Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Training

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭geo1212

gilly2308 wrote: »
    I have just completed my 40 hours training, and my biggest complaint as well would be that we haven't been given public order. I mostly work Friday or Saturday nights when nearly everything you deal with is public order, so you would hope its something we will get down the line. I can imagine that to keep the GRA happy, that the Gardai had to keep our powers to a bare minimum, but hopefully once people have worked for a year or more in the job, that they will get the likes of public order. I'm sure there are very few reservists who joined this just so they could arrest people, but at the end of the day you don't want to be embarassing yourself, having to let people off, since you haven't the power to arrest them for clear breaches of the peace.

Hold your horses there gilly, the rest will come, I dont think the Gra have much of a say in what powers are agreed etc, your full time member can make the arrest if they deem it necessary anyway.
    Hav'nt met that many Guards that give a **** about what the Gra think about things in any case, but it has to be remembered that by the very nature of the organisation the Gra has to look out for its members concerns whatever they may be

bobbydub wrote: »
    Just a note to all those thinking of joining the reserve. I have been active now for a year and must say that it has been great. Both the experience and support from the full time members has been a great encouragement.
    Initially I was very concerned about the overall view of both the GRA and the members in stations. I must say that the past twelve months has been good with a good level of support from all those I have worked with to date.
    The work has been varied and colorful if nothing else. I would encourage more to apply. Just on a final note this site is a great idea for all those both in training and in service, there is a need for a support network to offer both advice and encouragement to all those in the service.

Best Wishes,

Bobby

Hey bobby,

you DMR ?

freddiew wrote: »
    When do the 208 hours start from?

We have been told that all training hours for all phases are to be included in the calculation, not sure if that will change at a later date though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

Hi Gilly, I'am about to start P4 and was just wondering what hours you worked ? ie. 10pm - 2am ??

I would normally work from 22:00 - 04:00, a few times I finished at 2am, but all the fun only really starts when the night clubs start chucking out at 3am!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭iandromiskin

gilly2308 wrote: »
    although in saying that there was a bloke from Donegal in my class who had to stay in a hotel the night before the Phase 1 and Phase 3 courses. Anyway he was told to e-mail the Garda Reserve office in HQ about claiming this back, but I have no idea how he got on with this.

A few of the guys in my group stayed overnight to before P1 and 3, but never really thought we'd be able to claim it back. We just took it as one of those things. I'd be curious to know how the Donegal fella gets on.

Thanks too for your note on times. I'll probably do the same, but I don't think the sergeant is keen for me to work currently beyond 2am.

• Advertisement

Pat I hear the epaulets are been sourced??
    Maybe you should ring Divisionsal headquarters to confirm that your lot are included.

It is the responsibility of your liaison Sergeant or Inspector to order your epaulets from Santry once you have graduated or just before. I am due to graduate on the 13th of next month, so I questioned this with Garda College, and that is exactly what they told me, although going on my liaison Sergeant's previous form, I would say I will be lucky if I get them before next Easter, never mind within the next few weeks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pat1187

Those two Garda injured Thursday,its said one of them was of Chinese nationality,Is it Ke Sheng,one of the first reservists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

pat1187 wrote: »
    Those two Garda injured Thursday,its said one of them was of Chinese nationality,Is it Ke Sheng,one of the first reservists?

There's Chinese full-time students as well.

Edited to add: breakingnews.ie gives the names of the Gardai as Garda Amanda Lynch and Student Garda Zihao Weng.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bobbydub

Hi Geo 1212,
    I am DMR South.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 John_Dublin

Hey, any others that completed P1 1st & 2nd Dec about? Would be nice to keep in touch to gauge progress etc.

John

• Advertisement

Hi Geo 1212,
    I am DMR South.

I think we have met!, we you on the first intake?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Dee5

Hiya anyone here in Dublin that has been attested or is in training?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭colliegG

Dee5 wrote: »
    Hiya anyone here in Dublin that has been attested or is in training?

Hi Dee, I've just started phase two training in the DMR south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭colliegG

Anybody getting any sort of time off etc from their full time job in connection with the reserve?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 rooger

Hi Geo 1212,
    I am DMR South.

Is that u bobbydub??;)

does anyone know anything about the one day Seminar for attested reservists on Jan. 19? I am wondering if is aimed at those with some months experience or aimed at everyone?

does anyone know anything about the one day Seminar for attested reservists on Jan. 19? I am wondering if is aimed at those with some months experience or aimed at everyone?

As far as we have been told, it is for all Attested Reservists, we were told we would get an e-mail about the content of the meeting in due course. As yet I hav'nt had the e-mail.

geo1212 wrote: »
    As far as we have been told, it is for all Attested Reservists, we were told we would get an e-mail about the content of the meeting in due course. As yet I hav'nt had the e-mail.

Good, it will be nice to know just how committed the upper echelons are about the reserve idea.Sometimes you just wonder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 alpha1

Hi all
    I am a reserve member serving in the South East with 6 mths service.I got a letter
    last week re the Seminar.It includes an address by the Commissioner and other senior officers eg HR,training etc.I hope its all giong well for you.Look and learn,ask questions
    and build relationships .

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

As always a bit hap hazard some of our guys received notification and others didn't.I still think it is worth going to though.

• Advertisement

As always a bit hap hazard some of our guys received notification and others didn't.I still think it is worth going to though.

Got post this morning, its all set out, so we all should get notification over the next couple of days. Its an all day thing, looks interesting enough though.

geo1212 wrote: »
    As far as we have been told, it is for all Attested Reservists, we were told we would get an e-mail about the content of the meeting in due course. As yet I hav'nt had the e-mail.[/QUOTE

Good, it will be nice to know just how committed the upper echelons are about the reserve idea.Sometimes you just wonder.

I attested last Thursday along with 45 others, it was a great day all round, and fair play to the Gardai, they put on an excellent day for all of us. Most of the top brass were there including the new commissioner, and you would have to say having listened to Commissioner Murphy, that both he and the Gardai are fully behind the concept of a reserve force. Now while he was highly unlikely to come out at our graduation and state that he didn't support the idea of a reserve force, I definitely felt more comfortable having listened to his speech, and Minister O' Dea who stood in for Brian Lenihan, stated that it was his government's intention to have the reserve force at 10% of the full time force by 2012. Now while the government could get rid of the reserve force overnight if they so wished, why would they bother when it costs them little or nothing (apart from training) and unless some reserve members completely screw up, there is no reason for them not to support the idea. Finally while I know I only attested last Thursday, I hadn't heard anything about this seminar, when and where is it on?

Hi Gilly,

Congratulations. Have sent you a pm with details

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

@ Gilly, congrats on your graduation!:cool:

I'm struggling through the GR2 here, over 40 dob's to get:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Announcement

Can I ask if any of the users with numbers in their names are using their official numbers?
    If so it makes you very easy to identify.

If you have done so in error without realising the implications, drop me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

Hagar wrote: »
    Announcement

Can I ask if any of the users with numbers in their names are using their official numbers?
    If so it makes you very easy to identify.

If you have done so in error without realising the implications, drop me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

Nope not me anyhow!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Guys just a quick heads up. Ye might want to be careful about giving details about upcoming courses /seminars etc. These constitute operational details, and may be better communicated among yerselves by PM or email.

Remember that as well as the public, senior officers can and will read posts here.

civdef wrote: »
    Guys just a quick heads up. Ye might want to be careful about giving details about upcoming courses /seminars etc. These constitute operational details, and may be better communicated among yerselves by PM or email.

Remember that as well as the public, senior officers can and will read posts here.

Fair point, as I know from talking to one of the training Sergeants at the graduation last Thursday that he reads these posts, so lets watch what were posting!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

My number 1187 was my first telephone number (U.S.) in case anyone's wondering.
    It was a genuine issue.
    One poster in Military used his Army number Pte*******.
    He was a sitting duck.
    I just wanted to give people a heads up for their own sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

lehanmore
    As I said in another post,don't hesitate to go to your local health board clinic or whomever deals with Birth Certs and ask them for help as its all computerized now.

Thanks Pat, I've only two to get and I'm done.

anyone know how long they allow you to complete the GR2?

Advertisement