Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rith Diego Rith! A DCM training log

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭blind_hurler

eliwallach wrote: »
    Date: 24-9-09
    Programme: 5 miles
    I Ran: 5.1 miles
    Time: 38:59
    Ave Pace: 7:37/mile
    Weather: Warm mostly sunny 19C
    Days To DCM: 32

Mile 1: 7:52
    Mile 2: 6:27
    Mile 3: 8:22
    Mile 4: 6:28
    Mile 5: 8:44

Mile 5 was the toughest..:(.

was mile 2 down hill ;)

Great to see the training is going so well and you are almost at the 1000mile mark there will be no stopping you...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Date: 25-9-09
    Programme: 8 miles
    I Ran: 7.6 miles
    Time: 1:02.00
    Ave Pace: 8:09/mile
    Weather: Warm mostly sunny 19C
    Days To DCM: 31

Did not enjoy that :(!
    Forgot to include a 1/2 mile loop at the beginning of the route thereby reducing the run from 8.1 to 7.6 miles. Intended to complete this loop at the end of the run but had neither the will nor the interest at that stage.
    Was uncomfortable from mile 3 onwards, and sweated alot, and my calves were sore/tired. My tummy is a little bit upset the last few days, so maybe this has had an effect :confused:.
    Maybe it's just "one of those days"?
    Suffice to say that if the marathon had been on toady I would have been a DNF :(!

Date: 26-9-09
    Programme: 12 miles
    I Ran: 11.6 miles
    Time: 1:39.04
    Ave Pace: 8:32/mile
    Weather: Cloudy mild 14C
    Days To DCM: 30

Thankfully, whatever discomforts I experienced on Friday's run were all but gone for this workout. Step-back (whenever I say that, all I can picture is Jack Black in School Of Rock singing "step-off, step-off, step-off in that high-pitched voice of his.... anyway....) week so I was looking down at the mileage rather than looking up. Had a small amount of discomfort for the first couple of miles but nothing compared to the sweating of yesterday.
    Finished strongly and run was cut short as OH met me on road with car at wrong rendevouz point. Where was she yesterday :rolleyes:!
    Big week coming up with last LSR decreasing dramatically thereafter.

Date: 28-9-09
    Time: 43:02
    Ave Pace: 8:26/mile
    Weather: Cloudy mild 19C (Autumn is definitely here)
    Days To DCM: 28!!

Didn't ask much of my legs and took this at handy pace. Calves were well behaved, and legs felt fresh.

Date: 29-9-09
    I Ran: 8.1 miles
    Time: 01:07.32
    Ave Pace: 8:20/mile
    Weather: Cloudy mild 17C
    Days To DCM: 27

Ran the first 5 miles at 8:40 pace then picked it up a little for the remaining 3 miles.
    Nice run, but calves are still acting tired.
    Looks like I will (finally!) complete the 1625Km 1000mile challenge ~4 miles into my LSR on Sunday morning. This will be as I pass through a small rural village, nevertheless I will raise both hands and dish out high-5's to an imaginary crowd.
    Hope the natives are still in bed.

• Advertisement

Date: 30-9-09
    Time: 41.12
    Ave Pace: 8:05/mile
    Weather: Cloudy mild 18C
    Days To DCM: 26

Month's end.
    Review of monthly mileage (DCM training) to date:
    Jun 36.4
    July 114.6
    Aug 161.6
    Sept 158.3

990.8 miles done in 1,000 mile challenge.

Today's run was done at nice pace. Didn't push matters but wasn't idling either.

Date: 01-10-09
    Time: 39.18
    Ave Pace: 7:42/mile
    Weather: Partly sunny Cool 16C
    Days To DCM: 25

Nice trip.
    Started at 8min/mile pace then gradually picked it up.
    2 rest days to come then 20 mile LSR on Sunday morning. Seemingly my decision NOT to run Cork to Cobh 15 mile race on Sunday was an inspired one :rolleyes:, as I was talking to one of the organisers today and she said that the Cork to Cobh' has been the ruin of many a DCM marathon, so stick with the LSR on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭happy_73

Date: 01-10-09
    Seemingly my decision NOT to run Cork to Cobh 15 mile race on Sunday was an inspired one :rolleyes:, as I was talking to one of the organisers today and she said that the Cork to Cobh' has been the ruin of many a DCM marathon, so stick with the LSR on Sunday!

it's very true, need a fair amount of discipline to run a race and not get caught up in the moment. Glad to hear the training is going well - think I saw you on the track today, doing speedwork? :)

Date: 04-10-09
    Programme: 20 miles
    I Ran: 20.8 miles
    Time: 3:00.00
    Ave Pace: 8:39/mile
    Weather: Beautiful morning sunny Cool 10C
    Days To DCM: 22

Forfeited the Cork to Cobh for this last LSR.
    And was I glad. Took huge benefit from this run.
    Completed the 1,000 mile challenge running through the (still asleep) village of Bealnamorrive. Had to tell someone so texted the OH while running. Not easy to do. She (at least) pretended to be excited for me.
    Legs felt good throughout and the engine (breathing, sweating and general well being) felt great. After mile 18, the legs started to become heavy but didn't affect my pace.
    I was gonna go into the marathon with a 10 mile-10 mile-10K strategy, but I've revised that and am going to utilise a 1 hour-2 hour-3 hour strategy (at which points I should be hitting 7, 14 & 21 miles respectively). Of course other little mileage points (e.g 5 mile, 10K, Half, 15 mile, 20 mile) will all be sub-markers within the main mental strategy.
    Bring it on!

The mental torture of the TAPER now begins :rolleyes:.

happy_73 wrote: »
    it's very true, need a fair amount of discipline to run a race and not get caught up in the moment. Glad to hear the training is going well - think I saw you on the track today, doing speedwork? :)

Yeah that was me.
    But the illusion of speed is all relative :rolleyes:.

Training is going very well, but as you say discipline is the key.

• Advertisement

Just got an email informing me that I didn't make the cut for the London marathon.

The OH will be overjoyed :rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Congrats on the 1000 eli, about time :D

Woddle wrote: »
    Congrats on the 1000 eli, about time :D

Only for Hal Higdon I'd still be at it until Christmas :eek:.

I want a stewards enquiry with Bobby04 :rolleyes:.
    This might help to bump me up 1 spot!

Thanks Woddle, the 1,000 mile challenge was great for motivation and it took me all the way to the last LSR before the marathon.
    Hopefully motivation will not wane for the next 3 weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

With the success of it this year, you can just imagine the interest and the quality for next years challenge, we'll all be finishing it in March :D

Date: 06-10-09
    Time: 43.06
    Ave Pace: 8:27/mile
    Weather: Wet wet wet 15C
    Days To DCM: 20

The legs were still feeling the effects of Sunday's LSR, so handy enough in the heavy, heavy rain.
    Good few out running nonetheless.

Date: 07-10-09
    Programme: 6 miles
    I Ran: 6.4 miles
    Time: 51.02
    Ave Pace: 7:58/mile
    Weather: Sunny cool 13C
    Days To DCM: 19

Today was the real beginning of autumn - there was a distinct coolness in the air (and that was just at work......boom, boom!).
    Ran 7:50 and 7:45 for miles 4 and 5 resp.
    Nice run on a beautiful day and the legs are still recovering from Sunday.

Date: 08-10-09
    Time: 38.37
    Ave Pace: 7:34/mile
    Weather: Mostly sunny mild 17C
    Days To DCM: 18

Ran on today.
    Started at quick pace and maintained it throughout.
    Started making my list for marathon day today.
    Signed and dated my registration form.
    Printed and laminated pace-bracelet.

Date: 09-10-09
    Programme: 4 miles
    I Ran: 0 miles (:eek:)
    Time: --:--
    Ave Pace: -:--/mile
    Weather: Wet but then sunny mild 17C
    Days To DCM: 17

Hal Higdon was asking me for 4 miles today but I've all the makings of a cold coming on so hopefully by resting up I'll see it off before my scheduled 12 miles over the weekend.
    Hate missing scheduled training runs :mad:. But this is probably for the best in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

But this is probably for the best in the long run.

intentional pun?

intentional pun?

No.
    Had spotted it, but I was happy enough to let is sit there un-announced :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement

Date: 10-10-09
    Programme: 12 miles
    I Ran: 13.1 miles
    Time: 1:48.39
    Ave Pace: 8:17/mile
    Weather: Absolute stunner of a morning fog-sunrise 9C
    Days To DCM: 16

Would for this weather on marathon morning (but then again we did get it last year, so on the law of averages...:().
    Having said that we have a resident "weather guru" here at work, and whi8le he can't give any 'reliable' forecast yet for the 26th, he has indicated that it will be 14oC. More to follow.
    Back to the run.
    Hadn't intended to go quicker than PMP but I just went with what felt comfortable, and truth be told, I needed to warm up quickly :rolleyes: - it was particularly cold in the foggier parts. Forgot my gels, but at around mile 8 I was confronted with a mean looking boxer, and while he didn't attack me, he did growl salaciously at me and made a burst for me before turning back. Suffice to say, the adrenaline rush thus induced carried me effortlessly for the next couple of miles. Along with the pacers, I wonder can Amadeus arrange for a few Boxers/Rothweilers/Daschunds to be strategically placed from mile 18 onwards :rolleyes:.
    Taper well and truly underway - so keeping the taper torture demons at bay every night by reading a few segments from Bob Glover and making a start on Sonia's autobiography.

PS - Cold never materialised but have a nasty sinus infection, which won't prevent me training (Sinutab are great!).

Date: 12-10-09
    I Ran: 4 miles
    Time: 32.32
    Ave Pace: 8:08/mile
    Weather: Cool mostly cloudy dry 15C
    Days To DCM: 14!

Nice handy run on an out-and-back-course.
    Ran with what felt comfortable.
    Legs felt great.
    Haven't shaken that head cold completely though.
    Sorted my accomodation for the Sunday night of the marathon - on the Northside.

Date: 15-10-09
    Time: 42.54
    Ave Pace: 8:25/mile
    Weather: Mild mostly cloudy dry 18C
    Days To DCM: 11

Finally succumbed to that head cold on Tuesday & Wednesday. Rested, slept and ate for the 2 days.
    Back in the saddle today even though I wasn't yet at 100%. A bit apprehensive going into it (I felt like I had lost alot of my fitness!), so took it easy and experienced very little discomfort. Hopefully I can now close the book on that cold!

Date: 16-10-09
    Time: 32.34
    Ave Pace: 8:08/mile
    Weather: Cool cloudy dry 16C
    Days To DCM: 10

Same route as last Monday and within 2 sec of the time. I'm consistent if nothing else. Still feeling the effects of the head cold, so it took me a solid week to shake it (admittedly, some training in that same week probably did not speed up the healing process). Thankfully the worst of it is behind me now and I dread to think if I had gotten it a week later :eek:.
    Incidentally i've been on Berocca for the past 6 weeks, so ingesting 700% of the RDA for vitamin C doesn't, I'm afraid, stave off head-colds etc :mad:.

Nice handy 8 miles lined up for the weekend (or possibly Monday as that will be T - 7), and then just a few short runs to keep the legs loosened up.

Date: 19-10-09
    I Ran: 10.4 miles
    Time: 1:25.56
    Ave Pace: 8:16/mile
    Weather: Cool cloudy breezy, rain imminent 13C
    Hours To DCM: 165

Went further & faster than Hal Higdon wanted today. Got massive psychological boost from this, however. Got out there early before the rain :D.
    This time next week it will all be over....

Date: 22-10-09
    Programme: 3 miles
    Time: 31.02
    Ave Pace: 7:45/mile
    Weather: Mild mostly sunny 15C
    Hours To DCM: 93

Rightly or wrongly, I decided to do this run at a quicker pace than MP even though this will have no benefit as regards next Monday.
    Grand.
    Oh no, just after mile 2, I developed a pretty acute stitch! It was more than a little uncomforatble to run but it eventually subsided before the 4 miles were completed.
    Felt sluggish and am blaming the stitch on the possibitilty that I may have put up a lb or 2 since tapering began (I take carb-loading seriously :D).
    Quite warm out today, and with similar temperatures forcast for next Monday, I think I might just get away with a singlet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

All the best sham, enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Best of luck on Monday.

Date: 23-10-09
    Time: 31.27
    Ave Pace: 7:52/mile
    Weather: Mild cloudy 14C
    Hours To DCM: 68

Really going through the motions at this stage :cool:.
    Much better run than yesterday but truth be told I ran each of them slightly quicker than I should have just to get them finished with (quality or what!).
    So there's no more I can do :(.
    My only concern going into the marathon is the cold that took hold of me for the best part of 10 days just recently - I hope that hasn't affected me energy-wise, time will tell.
    I feel great. I am looking forward to the whole weekend. I know what to expect at mile 20 and hopefully my training (& hydration/nutrition) will give me the necessary energy to get me through that section. Mental toughness and stubborness will also play a big part there too.

So after 18 weeks training, 83 training runs, 562 miles, aged 39yrs and 39 days wearing No 3984, that's it, I'm off. See most of ye at 9:00am Monday morning, or 13:00 (:rolleyes:) in The Conrad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Good luck on Monday.

Advertisement