Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭emaherx

New Project: or more accuretly combining 2 old projects.
    Built this water bowser last year as a temporary solution to a water problem on an outfarm. It's built on a custom pallet for bale lifter made from RSJ's.

33631077898_c16ed8e1c6_c.jpgIMG_20190331_120715 by Emaherx, on Flickr

47922713582_e97cec75bf_c.jpgIMG_20190520_173859 by Emaherx, on Flickr

So Plan is to turn it into a complete self contained mobile solar fence and water pumping station. I plan on fencing cattle out of all streams on the farm and this mobile solution can be easily moved along with cattle when they are moved between outfarms.

50174273486_8b4b3ebe12_c.jpgIMG_20200731_183622 by Emaherx, on Flickr

50174273481_45c6e0d177_c.jpgIMG_20200731_183641 by Emaherx, on Flickr

I just roughly threw a box together today from scrap wood that was lying around, and mounted the solar panel, I'll add some more pictures of the workings as the project progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,124 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Just make doubley sure no electric current gets near the water. :p

Cool job!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭minerleague

Will be following this too, will You post what pump and solar panel you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,160 ✭✭✭✭Base price

+1

Here is my Shopping list. I've been using the pump for a while now and it can fill the IBC in about 20 min of running. It's a submersible pump but I'm on the look out for a 12V shallow well surface type pump aswell for one out farm where I currently run a petrol generator.

Pump:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/BACOENG-Submersible-Water-Solar-Cable/dp/B017E7UBN2

Solar:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07S2B2QGV?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Float switch:

Electric fence unit:
    https://www.electric-fence.co.uk/voss-farming-greenenergy-dual-power-12v-mains-battery-energiser.html

• Advertisement

Another project, going to add these weigh beams to my portable crush. Need to do some repairs to crush floor first though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00OZUFO52?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

Need to stop looking at Amazon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

emaherx wrote: »
    Another project, going to add these weigh beams to my portable crush. Need to do some repairs to crush floor first though.

Excellent job to weight in portable crush. So much easier on man and beast and quicker. Maybe a bit of rubber on the floor of crush. Consider something with eid tags coming down the track

Excellent job to weight in portable crush. So much easier on man and beast and quicker. Maybe a bit of rubber on the floor of crush. Consider something with eid tags coming down the track

Will definitely do something with EID when they become the norm. My final year project in college was based on RFID. The scales has an RS232 port so could easily integrate it into an automated system for reading and recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Check that these have a calibration function and also that they can handle a moving weight.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

521759.jpeg
    Anyone got any easy way/tips to remove the drive wheel from the front of the muck spreader to change the bearing? Also where is good to order replacement bearings from?
    TIA

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

W that needs a bit of heat and a pullers I reckon. Get the chain off first.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Normally weld a piece of key steel across the key then put wedges in both sides. Take the chain off first. If you cant do that then just use an hydraulic puller. If that's not an option then drill 2 holes and use a strong channel iron and some threaded bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Micheal H

New Project: or more accuretly combining 2 old projects.
    Built this water bowser last year as a temporary solution to a water problem on an outfarm. It's built on a custom pallet for bale lifter made from RSJ's.

So Plan is to turn it into a complete self contained mobile solar fence and water pumping station. I plan on fencing cattle out of all streams on the farm and this mobile solution can be easily moved along with cattle when they are moved between outfarms.

I just roughly threw a box together today from scrap wood that was lying around, and mounted the solar panel, I'll add some more pictures of the workings as the project progresses.

Great project emaherx. I made something similar last year for an outfarm. Had been using the Lister nose pumps, but at the height of summer the river level would drop too low for the pumps to lift, right at the times water was needed most!

I went the route of putting a pressure vessel in and a high-flow pump for quad sprayers/weed lickers instead of IBC and submersible pump, but same concept really.

521799.jpg

521800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

Nice tidy work, looks good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Saturday night bank holiday weekend fencing special:eek:

Before;

521806.jpg

After;

521807.jpg

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Here is my Shopping list. I've been using the pump for a while now and it can fill the IBC in about 20 min of running. It's a submersible pump but I'm on the look out for a 12V shallow well surface type pump aswell for one out farm where I currently run a petrol generator.

Pump:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/BACOENG-Submersible-Water-Solar-Cable/dp/B017E7UBN2

Solar:

Float switch:

Electric fence unit:
    https://www.electric-fence.co.uk/voss-farming-greenenergy-dual-power-12v-mains-battery-energiser.html

You are some man for one man. You should have a blog with plans. You’ve a great head on you. Fair play.

Micheal H wrote: »
    Great project emaherx. I made something similar last year for an outfarm. Had been using the Lister nose pumps, but at the height of summer the river level would drop too low for the pumps to lift, right at the times water was needed most!

I went the route of putting a pressure vessel in and a high-flow pump for quad sprayers/weed lickers instead of IBC and submersible pump, but same concept really.

521799.jpg

521800.jpg

Very nice did you fabricate the box yourself? Looks a little less guntered than mine. I need to up my game :D

I considered a similar setup to yours, but I like that the IBC gives a bit of backup in case of breakdown. I also already had some and I'm using the cheapest components that I can.

Check that these have a calibration function and also that they can handle a moving weight.

They do have a calibration function.
    And seem to function ok with a few of us heavy lads testing them out. Might be a bit different with an animal but mine are all quite and will stand still when they are told :D

521759.jpeg
    Anyone got any easy way/tips to remove the drive wheel from the front of the muck spreader to change the bearing? Also where is good to order replacement bearings from?
    TIA

Is there room for sprocket to move back?
    I made this to remove sprockets from the baler, 2 taps with sledge and sprocket moves back and key falls out. I've also seen someone remove them with a pullers with a torque multiplyer on it that made easy work of it.

29394331368_12723a8b64_c.jpgIMG_20180707_162439 by Emaherx, on Flickr

41454482670_5f10ce659a_c.jpgIMG_20180707_162432 by Emaherx, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭curiousinvestor

You are some man for one man. You should have a blog with plans. You’ve a great head on you. Fair play.

This , 100%
    Can we start a thread with one contributor allowed!!!

• Advertisement

Thank you very much.

I've considered a blog, but I got stuck with trying to come up with a name for one. I'm might regret saying this but all suggestions are welcome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,124 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Thank you very much.

I've considered a blog, but I got stuck with trying to come up with a name for one. I'm might regret saying this but all suggestions are welcome :D

Over the fence Wilson. ;)

McGuyver

McGuyver from Cavan

McGuyver with a Massey

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Jim_11

Bought the same set up here about 2 years back, the wiring and soldering on the connections are poor, I’ve spent more times re soldering than I can count, always happens when the crush is full, What is often a 20 minute job turns into half a day. It’s still a lot cheaper than most options but be careful when your handling the cables. The lock on function is non existent with cattle, your always guessing to the nearest 5-10kg ish, the slightest movement throws it off, ive no experience of more expensive scales, maybe there all the same.
    I got a sheet of alu checkered plate folded and welded for the platform, I used a few lengths of 9x2 screwed together for awhile, cheap but no grip

Jim_11 wrote: »
    Bought the same set up here about 2 years back, the wiring and soldering on the connections are poor, I’ve spent more times re soldering than I can count, always happens when the crush is full, What is often a 20 minute job turns into half a day. It’s still a lot cheaper than most options but be careful when your handling the cables. The lock on function is non existent with cattle, your always guessing to the nearest 5-10kg ish, the slightest movement throws it off, ive no experience of more expensive scales, maybe there all the same.
    I got a sheet of alu checkered plate folded and welded for the platform, I used a few lengths of 9x2 screwed together for awhile, cheap but no grip

Thanks for the input, yea connectors look a bit poor, but they can be easily replaced if I find the unit otherwise acceptable to use.

Over the fence Wilson. ;)

McGuyver

McGuyver from Cavan

McGuyver with a Massey

First ones not bad.

I'm not from Cavan though. But I'd look awesome with a mullet and a Swiss army knife :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

First ones not bad.

I'm not from Cavan though. But I'd look awesome with a mullet and a Swiss army knife :D

The ponytailed Gunter

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭goldsalmon33

The beams are only 120cm long? Your platform will be overhanging a good bit on both ends right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Odelay

The beams are only 120cm long? Your platform will be overhanging a good bit on both ends right?

or 120cm wide.

It’s only a steel beam with 2 load cells bolted on I can easily lengthen or shorten if required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The Rabbi

First ones not bad.

Muckiver

Advertisement