Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom DSL - DNS Lookups Slow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    I'm on Eircom brownband and it's as dead as a
    dodo, can't connect at all.

How do I switch to Open DNS and what's the risk ?

There is no risk whatsoever. Its just a server to resolve domain names

e.g. www.google.com; when you try and connect to this site your NIC/router will go to the configured DNS server and ask it, what is this server ?

The DNS server should then translate the www.google.com into an IP addy which then feeds the site back to your browser.

To configure it on your router go to 192.168.1.254 in your browser -> expert mode -> configure ( I think ) its been posted already how to do it and use OpenDNS Servers instead of Eircoms DNS..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnJericho

aidanodr wrote: »
    - Go to your router IP address (usually 192.168.1.254) in a internet browser.
    -

Very very stupid question from me, but i'm stupid with this sort of stuff. Where exactly to i go to change my IP address?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

Copy this 192.168.1.254 and enter it into a new address bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

Very very stupid question from me, but i'm stupid with this sort of stuff. Where exactly to i go to change my IP address?

Cheers
    why would you be changing you ip address? its your DNS server you want to change and its been said a few times about how to change it, in this topic and a few others

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Cheers

Ill assume you are using INTERNET EXPLORER and Windows?

So for the purpose of this exercise, leave the current Internet Explorer open ( the one you are looking at this page in ) and OPEN UP another one - click the IE Icon on your desktop again OR down in your start bar OR from your START Menu. If say you are opening by default at GOOGLE you should see its address written up top as http://www.google.ie - OVERWRITE this with 192.168.1.254

Aidan

• Advertisement

dazdrog wrote: »
    why would you be changing you ip address? its your DNS server you want to change and its been said a few times about how to change it, in this topic and a few others

He's not changing his IP ADDRESS, he just wants to know where to type the ROUTER ADDRESS in his browser ..

Aidan

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sar!

How is it that Eircom STILL havent fixed this issue yet?!
    Has anyone had any update at all?

Eircoms site wont even load for me atm but I can only assume the same msg is showing....

Sar! wrote: »
    How is it that Eircom STILL havent fixed this issue yet?!
    Has anyone had any update at all?

Eircoms site wont even load for me atm but I can only assume the same msg is showing....

yep they have the same notice from last week up!! wonder if they will give a half decent answer this time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Like so......

address_bar.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnJericho

Grand got it fixed, cheers

• Advertisement

when i go and change my primary and secondary DNS to the ones given at the start of the tread I get this error message:

[FONT=arial,helvetica]208.67.222.222 was entered for an IP Address Please reenter.

at the bottom of the page.
    what am i doing wrong?

[/FONT]

your entering it as a ip address not a DNS server, its teh dns ones you want to change

when i go and change my primary and secondary DNS to the ones given at the start of the tread I get this error message:

[FONT=arial,helvetica]208.67.222.222 was entered for an IP Address Please reenter.

at the bottom of the page.
    what am i doing wrong?

[/FONT]

If its the netopia router you are using look up the page above the DNS settings. What is your IP ADDRESS listed as? Might be called Static IP. I think it should be 0.0.0.0 and not 208.67.222.222

Aidan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

What's the difference between changing it on the router and changing it in your "Network Connections" settings (if any) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Changed mine and I'm back up and surfing

Got it

Cheers people

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

+1 mine uo too:) thanks guys......will this cause any issues? open to any particular theats?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Marchandire

I changed to OpenDNS and this does seem to do the trick :)

I'm a little concerned about possible security issues all the same - this site seems to suggest that OpenDNS can facilitate malware or phishing sites: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r19629260-Is-it-safe-to-use-an-open-DNS-rather-than-your-ISPs-DNS

Can anyone here clarify this? I'm really not tech-savvy (like most people I suspect) and I'd say most people would appreciate some informed advice.

Thanx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭RAWLiNGS

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    What's the difference between changing it on the router and changing it in your "Network Connections" settings (if any) ?

if you change it on your router then all your devices connecting to your router will use it automatically if IP set to automatic, so changing it on the router is the easy way

Snap!

Curse your brevity iceage ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Cheers guys! Seems about 10 times faster even on the pages that do work, and no timeouts, refreshes or missing images, etc, either!

Muchos gracias! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Straatvark

After two weeks of irritation I changed DNS servers - fixed, perfect. Thanks, dankie!

I changed to OpenDNS and this does seem to do the trick :)

I'm a little concerned about possible security issues all the same - this site seems to suggest that OpenDNS can facilitate malware or phishing sites: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r19629260-Is-it-safe-to-use-an-open-DNS-rather-than-your-ISPs-DNS

Can anyone here clarify this? I'm really not tech-savvy (like most people I suspect) and I'd say most people would appreciate some informed advice.

Thanx

If you read down along, Jerry666 says:

"... I've been using OpenDNS for over a year now and I love it. DNS requests are super fast (they use Anycast), and they have built-in phishing site protection (via PhishTank). Plus, their stats are kinda cool... "

Again - DNS is for domain name resolution from actual www name to its IP address. Best idea is go over to www.opendns.org - join up, its free - read the FAQs. I also have been using OPENDNS with Eircom BBand for over 2 years - no problems. In fact it was only I happened on this thread two weeks back that I even realised their was a problem with Eircoms DNS servers. This, as I was happily and blissfully trundling along with trouble free OPENDNS!

Aidan

Thanx aidan, thats good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Sorry lads, but when I go to my router settings (Netopia modem).
    Expert Mode > Connection

There are "Primary DNS Server" and "Secondary DNS server" there but both are blank! :confused: Will I just put in the address's anyway? How can I revert back if it all goes wrong?

jumpguy wrote: »
    Sorry lads, but when I go to my router settings.
    Expert Mode > Connection

There are "Primary DNS Server" and "Secondary DNS server" there but both are blank! :confused: Will I just put in the address's anyway?

Either blank OR 0.0.0.0 - just fill in the two OPEN DNS Ip Addresses and save / reboot. Job done

Its not going to "all go wrong", go on take a chance, you'll learn that way :D

Set them back to blank and save again if you wish later. It seems Eircoms DNS IP Addresses are dynamically assigned, that is got remotely by your router - hence the fact that the fields are blank OR have 0.0.0.0 in them.

Aidan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

aidanodr wrote: »
    Either blank OR 0.0.0.0 - just fill in the two OPEN DNS Ip Addresses and save / reboot. Job done

Its not going to "all go wrong", go on take a chance, you'll learn that way :D

Set them back to blank and save again if you wish later. It seems Eircoms DNS IP Addresses are dynamically assigned, that is got remotely by your router - hence the fact that the fields are blank OR have 0.0.0.0 in them.

Aidan
    Yey! It's working! That was an agonising 5 seconds. I can watch the shuttle launch now. Muchos gracias Aidan! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

will someone explain how do do it again from start to finish and how to change it back after?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Eircoms DNS is back on.... But for how long ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

mink_man

Open Browser and type in 192.168.1.254

Click "Expert Mode" followed by "Yes Enter Expert Mode"
    Click "Configure" Then "Connection"

Change Primary DNS Server to 208.67.222.222
    And Change Secondary DNS Server to 208.67.220.220

Then Click "Save and Restart Connection"

To go back to Eircoms DNS

Change Primary DNS Server to 0.0.0.0
    And Change Secondary DNS Server to 0.0.0.0