Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes by Anna McPartlin

Despite a very upsetting topic this is a great book. While the subject of cancer is not one that I would choose for reading material generally I picked this book up based on good reviews and it certainly didn't disappoint.

The Hayes characters are developed so well that you feel like you are part of the family. The story takes you through the lives of 'ma' & 'da' and the three siblings Grace, Davey, and Mia (Rabbit) and her daughter Juliet, plus all the friends they made along the way. It swings from present to past which usually annoys me but it works in this story. Heartbreaking, beautiful and funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Finished Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari after dipping into it now and then over several months. I preferred to take my time with it as there are a wide range of ideas to take on board. I enjoyed it overall. There was a nice blend of history, philiosophy, and even some sci-fi near the end. Would recommend it if that's your thing.

I've got the follow-up Homo Deus that I've just begun, but like the first one I'll be reading it in small doses.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Where the Crawdads Sing by Della Owens is an amazing book, beautifully written, fantastic imagery of the marsh where Kya lives and very well developed characters. Got totally immersed in the whole story and didn't want it to finish.

On to The Dutch House now, hope it's as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Us Against You by Fredrik Backman

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Ask Again, Yes by Mary Beth Keane

About half way through and really enjoying it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Nostalgia by Jonathan Buckley. Love it so far.

Finished Solar Bones. Loved it. Stream of consciousness but very readable, very Irish but not twee.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The Sleeper Lies by Andrea Mara, so far so good. It's really creepy in parts, I'm looking forward to reading more. Her previous two books were also very good (One Click and The Other Side of the Fence) but I think this one might be her best yet. Will have to see :D

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gigantic09

The lady in the lake by Raymond Chandler

Broads, dames, Shéamus's and a far from straight forward plot. I'm a big fan of old noir movies, but can't imagine the movie can top the book here which I found to be thoroughly enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

52 Times Britain was a Bellend by James Felton. Very funny and interesting so far.

• Advertisement

History of the Rain by Niall Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭TheFortField

The Hunting Party by Lucy Foley

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

The Talk Of The Town by Ardal O'Hanlon. It's good so far but I find myself reading it in Fr. Dougal's voice.

The Beekeeper of Aleppo by Christy Lefteri

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Drive your plough over the bones of the dead, Olga Tokarczuk. My first of her books. About 50 pages in and it's great stuff

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I'm reading Everyone Brave is Forgiven by Chris Cleaves.
    Took a couple of chapters to get going but I'm about half way through now and really liking it

Xofpod wrote: »
    Drive your plough over the bones of the dead, Olga Tokarczuk. My first of her books. About 50 pages in and it's great stuff

Isn't it just a fabulous book. Your post reminded me to follow up Flights. :)

Callan57 wrote: »
    The Beekeeper of Aleppo by Christy Lefteri

I just finished that and loved it. Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished book 6 Chapterhouse Dune the final book of Frank Herbert's Dune series. Enjoyed the series overall but the ending was a bit flat I must admit. The first 3 books were good. 4 was average 5 picked things up again and book 6 was a bit average due mainly to the ending.

Amonst finished The Dutch House by Ann Patchett

• Advertisement

Callan57 wrote: »
    Amonst finished The Dutch House by Ann Patchett

That's another one that I read recently and loved.

Just finished the Beekeeper of Aleppo, that's another great read.

Reading The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell and really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭The White Feather

eire4 wrote: »
    Finished book 6 Chapterhouse Dune the final book of Frank Herbert's Dune series. Enjoyed the series overall but the ending was a bit flat I must admit. The first 3 books were good. 4 was average 5 picked things up again and book 6 was a bit average due mainly to the ending.

Are you going to read any other of the novels in the universe ? The ones done by his son Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson?

I thought they weren't great except The Butlerian Jihad. I would recommend that one to read. Its the war against the thinking machines that was referenced throughout the original novels and I really liked it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Enjoyed Salt Lane and Deadland.
    Now reading Sympathy for the Devil.
    All three by William Shaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Reading The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell and really enjoying it.
    Loved it

Three Women by Lisa Taddeo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished Jo Nesbo's crime thriller Headhunters. All his earlier books were based around his Harry Hole character. This one was the first of his that I read that was a stand alone book and I thought it was very enjoyable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Starting A Spark of Light by Jodi Picoult this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Three chapters into An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green, enjoying it so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Quichotte, Salman Rushdie. About 100 pages in and seems like to could be a real return to form. Stories within stories within stories

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Xofpod wrote: »
    Quichotte, Salman Rushdie. About 100 pages in and seems like to could be a real return to form. Stories within stories within stories

I liked it. Quite Flann O'Brienish in many ways, i thought. Not that Rushdie has likely ever read Myles, but still.

Advertisement