Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom DSL - DNS Lookups Slow

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Copyright

hey not sure if this is the right thread? but anyway here goes,
    my internet has been f**ked for a little over a week now,

Last week I was getting a DNS error on some pages, Then internet went for a whole day! red light on the router my mates had this too ( in my area not sure if it was outside of where I'm based aswell) Im in enniscorthy co.wexford btw, so I couldnt do nothing online all day then, it came back, didnt seem to get that dns error for a while but now some sites f**k up my broadband altogether, I cant stay on psn for any more than 5 mins at the most, On ps3 I get an error has occurred and you have been signed out of the playstation network, then when that happens my internet goes for a few minutes, dont get red light but any site I try to load brings me to my routers page , ( on pc,laptop,ipod touch etc ) Last night I reset the router, and didnt help at all really, today I Got red light for 5 mins when no one else in my area got it :confused: please help if you can, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Lupo_solitario

Red light means you have no dsl connection ,Could be the Hub for the area has gone down or your router has a problem,if no one else in the area had the problem well it has to be in your connection or router

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I've had the RED light a few times this week. First time ever.
    I wonder if they're trying to upgrade some stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Its back to being very erratic again and not much of a difference with the opendns settings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Copyright

openDNS isnt helping it at all either :(
    I rang eircom they said theres nothing they can really do and they dont notice any fault in my area

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

If you're still having problems despite switching to OpenDNS I would imagine you're being affected by a different issue - possible line-specific or local to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

Happening again ?? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

sunzz wrote: »
    It seems so.
    Switching over to opendns again solved the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

sunzz wrote: »

Switched to Open DNS ten minutes ago and my connection is fine since.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

*sigh* Here we go again .... WTF EIRCOM SORT THIS CRAP OUT!!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Same issues here in Meath. Been happening for the last week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Plascebo

Same here in Dublin 13, gone very erratic, what is happening... is this a short term thing with eircom, or something long-term?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

pain in the a%$e here in Carlow! going to do that open dns thing now:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

happening to every body on the Dublin server

DNS either jacked again or something as the same as last time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Going to change to openDNS then on ps3 aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

Yep, DNS server not responding to queries. OpenDNS seems like best option, been working fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭Sarn

Switched to openDNS as well. At least we can get around Eircom's issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yep I'm in Dublin (Northside) and it's been acting up again for me this evening. Youtube and Google very erratic. Boards doing pretty good but sometimes it goes off for me as well.

A shame because the last couple of days it's been working grand.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭jamesie_boy

hello everyone, how exactly do you get open dns to work??
    eircom is really f**king up on me here in meath:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

dublin exchange the past no. of days i've been using another DNS - it may be on the other side of the world but feels much closer - i'm leaving you.

EDIT: www.openDNS.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭measurement

hello everyone, how exactly do you get open dns to work??
    eircom is really f**king up on me here in meath:mad:

Search farther back in this thread, about a week or so (sorry) and you will find the details. No point in me searching and repeating, since I've already changed over.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mindstorms

Seems to be happening here in Cork too - but only recently. Was on this morning and all was fine. Now, every second or third page stalls while the DNS (I assume) tries to resolve the host name.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭RareVintage

My mail app went offline at 5.30, then everything slowed down and now the router diagnotics says it cannot connect to Eircom.

Who would want to disable Eircom? Did they piss off Kim Jong Il or something?!
    I read one comment after the last time this happened suggesting that hacker-teams (private or governmental) are using an attack on Eircom to test new disabling programmes... domain name server poisoning!
    Official advice suggests you make sure your source code is thoroughly cooked and always wash your keyboards before handling virtual data!

You can imagine that there's one stressed out, underpaid, guy at cash-strapped Eircom who constitutes the security "team".... "Feckin' Kim feckin Jong Il, Oi'll feckin poison his feckin dns the gobshoite, .... my feckin day off as well...."

I didn't bother messing with changing the router settings over to OpenDNS after the last attack (not a techie and scared!) but I suppose I'll give it a go.

Oh well.... one question though... how come this website worked (albeit very slowly)? I can't load any other website right now but this one works.
    C'mon techies, explain that one!

All the best from sunny Cork

Interesting situation with Eircom this evening.
    I've changed to the open dns settings, so I've got Google etc. However, although I can access www.eircom.ie, I can't access www.eircom.net. Nor can I send/receive from my webmail account with eircom.
    HOWEVER!!!!! when I changed the account to send from to Gmail (in Outlook), even though the outgoing SMTP is mail1.eircom.net, it sent ok, even though it wouldn't send from my eircom account.
    Is this because the webmail server has specific problems, but the mail sender software is working, I wonder?
    That UPC/NTL offer to change to digital tv + phone + broadband is looking good. Does anyone know if they will wire the router up in a different room from the tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭RareVintage

that worked after 5 re-sends!
    Suppose I'll read a book instead...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

openDNS:

msrmt put them into your router's DNS settings, primary and secondary. at least that can still be accessed through our browsers - do likewise for other devices that require it

EDIT: jamesie soz - damn weed

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think this is the worst I've experienced. :(

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

Oh well.... one question though... how come this website worked (albeit very slowly)? I can't load any other website right now but this one works.
    C'mon techies, explain that one!

Caching (of the address, not the pages). The slowness is due to changing ads and graphics coming from other non-cached domains.

And perhaps the eircom DNS isn't in a completely vegetative state, so that it manages to serve one or two requests every now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

lol, I thought it was back again because google started working again for me, but it's not *cries*

Thank GOD boards still works!!

• Advertisement

Star Bingo wrote: »
    openDNS:

msrmt put them into your router's DNS settings, primary and secondary. at least that can still be accessed through our browsers - do likewise for other devices that require it

EDIT: jamesie soz - damn weed
    Thanks for the suggestion. I've actually done the DNS change on the Netopia already, and the D-Link router doesn't care, so I have www ok. However, I can see incoming mail (using Mailwasher) but when it arrives at Outlook, there is a failure.
    On the other hand, despite my earlier post, I was able to send a test to myself (no error this time on send) but receiving isn't working. must be the retrieval from the Eircom mail server, but I'm going to re-boot in case Outlook has got itself in a knot.

must have heard me - email working ok now though the eircom.net site still won't respond. Are their electricians back at work?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement