Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession kills off SPICE BURGER

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Can't believe so many people have never tried them.

Maybe we will get a chance to taste them, if the receiver can find someone to take over the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭cianl1

Insurgent wrote: »
    Beans on toast.

Still...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Spice burgers were made with meat?

I always thought it was bread or something

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

phasers wrote: »
    Spice burgers were made with meat?

I always thought it was bread or something

There wasnt much meat in fairness,they were mostly breadcrumbs and onion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭glanman

Never had one, never heard of them too...

Batter burger in Roma II beside whelans in Dublin, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭GlindaGale

I'm heartbroken. :(

Spice burgers are the taste of my childhood. My Ma used to cook them for me a lot, she always managed to burn them to a crisp and yet make them really greasy, what a terrible cook. I'll have to get her to make them for me one more time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

A sad, sad day for the ordinary man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Can we club together a few quid and save the spice burger??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

joe316 wrote: »

I will sadly have to rule myself out of any management position due to my inability to manage the stock without lashing into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Nolanger wrote: »
    TRADITIONAL IRISH cuisine has been dealt a blow with the demise of the company that invented that staple of chippers nationwide, the spice burger.

Walsh Family Foods closed its doors earlier this month with the loss of 50 jobs and a receiver is to be appointed to the business next week. The company, based in the Poppintree industrial estate in Finglas, could no longer sustain heavy losses caused by the weakness of sterling against the euro and tough competition from UK rivals.

One of its main customers, Tesco, recently cut the number of products it bought from the company from 16 to one, but internal sources said this was not a significant factor in Walsh’s closure.

Spice burgers have been on the Irish market since the early 1950s and were the first product manufactured by Walsh Family Foods. Pork butcher Maurice Walsh developed the product, described on its website as “a delicious blend of Irish beef, onions, cereals, herbs and spices coated with traditional outer crumb,” at the rear of his shop in Glasnevin.

From these humble beginnings, the firm expanded into burgers, garlic mushrooms and another favourite of chip-shop habituees, the onion ring. Maurice Walsh’s son and daughter, Paddy and Helen, joined him in the business as it grew and started to export to the UK and beyond.

The company patented its recipe for spice burgers, but the product’s popularity never really expanded beyond Ireland. It remained the only producer, so future supplies may depend on the ability of a receiver to find new interests to take over the business.

In 2000, the Walsh family sold most of its shareholding in the company to a management buy-in team and ICC Venture Capital. The team, led by Pat McCaughey, former managing director of Boyne Valley Group, purchased a controlling interest for less than €1.27 million. Annual turnover rose to €14 million, of which €4 million was in exports to Britain. However, the company lost heavily on a big contract in the UK where the price was set before sterling weakened. Mr McCaughey could not be contacted yesterday and there was no answer from the company’s telephones. However, a message on its lines on Tuesday stated that a receiver would be appointed on June 22nd. The firm closed after an appeal to Enterprise Ireland for emergency funding was rejected.

“They didn’t want to know,” said an internal company source. “It’s a sad tale.”

Spice burgers are disgusting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

efla wrote: »

BOOOOOOOOOO

the perfect after pub takeaway. Not so much a fan of the microwaveable variety however. It just doesnt recreate the pub variety's taste!

efla wrote: »

INFIDEL!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Oh... a search in google for Spice Burger brings up this thread and another thread on boards as the top results.

I never knew they were such a niche market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭lala stone

joe316 wrote: »
    we can!! if we all buy the patent rights we can make and sell them again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭well horse

Spice Burger cut horizontaly into two peices and placed between 2 slices of white bread with red sauce; quite nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

cianl1 wrote: »
    NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They were bloody delicious. I'm a student for Christ's sake! What the hell else am I supposed to eat?!

A National Day of Mourning I say!
    +10000
    Spice burgers were great from the chipper, but cooking them at home was actually nicer. Just throw them under the grill for 5 minutes each side and hey presto, food fit for a king
    Draupnir wrote: »
    A sad day indeed, always been a fan of the spice burger. Originally, I enjoyed them best on a slice of Brennan's pan, rolled up with a dollop of Tomato Ketchup.
    I always thought if I went on Masterchef I'd wow them with the spice burger sandwich. Either really fresh brennans bread, or toast. Ballymaloe instead of ketchup if you're feeling posh

Fingers crossed an alternative brand is available although the Walsh family will be ever remembered as the founder.
    It's won't be the same.
    This is the worst thing that's ever happened. EVER.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I've never eaten one nor had the desire to. In conclusion, I'm devestated by this news.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

I can't believe there was beef in them! I thought they were just stuffing. I used to get them all the time. Some chippers would cut them in half before deep frying them, they would be seriously greasy then.

Tragedy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

All across Ireland there are vegaratians with stomach cramps brought on by the realisation that there was beef in every spice burger they have mistakenly consumed. Anyone else find that hilarious?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

We had one of them fancy Italian chippers open up in our town not so long ago and them things where on the menu. Tried a batter burger and thought it was all wrong, it felt like battered sausage but tasted like bad beef it was just wrong. Didn't try a spice burger that just sounded wronger. Eat normal burgers ye weirdos!

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    We had one of them fancy Italian chippers open up in our town not so long ago and them things where on the menu. Tried a batter burger and thought it was all wrong, it felt like battered sausage but tasted like bad beef it was just wrong. Didn't try a spice burger that just sounded wronger. Eat normal burgers ye weirdos!

I'll start eating normal burgers when you start using normal english.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Ah spice bugers. They will be missed! One every now again was lovely :)
    RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Must say spice burgers strike me as being only tolerable when half cut. Which may well explain their cultural success here.

Anyone else find that hilarious?
    Yes:D

mike65 wrote: »
    Must say spice burgers strike me as being only tolerable when half cut.
    They were great whole as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

I have to express my sadness, disgust, disappointment, shock, outrage and anger at this....

Disgusted & saddened that the mighty Spice Burger will be no more...

But more to the point I'm shocked, outraged & angered at the amount of people here who have never even heard of the Spice Burger! I was practically reared on them. They go lovely with a mixed grill for tea, a fry-up for breakfast, or even just with chips or on bread! I also agree with whoever mentioned that they are the perfect 'coming home locked' snack!

But finally I'm disappointed...... my realisation that Boardsies in fact don't know everything has deeply disappointed me; and I used to think you were all so cool...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

not the spoice boorger, anything but the spoice boorger :eek:

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

All may not be lost..i definatly remember some butchers doing an alternative version of the spice burger..it didnt taste exactly the same but there was a lot more meat in it..maybe something can be salvaged from this terrible tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Stephen has a lot to answer for.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

K-9 wrote: »
    Stephen has a lot to answer for.

Whoa, whoa hold on there a minute. I LOVE the Spice Burger. Don't start blaming people willy nilly
    :D

Advertisement