Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

'The Accidental Wife' - Orla McAlinden

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I can't recommend Address Unknown by Kressman Taylor highly enough ... takes about an hour to read it but in the current climate it really resonates.

Last night I started Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead by Olga Tokarczuk picked it for the title but I'm really enjoying it, dark but oddly funny in parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

[B]Mad , bad , dangerous to know , by Colm Toibin, about the fathers of Wilde, Yeats and Joyce ... does help to put things in context but It doesnt really work for me , a lot of the material seems inexpertly cobbled together from various anecdotes and quotations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Just finished ‘Holy Orders’ by Benjamin Black (John Banville). A Quirke novel.
    Good stuff. There are whole chapters that read like short stories. I may get hold of the other 6 in the series and read them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished The Redbreast by Jo Nesbo a crime thriller with a world war 2 background and neo nazi theme. An enjoyable read.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Read Heartburn by Nora Ephron over the weekend and while I enjoyed it, I wasn't blown away.
    Started Hunger by Roxane Gay last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Xofpod

For a change of pace reading How to be a Footballer by Peter Crouch, and it is pretty funny stuff.
    Also reading Dead Man's Trousers, the most recent Irvine Welsh book/Trainspotting sequel. His stuff really suffered from diminishing returns in recent years but I eventually gave in and picked this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JoZeb

The new Tony Hill/Carol Jordan book by Val McDermid. Although I'm more of a sff/fantasy gal, I've also just finished Adrian McKinty's The Chain, which was very good.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Just started Burial Rites by Hannah Kent this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Really enjoyed Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead by Olga Tokarczuk

Last night started The Choice by Edith Eger

Listening to The Conversations at Curlow Creek by David Malouf on Borrowbox & it is superb

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Daisies wrote: »
    Read Heartburn by Nora Ephron over the weekend and while I enjoyed it, I wasn't blown away.

I'm half way through Heartburn and I'm not overly impressed. It feels like the beginning on an idea and it's just being fleshed out with other random stuff to fill the pages. I can imagine quite a few scenes playing out on screen in the style of Ephron's films though. Maybe she should have done that instead of the book.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

I'm half way through Heartburn and I'm not overly impressed. It feels like the beginning on an idea and it's just being fleshed out with other random stuff to fill the pages. I can imagine quite a few scenes playing out on screen in the style of Ephron's films though. Maybe she should have done that instead of the book.

Same. A friend of mine is shocked I didn't love it but I felt it was weirdly disjointed, I didn't really connect with the main character. On the other hand just finished Roxane Gay's Hunger and loved it. Wanted to wrap teenage Roxane up and tell her she is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

miamee wrote: »
    Just started Burial Rites by Hannah Kent this morning.

brilliant book

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I did watch Heartburn the movie a couple of times and liked it at the time, expecially Meryl Streep's performance
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091188/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

otnomart wrote: »
    I did watch Heartburn the movie a couple of times and liked it at the time, expecially Meryl Streep's performance

I had no idea it was a film too :D

I don't like Meryl Streep and the book did nothing for me so unlikely I'll watch it.

otnomart wrote: »

Interesting. Might have a watch.

Currently reading MilkMan and I'm not loving it. There is something about the writing style.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

New Home wrote: »
    "MY grandmother sends her regards and apologizes" isn't as good, IMO. But I'm only a third of the way through.

Actually, it did pick up two thirds of the way through. Quite good, all in all.

Also, I've recently devoured "Slade House", David Mitchell never disappoints me.

Then a couple of days ago I started "Eight Ghosts: The English Heritage Book of New Ghost Stories", a book of short stories written by Kate Clanchy, Stuart Evers, Mark Haddon, Andrew Michael Hurley, Sarah Perry, Max Porter, Kamila Shamsie, and Jeanette Winterson. I've left Kamila Shamsie's chapter for last, as she's my favourite, so I'm yet to read it, but the rest of the stories are rather entertaining.

Looking forward to starting "Plays - Vol. Three: Shining City; The Seafarer; The Birds; The Veil; The Dance of Death" by Conor McPherson, who's just a genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JoZeb

I enjoyed Slade House. I thought it was quite brave, what he did, because he tells you where the story will end right from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Reading Dracula and The Innovators.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

'The Trespasser' by Tana French. I had listened to 2 or 3 of hers on Audible, but this one is the first hard copy I've read. Pretty good. Have ordered another one online.

The other one that I had ordered online was The Secret Place, featuring the same two detectives. Finished it now. I think it's the best of Tana French's that I've read so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 MistyLines

Not long finished Beartown by Frederick Backman. Loved it and can't wait to read the sequel. I love his writing style. Before that it was I am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes. Very enjoyable indeed.

American Adulterer by Jed Mercurio.
    A fictionalised take on JFK as a clinical case study:
    in constant pain and medicated up to his eyeballs.
    afflicted by sex addiction and diarrhea.
    Quite amusing so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,760 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Demolished Normal People in one afternoon and I'm onto The Beach now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Halfway through Kevin Barry's Night Boat To Tangier after picking it up in the library yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭TheFortField

I’ve just finished The Muse by Jessie Burton.

Next read is: Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami.

Finished The Unauthorised Diary of Ezra Mass. Admired the meta aspect of it but for me, who reads to relax and escape, I found the narrative suffered towards the end in an effort to be technical.

But I look forward to reading some analyses by people who are more apt than I.

Am now going to read The Handmaids Tale and am looking forward to it.

I'm about halfway through 'Helter Skelter' by Vincent Bugliosi and Curt Gentry. It's a detailed look at the Manson Family murders of 1969 written by the prosecuting District Attorney. I meant to read it yours ago. 'Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood' put it back on my reading list.

It's quite the book. 'Stranger than fiction' doesn't even cover it. It's in a similar vein to Norman Mailer's book on Gary Gilmore, 'The Executioner's Song' or Capote's 'In Cold Blood'.

finished Even Dogs in the Wild and Rather Be the Devil, now on to In a House of Lies
    the last three in Rebus series by Ian Rankin

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

"Yeats is dead", by 15 different authors, including Conor McPherson. It's an oldish book publish in aid of Amnesty International. Good, so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Xofpod

A Red Death, by Walter Mosley.

Advertisement