Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mixing sprints with a run

Options
  • 22-06-2009 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    village idiot type question here.

Looking at the Advanced Marathoning training plan and the first run is
    7 mi w/10 x 100m

Now obviously this means running 10 x 100m sprints in teh middle of the run.
    When do you run it?
    What's the recovery in between?

Am I correct in my assumptions?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

I would assume you do the strides / sprints at the end of the run, with a jog/walk back recovery. Doing this in the middle of the run would be quite unusual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

There are split opinions on this some coaches feel that in the run can help stimulate the legs to replicate race tiredness at the end however my personal opinion is that these should be done at the end of a run. i think 10 maybe too much though as you are trying to increase leg turn over so this is not about getting an extra session in it will only leave you tired. I think 6 is plenty enough and these are more strides than sprints just to get the legs running slightly quicker while not exhausting yourself. hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

ecoli wrote: »
    There are split opinions on this some coaches feel that in the run can help stimulate the legs to replicate race tiredness at the end however my personal opinion is that these should be done at the end of a run. i think 10 maybe too much though as you are trying to increase leg turn over so this is not about getting an extra session in it will only leave you tired. I think 6 is plenty enough and these are more strides than sprints just to get the legs running slightly quicker while not exhausting yourself. hope this helps

If Devil Takes The Hindmost ever took off we would see slightly different training plans with a requirement for sprints mid run:D

Imagine a DTTH in a city marathon. The last 1000 at 10, 15, 20 miles would get the chop, that would be a laugh and some carnage:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Tingle wrote: »
    If Devil Takes The Hindmost ever took off we would see slightly different training plans with a requirement for sprints mid run:D

Imagine a DTTH in a city marathon. The last 1000 at 10, 15, 20 miles would get the chop, that would be a laugh and some carnage:D

Haha shhhh.... keep that quiet you wouldnt wanna give any organisers ideas :eek:god could you imagine would be a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭tergat

Hi guys,
    village idiot type question here.

Looking at the Advanced Marathoning training plan and the first run is
    7 mi w/10 x 100m

Now obviously this means running 10 x 100m sprints in teh middle of the run.
    When do you run it?
    What's the recovery in between?

Am I correct in my assumptions?

Thanks

HardyEustace,

Running the STRIDES at the end of a run is perfectly fine (100m stride/60-90 secs easy jog) but the key is to keep them relaxed and jog at least 60 secs before you start the next one. You are trying to work the FAST TWITCH fibres and focus on relaxed running form when doing strides. DO NOT sprint these and give yourself enough recovery in between strides as you do not want to build acidosis in the muscles.

If it is the first time you are doing strides in the plan start with 4 of them and build to 6-8 of them over 2-3 weeks. Thats plenty as Ecoli already advised.

Tergat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

tergat wrote: »
    Running the STRIDES at the end of a run is perfectly fine
    Hi Tergat, is it also perfectly fine to do them during the run? This is the approach I was taking last time around. Essentially around once a mile I would make sure my form was correct, and pick up the pace for 100m or around 20 seconds, before dropping back to aerobic pace again. I have an 8 mile run tomorrow with 10x strides, so was planning on doing these during the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭tergat

Hi Tergat, is it also perfectly fine to do them during the run? This is the approach I was taking last time around. Essentially around once a mile I would make sure my form was correct, and pick up the pace for 100m or around 20 seconds, before dropping back to aerobic pace again. I have an 8 mile run tomorrow with 10x strides, so was planning on doing these during the run.

Krusty_Clown,

Absolutely no problem doing that. During the base phase I often give my runners an easy 40-60 min run with 8-12*30 secs with 2 mins jog recovery. Again it gets them used to running a bit quicker and there is no lactate build up, due to the long recovery and the relaxed pace of the efforts.

Tergat

Advertisement