Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭farmerval

Reading lots through the lock down, finished;
    The boy who followed his father into Auschwitz. Really good read.
    Normal people, Sally Rooney, good book, started really well, faded somewhat.
    Idaho, really disappointed in this, very well written, too much left unsaid in it.
    Blood and Sugar, Thriller set around slave trading, really excellent thriller.
    The Killer in me, Olivia Kiernan, Irish set crime novel, thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Where the Crawdads sing. Good book, read it straight after Idaho, possibly too much slow moving, very detailed descriptions in two books in a row. Way better than Idaho though.
    Willie Carlin, Thatchers spy. Good read. Good insight into the times, also good insight into mentality of various factions at the time.

Thanks to all who put up what they've read and what they thought of it, this thread is currently my first port of call when looking for new books.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Finished The Sleeper Lies by Andrea Mara. A good crime thriller with a couple of unforseen twists and turns. Will look for more books by her.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Finished Dracul - Enjoyed it, but its original cast a very very big shadow over it.
    Reading the Hidden Girl and Other Stories - Very interesting selection of short stories, all with a bit of a Black Mirror/Love Death and Robots vibe
    Reading Us by David Nicholls - for an online book club I joined for next week - Enjoying it so far, a nice light bit of relationship commentary.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Finished The Sleeper Lies by Andrea Mara. A good crime thriller with a couple of unforseen twists and turns. Will look for more books by her.

She has two others, 'One Click' and 'The Other Side of the Wall'. I think 'The Sleeper Lies' was the best of the three but the other two are definitely worth a read, I enjoyed all of them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Currently reading Blood Orange which I am enjoying, easy enough read and find myself looking forward to reading another bit - always a good sign.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Just finished TinMan which I really enjoyed.

Starting The Education of an Idealist tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭The White Feather

At the moment I am reading Pandemic by AG Riddle

A pandemic breaks out and the W.H.O races to stop it.

How do they think up these far fetched plots?!!

It is very good so far. (May as well read it as we are living in one!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,060 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

It by Stephen King.

I've been a King fan since I was twelve or thirteen but I've only read the Shining, Misery and Doctor Sleep, though I've re-read the Shining a dozen times and obviously find myself appreciating even more about it. I am a bit daunted by the size of his collection, tbh. It seems to be his mangum opus so I wanted to give it a go.

I think It is brilliant so far. I'm about 400 pages so still a fair whack to go.

Finished How to Measure a Cow by Margaret Forster last night .... really enjoyed it but felt the ending was unsatisfactory.

Next is Princess by Jean Sasson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Xofpod

It by Stephen King.

I've been a King fan since I was twelve or thirteen but I've only read the Shining, Misery and Doctor Sleep, though I've re-read the Shining a dozen times and obviously find myself appreciating even more about it. I am a bit daunted by the size of his collection, tbh. It seems to be his mangum opus so I wanted to give it a go.

I think It is brilliant so far. I'm about 400 pages so still a fair whack to go.

If you like his stuff that you've read to date, you absolutely HAVE TO read the Stand, for the times that are in it....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

otnomart wrote: »
    Just started: The Snakes by Sadie Jones
    Was not gripped by this one, although I could well picture a movie made from it, as the descriptions were good. Disappointing and pointless ending in my opinion.

Just started Those People by Louise Candlish and finding it a real page turner.

Enjoyed The Trick to Time by Kit de Waal, although it did jump around from present to past at a dizzying pace at times.

Next up The Diary of a Bookseller by Shaun Bythell who owns the Bookshop in Wigtown in Scotland. Recommended by Rick O'Shea on his Facebook book club.

In case any one hasn't seen, Rick is doing live podcasts on Mon, Wed & Thurs.. interviewing a different author each night. Worth a look. I think the archived podcasts are on youtube also.

At the moment I am reading Pandemic by AG Riddle

A pandemic breaks out and the W.H.O races to stop it.

How do they think up these far fetched plots?!!

It is very good so far. (May as well read it as we are living in one!)

This turned out to be even better than expected. Thought it was a medical thriller but turned into the Bourne Identity mixed with the tv show Lost.

Now I am reading its sequel called Genome

Finished Wolf Hall, and it is every bit as good as they say it is. The other two will definitely be going into the pile and I intend to get to them a lot sooner than I did with this one.

On to A Thousand Moons, Sebastian Barry. Adored the first one so hoping for more of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Finished The Hidden Girl and other stories - loved nearly every story, great sci-fi stories with a not-so-thinly veiled eco-warning message.

Starting Circe by Madeleine Miller next. Not my usual kind of thing but it comes recommended.

Finished Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese ... the depth of medical detail was overdone I felt but an interesting and gripping read nonetheless.

Next The Rearranged Life of Oona Lockhart by Margarita Montimore

Reading Finders Keepers by Mark Bowden

Its a true story about a guy who found 1.2 million dollars that literally fell off an armoured car! It was made into a movie "Money for Nothing" starring John Cusack that I saw years ago. The true story is way different to the movie!

Finished The Rearranged Life of Oona Lockhart ... it was an OK read

Starting AKIN by Emma Donoghue this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Reading Pieces To Weight by the literary icon 50 Cent. Sometimes I just like to take a break from heavy reading.

• Advertisement

Finished AKIN by Emma Donoghue last night ... beautiful book, I loved it.

Next is Dear Edward by Ann Napolitano

Was a bit disappointed with A Thousand Moons (Sebastian Barry), but maybe only by comparison with Days Without End, which is one of my favourite books of recent years

Callan57 wrote: »

Next is Dear Edward by Ann Napolitano

Nearly finished Dear Edward and loving it. Hearbreaking and heartwarming, want to give him a cuddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished Marion Zimmer Bradley's The Mists of Avalon. Historical fiction that follows on from The Forest House and Lady of Avalon and gets to the whole Arthurian period. Was ok but must admit nowhere near what I was hoping for.

The Poisonwood Bible. Really enjoying it so far.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

The Poisonwood Bible. Really enjoying it so far.

One of my favourite books.

Just finished Such a Fun Age which I enjoyed but felt the author could have delved into certain issues better.

Now reading Homo Deus

Recently finished "The Year of Magical Thinking" by Joan Didion. It's a novel about her dealing with grief at the death of her husband. It's quite heartbreaking in parts and underlines how people grieve (and deal with grief) in many different ways.

I also just finished the audiobook of "Crash" by JG Ballard. I really liked how messed up the story is, but also how it's dealt with quite clinically. I always love finding books that are nothing like anything else out there. I watched the film of it at the weekend and it's just as f@*ked up.

I have just started "Adjustment Day" by Chuck Palahniuk. I always plough through his books but always feel a bit let down about halfway through. This one is no exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Just finished Narrow Dog To Carcassonne by Terry Darlington - hilarious travel book

The Five: The Untold Stories of the Women killed by Jack the Ripper by Hallie Rubenhold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 a classic and really a must read and sadly quite topical today with so many authoritarian regime's around the world today.

Advertisement