Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so... I started playing rugby

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Tefral

TuesdaysYes I did turn up for training on Tuesday. Mike had given me the evils thinking I hadn’t turned up. I was thinking of changing to reporting once a week however, mike said a good few waiting to read...

So Tuesday’s session was a little easier than others. Particular emphasis was placed on running and agility training. New circuits I hadn’t done before were set up for us to negotiate.

For us new lads we were taken aside to do proper tackling training. We paired off and took it in turns to be the tackler and the attacker. I learned a lot in a short space of time. The main thing was to place my head on the opposite side of the fall during the tackle. Sounds like common sense (it is) but I really only learned this after being crushed once or twice. (What do they say about a burnt hand teaching best?)

I had a trapped nerve in my shoulder after a tackle and my arm had gone dead. I decided I would buy some shoulder pads for Thursday. Went home tired but happy.

Thursday
    Thursday’s session started off well, playing the opening game of tip I’m dropping the ball less and managing to throw the ball further. I still have to full get the knack of running on to the ball as its being passed.

We did some stretching and fitness training. This was based around a game of American football basically. However if we weren’t in the 22 you were out and had to do star jumps, pushups and running. The idea behind it was to make sure you always run up with your team mates rather than hanging back and assuming that someone else will help. It was tough, a lot of running as the ball could be thrown forward as well as back.

Next we did a circuit involving rucking. This was a toughie. Basically we had ten men in a team. A set of tackle bags was placed in the middle, then you had 1 man either side of the tackle bags with a tackle bag. One man at a time would filter in until you had the whole ten in, rucking, and picking. You then filter back down to one. It was tough; you really have to blow into the tackle bags because the guy holding would give out. The bags in the middle were to be jumped over and not knocked over, if you did you got 50 pushups and 50 crunches. The idea behind this was to become aware of men on the ground when rucking.

Mike and Shane really spurred me on as I started to run out of steam. My last hit I would liken it to the time homer was boxing training with Moe, and the fly flew in the way of the spar mitt, homer connected and the fly flew away. It was pitiful but I managed the full run. (Do remember about 6 weeks ago, I didn’t do anything except sit in front of a computer all day at work, and sit in front of the TV at home)

I’m really enjoying myself though, the lads are great craic and everyone is there to help you. I think as long as they see you’re trying 100% then that’s all they want. To be fair I aint the fastest running, (I have dislocated both my knees in the not so distant past and they haven’t been right since then) it doesn’t hinder me really but bending them is stiff.

We have an internal 7’s tournament tomorrow and a pissup then. I genuinely can’t wait. I have to say I haven’t regretted doing this one bit.

Till Sunday (ill update on the tournament)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Loving that diagram Jonathan. I'm assuming you're not a graphic designer by trade!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,710 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Another great post cronin_j

I must say I'm impressed with some of the drills and stuff that you'se are doing. I've trained/played with 3-4 times in different area's of the country at roughly the same level as stillorgan appear to play at, and the training session were never as varied or as intelligent (or as tough!) as the one's you describe.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I posted a while ago about wanting to join a team and finally had my first training session! gruelling stuff im in bits, cheers wouldn't of took the next step without this thread

I must say I'm impressed with some of the drills and stuff that you'se are doing. I've trained/played with 3-4 times in different area's of the country at roughly the same level as stillorgan appear to play at, and the training session were never as varied or as intelligent (or as tough!) as the one's you describe.

Just don't tell Doddsy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭accensi0n

I sprained a disc in my neck at Tuesday's session, can't train for the next week or so. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Reading your post's cronin is winding me up even more about still being injured :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Which one is Cronin?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

what position do you think you'lle end up playing croninj?

He was wearing one of those "Irish by birth..." Munster tee shirts on Thurs iirc.

@ Depp: he'll be a loose forward most likely, 7 or 6

• Advertisement

Loving that diagram Jonathan. I'm assuming you're not a graphic designer by trade!!! :D
    ha ha that was a master piece.... No im a quantity surveyor, spend my life look at drawings not drawing them thank god.

ya... the words "dynamic" are ringing in my ears... at least the body wont get used to just one thing...
    Davei141 wrote: »
    I posted a while ago about wanting to join a team and finally had my first training session! gruelling stuff im in bits, cheers wouldn't of took the next step without this thread

Congrats man, im glad its helped some people, the hardest part is showing up first day, after that its all good. (well except when your dying and need water) but no matter what, you'll live ha ha
    He was wearing one of those "Irish by birth..." Munster tee shirts on Thurs iirc.

@ Depp: he'll be a loose forward most likely, 7 or 6

That was me, ill be looking to go for no.6 hopefully... not quick enough for 8 anyway...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Just home for a shower. 7's were good fun :). Mike man handling 12 yr olds.. tssk tssk

He had it coming! Good day out...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

Oh, and I've heard nothing but excellent things about Stillorgan RFC myself. Seem like a bunch of sound lads.

That they are! I don't even play for them and they let me practise my kicking on their posts no probs (not in the way of course) Sound chaps indeed! If your new and wanna join a team join them or Guinness or maybe De Le Salle Palmerston. . :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

cronin_j wrote: »
    Till Sunday (ill update on the tournament)

So was cronin_j not there for the 7's on Saturday?? I missed it and was looking forward to the write up...

So was cronin_j not there for the 7's on Saturday?? I missed it and was looking forward to the write up...
    He was there alright....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭slingerz

my first training session tonight. god only knows how its going to go

Good luck slingz .. what team you with.

... we have training again tonight, ....now where did I leave that spare lung I need.:D

I'm already having 2nd thoughts just thinking about those "hemie moula's" or whatever the hell you call those "power laps" the coach makes us run:eek:

Yeah, Hennie Mollers are horrible. During the season you'll be doing one for every try conceded over the weekend... :D

Hey lads, sorry i havent updated. Ill do so after training tonight...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

I had suicides at training on Monday. After the main session. We had about 50 in total. It was tough. I've been doing a bit of training by my self to get into shape tho. Sprints mostly. I did long distance last summer and found it did sweet f.a. For me:o

Yeah, Hennie Mollers are horrible. During the season you'll be doing one for every try conceded over the weekend... :D

Hennie mollers - thats them!

I've tried including a few when doing my own training during the week - and they're twice as bad when your running them on your own!

ajeffares wrote: »
    I had suicides at training on Monday. After the main session. We had about 50 in total. It was tough. I've been doing a bit of training by my self to get into shape tho. Sprints mostly. I did long distance last summer and found it did sweet f.a. For me:o

Thats interesting that you would say that... I've been doing the long distance stuff for months now and while I find that it helps my recovery during training, im still boll**ed after the short, high intensive drills.

I think I'll jack in the long distance stuff.. (I have no intention of doing a marathon or anything like that) and start doing more sprints n' stuff instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Thats interesting that you would say that... I've been doing the long distance stuff for months now and while I find that it helps my recovery during training, im still boll**ed after the short, high intensive drills.

I think I'll jack in the long distance stuff.. (I have no intention of doing a marathon or anything like that) and start doing more sprints n' stuff instead.

I used to think the same, but its actually incorrect. You are setting up a fitness "base" if you do long runs, you are toning and losing excess fat around all the muscles which you use for short ones too.

You body is made to get tired after short sprints anyway, you will ALWAYS be tired after short sprints no matter what amount you do, sure even the guys in the olympics are.
    You will simply get faster and recover quicker, as if you are not tired after sprinting then you aren't giving 100%.
    (when I say tired you should be be able to do a medium 50% jog after it, and not be totally bolloxd!)

Firstly, Let me start out by saying I missed my first training session tonight, made it as far as the turn off for bird avenue when I felt unwell.. just about made it home....:o:eek: I'm gutted I missed the session however, ill be there Thursday.

Anyway, to the 7's matches.

I arrived down around 12.30 to see if there would be a warm up to find not alot of people there, then much to our dismay a bunch of cricket players started playing on the field.

As a result we were relegated to the Pitch. As there were so many players turning up, it was decided that we would divide the pitch in two to field 2 simultaneous games.

There were 6 teams in all and I was a member of team three. Some of the teams had allot of First team players on them. Thankfully probably the fastest man on the first 15 Timmy came late and joined our team. Another quick lad Alex was also on our team. They proved to be a devastating force. We came second overall that day and I was delighted to be apart of it.

To my experience of the Games: The first game I started as it was a condition that all new players start first. Within about 3 mins I had committed a foul by picking up the ball offside. Opps..:( I also had my first experience of a scrum. Its mad driving into an opponent like that. Thankfully my legs held firm and I didn't go back. All that running really takes it out of you especially since you have a lad coming in to wreck you. Taking a hit knocks you back a bit aswell. Thank god we had rolling subs.

The more the games went on, the more I got into it, however i didn't really have that instinct seasoned players seem to have to just arrive where the person getting the ball is and tackle him. Its something i'm assuming ill pick up from match experience. Reflecting on the day, I think I hung back from tackling a bit too, I should have got stuck in more. Maybe thats all the tag training mentality. I did put one big hit on one guy and a couple of other smaller tackles.

Afterward we got changed and had a few Beers and Burgers. Headed out that night to town. I had to attend a work do and went there after the Dropping Well.

Overall it was a good experience and a steep learning curve for me.

Pics:
    Im in the black
    Jonathan.jpg

Acting as scrumhalf
    jonathan9.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

Fair play Cronin J 6 new players tonight and old man Fanning were picked for the j2 panel for the spencer pennant qualifier on saturday so gives a great oppurtunity for new guys too compete for places.

There will be a match on saturday between j4s and j 5 it will be mixed so everyone will have a great chance to lay down a marker and put the hand up for a place on a team or panel greta numbers tonight again hope the weather holds for the next:rolleyes: 7 months

sickpuppy wrote: »
    Fair play Cronin J 6 new players tonight were picked for the j2 panel for the spencer pennant qualifier on saturday so gives a great oppurtunity for new guys too compete for places.

That's good for the new lads, there seems to be a few promising players there

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭thebossanova

sickpuppy wrote: »
    Fair play Cronin J 6 new players tonight and old man Fanning were picked for the j2 panel for the spencer pennant qualifier on saturday so gives a great oppurtunity for new guys too compete for places.

There will be a match on saturday between j4s and j 5 it will be mixed so everyone will have a great chance to lay down a marker and put the hand up for a place on a team or panel greta numbers tonight again hope the weather holds for the next:rolleyes: 7 months

What!? No J3 team this year!? And I had really been hoping to avenge our last 5 defeats to Stillorgan J3's! :P

What!? No J3 team this year!? And I had really been hoping to avenge our last 5 defeats to Stillorgan J3's! :P

The J3 team were promoted to the J2 league!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭slingerz

Good luck slingz .. what team you with.

... we have training again tonight, ....now where did I leave that spare lung I need.:D

I'm already having 2nd thoughts just thinking about those "hemie moula's" or whatever the hell you call those "power laps" the coach makes us run:eek:

cheers man i survived anyway although i'd have to go on a night of a bleep test.:mad:

did some kinda rucking drills where i wasnt sure what i was supposed to do but how bad. then the other new players i think there is 8 of us got special coaching on tackling, rucking and mauling. enjoyable enough just want to see what a game experience is like its mad trying out a totally new game like really out of the comfort zone of GAA and soccer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement