind it. One of the games was a particular killer, where if ya scored or tagged someone you had to run back to your line and do 2 press ups and sprint back

You couldn’t really feel the burn as the games had a lot going on and took your mind from it. I really enjoyed it. Few dodgy passes from myself during one of the games, however I came right in the end.

Its mad looking at the more experienced lads just flawlessly playing together. I suppose they have been a team for many seasons.

We have a 7’s tournament coming up in two weeks and it will be full contact so looking forward to that. There’s a BBQ too and a session afterwards, it will be good to get to know the other players a bit better. I’m starting to become good at remembering peoples names. I will take along time but I’m sure ill get there.

Have noticed my legs have gotten a lot more defined and my shoulder muscles are developing from the training. I also have noticed I’m not out of breath as quickly. My lung capacity is definitely getting better.

We start training next week twice a week so ill see how I fair out. I have noticed today im not as sore in my legs or anything.

Till next week

Which numbered group were you in?

Luckycharm wrote: »
    Which numbered group were you in?

3mate.

3mate.

You were in my group which one were you?

• Advertisement

green irish jersey, black shorts

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭De Deraco

Since when was group 3 'your group' gar, hey cronin good thread, i was there also in the fiji top. Ill introduce myself proper on tuesday.

De Deraco wrote: »
    Since when was group 3 'your group' gar, hey cronin good thread, i was there also in the fiji top. Ill introduce myself proper on tuesday.

You werent the guy that i kept getting when you came to steal the ball were ya? blonde hair?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Ok, now I feel like a bit of a plank - I've been to all 5 pre season sessions and I still only know about 4 names and didn't know about any babies (congrats by the way, I'm guessing that was you in the stade jersey - hard to miss)! I guess I should just stop being such an anti social fvck-wit at training and maybe throw my name around a bit.

Oh, I was in group 4. I think... Or maybe it was group 1. Was wearing a navy Irish training top if I recall. Jesus, is my memory that bad?!...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Ok, now I feel like a bit of a plank - I've been to all 5 pre season sessions and I still only know about 4 names and didn't know about any babies (congrats by the way, I'm guessing that was you in the stade jersey - hard to miss)! I guess I should just stop being such an anti social fvck-wit at training and maybe throw my name around a bit.

Oh, I was in group 4. I think... Or maybe it was group 1. Was wearing a navy Irish training top if I recall. Jesus, is my memory that bad?!...
    You'll never remember all the names at this stage, but yeah definitely put yourself about and introduce yourself. It's easier when we break into smaller groups and you'll pick up a couple of names. Thanks for the congrats, that was most certainly my Stade jersey you spotted!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Any Stillorgan J4 players remember playing UCD at Belfield October 07?

I was the UCD no. 13 who ran an 80m interception only to get creamed by your winger and knock on over the line!

Still makes me cringe!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭LeopoldButters

Roll on the 7's on the 15th, you will get to know alot more lads then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I was the UCD no. 13 who ran an 80m interception only to get creamed by your winger and knock on over the line!

Still makes me cringe!
    Yeah, I played that. It was actually a J5 team with a couple of J4s to make up the numbers. Remember the tackle too. Our defender came from nowhere to stop that try!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Still makes me cringe!

whats your name?

whats your name?

Ross - played centre/wing/fullback for the Super 4s 07/08

You werent the guy that i kept getting when you came to steal the ball were ya? blonde hair?

Nope probally the louder annoying experienced (old fellow) player :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

Just finished my second (ever) training session tonight, and my legs fecking hurt!!! :(

Ross - played centre/wing/fullback for the Super 4s 07/08
    You coming back this year? Or going further afield? Good luck either way.

I had my first training session in preseason this evening, was tough enough. Finished with a 4k run! Legs not so bad now as we did a decent warm down, hence why Im posting, lads dont overlook the helpfulness and importance of a warm down, do a very very light jog, even starting with a walk, after you have finished your final fitness in the session, it will make all the difference the next day as the lactic acid dissipates faster as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Baldie wrote: »
    Just finished my second (ever) training session tonight, and my legs fecking hurt!!! :(

Who you playing for?

You coming back this year? Or going further afield? Good luck either way.QUOTE]

Thanks man. Nah im in the UK now and probably for another while yet! Actually togged out for Guildford last night and was amazed at some of the training practices re the contact area. I basically had to throw everything I learned as a player in Ireland for 10odd years to fit in! Explained alot :P!

So you training for UCD? Which team? Tbh dont think thered be many J4s out this early, if thats what youre looking for...there will prob be more of a turnout as college starts. If you get good numbers and have a coach or 2, you should have standalone J4 sessions. If not, youll have sessions with the J2s, which can be fun ;)

Anyway, keep us posted on how you get on!

• Advertisement

Training has turned to two nights a week now, and boy was last nights training tough. There is one thing running around and passing, completely different thing getting tackled and trying to get back up straight away.

We learned how to properly tackle fellas coming off a ruck, i.e. the inside man going lower than the outside man etc. I got tackled and both the lads came in on top of me, one of them managed to stand on my ribs and the other fellas knee came straight into the top of mine. So now I have 4 stud marks on my ribs and a lump on my knee cap.

The arms are killing me today too from doing the superman style abs hold. Got beat with a stick into the abs as well to make sure I was doing the bridge right too.

Doing the tackle bag training is tiresome, 4 tackle bags lined up and when you tackle one you move to the next as fast as you can, it really did take all my effort to keep going, the other lads were hurting too and the encouragement started to flow when you got your breath. There something about your team mate giving advice and encouragement to spur you on, its like they are giving you a tiny little bit of energy to get to the next hurdle.

I haven’t played a match yet, but I now have a greater understanding of when teams push for that last winning score at the final minute, such as Irelands match over Wales. When your body is worn out and the guy alongside you is as tired as you are, you both know what needs to be done and somehow without uttering a word you are spurred on.

I’m learning a lot more about how my body functions through all this, there’s no such thing as enough; it will keep going as long as someone is there to spur you on and as long as your prepared to keep going.

Im actually wrecked today, ill sleep well again tonight and come Thursday ill be prepared to give everything I can again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Training has turned to two nights a week now, and boy was last nights training tough. There is one thing running around and passing, completely different thing getting tackled and trying to get back up straight away.

We learned how to properly tackle fellas coming off a ruck, i.e. the inside man going lower than the outside man etc. I got tackled and both the lads came in on top of me, one of them managed to stand on my ribs and the other fellas knee came straight into the top of mine. So now I have 4 stud marks on my ribs and a lump on my knee cap.

The arms are killing me today too from doing the superman style abs hold. Got beat with a stick into the abs as well to make sure I was doing the bridge right too.

Doing the tackle bag training is tiresome, 4 tackle bags lined up and when you tackle one you move to the next as fast as you can, it really did take all my effort to keep going, the other lads were hurting too and the encouragement started to flow when you got your breath. There something about your team mate giving advice and encouragement to spur you on, its like they are giving you a tiny little bit of energy to get to the next hurdle.

I haven’t played a match yet, but I now have a greater understanding of when teams push for that last winning score at the final minute, such as Irelands match over Wales. When your body is worn out and the guy alongside you is as tired as you are, you both know what needs to be done and somehow without uttering a word you are spurred on.

I’m learning a lot more about how my body functions through all this, there’s no such thing as enough; it will keep going as long as someone is there to spur you on and as long as your prepared to keep going.

Im actually wrecked today, ill sleep well again tonight and come Thursday ill be prepared to give everything I can again.

I think you underestimated that part...........it was f*cking exhausting.

Went to training expecting doddsy (trainer) to go a little easier on us after such a gruelling Tuesday session, no such luck.

Started with our usual game of tip, and then straight into cardio based fitness. He had us constantly changing our manoeuvres, I presume this was to stop us getting used to one thing, and it was a total body work out. I had eaten a sandwich about 20 mins before training and after the 50 crunches I thought I was going to see it again.

We then went from that into contact training. Allot of learning went into taking the ball, running, tackling a defender and then lying on the ground. The trick was to keep your body in line and stretch your hands out with the ball for the scrum half. I kept curling up after I hit the deck, which would lead to all sorts of trouble in a game situation for my team mates. It’s something I will pick up as I get more experience I hope.

I hurt my shoulder when (it think its gift of the gab on here) ran into me, I held the bag out not really expecting the tackle at arms length, whatever way he ran into me it actually pushed my shoulder out, its tender today as the muscle is bruised. It’s my own fault for not taking the tackle correctly.

Not as sore today, my ability to recover seems to be getting much better; I suppose it’s the definition of fitness.
    I’m wondering is there much point in taking a supplement such as creatine? I used to take it years ago when I did Taekwon-do, but I used to use pretty much every muscle then, now it seems to be legs and shoulders... don’t know if it would do me any good?
    Looking forward to the 7’s mini tournament next Saturday. We are having a BBQ and a massive session after.

Till Tuesday.....

Thanks man. Nah im in the UK now and probably for another while yet! Actually togged out for Guildford last night and was amazed at some of the training practices re the contact area. I basically had to throw everything I learned as a player in Ireland for 10odd years to fit in! Explained alot !

So you training for UCD? Which team? Tbh dont think thered be many J4s out this early, if thats what youre looking for...there will prob be more of a turnout as college starts. If you get good numbers and have a coach or 2, you should have standalone J4 sessions. If not, youll have sessions with the J2s, which can be fun

Anyway, keep us posted on how you get on!
    Im training with the first team, I was coaching the J4s for a while last year, but due to work committments it doesnt look like i'll make it this year, was just checking to see if you were around, as we're always glad of numbers, last year we had 35+ training J4 alone which was great.
    . I had eaten a sandwich about 20 mins before training and after the 50 crunches I thought I was going to see it again.
    You should eat a minimum of 2 hours before training. Eating a pasta or rice dinner will really help your energy levels, surprisingly so, if you do it properly. I found a pasta dinner, with tuna and whatever sauce was brilliant for keeping me going through training.
    You should eat about 3 hours a match, and eat as much as you can take on board.

oh and i'd avoid creatine if I were you, just get a Protein supplement and take it after training, or glutamine is very good for recovery too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I'm not liking how you lads are doing so much pre-season training, you are setting a bad example for the rest of the junior sides around leinster :)

I for one hope I'm not playing against you at the start of the season, it'd be a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

I had eaten a sandwich about 20 mins before training and after the 50 crunches I thought I was going to see it again.

Never EVER eat curry chips before training...poor second rows....

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭Malmedicine

Im training with the first team, I was coaching the J4s for a while last year, but due to work committments it doesnt look like i'll make it this year, was just checking to see if you were around,

I thought you were a certain former Oxford blue? And it was hardly 4km although it felt like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

You should eat about 3 hours a match, and eat as much as you can take on board.

oh and i'd avoid creatine if I were you, just get a Protein supplement and take it after training, or glutamine is very good for recovery too.

Highlighted segments

I thought you were a certain former Oxford blue? And it was hardly 4km although it felt like it!
    No indeed not! Keefer?! lol

Who are you?
    ?

What exactly would you need explaining?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭Malmedicine

No indeed not! Keefer?! lol

Who are you?

The fat moany one at the back

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement