Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Training

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

Thanks for posting that leinsterdude ;) good to hear.

Does anyone know when they are doing your background checks do they check with revenue to see were you working where you say you were ?
    I was working the summers while I was on school holidays of 05 and 06 with a bus company and I don't think I was registered as an official employee so I don't want to get anyone into bother over it if I put that down in the section on the GR2 form where you're asked about any employment etc.
    Also I was away for 2 months the summer just gone would they ask for any proof or the likes to see was I ? (I know it sounds stupid :rolleyes: but you never know with the Gards)

Any replies greatly appreciated ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Mad jesty

Hi all,
    Had my phase one training at the weekend,just posting this to anyone thinking of applying,have to say very well run,the training was excellent,the staff in Templemore are very nice,friendly and professional,all in all a very positive experience,so if you are thinking of going for the reserve Gardai you should not hesitate,Im a bit sore now though from the physical end but thats my own fault for being too unfit,looking forward to the next few months now.:)

Hello leinsterdude,
    I was there the weekend also, and I must agree the staff are excellent in Templemore,
    it was very well run,
    I found I learned so much over the two days, everything ''sank in'' straight away so to speak.
    I honestly loved every minute of it , loved the self defence, although I am stiff and sore today, moving about a bit slow, likewise that's my own fault I should be a lot fitter and plan to work hard on that before the next weekend.
    I'm looking forward to the next few weeks training at my local station, don't know when I start yet, I shall be ringing my Sgt. tomorrow as instructed, when I ''come down from the high of the Templemore experience''
    Best of luck to you & everyone else with your training,
    and to anyone out there considering applying,
    Go for it you won't regret, you have nothing to loose from the experience, and even if you quit after the first training weekend (unlikey but it could happen) you will even at that stage have gained a wealth of knowledge that you can use in your day to day life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

could the people who are currently training tell me what it involves. ive established that u go for a weekend to templemore but im confused after that. what happens then.

is it u are taught in your local station???

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Yes Paul you must go to your local garda station for 2-3 nights per week for 3hr classes untill you reach 56 hrs training, if im right there is then an exam @ the end...... Hope i helped...... What stage are you @ now?? :o

Ok thanks paul..... Musy you wear a suit for that interview aswell? Aftr that whats next?? Li ke i said im really worried abouth the Gr2!!
    hi tommy. your posts are kinda hard to read.

i think ill wear a suit if im called for an interview with the sergeant. the guys in the other thread recommend u do when u go for the full time guards.

when hq e-mail your form back. then u drop it down to the station and im afraid its just a waiting game from then on. alot of it depends on how many relations u have and where they are.
    i wouldnt worry too much about your brother been in trouble, they will probably question u on it, but id be suprised if it went against u.

congrads on passing your interview

• Advertisement

Sorry you said that in june there taking in more, is june the date that they re starting the training? If so does anyone know whtat date?? Because im not 18 untill the 21st of June..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

Sorry you said that in june there taking in more, is june the date that they re starting the training? If so does anyone know whtat date?? Because im not 18 untill the 21st of June..............

June, i believe is the next induction date set for templemore phase one..
    They do three every year.. March was the first one, june, the second, and a date to be decided yet the third... As i said before, What's for you won't pass you.... Relax, and stay in there, it will happen in time... also, it's voluntary... they want you as much as you want this...

• Registered Users Posts: 30 wetgarden

paul666 wrote: »
    could the people who are currently training tell me what it involves. ive established that u go for a weekend to templemore but im confused after that. what happens then.

is it u are taught in your local station???

Paul666,

http://www.publicjobs.ie/cand/default.asp?JobID=1811&hdnJobID=1104&hdndest=JOBDETAILS&hdnLang=&hdnSource=HOME&hdnmode=VIEW&hdnauth=admin&hdnGUID=

If you go to the link above and click on notes for "Garda Reserve" it will tell you what the training involves in the various different phases.

I have been selected to join the force but have not gone into templemore yet. I'm 32 and from Galway. I have been asked to go ,but due to work constraints, I have'nt gone in yet. This is not a problem as it is voluntary (you will receive expenses of about €1000 at the end of the year for court appearances etc.)

It is there designed to work around your working hours and once you have been successful, your application is kept on file until you tell the garda headquarters you are no longer available and to cancel your aplication, if you so wish! Hope this helps

I've read up fairly well on this so if anyone has any questions, I may be able to help them but no guarantees!!:D

Phase Two – 56 hours of training, the components of this phase are to
    include training in the laws relating to -
    i. assault,

road traffic offences,

powers of arrest, and

arrestable offences,

HI wetgarden thanks for the response.what im wondering is where do u get phase 2 training?

Paull666,

I would imagine phase II and III are both in templemore and the final phase out in a grada station.

Looking at the prospectus for phase II, this appears to be classroom training i.e. powers of arrest, road traffic offences so I would imagine they are held inTemplemore.

Hope this answers your question.

• Advertisement

Mad jesty wrote: »
    Hello leinsterdude,
    I was there the weekend also, and I must agree the staff are excellent in Templemore,
    it was very well run,
    I found I learned so much over the two days, everything ''sank in'' straight away so to speak.
    I honestly loved every minute of it , loved the self defence, although I am stiff and sore today, moving about a bit slow, likewise that's my own fault I should be a lot fitter and plan to work hard on that before the next weekend.
    I'm looking forward to the next few weeks training at my local station, don't know when I start yet, I shall be ringing my Sgt. tomorrow as instructed, when I ''come down from the high of the Templemore experience''
    Best of luck to you & everyone else with your training,
    and to anyone out there considering applying,
    Go for it you won't regret, you have nothing to loose from the experience, and even if you quit after the first training weekend (unlikey but it could happen) you will even at that stage have gained a wealth of knowledge that you can use in your day to day life.
    I dont think thats true wet garden. if u read the post i highlighted i think it seems to be done in your local station.
    how does it work. does the sergeant give u one on one training. im confused by the phase 2 training and how its implemented

I am currently participating in Phase II training, that takes place in your local station. Over a period of 9 weeks approx. The hours you train are rostered to accomodate you and any other Reserve trainees in the best possible way, this is done in a classroom setting.
    With YOUR training station, it could be one to one, if you are the only Reserve Trainee in your area.
    Please feel free to ask any questions I am happy to help if I can

Mad jesty wrote: »
    I am currently participating in Phase II training, that takes place in your local station. Over a period of 9 weeks approx. The hours you train are rostered to accomodate you and any other Reserve trainees in the best possible way, this is done in a classroom setting.
    With YOUR training station, it could be one to one, if you are the only Reserve Trainee in your area.
    Please feel free to ask any questions I am happy to help if I can
    Ahh i see.
    how long is one classroom sitting? and how many times a week do u go? and do they happen at nights? is it a station garda that teaches u ie a sergeant? sorry for all the questions

Sorry about my info being wrong Paul. Mad Jesty seems to know as he is already in training. I'm also interested in what he has to say as I have not gone in yet.

Wetgarden.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭tucker1971

To anyone that has completed phase 3, I was just wondering how much does it differ from phase 1?
    Ok I know handcuff and baton techniques are taught, but is there are many more self-defence or is there just a review of what was learned in phase 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

A few more moves and you are tested on it and more Role Play than in Phase 1. When are you going down for Phase 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭tucker1971

freddiew wrote: »
    A few more moves and you are tested on it and more Role Play than in Phase 1. When are you going down for Phase 3?

Going back down on the 10th and 11th May. I was also wondering are on uniforms sent on to our station or do we bring them when we leave templemore? If thats the case I may bring an extra bag!

We get the uniforms first thing Saturday morning and you get a Garda Bag with them. I have to go back down as I had to come away early last time and didn't do the Sunday. Are you from Dublin? let me know and maybe meet up or private mail each other

Tucker who advised you about 10th & 11th May?

Ok I'll try to answer all questions
    First, my first few classroom sessions were for three hours each, my next two sessions are six hours each, with my training sergeant. The amount of sessions per week is two to four, that lads, depends both on how busy the sergeant and you are, they have a lot to do so they have to try to fit you in just as much as you have to try to fit the training in around your working hours, I must say they are very accomodating, but it is up to you to make the effort, and get your 56 hours done.

secondly, they are in the evening and during the day at the weekend, but this is only a guide, as this is what suits both myself, my fellow trainee and the training sergeant.

Thirdly, I'm only in stage II so I have had little contact with the full time force, but the contact I have had has only been positive, of course my training sergeant is great, very friendly, open, and helpfull, and the classroom sessions are relaxed enough so you can freely ask questions at any stage, we have met with the Inspector and the Superintendent when we commenced stage II, and they were both very welcoming and thankfull to us, for joining the reserve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

freddiew wrote: »
    So how did you get on at weekend, I presume you will be going down again 10/11th May? I will be going down as well. Are you from Dublin?
    All went well,yes back in may,not dublin,Im kildare,as are a few,there was alot fromfrom Dublin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

nice bit on the GR last night, they're looking for more applications.

Yea saw that last night, was very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 iceman_kill

Hi guys

I understand that phase 2 training is done in a local station. I'm from a small town way up in the north west so would I have to go to a larger station in a bigger town for phase 2?

Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Hi,more than likely to a larger town,unless your lucky.But would say large town.

It depends on whether or not your local station is a training station if not you may have to travel, my guess is you may have to go to nearest larger town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Centauro

Folks,
    I just surfed in here today, and have found some very interesting reading! I'm a "Constable, Part Time" in the P.S.N.I. and formerly served as a Reserve Con. in the R.U.C. (22 years in total) I was only vaguely aware of the Garda Reserve, is there somewhere I can read up about it without asking a lot of daft questions? Are you paid? what sort of hours do you work? etc....I just can't face 54 pages of posts:)

Centauro wrote: »
    Folks,
    I just surfed in here today, and have found some very interesting reading! I'm a "Constable, Part Time" in the P.S.N.I. and formerly served as a Reserve Con. in the R.U.C. (22 years in total) I was only vaguely aware of the Garda Reserve, is there somewhere I can read up about it without asking a lot of daft questions? Are you paid? what sort of hours do you work? etc....I just can't face 54 pages of posts:)

Try www.garda.ie theres some information on there............

Centauro wrote: »
    Folks,

there's some good info on the Dept. of Justice website, open the link and then the pdf.

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Garda_reserve_booklet

• Advertisement

Advertisement