Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rith Diego Rith! A DCM training log

• 29-06-2009 3:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭

Completed DCM 08 (eventually) in 4:26.34.
    The training for DCM 08 wasn't with a programme (except in my head :rolleyes:) as such and hopefully with a programme this year I aim to be sitting on Hunnymonsyer's shoulder when we cross the finish line in 3:44:55. (That's 8:34/mile :))

Not great at following training programmes but have started this training log in an effort to keep myself honest with the training programme for DCM 09.

I have chosen Hal Higdon Intermediate II to follow (began 22-6-09) and already I haven't complied.... too much mileage, failure to run "at pace" are just 2 of my non-compliances :(.
    But the good news is that I am getting out there on the scheduled days and getting the miles in.

So far:

DATE MILES PACE/MILE PROGRAMME
    WEEK 1
    22-6-09 4.1 7:27 3 mile
    23-6-09 5.3 7:41 5 mile
    24-6-09 4.0 7:41 3 mile
    26-6-09 8.5 7:56 8 mile
    28-6-09 5.0 7.32 5 mile (pace)
    WEEK 2
    29-6-09 4.2 7:54 3 mile

As I said, I hope this log keeps me honest.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Good luck, with the training and the log.

I will pay money to see you cross the finish line on HM's shoulders..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Best of luck with the training and I have no doubt your log will be as good a read as your race reports, they were so funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Good luck with the training

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Programme: 5 miles
    Eli Ran: 5.3 miles
    Time: 41:05
    Pace: 7:45/mile
    Weather: Heavy drizzle, muggy, 21C

Weather outside wasn't enticing but it wasn't so bad once I was out there. Forgot my towel this morning so had to take a detour via Tesco to buy a towel (€7.99!!).
    Felt OK during run and pushed on a bit for the final mile or so. Calf's acting up a little but nothing too serious (yet?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Best of luck with the training. I took a look at that Hal Higdon plan and one thing i don't like about it is that it gives no 'pace' guide in relation to most of the runs and doesn't identify a tempo run or an interval session which I think you weould really benefit from.

What pace are you going to run your long runs at? They should be at least 30sec slower than your goal marathon pace (I think you should be aiming at 3:30 rather than 3:45...its a long way away to the marathon and I think you are capable of 3:30 so should train as such even if on the day you decide to go for 3:45). That would put your long run pace at 8:30.

Recovery/easy runs should be greater than 8 min pace also and by the looks of things in your last weeks running you have no runs at that pace.

You've a good base of running behind you and have a good half marathon time recently in the bag and plenty of time to train for Dublin. Its not your first marathon so I think you'd benefit more from a training plan that identified some key workouts apart from the long run. Your training over the last week suggests you don't run fast enough when you should run fast and don't run slow enough when you should run slow. Try adapting the Hal Higdon plan a bit to add in Tempo runs and interval sessions.

See the link to a recent post by tergat which identifies some very good sessions to include in your marathon training. I think you'd benefit greatly from quality session like that. Marathon training can become very monotonous and feel like you're just going from long run to long run.
    tergat wrote: »
    Some thoughts below on Marathon training,

• Advertisement

Gringo78 wrote: »
    I took a look at that Hal Higdon plan and one thing i don't like about it is that it gives no 'pace' guide.
    Your training over the last week suggests you don't run fast enough when you should run fast and don't run slow enough when you should run slow. Try adapting the Hal Higdon plan a bit to add in Tempo runs and interval sessions.

Agree completely re Hal Higdon and the lack of pace guides - would have thought that for such a renowned and recommended programme that pace guides would have been key?

As regards the fast runs quicker and the recovery runs slower - guilty as charged.
    I did intend to run last Sunday's 5 mile at PMP but miscalculated on the first mile (I only wear the wrist watch..) and ended up running 7:32 rather than 8:32. Felt the pace was too quick and was glad when I finished with the miscalculation I had made :o.

As regards aiming for 3:30 - you're right my race times would suggest a quicker marathon time (in fact McMillan has put me at 3:16 based on my 10K time ....WTF!), but having run last year I have this in-built fear of the feeling I experienced at the 21- 22 mile mark, hence the 3:45 target time. Having said that my planned Long Run Pace is in or around the 8:45min/mile pace, which tallies nicely with your proposed Long Run Pace :D.

Thanks for the info. I will certainly take alot on board.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

good luck with the log , look forward to reading it , hopefully you can integrate funny into your training log too :)

Programme: 3 miles
    Eli Ran: 4 miles
    Time: 30:33
    Pace: 7:38/mile
    Weather: Rain, muggy, 19C

Weather today was even less inviting that yesterday, but once again when out there the rain doesn't seem to matter. This would have been one of those days last year when a rest day would have been shoved into my "programme".
    My running top (beautiful bright orange Nike one ;)) was either gonna be drenched with rain or drenched with sweat. Met a fellow runner along the route:
    Him: "nice day.."
    Me: "beautiful day"
    Felt kinda mad (crazy mad) but at least I wasn't alone.

Must try harder at slower paces and faster paces when required but today wasn't a day for hanging around.

Right calf still a little stiff, stretched it well and cold showered it. Nothing a rest day (tomorrow) won't sort out, hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

eliwallach wrote: »
    ...Met a fellow runner along the route:

What is a fellow runner
    -someone you know runs
    -a passing runner
    -a random stranger runs with you for all/part of your run

Just curious. Best of luck with your log :)

MCOS wrote: »
    What is a fellow runner
    -someone you know runs
    -a passing runner
    -a random stranger runs with you for all/part of your run

Just curious. Best of luck with your log :)

Thank God!
    When I saw you had replied, I thought you were going to kick my ass as regards my training....

But no it's a relatively easy question:
    A fellow runner in the context of that post is:
    (b) - a passing runner (who runs past you, in the opposite direction).
    Hope that clears up any confusion.

It could also be (a) or (c) but just not in this context :cool:.

• Advertisement

Eli Ran: 3.1 miles (Killarney Summerfest 5K)
    Time: 20:12 (unofficial) PB
    Pace: 6:38/mile
    Weather: Fine, mostly cloudy, 20C

Incorporated this "Fun Run" into my training programme.
    Met Blind Hurler and TFB at the race start. Race started 25min late but that was good for Kerry time said TFB.
    (foolishly) Tried to stay with TFB for the first Km but suffered a little over the last Km because ot this.
    A guy running with a buggy (take note Gringo1978) passed me around the 1.5Km mark....
    The last Km was tough but finished with a PB (unofficial) of 20:12 (previous PB 21:58). No clock at finish and haven't seen any official finish times yet. BH got in for a PB too. TFB got his usual fantastic time.
    Saw a guy finishing with a "Ballycotton Top 100 finishers" T-shirt a couple of minutes after me - he had obviously borrowed it for the evening.
    The organisation overall seemed a little amateurish and haphazard but it was an enjoyable evening's racing. No water at finish, could have done with some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

Hey,

As somebody who plans on doing their 1st marathon this yr, how much training did you do for last yrs marathon ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

A guy running with a buggy (take note Gringo1978) passed me around the 1.5Km mark....

So how fast can a guy pushing a buggy run a 5k then? I suppose it would count as a seperate PB i.e PB with buggy, PB without...hmmmmmm....

Date: 5-7-09
    Programme: 9 miles
    Eli Ran: 8.9 miles
    Time: 1:16.30
    Pace: 8:35/mile
    Weather: Wet with heavy showrers 14C
    Days To DCM: 113

Took off early for this run (6:30am) - it's the only time to be on the road. Managed my pace alot better this time. Felt comfortable throughout (apart from the usual torture of the first 2 or 3 miles!).
    Later in the day followed the run up with some choice cross-training consisting of:
    1) sitting on my ass driving to Dublin (that new motorway between Cork & Dublin is a godsend!)
    2) a 3 mile walk to Croke Park to watch Kilkenny (just about) beat Dublin in the Leinster final. Up the Cats.
    3) 'boogeying' the night away to Roderick David Stewart at the RDS.

Well earned rest day for Monday.

Date: 7-7-09
    Eli Ran: 3.8 miles
    Time: 30:07
    Pace: 7:55/mile
    Weather: Warm sunny 18C
    Days To DCM: 111

Had hoped to make this a 8min+/mile run but had arranged to meet OH to go swimming after run. She rang to find out my whereabouts, so I pushed on for the last mile or so.
    Made more use of the steamroom rather than the pool afterwards.
    Lovely run, nice and comfortable and found it hard to restrain myself.

Date: 8-7-09
    Eli Ran: 5.3 miles
    Time: 40:17
    Pace: 7:36/mile
    Weather: Warm cloudy 20C
    Days To DCM: 110

Ran the first 2 miles in 16:00 (8min/mile) and then quickened the pace for the last 3.3 miles (7:21/mile). The last 3.3 miles were considerably easier than the first 2.....
    Oh forgot to report that I purchased a "Terminator" 6 bottle fuel belt last week and used it for the first time on Sunday (with just 2 bottles). Worked a treat :D and wouldn't have even noticed I was wearing it but for the constant sloshing of the water.

Date: 9-7-09
    Eli Ran: 3.5 miles
    Time: 0:29.46
    Pace: 8:30/mile
    Weather: Warm cloudy 21C
    Days To DCM: 109

Ran a nice easy 3.5 miles on grass today with the MP4 player for a change. Very comfortable and only for the 2 runners in front obviously up to the same caper I would have found it difficult to pace myself. Must try harder.
    Incidentally in a moment of weakness I loaded Bryan Adams "Everything I do...." onto Mp4. It pops up as the second song every damn time on shuffle. Short of deleting it or skipping it, can I do something to alter this?
    Went to Lidl after run. Bought a few pairs of socks. They're OK but don't seem to be as good as the Aldi ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Delete it and then burn the player to make sure no traces remain of it.

showry wrote: »
    Delete it and then burn the player to make sure no traces remain of it.

Ever. :D
    It is an awful self-indulgent laod of tripe..

Will delete immediately.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Well done Eli you're doing really well :)

• Advertisement

Date: 12-7-09
    Programme: 6 miles
    I Ran: 7.3 miles
    Time: 0:59.53
    Ave Pace: 8:12/mile
    Weather: Wet Showers 16C
    Days To DCM: 106

LSR reduced to 6 miles this weekend ("step-back" week).
    Felt a bit of a fraud running 'only' 7 odd miles for the LSR, but what Hal H wants Hal H gets ;).
    Nice easy pace and felt good and comfortable throughout run, and could have kept going and going and going and .........

Date: 13-7-09
    I Ran: 5.3 miles
    Time: 0:44.50
    Ave Pace: 8:27/mile
    Weather: Wet Showers, sunny 17C
    Days To DCM: 105

Miracolously the rain stopped (and even cleared) for the duration of lunch time :D Even had to take my jacket off when the sun battled through the clouds for the last 10 mins of the run. Then it rained heavy again :(
    Nice easy run at conversational pace (talking to myself).

Date: 14-7-09
    I Ran: 4 miles
    Time: 0:32.47
    Ave Pace: 8:12/mile
    Weather: Wet (Monsoon) Very Heavy Showers 17C
    Days To DCM: 104

Today was the polar opposite to yesterday - fine for most of the morning but the heavens opened when I took off for my run. The ran was of biblical proportions and then it got heavier. There comes a point of maximum saturation where you just cannot get any wetter - this occurred about 5 mins into my run and still the deluge continued. Brightness on the horizion towards the end of my run but just as the rain eased for clearing there was one final cloud dump which was astronomical. I felt both silly and heroic at the same time. Incidentally I wasn't the only runner out in it.
    Anywho, nice easy pace with my breathing well controlled.
    Sorry if my training log is turning into a weather log.

Saw the new route for the start of DCM 2009 - glad that Holles st bottleneck has been sorted but I think there will be similar problems at the first bend onto Leeson st lower with that acute turn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Well done for getting out and staying out in that weather, when I'm in that situation I always imagine the guy that was 5secs ahead of me in the last race having a day off and as my OH always says 'if it doesn't kill ya, it makes ya stronger' :D

Date: 15-7-09
    I Ran: 6.4 miles
    Time: 0:50.16
    Ave Pace: 7:51/mile
    Weather: Warm sunshine 22C
    Days To DCM: 103

Seems like heavenly retribution was sent my way in the form of bright blue skies and warm sunshine today. The Irish summer - what a freak.
    Ran the first 3 miles in 23:52 (7:57min/mile), and then upped the ante for the next 3 miles knocking out times of 7:28. 6:58 & 6:54 (ouch!). Pleased enough with trip.
    Slow jogged the remaining 0.4mile.

Date: 16-7-09
    Time: 0:34.43
    Ave Pace: 8:40/mile
    Weather: Warm sunshine 22C
    Days To DCM: 102

Recovery run. Nice easy pace with breathing (and sweating) nicely controlled.
    Created a small piece of personal running history today by running on 5 (yes FIVE) consecutive days - can increase that to a whopping 6 tomorrow if I run the Donoughmore 7 mile, but the baby cows are a little stiff so I'll wait and see. (AM eager to do that run tomorrow, however, as I'll take first position for the 7 mile in the "Best of '09" thread :D;)).

Date: 17-7-09 (Donoughmore 7 Mile Road Race)
    I Ran: 7 miles
    Time: 0:50.44
    Ave Pace: 7:15/mile
    Weather: Warm Mostly sunny 19C
    Days To DCM: 101

Really was 50/50 as to whether or not I'd run this. Had a bit of a sore throat all day Friday and I was feeling really tired. I even drifted off to sleep (power nap for couple of minutes) with the kids on my lap when I got home from work. When I woke the chances of running had dropped to 30/70. But the OH would never have left me hear the end of it if I wouldn't travel to the closest road race (Donoughmore is only 10 miles from us), when I'd usually be travelling 30miles+ for races.
    So decision made, quick change and off up the road.
    It was a beautiful evening to boot. Stewarding was good in Donoughmore and I was directed into the GAA pitch (the actual field) for parking. Registration was in "Halla na Paróiste" just beside the pitch. The queue was long enough and there was only 20 min to the start. Thankfully the queue moved along nicely and we were handed our free T-shirts while Q-ing. And I have to say it's not half bad (more of a casual t-shirt with collar, than sports t-shirt).
    At registration (€10) when asked for club:
    ME: Boards AC
    ADMIN No.1: Wha'
    ADMIN No.1: Can you spell that?
    ME: B-O-A-R-D-S-A-C
    ADMIN No. 1: Oh right...
    ADMIN No. 2 (on laptop): Club?
    ADMIN No. 2: What?
    ME: Boards AC (feeling interrogated), it's an affilliated club really (well, virtually).
    ADMIN No. 2: Fords AC?
    ME: No, Boards AC, B-O-A-R-D-S-A-C ......

Quick visit to the Boys room, back to the car, remove jacket and a quick couple of laps of the GAA pitch. Then off the Start line 400 yards down the road.
    My intention for the race was a good work out (a PB was gonna be in the bag as this was my first 7 mile :D), I should have left the watch at home and raced it comfortably. Anyway my tactic was to race it "comfortably" at about 90 - 95% effort, keeping something in the tank for the final 2 miles which were decievingly, relentlessly uphill.
    The sun was in our eyes for the start and there was a strong field of ~290. Race got under way for 8:01.
    The first 2 miles were the embodiment of undulation and alot of it. I took it easy for these first 2 miles and clocked 7:31 and 7:30. It was at this stage that I saw (the renowned) JQ from (the renowned) Eagle Club. I passed him at the 5 mile mark in Ballycotton where I had done a similar pace, so it was gonna be interesting to see how this one transpired, (as Eamonn Coughlan would say, he was going to be "my rabbit").
    Miles 3, 4 & 5 were lovely slightly downhill, I didn't quicken too much here and knocked out mile times of 7:02, 6:58 & 7:00. JQ maintained his 10 yard advantage over me for the duration of these 3 miles, in fact he was starting to stretch it a little if anything.
    We turned for home just after the 5 mile marker and the uphill drag began in earnest. Thankfully I had kept something in reserve for this stretch and was relatively comfortable, but I guess most other runners had used the same tactic as I wasn't passing anyone for mile 6 :(.
    Mile 7 that all changed and I started reeling in a few, 2 guys that had whizzed pastme on the downhill between mile 2 & 5 were now suffering and I passed them and a few others in a group.
    800 yards to go and I tried to up the pace another notch but the gradient had increased slightly anI felt like I was slowing down. It was here that I reached and passed JQ walking.
    ME: Come on J, nearly there
    JQ: Legs are gone......
    I overtook a few more before the finish and clocked a finish time of 50:44. Not too shabby, but of more significance to me was the manner in which I raced it. Yes I have ran faster, but this was more an exercise in tactical running and running in a "relatively comfortable" zone.
    So all in all a very good workout, and a very enjoyable race with a tough course.
    Will be back next year.

Date: 19-7-09
    Programme: 11 miles
    I Ran: 11 miles
    Time: 1:35.57
    Ave Pace: 8:43/mile
    Weather: Warm Mostly sunny 20C
    Days To DCM: 99

LSR for week 4 moved into double figures.
    Ran it at nice handy pace but was tired towards the end of it. I did run it in the warmest part of the day I suppose. Lovely quiet country roads with very little passing traffic. Route I ran was pretty hilly.

Date: 20-7-09
    Time: 33:24
    Ave Pace: 8:21/mile
    Weather: Pleasantly warm & sunny 21C
    Days To DCM: 98

Nice recovery run after weekend.
    Breathing nicely controlled.
    Inner thigh muscle a little sore after yesterday. Rubbed in some of that Bio-Freeze. Went way too high up my thigh. Burning sensation just abating now :o.

• Advertisement

Date: 22-7-09
    I Ran: 6.4 miles
    Time: 51:15
    Ave Pace: 8:00/mile
    Weather: Cloudy warm 20C
    Days To DCM: 96

One month of training programme complete.
    Felt sluggish throughout the morning and that continued into run. Felt I was moving better than 8:00min/mile pace, but the clock don't lie :(.
    Didn't feel great after run either, my post-run water did not go down well.
    Maybe it's a virus?

Date: 23-7-09
    I Ran: 3.9 miles
    Time: 30:28
    Ave Pace: 7:47/mile
    Weather: Cloudy showery warm 20C
    Days To DCM: 95

Picked it up a little for this short work out after yesterday's struggle.
    Felt stronger and the increased pace didn't bother me too much.

Date: 25-7-09
    Programme: 12 miles
    I Ran: 10.8 miles
    Time: 1:31.08
    Ave Pace: 8:26/mile
    Weather: Cloudy showery cool 14C
    Days To DCM: 93

Miscalculated slightly and ended up doing shorter than the required 12 miles :mad:. Hate that. Enjoyed the run though ;).
    Headed to Dingle-Daingean-Ui-Chuis, or whatever the hell they call it now, overnight Sat. Over ate and general debauchery was the order of the weekend then. Saw Fungi. Interestingly, bottle-nosed dolphins have a lifespan of 25 years and Fungi has been entertaining the tourists in Dingle for (ahem :rolleyes:) 25 years (since 1984!). A cynic might say that there has been more than 1 Fungi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

I suppose the next thing you'll be telling us is there is no such thing as leprachauns in Killarney. I've seen their crossing.

Sings: "there's only one fungi the dolphin, oooone..........."

The OH wouldn't hear of any such Fungi-gate talk esp in front of the kids :rolleyes:.
    She think's I'm a cynic :).

Killarney it is, next weekend, to smoke a few lepreachauns out of their holes (that could have double, or even treble meaning, but I'm sticking with the original meaning.....).

Date: 27-7-09
    I Ran: 6.4miles
    Time: 50:51
    Ave Pace: 7:56/mile
    Weather: Warm mostly sunny 20C
    Days To DCM: 91

Didn't feel great for the first 2 miles - felt brutal actually. Blamed it on the weekend excesses.
    Just as an add-on to a currently running thread:
    Met a lone running girl, made eye contact but she averted her gaze and looked to the ground...:confused:
    Met another lone running girl, made eye contact and we exchanged pleasantaries....:pac:
    Met a couple of mature male runners, we waved and said hello...:D
    Anyway my form improved during mile 3 and 4, so decided to run a fast 5th mile: did it in 6:31 and was pleased with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Killarney it is, next weekend, to smoke a few lepreachauns out of their holes (that could have double, or even treble meaning, but I'm sticking with the original meaning.....).

too many mental pictures...i need to lie down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

The OH wouldn't hear of any such Fungi-gate talk esp in front of the kids :rolleyes:.
    She think's I'm a cynic :).

I can only think of two meanings, and meaning two has left me in such a disturbed state that my mind can no longer cope with this train of thought. You, however, may be a very sick man ;)

Date: 28-7-09
    I Ran: 4.3 miles (including intervals!)
    Time: 33:12
    Ave Pace: 7:43/mile
    Weather: Wet light rain cloudy 17C
    Days To DCM: 90

Got this session in before the real heavy rain arrived here in Cork @ 1:00pm :D.
    4.3 miles on the track in corporating 5 x 400m intervals (1:57, 1:53, 1:55, 1:53 & 1:40) with 5 x 400m recovery
    (all about the 2:25mark). Fast laps (I wasn't flat out ;)) probably weren't fast enough and slow laps probably weren't slow enough :(. But that will come.
    Received a bolt from the blue this morning, the OH said she might go for a jog with me when we go on holidays (4 days in Barcelona minus the kids - the excitement!) in a few weeks time. Running on the beachfront in Barcelona seems to appeal to her. I was all for it, but it'll probably end up as a walk thereby ruining all hope I may have had for a sneaky 6 miles :confused:. Ho hum.

Date: 29-7-09
    I Ran: 5.2 miles
    Time: 41:56
    Ave Pace: 8:04/mile
    Weather: Sunny (some unthreatenting clouds) 21C
    Days To DCM: 89

5.2 handy miles in beautiful Cork Sunshine.
    The school-night ban on wine imposed by the OH last week is starting to pay off as I don't feel sluggish at the beginning of a run. Of course it's just the placebo effect :rolleyes:.
    The ban will probably be "un-imposed" soon though, as these kind of things tend to go the way of New Year gym membership.

Date: 30-7-09
    I Ran: 4.0 miles
    Time: 28:15
    Ave Pace: 7:04/mile
    Weather: Mostly cloudy, warm 19C
    Days To DCM: 88

With Hal Higdon's reluctance to advise on pace, I decided to take matters into my own hands today and did a 'nice clip' for a 4 mile run. Started off a little slower so I was travelling very nicely for the last 3 miles. Enjoyed it, but the calves were a bit stiff afterwards.
    Incidentally the above time would have knocked 5 sec off my PB for 4 mile :o.
    *Note to self: Must get round to competing in an official 4 mile race soon*

• Advertisement

Date: 01-8-09
    Programme: 9 miles
    I Ran: 8.9 miles
    Time: 1:16.30
    Ave Pace: 8:34/mile
    Weather: Wet, mild 16C
    Days To DCM: 86

"Step back" week with LSR at 9 miles.
    Took it exactly at my hoped for Marathon pace and I felt comfortable throughout. It was an early morning run and the peace in the countryside was just perfect. Startled a colt, ducks, a heron and two swans en route.

Date: 03-8-09
    I Ran: 6.7 miles
    Time: 54.00
    Ave Pace: 8:03/mile
    Weather: Wet, mild 16C
    Days To DCM: 84

This run was probably the most comfortable I've felt throughout this training programme. It felt "easy" (and I hope that doesn't come back to bite me on the ass!).
    Long may this last. This kind of run makes sense of the training to date.
    As an adendum to a thread that was running a while back:
    Was flagged down by (what turned out to be 4 Italians) 2 miles into my run. They were looking for Baltimore. Let's just say they were "out of the way" and travelling the wrong direction. From where we were there was no easy route to Baltimore, so I sent them to Dunmanway-Drimoleague-Skibbereen. Hope they got there. Was very tempted to apologise for the weather.

Incidentally, I was looking back at last year's training records and for the month of July I completed just 8 training sessions culminating in a total of 49.7 miles :o. July just finished I completed 21 training sessions with a total of 114.6 miles :).

Date: 04-8-09
    Programme: 4 miles
    I Ran: 3.9 miles
    Time: 32:40
    Ave Pace: 8:22/mile
    Weather: Warm, muggy 20C
    Days To DCM: 83

Didn't enjoy that. :(
    Too warm and the calves were a little sore.:(
    Onwards & upwards.

Date: 05-8-09
    Programme: 7 miles
    I Ran: 7.1 miles
    Time: 59:22
    Ave Pace: 8:22/mile
    Weather: Sunny, Warm 22C
    Days To DCM: 82

Didn't feel great for the first 2 miles (uphill didn't help) but improved as run went on.
    Nice and warm with a cooling breeze. Loads of runners out today at lunch time.

Date: 06-8-09
    I Ran: 4.0 miles
    Time: 31:57
    Ave Pace: 7:59/mile
    Weather: Rain shower :confused:, mild 19C
    Days To DCM: 81

Sunny morning but had a fairly heavy shower for the duration of this 4 miles on the track.
    Ran at comfortable pace, but had stomach cramps very early on. They eased as the run went on and finally disappeared.
    Moved beyond the 700 mile mark on the 1,000 mile challenge :D.
    I wonder could I arrange to have 973.8 miles complete on the morning of 26th Oct :D? That would be a nice way to complete that challenge.
    *scurries off to find calculator for some quick calculations*

Date: 09-8-09
    Programme: 14 miles
    I Ran: 14.25 miles
    Time: 2:06:41
    Ave Pace: 8:53/mile
    Weather: Early morning mist , mild 18C
    Days To DCM: 78

First of the LSR above 2hr.
    I won't lie to you here, the first 3 miles were awful, bloody awful. Got into a rhythm after 5 miles and was in "the zone" and was pretty much comfortable for the remainder of the run.
    Took some flat Coke with me (on my fuel belt) and gave it a go after ~8miles. Yum. Will use again.

Hillarious incident:
    Was running through a small village just a couple of miles into my run when I could hear the voices of a gang of teenagers further ahead hidden in the driveway of the local GAA pitch. Bear in mind this was ~7:50am. Anywho, as I passed the driveway the gang went quiet and one of them who had been laying in wait in a wheelie-bin jumped out of the wheelie-bin (akin to a jack-in-the-box). Oh how they laughed. Some crack. To be honest I was half past the bin when he "sprung forth" so I didn't really know what was happening, but they got a great kick out of it. Next week I'll be ready for them and I'm going to sprint up to the wheelie-bin and push it over before Jack-in-the-box can jump up :rolleyes:! As I said, hillarious.
    Oh, then I found a fiver (€5!) on the ground outside the village pub. Get up ya daisy!

Date: 10-8-09
    Time: 1:03:20
    Ave Pace: 8:38/mile
    Weather: Cloudy , warm 21C
    Days To DCM: 77

Nice easy run.

Date: 11-8-09
    Time: 29:58
    Ave Pace: 7:29/mile
    Weather: Greek Style, sunny blue skies, hot 25C
    Days To DCM: 76

This was a beautiful day.
    As I said above Greek style.
    Mile 1: 8:00
    Mile 2: 7:58
    Mile 3: 7:15
    Mile 4: 6:45

Date: 12-8-09
    Time: 1:00:15
    Ave Pace: 8:13/mile
    Weather: Cloudy, warm 21C
    Days To DCM: 75

Ran the same route as last Monday (10th).
    Drove it on a bit for the last 2 or 3 miles and that was reflected in knocking over 3 mins off the time.;)

Date: 13-8-09
    Time: 31:33
    Ave Pace: 7:53/mile
    Weather: Cloudy, warm 22C
    Days To DCM: 74

Handy 4 miles at nice pace.
    Met a school mate from way back and we jogged together for about a mile, and shot the breeze.
    Therefore, 1 mile definitely @ conversational pace ;).

• Advertisement
Advertisement