Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eircom DSL - DNS Lookups Slow

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Sully wrote: »
    Were those services working since you moved to OpenDNS? If you have not tried, you may need to update those applications settings. If it has worked, then I am unsure.

yeah , I was using teamspeak and company of heroes last night after I changed to opendns and all was good ... something has changed in the last 30 minutes or so .

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Skype is unusable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

just to add

>tracert 193.93.44.93

Tracing route to teamspeak.rackage.com [193.93.44.93]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.254
    2 * * * Request timed out.
    3 8 ms 7 ms 9 ms 86.43.244.253
    4 * 243 ms 243 ms ge1-1.corea.the.london.eircom.net [159.134.192.1
    66]
    5 * * * Request timed out.
    6 * * 244 ms linx2.rackage.com [195.66.227.8]
    7 244 ms 244 ms * teamspeak.rackage.com [193.93.44.93]
    8 248 ms * * teamspeak.rackage.com [193.93.44.93]
    9 227 ms 229 ms * teamspeak.rackage.com [193.93.44.93]
    10 227 ms * * teamspeak.rackage.com [193.93.44.93]
    11 228 ms * * teamspeak.rackage.com [193.93.44.93]
    12 * 232 ms 228 ms teamspeak.rackage.com [193.93.44.93]

Trace complete.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

So does it appear to be more than a DNS problem now then?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 romdjoll

Open DNS seems to be having its own troubles this evening.
    Constant d/c from WoW servers, won't hold connection long enough to log in properly - and the server I play on ain't down.
    Logged in earlier this evening and now it's all gone horribly horrible wrong ; )

Pages are taking aeons to load too, boards is fine, but anywhere else is crawling.

Anyone know what's up with open DNS?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

same here, was perfect up until about 15 mins ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Gods

in waterford here lads..
    boards and google brousing bearly working only happened in last 20 min or so.. yet again exact same last nite.. im on eircom dns.. i switched to open but same issue.. eircom seem to be rebooting alot of something.

this problem is out of control.
    they wanna admit defeat and co on ..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

wow torrents at 1 kb/s....... I'm officially bored yet again...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

All systems online for OpenDNS:
    http://system.opendns.com/

Always first point of call is checking your browser - are you able to visit common websites like the BBC, Eircom, RTE and Facebook?

Try clearing your cache;
    Start -> Run -> cmd -> ipconfig /flushdns

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

Alright I can confirm there appears to be some issues in Limerick as I type this.
    I'm using OpenDNS and browsing is fine.
    Simple ping tests are turning up fine as well.
    Gaming is completely unplayable however.

I'm going to run a packet trace via the Limerick BRAS, see if that turns up anything interesting. Though if I recall for Limerick anyway and certain parts of Dublin there was an ongoing issue for months in that certain Eircom BRASs were loosing packets and that Eircom didn't have any short term plans to fix this particular problem which is outside of DNS issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Guys,

Have to tell ye - I am here in carrigaline, co. cork and using open dns - for what its worth my BBand ( 7mbps ) has been and still is rock solid - no issues with open dns - YET :(

Aidan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

I can browse okay now it seems, but logging into wow seems next to impossible :(

wait browsing slowed down again, its been the same the last 3/4 nights in a row, what are they doing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

for those having problems now make sure you added 208.67.220.220 as the secondary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 mmcm888

Just reset back from OpenDNS to the Eircom DNS servers. Quick test with nslookup showed they were working fine - Seems they were doing 'maintenance'. Looks pretty bad that they have not identified the problem and put some sort of workaround in place in over 24 hours.

Smells more like some sort of DoS type attack....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

Not as bad compared to yesterday.
    Mirc working fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Gods

tryed skullys advise and flushed my dsn using eircom dns again in waterford..

im back up and running my rapid share is on again yippy

hope its keep online this time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Things seem to be back to normal again, at least on the eircom side. Haven't tried using OpenDNS settings yet to see if they're working.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

Alright I just did a test of 100 packets to boards.ie via the Limerick BRAS I'm on (BRAS 2).
    For the technical readers out there i'm using MTR: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTR_(Software)

On average the BRAS is loosing 42% of packet I'm sending it and there's an average of 5% packet loss on each of the 4 hops from the BRAS to boards.ie.

Gaming is a lot more sensitive to such conditions hence why web browsing, messaging etc seems fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 romdjoll

Hmmm... from the above it looks more like this is Eircom again.
    My speed is varying wildly on speed tests.
    If Open DNS isn't fixing whatever DDOS Eircom is being hit with, as in, if it's MORE than their DNS servers that are affected (that could have just been a symptom), then they're in serious trouble, and their customers deserve a bit more than vague statements about "unusual volumes of traffic".

I have a funny feeling that they don't really know what's going on themselves, but I wish they'd find out and fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Interesting thought for the day -

EIRCOM still not telling us what the "Real" problem is? saying instead that it is caused by “unusual and irregular volume of traffic”.

If in the end it turns out that their DNS servers were compromised, how many people have shopped online with credit cards, used passwords and the like during this period of “unusual and irregular volume of traffic”. Has any of this info gotten into wrong hands?? particularly if it is a DOS attack ( Denial of Service )

So their - started the conspiracy theory and panic now havent I? :D

Aidan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭measurement

aidanodr wrote: »
    >>>>
    As Sully said - your issue is the public IP ( dynamic ) assigned to you and your router NOT The DNS. As I have said many times I have been using OPEN DNS for two years or more WITH Eircom addys setup in my email client. All works fine. DNS servers are for domain name to IP addy translation services. Pop / Smtp / Mapi servers along with things like MX Records and so on handle the mail side. ( All kept simple ish again ).
    >>>
    Aidan

Ah! the final link in the chain. Thanks for confirming the email will be ok. While I've been in IT for xx years, I'm not a techie, so didn't understand it all.
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Back to normal here too, this is getting lame though. I don't pay €50 pm for this kind of shoddy service.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I've noticed some problems on different sites. Wasn't able to access the BBC website a few minutes ago but I can now. Boards has been working fine but it's slower than normal.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭mike2084

Everything on OpenDNS works well but my Outlook Express won't work!! How do people who are always on OpenDNS get around this other than using webmail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Sully wrote: »
    Most companys will never directly admit to being the source of an attack, and besides, its pretty much speculation as we never got a direct admition. All we have are the symptoms and in the press releases there seems to be a hint ("an unusual and irregular volume of internet traffic being directed onto our network") but its never directly admitted.

The statement was released after the problems were fixed. Since most people could not access the Eircom website when the problems were there, it would have been pointless. There was a phone announcement before you reached any customer care agent advising they are aware and working on the issue. It would be to awkward and confusing to explain over the phone to everyone to switch - even on Boards a lot of people are still confused even when its in black and white! I don't see the problem with them not taking time to go into specifics and also explain an alternative system, which I explained in my earlier reply to you.

i don't care what most companys do, i expect them to be honest.

communicating is never pointless sully. the point is to _put_ _out_ _a_ _statement_ admit the problem, word would have got around, they often put statements on the radio when the mobile network goes down, (if this was happening during the worktime they probably would have with this too),the problem was intermittent , ie was likely to happening again, were they running short of pixels on the _broadband support_ page to give people _ support_?

and lets quote this now
    The statement was released after the problems were fixed.

don't feel the need to answer for eircom sully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

what is this all about... a pissed off eircom worker who got sacked taking revenge ?

my connection in D 22 just seems to slow dramatically then stop completely !

i just my connection link on the desktop and says the primary and secondary DNS are unavailable then they both change links !

EIRCOM INTERNET SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
    Customers may have recently experienced delays in web browsing and may have been unable to access the Internet. In some cases, customers may have been redirected to incorrect websites.
    This issue has been caused by an unusual and irregular volume of internet traffic being directed onto our network, and this impacted the systems and servers that provide access to the Internet for our customers.
    eircom is working continuously to minimise the impact for customers and has taken a number of steps, including software updates and hardware interventions, to fully restore internet service.

anybody know the real deal ?

when will this all stop and go back to normal internet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Yep, seems to have gone tits up again in the last 10 or 15 minutes or so. OpenDNS is still working this time around, though. eircom really needs to get to the bottom of this ASAP and stop pissing us about with lame excuses too.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yeah can't access Google in the last 15 minutes. Youtube working for me but at a snail's pace. Boards still working but a bit slower than normal.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

WTFcking hell is going on :(

NEVER had this trouble with BT. Is cutting the corners price-wise on internet going to turn out the same as food?

Low price, low quality?

Shame really.
    And why are there so many Aidans in this thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Nutmeg

Ahhhh, I thought last night was just a problem with my router and when I woke up this morning and things were fine I thought that was that. Low and behold from about 10pm onwards my internet is all over the place again. I try to get on eircom.net, gmail, bbc and boards and they all timed out. I finally get on boards and realise I'm not the only one.

This is really annoying me now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement