Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rith Diego Rith! A DCM training log

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Date: 29-8-09
    Programme: 17 miles
    I Ran: 17.4 miles
    Time: 02:28.41
    Ave Pace: 8:32/mile
    Weather: Hazy sunshine mild 18C
    Days To DCM: 58

Out the door at 07:30 for this one.
    It was fine but I did find it a little bit harder in the final 4 miles. End of a long week.
    Was showered and changed, and having a coffee and a chocolate bun (post run treat - was thinking of Woddle's self imposed ban on such like when enjoying it ;)) by 10:50.
    Short story long:
    We are cutting a new drive way at home ( don't ask me what was wrong with the old one...:(). After the run (and choc bun - yum) I had to go home and move the clothes line (in the way) which is set in concrete, so the tool of choice was the pick-axe. Got it out after about half an hour of hacking. It's a while since I wielded a pick but felt fine after (tired but fine).
    On Sunday I was holding blue baby (who is nearly 2) in my arms - well when I say holding, I really mean restraining him from running out into the heavy rain to chase the cat. Anywho, between me restraining and him wriggling free (small babies have hidden strength when they want to squirm free) something snapped in my back:eek:. The initial pain was excruciating. It was the pick-axing the day before that did it really and the wrestling match with junior only "found" it. I was "laid-up" for the day and had difficulty reaching and (obviously) lifting.
    To cap it all off I got up from the couch (slowly) last night only to discover that the muscle behind my left knee was sore (very sore actually:(:(:mad:). Got the bag of frozen peas and iced it for a half hour.
    This morning the back is not as bad - still stiff but the restrictive pain has gone, but the leg muscle is still quite painful :(. It is thawing out a little but I might skip today's run. I'll see how I feel at lunch time. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

nice long run there, well done!

how did you find the pacing over the miles, are you using a garmin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Great run eli but I think lesson learnt, you shouldn't be eating choc buns :D
    Only messing, obviously you know now not to be doing hard manual labour (having met you, I don't think your built for it :D) after a long run, I know I can't function after an lsr and end up spending long periods of lsr days vegged out on the couch. They do take alot out of you and repairing and resting the body is whats needed. I hope it's not too serious. Speedy recovery ;)

Woddle wrote: »
    Only messing, obviously you know now not to be doing hard manual labour (having met you, I don't think your built for it :D) after a long run ;)

I know, I know.
    But the OH is very impatient, and if I use the "excuse" that I am too tired after run, guess what will suffer??
    Hint - it won't be the moving of the clothes line!:rolleyes::(. I sound like a hen-pecked husband:eek:! and I seem to be painting a bad picture of my OH :P.

The leg feels alot better now -might chance a very slow 5 miles at lunch time.

To compound my injury purple patch, I was moving some equipment here at work toady. Nothing too heavy and I had a trolley. I committed the sin of the lazy man's load and piled too much onto the trolley - anyway I was just wheeling the trolley into the storeroom when an item of equipment (waterbath, I think) fell off the trolley and the lead slung-shot aroung something else and the plug WALLOPED me on the top lip. I fvcked the waterbath out of it and got some ice onto my lip quick as a flash.
    I am now brandishing a fat bloddy lip :mad:- but you should see the waterbath!

tisnotover wrote: »
    nice long run there, well done!

how did you find the pacing over the miles, are you using a garmin?

Hey thanks.
    No I don't use a garmin. Only the trustee stopwatch ;) and I generally drive my planned route beforehand and "mark" the miles (in my head). I think I have hit upon my marathon pace and it is working out well.
    However, I am, at this stage, dreading injury and the weekend mishaps are hitting this home to me more than ever. I must look after myself better :o.

• Advertisement

Date: 31-8-09
    Programme: 5 miles
    I Ran: 5.2 miles
    Time: 45.07
    Ave Pace: 8:40/mile
    Weather: Wet mild 18C
    Days To DCM: 56

Back held up well, but more importantly the leg held up very well. In fact running certainly seems to have eased any soreness/injury that had been there.
    Nice easy 5.2 miles in a sloppy rainy day.

As 10 weeks of training are complete (and motivation is still sky high!!:p) here is a breakdown of the weekly mileage to date:

Week 1: 26.9 5 sessions
    Week 2: 25.5 5 sessions
    Week 3: 19.9 4 sessions
    Week 4: 37.7 6 sessions
    Week 5: 25.1 4 sessions
    Week 6: 28.8 5 sessions
    Week 7: 36.0 5 sessions
    Week 8: 45.2 6 sessions
    Week 9: 24.1 4 sessions
    Week 10: 42.3 5 sessions

114.6 miles in July
    161.6 miles in August (highest monthly total :))

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭blind_hurler

That's some great running and I'm glad the leg held up..

Date: 01-9-09
    Programme: 8 miles
    I Ran: 8.1 miles
    Time: 01:07.01
    Ave Pace: 8:16/mile
    Weather: Showers sunny mild 17C
    Days To DCM: 55

8 miles is hard to squeeze in at lunch time. Luckily we operate a flexi-time arrangement, and I can therefore skip morning break and take a slightly extended lunch "hour".
    Today was fine, picked it up a bit for the last few miles.
    Leg is back to near perfect ;).
    Back is still stiff but the pain has all but gone ;).
    Lip has two purple bruises to match where the plug hit my teeth :p.

Date: 03-9-09
    I Ran: 5.1 miles
    Time: 38.56
    Ave Pace: 7:38/mile
    Weather: Sunny breezy cool 15C
    Days To DCM: 53

Bit of speed training on the track.

Mile 1: 8:12
    Mile 2: 6:27
    Mile 3: 8:18
    Mile 4: 6:20
    Mile 5: 8:27

Lovely day for running, once you got warmed-up -cooling breeze coupled with bright blue skies.
    Legs felt very strong and back is almost back (very weak pun -sorry :o) to normal.

Date: 04-9-09
    Time: 01:07.02
    Ave Pace: 8:16/mile
    Weather: Sunny windy showers cool 14C
    Days To DCM: 52

Nice pace.
    Exact same route as last Tuesday and did it in almost the same time. At least I'm consistent. A shower rolled-in 3 miles into run and the temperature dropped from 19C to 12C (my conservative guess ;)) in the space of minutes. Man it was cold under that black cloud.

Date: 05-9-09
    Programme: 18 miles
    I Ran: 18 miles
    Time: 02:36.17
    Ave Pace: 8:41/mile
    Weather: Cloudy cool 13C
    Days To DCM: 51

My head was saying no for this one. But in my heart of hearts I knew that I had to get it done on Sat as we were out Sat night and the forecast for Sunday was poor at best.
    Out the door for 08:10.
    Legs were heavy from the start :(. Got a nice rhythm going nonetheless and I was a little bit up on last weeks 17 miles at the 1 hour mark.
    Met three or four separate "batches" of cyclists and all were voiciferous in their hellos. Nice.
    From 13 miles on, I am reluctant to use the word struggling, but I was finding it a little bit more difficult than last weeks effort. Had to pass my finishing point (M-I-L's house) twice in order to complete the 18 miles and was sorely tempted each time to call it a day, but thankfully (now) I didn't and completed my 18 miles.
    Found it tough and refrained from hard manual labour for the rest of the day :p.
    Good news - the monotony of the weekend LSR will be broken next weekend with the Blarney Half Marathon. This will hopefully re-invigorate me for the scheduled 20 miles the following weekend after that.

PS - Up the Cats :). A terrific 4-in-a-row!

• Advertisement

Date: 07-9-09
    Time: Forgot watch!
    Ave Pace: Forgot watch!
    Weather: Hazy sunshine mild 19C
    Days To DCM: 49 (=7 x 7 weeks)

Uncomfortable for the first 2 or 3 miles :(, tried to do a nice slow run but without watch found it hard to pace myself. Thought I ran slowly enough and Prob ran it in or around 43:00?
    Things picked up for the last mile or so, or maybe that was just the psychology of knowing the run was nearly over :(.

Date: 08-9-09
    Time: Forgot watch again :eek:!
    Ave Pace: Forgot watch!
    Weather: Overcast 17C
    Days To DCM: 48

Travelled nicely today at a quicker pace than yesterday. Reckon I was turning out 7:30 - 7:40 miles and was relatively comfortable throughout, so gotta be happy with that.

Date: 11-9-09
    Time: 38:08
    Ave Pace: 7:28/mile
    Weather: Warm sunny 21C
    Days To DCM: 45

2 enforced rest days on Wed & Thurs, so ran this one at a nice quick pace.
    Beautiful morning for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

eliwallach wrote: »
    2 enforced rest days on Wed & Thurs, so ran this one at a nice quick pace.
    Beautiful morning for it.

How did you feel running quicker. Your paces are very similar to mine so just curious.

Woddle wrote: »
    How did you feel running quicker. Your paces are very similar to mine so just curious.

Curiously, when I start a run at a quicker pace, I find it easier to keep that pace, and when I start at at slower pace my body doesn't react too well when I ask for a quicker pace. All psychological of course.
    When I do the quicker paces, I generally feel fine and more tellingly, I recover very quickly after them i.e. within 30 - 60 sec.Iam breathing normally and am wondering what all the fuss is about!

Date: 13-9-09
    Programme: 13 miles
    I Ran: 13.1 miles (St. FinbarrsBlarney Half Marathon)
    Time: 01:40:20
    Ave Pace: 7:39/mile
    Weather: Warm sunny 22C
    Days To DCM: 43

Hal Higdon wanted 13 miles this weekend and St. Finbarr's AC duly obliged with their annual staging of the Blarney Half Marathon.
    Last years event was a rain-athon and made for a miserable 13.1 miles for me in which I clocked 01:50.51; this year however the sun came out to play. Talking to a few at the start line and comparisons were being made with the weather for the Cork City Marathon - surely not in the middle of Sept?
    Met Blind Hurler at the start line fully decked out in Boards AC singlet and factor 20.
    We were set off pretty much on time and with afield a 550 it didn't take long to get a bit of running space (although a road race would not be complete without the usual slow runners whon start up near the front).
    Caught up with Condo131 during the first mile and exchanged pleasantaries - I said it probably wasn't a day for a PB, he said it was, however, a good day for a PW :(.
    First mile in 7:30 and I was feeling good but was mindful of the hills still before us. Mile 2 in 7:30 again. The sun was really beating down on us now and for mile 3 we were exposed to the full heat of the sun. Thankfully we were back under shade for the next couple of miles. Water was provided in plastic cups ergo 20% in your mouth and 80% over your face and down your front, which probably wasn't a bad thing today.Small uphill for the second half of mile 3 saw the pace drop back to 7:36/mile. Beforehane I was in 2 minds whether to run this as a training race or to go for a PB - after the first 3 miles went so well I decided to maintain the pace as best I could over the next hilly section and then "make hay" over the downhill section. The uphill section began in earnest from mile 4.5 to 6.5. It really was relentless. Just keep the head down and count 100 paces and have a look up. Head down again and count another 100 paces, look up.......
    Finally the village of Grenagh, and a steep downhill section. Last year I went "cracked" on this section and passed loads of runners, and ultimately paid the price later :(. Today was a time for cool heads. Condo131 had passed me around mile 4 and now I found him just in front of me cleverly running the shortest route possible from bend-to-bend, I follwed him and enjoyed the downhill without going too crazy.
    There was a long section between mile 7 and mile 9 along a very quiet road during which I upped the pace a little and felt good. In my mind I was doing some rapid calculations and felt I was in good enough shape to beat my Current PB of 01:42.18 - set in Bantry in May, but this was a great chance for me to beat 01:40.00. All my calculations pointed to a 01:39.xx finish.
    Just after mile 9 we looped back onto the first 4 miles of the route. I hadn't remembered all of this section being downhill on the way out(!) as I now found myself climbling slightly under the shade of the trees. I was still picking-off some runners along this section. The exposed section Mile 11 to mile 12 was tough and the sun was both hot and in our eyes.
    Mile 12 was dig-in time. My legs were feeling it a bit now. The lead car (now finished with the business end of the race) had returned to the course and drove just in front of me - this was a first! At the mile 12 marker the lead-car clock read 01:31.xx - a sub 01:40 was still on :pac:. The last mile was tough and long. Still on target though - it was then that I remembered to 0.1mile at the end of the race. All calculations wrong and all bets off :(. To compound matters there was a nasty sting in the tail of the Blarney Half Marathon with a sharp sapping uphill just before the finish line, so any attempted sprint finish was ended before it could begin.
    Crossed the line in 01:40.20 to record a PB and you've gotta be happy any day you register a PB, even if the sub 01:40 had eluded me.
    Copious amounts of sports drinks and bananas at finish line. Medal was unceremoniously dumped into my hand too. More tea & grub back at race HQ. But the day was just too hot and nice to be sitting around drinking tea :cool:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

great PB yesterday, thats >10min improvement, well done!
    shows that your training lately is going really well...and the PB will make training easier this week!

and the PB will make training easier this week!

'deed and it will ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

great PB yesterday, thats >10min improvement, well done!
    shows that your training lately is going really well...and the PB will make training easier this week!

+1 great going Eli, you are well on course with your marathon training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Great running mr wallach, are you doing the Dublin half?

• Advertisement

Date: 14-9-09
    Time: No watch (in my other runners at home :o)
    Ave Pace: 8:40/mile (guestimate)
    Weather: Warm mostly cloudy 20C
    Days To DCM: 42

5 miles to loosen out the legs after yesterday, although truth be told, they weren't bad at all.
    This is the third time in a week that I have left my stopwatch stuck in one of my runners back home, so couldn't guage my run. Fair to say it was at a 'handy' pace though.

Great running mr wallach, are you doing the Dublin half?

Thanks for that OI.

No, this was my only Half' in preparation for the real deal in October.
    Next race will be the Cork to Cobh 15 mile on Oct 4th - although that is throwing up a dilemma that I will re-visit at a later date.

Just realised that my performance yesterday (almost) is the title of your log OI ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

good running sham, going well

Date: 15-9-09
    Time: 01:06.39
    Ave Pace: 8:14/mile
    Weather: Warm mostly cloudy 19C
    Days To DCM: 41

Thought I was doing a really easy pace and never pushed matters along, but I ended up running relatively comfortably at a quicker time than planned.
    Had a slight sore throat beforehand and was mindful of the fact that a virus could be setting in (bearing in mind it's like a small hospital back home), so I invoked a get out clause before the run in which I could cut short my route if required. Thankfully I didn't have to cash it in.

Happy73 has invited me to join a group of them at lunchtimes to run certain routes - but I think he is just trying to lead me into the murky world that is speed sessions :rolleyes:.
    Seriously; After the DCM schedule has expired (only 5 weeks of earnest endeavour left) - I will be more flexible for such running.

Date: 16-9-09
    Time: 37:05
    Ave Pace: 7:16/mile
    Weather: Warm mostly sunny 20C
    Days To DCM: 40

Tricked myself today.
    Didn't tell myself this was gonna be a quick run until 30 sec beforehand. And d'ya know, I think it worked ;)!
    Knowing how big a fan of the quick stuff that I am, it wasn't too bad.
    Started off at a quick pace and maintained it throughout although I did probably dip a little in mile 4 only to step it up again for the final push.
    That's the thing with the speed sessions/quick stuff - you're just so glad you've done it afterwards.

The big 39 tomorrow. Might take a day off (from running that is).

Date: 19-9-09
    Programme: 20 miles
    I Ran: 19.5 miles
    Time: 02:46:30
    Ave Pace: 8:32/mile
    Weather: Light rain & drizzle 15C
    Days To DCM: 37

This was a good run.
    Things are starting to fall nicely into place :).
    The first two miles were not good, however, as the effects of an ill-advised Chinese' the night before came back to haunt me.
    After that, the rhythm formed and I was aware that I was running slightly above (:eek: - albeit by a few seconds) marathon pace. Reached 10 miles in 1:24. still going well. At 14 miles my legs became slightly crampy, so I ran with an exaggerated stride just to work some different muscles and that seemed to work. Worryingly though, the cramping persisted for the remainder of the run, but in all honesty didn't affect my pace.
    Coming towards the end of the run I felt relatively strong and I was asking mysely could I now face a 10K?, and I have to say it held no fear for me. In fact I sprint finished the last 300 metres just to prove to myself that I had some left in the tank, and that felt good. On a high for the rest of ther day :D.

Date: 22-9-09
    Time: 41:40
    Ave Pace: 8:10/mile
    Weather: Warm sunny 20C
    Days To DCM: 34

It was warm out there for this run.
    Was on training seminar for couple of days so it felt good to shake off the cobwebs and get some fresh air.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Eli,

I reckon i ll be sitting on your shoulder for the DCM and no doubt we ll be sitting on Hunny's. all our times are pretty similar, and like me you tend to do a few of the runs at slighlty faster than recommended. its hard to slow down at times. you ve alot more mileage and long runs done tho. very consistent training

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Eli,

I reckon i ll be sitting on your shoulder for the DCM and no doubt we ll be sitting on Hunny's. all our times are pretty similar, and like me you tend to do a few of the runs at slighlty faster than recommended. its hard to slow down at times. you ve alot more mileage and long runs done tho. very consistent training

Thanks Kenny.
    Will be keeping an eye out for you - but I think HM's shoulders are beginninng too become crowded and I hope she can take the strain ;).

Date: 23-9-09
    Time: 39:43
    Ave Pace: 7:47/mile
    Weather: Warm sunny 20C
    Days To DCM: 33

Ran "my" 5.1 mile route at a quicker pace today, although I was conscious of not going beyond any comfort zones, rather I was using a longer stride pattern. Felt good throughout but my left calf muscle was a little sore afterwards.

• Advertisement

Date: 24-9-09
    Time: 38:59
    Ave Pace: 7:37/mile
    Weather: Warm mostly sunny 19C
    Days To DCM: 32

Mile 1: 7:52
    Mile 2: 6:27
    Mile 3: 8:22