Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Training

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

Was just wondering how many of the group who passed out on Oct 20th have got their Epaulets ??? I know lots who don't have them nor do they know when they will get them.From my understanding we can't go out without them.I know a reservist who passed out months ago who still only has an embroidered GR on his Epaulet with no numbers.Maybe Geo could shed some light on this from his experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭wonka

passed out on the 20th of October. Did my first 4 hours since then last friday and my epaulets were waiting for me at the station. Didn't get any book listing the exact powers, and am still waiting for pulse training. Sargent told me that the 40 hours we did as part of the training actually counts for the 208 in the year. Not so sure about that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭iandromiskin

wonka wrote: »
    Sargent told me that the 40 hours we did as part of the training actually counts for the 208 in the year. Not so sure about that....

I heard that too. Also as I will be doing P4 in Dec but not attesting till March, so I was told that any hours I do in 08 may also qualify to the total 208 per year quota. That of course remains to be clarified.

geo1212 wrote: »
    Hi Baton, we were issued with shoulder numbers when we passed out, not entirely sure what the story is if you dont have numbers, thats a new one.

Thanks Geo,
    We passed out in Oct but received no epaulets in our Division even though we witnessed some receive them.Some were told our stations would receive them but nothing to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Dee5

So how is everyone getting on? Anyone due to pass out before Xmas?
    Anyone any update on anything in general?

Dee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

Gardaí to get US-style metal batons
    01/11/2007 - 16:47:34

Gardaí are currently being trained to use 21 inch metal batons which should be available to officers on the streets during the busy Christmas and New Year period.

The equipment, which replaces the old style wooden truncheon, is now standard issue for modern police forces across the world.

Members of the Garda Representative Association (GRA) and the Association of Garda Sergeants and Inspectors (AGSI) are taking part in one-day training courses in the US-made ASP baton.

GRA president John Egan said: “Officers are being trained in all aspects of using the baton by the manufacturers. They must reach a required standard of competency or else they will go back for further training.

“It is lightweight enough to carry and offers increased personal protection for officers in potentially dangerous situations.”

The ASP baton measures 7.5 inches in its closed state but can extend telescopically to around 21 inches with the flick of a wrist.

Its neat design ensures it doesn’t get in the way during a foot pursuit or when getting in and out of a patrol car.

Advertisement
    A weighted metal ball is attached to the end of the striking end of the baton.

In riot situations, the baton can deliver a sharp blow to the leg or arm of a rioter to momentarily incapacitate him while the officer makes an arrest.

The new equipment will complement the anti-stab vests issued to all officers on the beat earlier this year.

Last month the AGSI requested that Garda management provide training in the use of the batons.

The current AGSI newsletter sent to members says: “Garda management has replied to correspondence on this issue to say that the manufacturers of the baton had no difficulty with a one-day training course in its use.

“Management stated that the course includes verbalisation. Feedback from the evaluation forms is generally positive.

“If members do not reach the required standard, they will be reverted for further development at a later stage.”

The GRA is also calling for pepper spray to be supplied to its members but the Garda Commissioner has not yet decided to introduce defensive sprays to the force.

This year’s GRA conference heard calls for the introduction of the ASP baton as well as bullet-proof vests.

During P1 we were told that the ASP was being introduced but that we wouldn't be issued with it for a while due to the length of time it takes to train on it, so we're being trained on the wooden baton in P3.

That would also explain why my trainer couldn't conduct my P2 class this week. She must be being issued with the new baton ?

Just to clarify - a half sheet is a standard A4 piece of paper folded in half ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭geo1212

During P1 we were told that the ASP was being introduced but that we wouldn't be issued with it for a while due to the length of time it takes to train on it, so we're being trained on the wooden baton in P3.

That would also explain why my trainer couldn't conduct my P2 class this week. She must be being issued with the new baton ?

Just to clarify - a half sheet is a standard A4 piece of paper folded in half ?

Yep, we were told the same, the asp will follow when the Regulars have finished training, same with the vests when they were first issued.

That was a bad business with that lad getting hit with the firework Ian, thats you part of the country is'nt it.

That was a bad business with that lad getting hit with the firework Ian, thats you part of the country is'nt it.

It was indeed. Lad was just walking home, car pulls up and banger thrown at him. Lucky he wasn't blinded. Oddly on the way home a load of kids were throwing bangers under cars as they drove by in Dunleer up the road, but thats no comparison. They are apparantly checking CCTV from local business to see if they can get a reg.

For those of you who were asking. In the Garda Reserve, Information for Employers Booklet No 10. it says "The Garda Siochana Compensation Acts apply for Reserve members as it would for members of the full-time service.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know when the next group are passing out?

Does anyone know when the next group are passing out?

4 groups passing out in March then its June September & December, 4 a year from here on in.

freddiew wrote: »
    4 groups passing out in March then its June September & December, 4 a year from here on in.

Is'nt there a group still to pass out in december sometime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭colliegG

Did anyone use the train going to Templemore. I've been looking up the Iarnroid Eireann website and there doesn't seem to be a service on a saturday until 10 or thereabouts. Didn't want to drive if I didn't had to. Only got a provisinal licence.

I'am about to go on Phase 4. Does anyone have any words of advice ? Obviously watch, listen, learn and be safe, but any other advice ? :confused:

I'am about to go on Phase 4. Does anyone have any words of advice ? Obviously watch, listen, learn and be safe, but any other advice ? :confused:

Sent you a pm.

Sorry everyone, I feel like I'm on this the whole time asking stupid questions but I've no information from the Garda other than I've to be at the college at 9.00 on Saturday. They're to send an email to me but I'm gonna be finished work this evening so I prob won't get it. Anyway could someone here help me out because frankly I don't have a clue what I'll need, what to expect etc. I'll be coming down from Dublin but will I have time to drive on Saturday or what. As I said sorry again but I'm half tempted at this stage to just leave it.

Don't leave it cos you will only regret it later.Bring some comfortable clothing Track suit or whatever as this will be what you will have on most of the time.You will do some basic self defence and attend some introductory lectures on ethos of the gardai,Human rights etc.Oh yeah bring an overnight bag and swimming trunks if you wish to use the Hotel leisure facilities.Just enjoy it.I guarantee you will be glad you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Dee5

ColliegG

Did you ask them if they are providing transport down?

No Dee I haven't heard anything from them except a phone call telling me when to be there. There was supposed to be an email with details on Monday but it never came. It was then changed till thursday or friday which wud be fine if I was gonna be in work because they email me here but I won't be so not gonna know anything!! Do they usually provide transport? I'm afraid I know nothing except what Baton told me. Thanks btw.

• Advertisement

Don't leave it cos you will only regret it later. Just enjoy it.I guarantee you will be glad you did.
    Absolutely, if you can make it, do. You will genuinely be wondering what you missed if you do miss it. As has been said you arrive on Saturday and check in so to speak. Make sure you bring your drivers licence or passport (it must have a photo) to identify yourself when you give your name to the Garda. You will then be brought to the canteen area at the back, where you will spend most of your time, before getting introductory lectures on the history or the Garda, ethics, use of force, human rights etc. You also have some talks in perception and a bit of role play too.

Bring a track suit and trainers as you will be getting a few hours of introductory self defence (take Monday off if you can to recover as you will have aches and pains !!!!). You will be given dinner and tea on the saturday before getting a bus to the hotel. DON'T get drunk on Saturday night !!!!!!!!!! - you will be falling to the floor in arm locks etc on the Sunday, so be warned. At the end of the weekend you'll be told where your training station is for P2 and given some books for that phase. Also, make sure you are on time, very important, and if you can't make it ring them and let them know, don't just assume they'll figure it out if your not there. One guy in our group just didn't bother turning up and never let them know, and they were rightly peevedoff.

As we say, do try and make it and enjoy. You will learn a lot. Not sure if they provide transport, but if you need a lift maybe someone here is heading down and could do with the company ? I always travelled down the night before and stayed in a hotel in Roscrea as the drive on Saturday morning can be tiring. Have fun and let us know how you get on.

Oh yes, another thing for anyone driving down this weekend. When you get to Templemore from Dublin, you turn left at the Town Hall - the medieval looking thing in the middle of Templemore - the college is signposted. Turn left, keep going straight, then turn immediately right after the AIB (you'll see a spar or similar shop on the left at the junction) otherwise you'll find yourselves at the train station and keep driving straight on over the hump back bridge, and you'll see the gates of the College straight ahead.

It's not that I'd just not bother going, I wasn't sure if I'd be able to!! I'm really looking forward to it but it'd be better if I knew the arrangements down there. Which I do, kinda, so thanks, it's appreciated!! I'll probably drive down on Friday and then play it by ear.

colliegG wrote: »
    It's not that I'd just not bother going, I wasn't sure if I'd be able to!! I'm really looking forward to it but it'd be better if I knew the arrangements down there. Which I do, kinda, so thanks, it's appreciated!! I'll probably drive down on Friday and then play it by ear.

Sorry, we didn't mean to offend :( If you can't make it due to circumstance you could defer it till the next P1, which will probably be January ?? If your unsure about anything over arrangements, just ring them up and ask them, explaining that you are not at your desk and can't get to your email, and they'll explain it all to you on the phone.

If its any help I stayed in Grants hotel in Roscrea which wasn't too bad, about 55 euro for a single room. Templemore is about 15 minutes away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

I have just completed my 40 hours training, and my biggest complaint as well would be that we haven't been given public order. I mostly work Friday or Saturday nights when nearly everything you deal with is public order, so you would hope its something we will get down the line. I can imagine that to keep the GRA happy, that the Gardai had to keep our powers to a bare minimum, but hopefully once people have worked for a year or more in the job, that they will get the likes of public order. I'm sure there are very few reservists who joined this just so they could arrest people, but at the end of the day you don't want to be embarassing yourself, having to let people off, since you haven't the power to arrest them for clear breaches of the peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bobbydub

Just a note to all those thinking of joining the reserve. I have been active now for a year and must say that it has been great. Both the experience and support from the full time members has been a great encouragement.
    Initially I was very concerned about the overall view of both the GRA and the members in stations. I must say that the past twelve months has been good with a good level of support from all those I have worked with to date.
    The work has been varied and colorful if nothing else. I would encourage more to apply. Just on a final note this site is a great idea for all those both in training and in service, there is a need for a support network to offer both advice and encouragement to all those in the service.

Best Wishes,

Bobby

gilly2308 wrote: »
    I have just completed my 40 hours training

Hi Gilly, I'am about to start P4 and was just wondering what hours you worked ? ie. 10pm - 2am ??

Sorry, we didn't mean to offend If you can't make it due to circumstance you could defer it till the next P1

No, not at all Ian. I took no offence. Really appreciated it. You gave me a quicker reply that I got from the reserve office. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 in control

bobbydub wrote: »
    Just a note to all those thinking of joining the reserve. I have been active now for a year and must say that it has been great. Both the experience and support from the full time members has been a great encouragement.
    Initially I was very concerned about the overall view of both the GRA and the members in stations. I must say that the past twelve months has been good with a good level of support from all those I have worked with to date.
    The work has been varied and colorful if nothing else. I would encourage more to apply. Just on a final note this site is a great idea for all those both in training and in service, there is a need for a support network to offer both advice and encouragement to all those in the service.

Best Wishes,

Bobby
    Well done . It is good to hear you are doing well. As a matter of interest have you been assessed at any stage . I am in the group behind you with at least 208 hours done and nobody has said a word about assessment . Any news on when we get the allowance for the years work ?

• Advertisement

in control wrote: »
    Well done . It is good to hear you are doing well. As a matter of interest have you been assessed at any stage . I am in the group behind you with at least 208 hours done and nobody has said a word about assessment . Any news on when we get the allowance for the years work ?

When do the 208 hours start from?

Advertisement