Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭The White Feather

miamee wrote: »
    The Mysterious Affair at Styles - Agatha Christie. I've never read any Agatha Christy but always loved Poirot on TV as a kid. Really enjoying it so far.

All her books are very good. All highly recommended if you like mysteries

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I do so Im delighted to have so many to look forward to now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,418 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Freedom by Jonathon Franzen

An excellent read, though the chapters are bit too long to be digested in manageable chunks for me. He goes off a little on his cat-hating/bird-loving hobby horse a bit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

The Flight of Cornelia Blackwood by Susan Elliot Wright is a very sad book (avoid if you have small children !)
    Now into In the Night Wood by Dale Bailey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

A House full of Secrets by Zoe Miller

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished Jo Nesbo's crime thriller The Devil's Star. Another enjoyable read from Nesbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I'm reading Trainwreck, a really interesting book by Sady Doyle about female celebrities such as Britney Spears, Amy Winehouse, Marilyn Monroe, Billie Holiday and lots more who have had very public meltdowns, and the contributory societal factors. I'd really recommend it, it's so insightful and really eye-opening.

In fact this may be the first piece of self-proclaimed feminist literature that I've actually enjoyed - that says a lot! By which I mean, while it's coming from a feminist standpoint, it's not preachy or man-hatey and doesn't beat you over the head with any particular agenda.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Donal Ryan's "From a Low and Quiet Sea". And I'll read his other books one after the other (I started with "The Spinning Heart"). He's absolutely brilliant, and after having seen him (with Anne Griffin) being interviewed by Rick O'Shea last Saturday in Westport, I can also say he's very very witty. (Great night, BTW).

Into the Water by Paula Hawkins

The Second Sleep by Robert Harris

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Callan57 wrote: »
    The Second Sleep by Robert Harris

Would be interested to hear what you think of it, I enjoy Robert Harris but have read very mixed reviews.

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Would be interested to hear what you think of it, I enjoy Robert Harris but have read very mixed reviews.

Finished The Second Sleep last night. It was OK but definitely not in the same league as Fatherland! The premise is interesting but I felt the delivery was a bit lacking & it felt like the author wasn't too sure where he wanted the story to go.
    I'd probably give it 3/5* ... worth a read but definitely not his best.

Next for me is The Patient Assassin by Anita Anand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Frankenstein. Excellent read.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭antietam1

The new Harry Bosch and Jack Reacher plus CJ Ransom's Tombland.
    J Reacher awful.
    About to start Mick Heron's slow horses.

A Place Called Winter by Patrick Gale

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Hell is round the Corner, the Tricky autobiography. Great if you liked the music of the period and the book is particularly good on his childhood and family background.

Conversations with Friends, Sally Rooney. It's good but I'm finding it harder to love than Normal People.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Lying In Wait - Liz Nugent.

Finished book 4 in Frank Herbert's sci fi Dune Series God Emperor of Dune. A bit of a drop off from the first 3 books in the series I felt but still decent.

Recently finished The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell, what a page turner !
    Now reading Entry Island by Peter May

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭The White Feather

eire4 wrote: »
    Finished book 4 in Frank Herbert's sci fi Dune Series God Emperor of Dune. A bit of a drop off from the first 3 books in the series I felt but still decent.

I found the first 3 are great but they really get poorer as they go on.Each one is not as good as the last one. The prequels by his son range from good to terrible but are in no way in the first 3 dunes series league. I felt his son was just keeping the money coming in by writing more and more novels. The ones based on his fathers (Frank Herbert) notes were fairly good but the ones he made up on his own were terrible.

• Advertisement

I found the first 3 are great but they really get poorer as they go on.Each one is not as good as the last one. The prequels by his son range from good to terrible but are in no way in the first 3 dunes series league. I felt his son was just keeping the money coming in by writing more and more novels. The ones based on his fathers (Frank Herbert) notes were fairly good but the ones he made up on his own were terrible.

Thanks for the advice on the sons books. I will steer clear of them so. I of course still have the last 2 books in the original series to go but totally agree with you so far. The first 3 books really good stuff. The fourth one decent but nothing like the first 3 at all. I will crack out book 5 next month and see how that goes.

The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Midnight in Chernobyl By Adam Higginbotham. It's a long read and at times tedious if you're not of a scientific background but worth persevering with.

It's the account of the nuclear plant from planning stage right through to the court case of those held responsible for the explosion by the authorities. It's a shocking, disturbing read but also a very enlightening account of the disaster.

Now on to something a bit lighter Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons.

Happy Christmas to all fellow readers and thanks for all the recommendations through the year.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Re-reading "Knowing Max" by James Long. I love it.

Finished The Redeemer by Jo Nesbo. An exciting crime thriller that was an enjoyable read.

Just started I Am Pilgrim and looking forward to getting stuck into it. I hope it lives up to all the good reviews I have seen, it's a long one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

It's a great read. Worth the effort for its size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Almost finished La Confidential (again), phew!
    Then it’s The latest in The Last Kingdom series from Bernard Cornwell.

finished over Christmas: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan

• Advertisement

Educated by Tara Westover

Advertisement