Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom DSL - DNS Lookups Slow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭RareVintage

flav0rflav wrote: »
    And perhaps the eircom DNS isn't in a completely vegetative state, so that it manages to serve one or two requests every now and again.

A bit like the Irish economy then?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭eezarthegreat

You'd swear there was a hamster in my router...slow as **** here

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

DNS back down again today. Just after fixing the neighbours computer with an opendns settings.
    Pain in the ass is that eircom support last week swore blind that it wasn't a dns server problem. Idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

This is happening way too often...

What are the risks /disadvantages of Open DNS?

Now playing: The Chemical Brothers - In Dust We Trust via FoxyTunes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Acoustic

seriously considering telling eircom to F**K Off

serious pain in the nads with them now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Requests can be slower as your ISPs nameserver are usually a lot closer and there more private. But, its something you probably wont notice very much.

Other then that.. nothing really. Some might claim its not safe as its public, but the general finding is that its safer then ISPs NS are more pron to attacks and downtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Saggitarius

I'm not fully qualified in IT but what is the situ actually?
    The ping is OK to eircom.net but the comprehensive netw. statistic for each protocol give me an interesting results at IP section.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Has anyone got the official word from eircom about what the hell is going on?

My Internet was fecked last week, grand at the weekend and now it's gone again! Sick of this crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Whiplash

swithed to opendns and all is working perfect

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Has anyone got the official word from eircom about what the hell is going on?

My Internet was fecked last week, grand at the weekend and now it's gone again! Sick of this crap.

I'm totally agree with you. The best in all: the "own" -eircom.net- site is impossible to reach, the eircom.ie is still running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Whiplash wrote: »
    swithed to opendns and all is working perfect

Yup, two laptops in the house here, switched one of them to opendns and running fine, t'other is acting the maggot.

Gonna change the settings on router me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Sweet jesus is it slow today, poor hamsters must of died. Somehow boards though isn't too bad but still terribly slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

i switched to opendns and cant get connected at all now! i am using my meteor phone to post this! also the eircon.net dns settings don't work. maybe i am doing something wrong? i opened the router page in firefox and can change the dns and save it but the router fails to connect. the internet light on the modem router is red.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    i switched to opendns and cant get connected at all now! i am using my meteor phone to post this! also the eircon.net dns settings don't work. maybe i am doing something wrong? i opened the router page in firefox and can change the dns and save it but the router fails to connect. the internet light on the modem router is red.

A couple of days ago did for me as well. I'm restarted the router and run everything fine till today evening. I can reach some pages very slowly and some running OK exempt eircom.net

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I wont pretend to know why my internetz has gone to sh*te but I am getting mighty p*ssed off at them.

I give up for tday and I going to watch TV. Hopefully it's be fixed up to tmrrw.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Star Bingo wrote: »
    openDNS:

msrmt put them into your router's DNS settings, primary and secondary. at least that can still be accessed through our browsers - do likewise for other devices that require it

EDIT: jamesie soz - damn weed

Done and it works, but do I return to default when Eircom have sorted out their issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

I can't get the opendns site to load.

EDIT: nevermind, thanks Star Bingo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Acoustic

I can't get the opendns site to load.

EDIT: nevermind, thanks Star Bingo

type in 192.168.1.254 into the address bar

expert mode > config > connection

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

Just spoke to a friendly eircom tech who told me to use the Open DNS settings as above ..

He apologied profusely and said that all 3 DNS servers had crashed tonight and they were trying to reboot them ..

He also said to log a complaint on 1800 200481 to get a broadband refund

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mindstorms

Just changed my LAN connection to poke OpenDNS first and it's working much better now. There is a very slight pause when you load a new web address, but then is perfect after that. Will keep with OpenDNS for a while. Will also give Eircom and call tomorrow to log a complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Just on to my Sister, switched her to opendns also, all fine now on the browsing side.

BUT - Any of you using @eircom.net email addresses?

Go check, they are now flaky also. Not working tonight OR are slow OR are intermittent.

EDIT: checked again, email working again .. not holding my breath though!

And before anyone panics - OPEN DNS settings DO NOT interfere with your eircom email and / or emails. As I explained a good bit back DNS Servers handle real address translation - eg www.eircom.net - to that sites associated unique IP address - eg 200.200.200.7

WHY does this translation happen? The "internet" does not understand the addresses we type, it understands the IP address numbers. The DNS servers translate your browsers real name request to its associated unique IP addy and then delivers the requested page to you to see.

Where emails are concerned they use different server systems - namely POP / SMTP and / or IMAPI servers.

It would seem Eircom are having trouble with these tonight also

Cheers
    Aidan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    Done and it works, but do I return to default when Eircom have sorted out their issues?
    Just replace the OpenDNS server entries with 0.0.0.0 and restart your to return to eircom settings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Changed to OpenDNS on the router & steaming along now.
    This DNS thing has been going on for months with eircom.
    Has there been a valid reason given for all the problems ?.

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Changed to OpenDNS on the router & steaming along now.
    This DNS thing has been going on for months with eircom.
    Has there been a valid reason given for all the problems ?.

Suspected hacker attack on Eircom internet service

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0708/1224250235657.html

As per times last week ..

Aidan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I'm on Eircom brownband and it's as dead as a dodo, can't connect at all.

How do I switch to Open DNS and what's the risk ?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭corkandproud

those openDNS addresses have me back up and running.

Will I need to revert to the original settings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

Thanks for Star Bingo for the information and everyone else who has given out advice. This happened to me for the first time tonight, and I thought it was due to the lightning strikes in the area earlier but having read this it seems as if the issue is affecting me too but I entered the new dns numbers and everything is working perfect. Cheers

Can I just leave the settings as they are now?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    I'm on Eircom brownband and it's as dead as a dodo, can't connect at all.

How do I switch to Open DNS and what's the risk ?

What do you mean by cant connect ?

Does your router have all green lights on

• Advertisement

As I stated and others a good while back - SWITCH YOUR ROUTERS PRIMARY AND SECONDARY DNS Settings over to OPENDNS. Assuming you have the Eircom Netopia Router read the following ( ala Isaac702 a while back ):

- Open your browser. Go to your router IP address (usually 192.168.1.254) in a internet browser. Type this address in the address bar where you have http://www. whatever at the moment.
    - Click Expert Mode in the left hand menu. Then click on "Yes, enter expert mode".
    - Click on Configure in the left hand menu and then click Connection in the list that appears.
    - On this page you get a area to type in the Primary and Secondary DNS Addresses ( maybe currently set to 0.0.0.0 for both ). This is where you type in OpenDNS's DNS Addresses:

Primary: 208.67.222.222
    Secondary: 208.67.220.220

- You then click Save Changes and restart the router.
    - You should now be on OpenDNS's DNS Servers. If you want to go back to using Eircom's again simply remove OpenDNS's IP Addresses.

Your problems ARE more than likely the same as everyone else.

PLEASE NOTE - their are MANY different routers on the market. RTFM and find out how to change DNS addresses for your own router to above. Impossible to cover all routers here.

LEAVING YOUR ROUTER SET TO OPENDNSes DNS IP ADDRESSES DOES NO HARM TO YOUR ROUTER OR INTERNET CONNECTION. NEITHER DOES IT INTERFERE WITH YOUR CONTRACT WITH EIRCOM. JUST LEAVE THEM THERE FROM HERE ON, THEY ARE FINE!

Aidan

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement