Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012, what's it all about?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

HouseHippo wrote: »
    otherwise we would have this planetery realignment of "pola shift" every year which would be catastrophic, according to leading scientists , theoretical physicists and y college books its a 26,000 year cycle...

I did; youtube tags do not constitute proof of credibility.

You should be citing the above - peer reviewed articles, journals, books, college texts. Instances where his work has been subjected to critical appraisal - as I am sure it has.

I am not goading you - there is no need for hostility, I am merely suggesting a better standard of argument

• Registered Users Posts: 25,227 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

I don't believe in any of that mayan Bollox show me where i said i did.....if we are all gonna die in 2012 which we prob aren't i have better things to do than argue with some stranger on the net...good day to you sir
    Ah my mistake.

You are a believer in all that Nostrodamus nonsense.
    Nostradamus used to predict his 2012 theory,i believe this galactic alignment only happens once in the region of 26,000 years

The video you linked is him talking about a solar cycle that reaches it's peak every 11 years.
    The is nothing to suggest this peak will be any different that the other ones. And it has no connection what so ever to any alignment of anything.

You've also claimed that there was a 26,000 year cycle and that this information is in college books and believed by scientists.
    Have you any evidence to this effect?

King Mob wrote: »
    You've also claimed that there was a 26,000 year cycle and that this information is in college books and believed by scientists.

He might be talking about the precession of Earth's axis which has a period of about 26,000 years. This phenomenon has nothing to do with 2012 or any of the other nonsense mentioned in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Ah my mistake.

The video you linked is him talking about a solar cycle that reaches it's peak every 11 years.
    The is nothing to suggest this peak will be any different that the other ones.

Well its all being explained on the History Channel right now and they are confirming the 26,000 year cycle( its the rotation of the constilations ) and the calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Ah my mistake.

Thats pretty condescending.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

Ah my mistake.

You need to start putting the words 'in my opinion" infront of all these statements you keep making. So can you state then with 100% certainty that it is indeed "nonsense" as your so elegantly claiming, or is it just your "opinion"? I actually thought we were pass this...

The is nothing to suggest this peak will be any different that the other ones. And it has no connection what so ever to any alignment of anything.

your a great man for demanding evidence, when your asked it for yourself you often provide wikipedia links as your "proof" your words not mine. Id like to respectfully point out that wikipedia should only be used as a basic reference point to further research. The fact that anyone and anything have the ability to edit wikipedia pages, well lets just say its hardly "proof" now is it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

Ah my mistake.

LOOK HERE

I Never said what I believe in I don't believe any of that ****e not that ist any of your business,you are carrying on like a child

My original post was about that solar cycle WHICH HE SAID COULD CHANGE LIFE AS WE KNOW IT!

if you are going to argue at leat read the FCUKING post and stop being snide and arrogant.I said i'm no longer intrested in arguing with you as you have a bad attitude and refuse to accept what anyone else thinks.
    I know what I study in college I'm not sending out pictures of my college material
    you present your fcuking evidence mr support blah blah when i do send you evidence you just discredit it

AND DONT DARE make one more assumption about what believe

WakeUp wrote: »
    You need to start putting the words 'in my opinion" infront of all these statements you keep making. So can you state then with 100% certainty that it is indeed "nonsense" as your so elegantly claiming, or is it just your "opinion"? I actually thought we were pass this...
    It's my opinion. That opinion is based on the fact that Nostrodamus never predicted anything with any accuracy.
    It was also meant to be ironic.
    your a great man for demanding evidence, when your asked it for yourself you often provide wikipedia links as your "proof" your words not mine. Id like to respectfully point out that wikipedia should only be used as a basic reference point to further research. The fact that anyone and anything have the ability to edit wikipedia pages, well lets just say its hardly "proof" now is it...
    Except most good wikipedia articles have references at the bottom of the page.
    It usually sums up a point in a way that's accessible to lay people.

If there's anything I've claimed fthat isn't sufficiently backed up please point it out.

And what about the fact that CT sites don't usually have references, rarely change wrong facts and can be set up by anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Rather than warn you for back-seat modding, I'm going to take a different approach...

As I've already said to espinolman elsewhere...

People making comments like this are going to be held to the standards they demand of others.

I expect you to start putting the words "in my opinion" in front of anything you can't definitively prove, and I expect you to be willing to offer definitive proof for anything you don't clearly mark as an opinion.

Alternately, you can agree that your post was out of order, and let calmer heads prevail all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

LOOK HERE

No, you look here.

Read the charter before posting again.

Consider yourself lucky that 6th only gave KM a warning in-thread, because that post of yours deserves a ban, but in the interests of balance, you're getting the same treatment he did.

• Advertisement

bonkey wrote: »

As I've already said to espinolman elsewhere...

People making comments like this are going to be held to the standards they demand of others.

I expect you to start putting the words "in my opinion" in front of anything you can't definitively prove.

Thats no bother at all Bonkey, when I am not stating something as fact I usually say in my opinion, so no problem there. Seen as though you've decided to take me up over this I respectfully suggest you have a word to kingmob aswell, if we are maintaining standards and all that. Point taken though I will make sure I am extra clear when stating fact or opinion..

LOOK HERE

I Never said what I believe in I don't believe any of that ****e not that ist any of your business,you are carrying on like a child

My original post was about that solar cycle WHICH HE SAID COULD CHANGE LIFE AS WE KNOW IT!

if you are going to argue at leat read the FCUKING post and stop being snide and arrogant.I said i'm no longer intrested in arguing with you as you have a bad attitude and refuse to accept what anyone else thinks.
    I know what I study in college I'm not sending out pictures of my college material
    you present your fcuking evidence mr support blah blah when i do send you evidence you just discredit it

AND DONT DARE make one more assumption about what believe

Ok http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_cycle

What he is talking about is a cycle that happens every 11 years.

The last high point (solar maximum) was in 2001. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_cycle
    World didn't end then.
    There is no evidence that the next solar maximum will be any worse.

There is no evidence that a solar flare will be caused by any alignment of anything.

It's more likely Kaku was playing it up a little while being on Fox news.

The last high point (solar maximum) was in 2001. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_cycle
    World didn't end then.

There is no evidence that a solar flare will be caused by any alignment of anything.

• Claims, Evidence, Proof
    If you are stating something as fact please post your sources or any relevant links/info. Doing so will strengthen your point. Where someone states something as their opinion it is just that, an opinion. Asking "why" they believe something if fine, demanding proof/evidence is not.

World didn't end then.

Look i have asked you countlesstimes to actualy read what I have posted before ranting on and on

I NEVER said that it had anything to do with tha alignment anyhting anything at all anywhere ever ever

bonkey wrote: »
    No, you look here.

Read the charter before posting again.

Consider yourself lucky that 6th only gave KM a warning in-thread, because that post of yours deserves a ban, but in the interests of balance, you're getting the same treatment he did.
    Thats fine I have read the charter, I will behave and of course as you have pulled me up here am sure you will pull up king mob on his demanding of evidence and proof,which is not allowed under the charter

Look i have asked you countlesstimes to actualy read what I have posted before ranting on and on

I NEVER said that it had anything to do with tha alignment anyhting anything at all anywhere ever ever

Not quite true.
    You may be wrong there,what the theory involves is the sun's alignment with the dark rift in the milky way, which lies between Sag and Ophiuchus,the secret 13th sign of the zodiac in which Nostradamus used to predict his 2012 theory,i believe this galactic alignment only happens once in the region of 26,000 years

and where there is the solar flares in that post e.....sorry still cant see them would you show me again

here i where i discussed solar flares

I will highlight the parts where i said the alignment was related to them

According to Michio Kaku, a well respected theoretical physicsist,there will be a massive solar flare in 2012, which could knock out our satellites and comms systems for days,months maybe even years which could have a catastrophic effect on earth as we know it

and where there is the solar flares in that post e.....sorry still cant see them would you show me again

here i where i discussed solar flares

I will highlight the parts where i said the alignment was related to them

According to Michio Kaku, a well respected theoretical physicsist,there will be a massive solar flare in 2012, which could knock out our satellites and comms systems for days,months maybe even years which could have a catastrophic effect on earth as we know it

Ah there's the problem. I thought you believed that this galactic alignment would cause the solar flares.

Ah there's the problem. I thought you believed that this galactic alignment would cause the solar flares.
    Noooooo no no absolutely not. I realise this is a natural cycle which happens every 11 years nothing to do with the alignment

Noooooo no no absolutely not. I realise this is a natural cycle which happens every 11 years nothing to do with the alignment

Then that just leaves the 26,000 year galactic alignment.
    Where is this coming form?

• Advertisement

I'm not going over all this again

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

TI respectfully suggest you have a word to kingmob aswell
    am sure you will pull up king mob on his demanding

Lads, report specific posts you have a problem with. DONT tell mods how to mod in thread.

If this thread stays on these lines I'm locking it and banning people for a few days to calm them down.

6th wrote: »
    Lads, report specific posts you have a problem with. DONT tell mods how to mod in thread.

If this thread stays on these lines I'm locking it and banning people for a few days to calm them down.
    Sorry 6th

You see, the rising location of the sun on the winter solstice is different every single year (by a few arc-seconds), this is due to the precession of Earth's axis. The sun will rise in the same place every ~26,000 years (when it has completed one precessional period). It just so happens that the rising (or setting, whatever) sun aligns "perfectly" with Ophiuchus (i.e. the location of the Milky Way's centre of rotation) around the date of the winter solstice in 2012. This process repeats itself every 26,000 years.

I'm just giving you the information: I don't believe in any of this - what I consider - nonsense.

6th wrote: »

point taken.

You see, the rising location of the sun on the winter solstice is different every single year (by a few arc-seconds), this is due to the precession of Earth's axis. The sun will rise in the same place every ~26,000 years (when it has completed one precessional period). It just so happens that the rising (or setting, whatever) sun aligns "perfectly" with Ophiuchus (i.e. the location of the Milky Way's centre of rotation) around the date of the winter solstice in 2012. This process repeats itself every 26,000 years.

I'm just giving you the information: I don't believe in any of this - what I consider - nonsense.

But doesn't it do this every year as well? Or at least passes very close to the galactic centre?

But doesn't it do this every year as well? Or at least passes very close to the galactic centre?

Well yah, it does most years (i.e. it'll rise somewhere in the region on some arbitrary day - about half of the time), but, it'll only ever rise in the "exact" location of the galactic centre on the winter solstice twice every 26,000 years.

Well yah, it does most years (i.e. it'll rise somewhere in the region on some arbitrary day - about half of the time), but, it'll only ever rise in the "exact" location of the galactic centre on the winter solstice twice every 26,000 years.

And wouldn't that only be veiwable from certain places on the Earth?

If you look at it from a positional way (not as it appears from Earth)
    wouldn't the centre of the galaxy, the Sun and the Earth line up every year?

And wouldn't that only be veiwable from certain places on the Earth?

No, from everywhere (not simultaneously though, obviously) because the winter solstice isn't subject to our position on Earth; it's a phenomenon due to the position of the Earth in relation to the Sun. The winter solstice is the name we give to the date when the Earth is angled at its most towards the sun (relative to the ecliptic in the direction of the Sun), so it doesn't depend upon where we are located on Earth.
    If you look at it from a positional way (not as it appears from Earth)
    wouldn't the centre of the galaxy, the Sun and the Earth line up every year?

I'm not sure that they'd line up every year, but I believe that they would most years (probably over 50% of the time). The only significance of 2012 is that it is the year when the sun rises "into" the galactic centre as viewed from Earth on its shortest (or longest, depending on which hemisphere you're in) day. There is no significance to the date, it's only the date when some arbitrarily defined phenomenon occur at the same time. There's nothing more to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement