Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Nick Hornby - High Fidelity.

David Copperfield by some Dickens chap

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

The Watsons by Rose Servitova

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Modern Gods by Nick Laird

The Outrun by Amy Liptrot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Callan57 wrote: »
    The Outrun by Amy Liptrot

I abandoned that one when I started it a while back.

An alcoholic in the Orkney islands full of wildlife descriptions.....

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Flowers for Algernon by David Keyes. An emotional roller-coaster, & extremely thought provoking. Charlie is such a loveable character I didn't want the book to end. Highly recommend it.

The Secret Commonwealth, Phillip Pullman.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

When the time comes by Adele O'Neill. I've only just started it but I like how it's written so far.

Night of the Hunter by Davis Grubb

Really enjoying it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Flowers for Algernon by David Keyes. An emotional roller-coaster, & extremely thought provoking. Charlie is such a loveable character I didn't want the book to end. Highly recommend it.

Only read that for the first time late last year. It's really, really good. It had been a long time on my to read list and didn't disappoint.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Night of the Hunter by Davis Grubb

Really enjoying it!

The film is marvelous. I never actually knew it was based on a book. Be interested to hear your final verdict.

quickbeam wrote: »
    The film is marvelous. I never actually knew it was based on a book. Be interested to hear your final verdict.

I have reviewed it in my reading log here on Boards but the quick answer is that it is a great book and very much recommended. Probably even more so if you liked the movie too which I must watch again now!

Blood Orange by Harriet Tyce

• Registered Users Posts: 11,912 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Midnight in Chernobyl by Adam Higginbotham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

The Bridge by Iain Banks.

Really good read, would highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭divide_by_zero

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula le Guin

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭norabattie

Where the crawdads sing - fantastic book

• Registered Users Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished book 5 of Frank Herbert's sci fi Dune Series. Heretics of Dune was good I liked it. With one book left in the series I felt the first 3 books were all good. The fourth was more average as I felt it did not really go anywhere after a good start but this one I felt was another good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭4Ad

World Gone By -Denis Lehane
    First book of his I have read, very good.

• Advertisement

4Ad wrote: »
    World Gone By -Denis Lehane
    First book of his I have read, very good.

Good book, but actually the third in a sequence. The first two are even better in my opinion, particularly the second (Live by Night)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 denpat1

Churchill by Andrew Roberts

The Old Ways by Andrew McFarlane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

The neighbour fiona Cummins. Finding it good so far

Miss Emily by Nuala O'Connor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Going to try and finish Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk. Picked it up 5-6 years ago and found it difficult to read due to the broken English and Redacted words/sentences. While I understand the aim this was meant to invoke, it didn't make for an easy read, even for such a small book.

I really enjoyed Pygmy. I have read it a few times. The style takes a bit of getting used to though alright. But I love all of Chuck Palahniuk's books anyway!!

Going to try and finish Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk. Picked it up 5-6 years ago and found it difficult to read due to the broken English and Redacted words/sentences. While I understand the aim this was meant to invoke, it didn't make for an easy read, even for such a small book.

It was the straw that broke the camel's back as far as Palahniuk was concerned for me. Was steadily enjoying his books less and less and this one sealed the deal.
    He strikes me as one of those guys who is chock-a-block full of ideas but just can't actually write very well....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Started, and finished, Vox over the last week. Real Handmaid's Tale vibe to it.

Just started Chasing the Flame by Samantha Power.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished The Snowman by Jo Nesbo. A very enjoyable crime thriller.

• Advertisement

Circe by Madeline Miller

Advertisement