Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so... I started playing rugby

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

Inspiring stuff cronin fair play. in the middle of the Tag League and absolutely love it. There is a 3rds Team locally but am struggling to take that step, even though I would love to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭LeopoldButters

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Im from Walkinstown, pretty far away from the grounds but I have a car so its not a problem. I used to play for CUS in them grounds so I know them well. Can you tell me about Stillorgan? How often and what days they train in? Do they have a J4 team?

Walkinstown aint too far at all once you have the car. Stillorgan have a J4 and there is some serious work going into entering a J5 team in the league if the playing number are there.

Pre-season training started on Thursday July 2nd and this will run each Thursday in July, from August we will then start training on Tuesday and Thursday of every week from 7:30pm to 9pm in CUS Bird Ave.

Come up on Thursday and give it a shot and see what you think.

Guys.. are you still looking for players?
    Never played before but pretty fit 5'11 83kg and relatively fast and don't like to lose :D. I'm not the prettiest so dont mind my face getting messed up :)

Yes we are still looking for players and don't worry that you are new to the game, come up on Thursday and give it a shot.

www.dublinrugby.ie has more information or you can email the club at info@dublinrugby.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Walkinstown aint too far at all once you have the car. Stillorgan have a J4 and there is some serious work going into entering a J5 team in the league if the playing number are there.

Pre-season training started on Thursday July 2nd and this will run each Thursday in July, from August we will then start training on Tuesday and Thursday of every week from 7:30pm to 9pm in CUS Bird Ave.

Come up on Thursday and give it a shot and see what you think.

Might pop up some time. The thing is im just recovering from a broken ankle at the moment. So im only starting jogging this last while. It's going to be about 6 weeks to get back playing sports. Little bugger kept me out for months. Thanks guys, stillorgan seem very welcoming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Im from Walkinstown, pretty far away from the grounds but I have a car so its not a problem. I used to play for CUS in them grounds so I know them well. Can you tell me about Stillorgan? How often and what days they train in? Do they have a J4 team?
    I come to training from Greystones, so Walkinstown shouldn't be a worry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I come to training from Greystones, so Walkinstown shouldn't be a worry!

Would you not just head down to G/S J4?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

If you're not up for making the trek theres St. Mary's which is just in Templeogue. I'm not a member myself (still in school) but its close enough to you

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Would you not just head down to G/S J4?
    Played briefly for them, but following injury and having spoken with a couple of mates playing with Stillorgan I switched.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Played briefly for them, but following injury and having spoken with a couple of mates playing with Stillorgan I switched.
    Cronin_j - i should hopefully see you thursday - was away last week and only gonna get to wander up this week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Might pop up some time. The thing is im just recovering from a broken ankle at the moment. So im only starting jogging this last while. It's going to be about 6 weeks to get back playing sports. Little bugger kept me out for months. Thanks guys, stillorgan seem very welcoming.

Tallaght have a J4 team also. I reffed them at the beginning of last year and they looked very good for a J4 team. They have a South African coaching them and have a lot of lads from the Tallaght area as well as (I think) some lads who switched from Mary's. They have lads new to Rugby and lads who played for quite a while.

I nominated them for club of the year last year.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Ive just recently moved to Sandyford for work and Id love to start up playing again. Main fear is that id get lost trying to find the place :).

If someone could pm me with times for j4 training and really detailed directions from sandyford id be there!

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Fairplay to the OP scarey as feck that first night in training, I remember my first night training with stones at 19's and even though I knew a good few of the lads from school it still felt horrible but rugby is a friendly sport and it soon gets better!

Jaysus do all the mods on here play for Stillorgan, best be carefull who I hit if we play you this season :pac:

Davei141 wrote: »
    Reading this thread has made me finally want to join a rugby team, i have always loved the game but due to having no clubs near me its been hard to find a connection to get some tryouts or whatever, im from D11 does anyone know any clubs near?
    Unidare would probably be the closest and they are always looking for players!
    Mary's on templeville road would be closest but Tallaght may better for starting off, they play in the postal club in killtipper!

Getting itchy for a pre season to start now can't wait although this will be my last season playing probably!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I know how you feel Stephen n
    I watched the waterboy on E4 last night... now itching to get out and start hammering some skinny outhalfs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I was also in CUS. Judging by your age I was 2 or 3 years ahead of you. What's your name, I probably know you? Pm me with it if you want!

Bryn wrote: »
    I was also in CUS. Judging by your age I was 2 or 3 years ahead of you. What's your name, I probably know you? Pm me with it if you want!
    Bryn the stalker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Bryn the stalker!

Ah i've been called worse things :P

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ALH-06

stephen_n wrote: »
    can't wait although this will be my last season playing probably!

Why is that? What age do people usually stop playing???

I recently took up rugby again aged about 22, having only played pretty briefly in school. Was more into racket sports back then for some bizarre reason :confused:

Would just like to say to anyone who is even half-thinking of taking up rugby - DO IT, YOU WON'T REGRET IT!!! Please, please give it a try because if you don't, you'll regret it for many years to come... I finally bit the bullet and got involved, and I've never looked back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

ALH-06 wrote: »

When things start to break too often!!

20 is a pretty good age to retire imo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

cronin_j wrote: »
    First off its through this forum that i put up a quick question about joining rugby in the relevant sticky...
    Soon enough i was pointed to Stillorgan RFC... I checked out the website and sent off a noobie email and i got a reply within the day from a chap called mark...

I asked him all the usual "ive never played rugby before, generally unfit, couch potato" kinda questions and he answered them all diligently.

The reason i was asking so many questions is
    1. Im not from dublin (moved here from Limerick)
    2. Were they friendly? ( a big crux for me as i have had mates that have played rugby for years and came to dublin and tried to settle into a team and were met with very clannish "you didnt go to school with us or college with us" behaviour.

This experience had me quite frankly a little shy about the whole joining especially since i have never played before.

So i got an email last week stating if i was still interested, pre season training was starting on Thursday (02/06/09).

In truth as i drove in i was thinkin to myself "i wonder how ill get on". When i got out of the car, the lads knew i was new and everyone made a huge effort to say hello, and explain a little about themselves etc...

We did some basic fitness training, circuits, sprinting, stretching, and 2 games of Tag to warm down... Suffice to say i was sweating alot, coming from a period of no exercise, in an office enviornment, sitting down all day.

Coming away, i felt it was a worthwhile experience, and that i felt that the lads there were dead on and would genuinely help you out if they saw you were falling behind etc... Theres a really team spirit there...

The next day, i was a little worse for wear in that i was quite stiff, However ill be back down for the training next week and hopefully it will get easier...

Ill post up in here how im getting along, for those who are humming and hawing about joining a great sport and were in the smae position as me about not playing, generally unfit etc...

Well done, could be boardie of the year by the end of the year, wait is their a such thing?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

stephen_n wrote: »

Unidare would probably be the closest and they are always looking for players!

I was talking to a mate of mine i hadn't seen for a while turns out he plays for Unidare (well i think its them says they play out at DCU) told me they would welcome new players and will give me a shout for pre season. Cant wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I recently took up rugby again aged about 22, having only played pretty briefly in school. Was more into racket sports back then for some bizarre reason :confused:

Would just like to say to anyone who is even half-thinking of taking up rugby - DO IT, YOU WON'T REGRET IT!!! Please, please give it a try because if you don't, you'll regret it for many years to come... I finally bit the bullet and got involved, and I've never looked back.

I'm 37 will be 38 t the end of next season bit long in the tooth for a modern inside centre :)
    Davei141 wrote: »
    I was talking to a mate of mine i hadn't seen for a while turns out he plays for Unidare (well i think its them says they play out at DCU) told me they would welcome new players and will give me a shout for pre season. Cant wait!

Yeah that would be Unidare, may end up playing against you next season lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I stopped playing because I felt I was letting other people down. I'd go to training only for something to ache, sprain, pull, twist etc and then end up crying off for games.

I tried to do loads of weights etc so this wouldn't happen but it kept happening.

That was when I was 32. I then gave reffing a shot and I am 34 now. You don't get the same team buzz and you can be the end of a lot of stick which requires a very thick skin, (1/5 red cards in Leinster last year were for Ref abuse) but you are very much involved in the game mentally (constantly tried to read an make rapid decisions) and it's physically demanding trying to beat the flankers to every breakdown and then race across and get into position to make calls on tries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

Bollox im 32 and spent last season paying my physios mortgage.
    Might have to give that refereeing a bash or try and get one season out of myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Tefral

Whats this lads?? total hijack of my thread ha ha.....

Anyone wondering about the friendliness or anything, the ramblings of this thread should show ya its worthwhile doing...

Only 2 days left to training...

(for anyone wondering who i was, i was wearing the blue superman teeshirt, (ironic i know) i was gonna wear a munster jersey, but i wasnt feeling brave enough:o:D:o

More munsters than anyone else in Stillorgan. The only shirt you're likely toget stick for is a Leinster shirt. I remember the tee now. The irony wasn't wasted on me! :D jk

As for you Sickpuppy, I'd pay money to see you reffing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭aya14

cronin_j wrote: »
    Whats this lads?? total hijack of my thread ha ha.....

Anyone wondering about the friendliness or anything, the ramblings of this thread should show ya its worthwhile doing...

Only 2 days left to training...

(for anyone wondering who i was, i was wearing the blue superman teeshirt, (ironic i know) i was gonna wear a munster jersey, but i wasnt feeling brave enough:o:D:o
    FFS I spent 6 years of my youth trying to persuade you to come play with our local team but no, typical Limerickman had to leave to realise he missed the game.

Fwiw pal I'm taking the plunge next week gonna play Junior for a year. Haven't played since seniors in school as cronin_j will verify I like him used excuses like sure its too late now i've been away too long etc. I took up poker as my main source of income a while back so I am flexible regards training matches and the best part, the nights out:cool:

EDIT: anyone reading this from Limerick or its surrounds who's intersted in playing drop me a pm if you like I should be able to put you in contact with your local club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

More munsters than anyone else in Stillorgan. The only shirt you're likely toget stick for is a Leinster shirt. I remember the tee now. The irony wasn't wasted on me! :D jk

As for you Sickpuppy, I'd pay money to see you reffing!

Why sort of training are they doing at the moment? I was in Marys ground yesterday and they just seemed to be doing fitness. Is it the same in Stillorgan? Would you need boots and gumshield tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Fair play lads. For what's it worth I'd consider not bothering to do any weigths and just do the old reliables, press ups / sit ups etc.

You don't need to be able bench huge amounts to play Junior rugby and if you don't do weights the correct way you are wasting your time.

Whereas if you can do 100 press ups you are working a few muscle groups and you probably will do more for your overall fitness.

THis is a nice thread, and i don't want to piss on anyone's doorstep... but WHAT???!!!:)

• Advertisement

Peter B wrote: »
    Why sort of training are they doing at the moment? I was in Marys ground yesterday and they just seemed to be doing fitness. Is it the same in Stillorgan? Would you need boots and gumshield tomorrow?

It is mainly circuit training followed by a game of tag, there is no need for boots or gum shield at this stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement