Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession kills off SPICE BURGER

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

emmetmcl wrote: »
    What is a spice burger?
    Really? Don't see any clues in the name or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

why cant some other company make them? are they patented or something? its a burger ffs they cant be the only company making them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

why cant some other company make them? are they patented or something? its a burger ffs they cant be the only company making them

The receipe actually is patented, so another company can't just make them without paying for the right to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

does this mean there's no more spice burgers? only the one company makes them? :eek:

from the OP
    The company patented its recipe for spice burgers, but the product’s popularity never really expanded beyond Ireland. It remained the only producer, so future supplies may depend on the ability of a receiver to find new interests to take over the business.

• Advertisement

oh my. I'm feeling a bit distraught. but I do feel blessed that I got experience the spice buger whilst people in other countries did not. I feel blessed and distraught

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

The Walsh family own the patent on the spice burger so noone else makes them, they will probably sell it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

What the fcuk is a spiceburger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Ivona Tinkle

What the fcuk is a spiceburger?

Its the most beautiful food that melts in the mouth delicious delicacy that delightfully tickled the senses

I can never wait to grill them an eat them cold yum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Spice burger from local chipper soaked in salt and vinegar - check
    Fresh loaf of batch bread - check
    Butter - check
    Bottle of ketchup - check
    2 litre bottle of TK minerals - check

This is gonna be awesome, one last time

• Advertisement

orestes wrote: »
    Butter - check

I think someone whould bring spice Burgers to the AH drinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Kaldorn

reading all that has made me want one soo much i am going to buy a pack on the way home..stock up folks before they are gone forever...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Butter - check

Serverly clogged Arteries - Check :)

I cant wait to try one later

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Is it just a burger with added spices? Add your own damn spices :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Hie thee hence to the nearest chipper and purge yourself of your ignorance immediately!

Just a burger with spices??? Pshaw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

RIP spiceburger :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I had never heard of a spice burger until this morning!
    Have you never set foot in a chipper before? seriously?
    Can't believe so many people have never tried them.
    Yeah, I thought everybody had at least heard of them. I remember a mate of mine saying he never tasted one and our jaws dropping. They are in almost every chipper I have seen, just like batter burgers. I asked my mate if he had ever had a batter burger, and he was saying "of course I have!" :confused: been going to chippers and never once thought to try one but was laughing at the idea of never having a batter burger
    Draupnir wrote: »
    All across Ireland there are vegaratians with stomach cramps brought on by the realisation that there was beef in every spice burger they have mistakenly consumed. Anyone else find that hilarious?
    I know a proclaimed veggie who still ate them after I informed him. I figure he knew all along.
    Degsy wrote: »
    All may not be lost..i definatly remember some butchers doing an alternative version of the spice burger..it didnt taste exactly the same but there was a lot more meat in it.
    I thought the butchers bought them in bulk and sold them on, since any I saw looked identical. But a FOAF was saying he worked in a butchers and made them with mince and powdered stuff. He said they tried to make them look the same which is quite worrying, since they did not cook them, so I expect some people might have been eating his ones raw. (walshes were fully cooked.)
    But what are the spices? I asked ages ago.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055380640
    Bang goes my plan to use them to stuff the christmas turkey. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Ivona Tinkle

No it is just not the same :mad:
    Butter - check

TK make sure its red lemonade

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

rubadub wrote: »

But what are the spices? I asked ages ago.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055380640

I'd say ask the chipper to see where they get them from and email the company. If they get them ina package it will probably have the ingredients. It's like me with hash browns at work(5 billion times better than any other only I've tried, roughly), I had to go to the kitchen, they wouldn't let staff in, so I got a girl to go into the freezer to check the bag to see what the brand were. I checked up on the company, they didn't sell them in shops so I started to get them from work frozen. Ingredients right on the box, so I tried to make them myself. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'd say ask the chipper to see where they get them from and email the company. If they get them ina package it will probably have the ingredients. It's like me with hash browns at work(5 billion times better than any other only I've tried, roughly), I had to go to the kitchen, they wouldn't let staff in, so I got a girl to go into the freezer to check the bag to see what the brand were. I checked up on the company, they didn't sell them in shops so I started to get them from work frozen. Ingredients right on the box, so I tried to make them myself. ;)

Ingredients: Potatoes.

• Advertisement

wait there's meat in it? no there isn't my granny said there isn't! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

TK make sure its red lemonade

Of course, that goes without saying

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I'd say ask the chipper to see where they get them from and email the company. If they get them ina package it will probably have the ingredients.
    The chippers are all walshes that I ever got, some even had walshes posters up. The ingredients are vague, IIRC beef, breadcrumbs, onions, "herbs & spices", I always read labels. They have a VERY distinct smell, I remember my mother banned my father from getting them! we had secret ones in sealed tubs to hide the smell.

Since it is patented I expect they want it secret, or since it is patented would it have to be disclosed somewhere?? I expect not or coke and other "secret" recipies would be known.

Does anybody remember walshes curry burgers? they were thinner but wider than spice burgers, same sort of mixture but curry flavoured too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I remember a mate of mine saying he never tasted one and our jaws dropping.
    That's nothing, one of my mates only had a sausage in batter for the first time a year ago. He's 37 and goes to chippers regularly enough
    You're a GENIUS!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Katarn1 wrote: »
    its a shame!

As one of the 50 (more like 70 if you were to take the contractors into your reckoning) who've lost their jobs I'd have to agree to an extent.

It's a literal warzone on those food aisles and there can only be victors or vanquished.

they were the type of food i never wanted to know the contents of but they quick and easy!

Actually they were pretty innocuous in the ingredients department - although they did contain animal fat (without which, beef is pretty flavourless substance - think of uber- lo-fat McDonalds burgers)

15 years in the food industry means there are whole categories of product on the shelves I wouldn't think of touching but even after years of producing them, I'd still find time to have an occasional spiceburger - "fresh from the production line".

I wouldn't worry too much about them disappearing for good. They were a very profitable product so they'll be snapped up by one or other food company when the receiver gets around to selling off the companies assets.

The Spice Burger is dead ... long live the Spice Burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Does anybody remember walshes curry burgers? they were thinner but wider than spice burgers, same sort of mixture but curry flavoured too.

If I recall correctly, there being talk of a veggie spice burger but it was figured that veggies already thought the Spice Burger was meat-free - so sales could only drop off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭navin.r.johnson

Upon the heath there lay a maiden; a spice burger in both hands....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

All the trouble in tehran latelty ,we were bound to see trouble in the burger industry.

Especially the "Spicey" variety :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Well this recession lark is really starting to effect me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

FFS, if the recession had any upside it was meant to increase the poularity of cheap, cheerful and delicious treats such as the spiceburger, and not kill them off :mad:

Does anybody remember they used to give out free rubber erasers for school in packs of spice burgers in the early 90's? They smelt like spiceburgers too!

Advertisement