Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Little bit of guntering last night..
    Make tagging etc in the trailer a bit easier.

O0Q5C3e.jpg

ofaGtKB.jpg

zY1UERZ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Little bit of guntering last night..
    Make tagging etc in the trailer a bit easier.

g]

There’ll be some language used when you miss the little platform, or put it on it a little bit sideways and the tagger or spray can fall on the ground outside :)

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

https://youtu.be/mA4r7jWlch8

Mate of mine made this today. Made from scrap around the yard, bit of pto shaft, and a few stainless fittings for good measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Bit more done to the 135

50003315417_7003ac7507.jpgIMG_20200613_215837 by Kevin Hogan, on Flickr

50003058281_8ff5e698bf.jpgIMG_20200613_215823 by Kevin Hogan, on Flickr

im looking for a set of the original metal 135 headlights if anyone would know where id get a set

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

While we are on the topic of 135s I am looking for a good set of mud guards if anyone has some lying idle

rushvalley wrote: »
    While we are on the topic of 135s I am looking for a good set of mud guards if anyone has some lying idle

I'll have a pair in a few weeks. Putting new ones on mine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    E96 delivered to killala the last time i checked

I presume that’s including vat but that’s a serious dear price. It’s a year since I got any but paid €71 plus the vat for it so round €80 all in.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    I presume that’s including vat but that’s a serious dear price. It’s a year since I got any but paid €71 plus the vat for it so round €80 all in.

Where are you?. Havent seen concrete that cheap since the last recession!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭DBK1

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Where are you?. Havent seen concrete that cheap since the last recession!!
    I’m in the midlands, just ordered 50 metres of 35N concrete for a job later this week. €63.50 plus vat so €72 all in from Kilsaran.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

DBK1 wrote: »
    I’m in the midlands, just ordered 50 metres of 35N concrete for a job later this week. €63.50 plus vat so €72 all in from Kilsaran.

Value there.

mayota wrote: »
    Value there.
    Definitely, the next cheapest was €71 plus vat which I was quoted from 2 other suppliers. I never dealt with Kilsaran before, always Banagher concrete and I never really priced around, but Banagher have stopped supplying readymix now so that forced my hand. Maybe I’ve been paying too much for years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Are these worth a punt? Have the old fashion flip down type helmet. Only trying to learn to weld.

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/diy-projects/automatic-welding-helmet/p44093

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭pms7

timple23 wrote: »
    Are these worth a punt? Have the old fashion flip down type helmet. Only trying to learn to weld.

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/diy-projects/automatic-welding-helmet/p44093

Got it few months ago, works ok, auto is handy, only auto I ever used so can't compare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Definitely, the next cheapest was €71 plus vat which I was quoted from 2 other suppliers. I never dealt with Kilsaran before, always Banagher concrete and I never really priced around, but Banagher have stopped supplying readymix now so that forced my hand. Maybe I’ve been paying too much for years!!

Which kilsaran? 50 metres is a lot so maybe that's how you got the value?
    Didn't know about banagher concrete , I'd say they may be back to it yet if what the economists say is true.
    I find loughnanes dear, got 20t of plastering sand for 400 all in recently

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Mobile phone holder, before anyone asks, the towel on the left is not used as an emergency Covid19 face mask, it's mainly used to clean hydraulic couplings!

517854.jpg

At a push the straps can also be used as a mini tripod for making videos of what is going on behind:cool:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

blue5000 wrote: »

At a push the straps can also be used as a mini tripod for making videos of what is going on behind:cool:

A true Blue movie.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

blue5000 wrote: »
    Mobile phone holder, before anyone asks, the towel on the left is not used as an emergency Covid19 face mask, it's mainly used to clean hydraulic couplings!

517854.jpg

How did you take the photo?!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

How did you take the photo?!

It's a painting, an oil painting:P

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭jus_tin4

anyone try to make a button operated drafting gate?

• Advertisement

jus_tin4 wrote: »
    anyone try to make a button operated drafting gate?
    Thought about it, should be easy enough just valve to control air to ram. Have a simple rope one and works very well, so not sure if button big advantage unless its automatic. Thought about diy auto one too but couldnt source rfid with the range needed. Like the one that uses sensor you clip onto the tail of cow to draft, not as handy as ones when can enter tag numbers obviously..

Didn't know about banagher concrete , I'd say they may be back to it yet if what the economists say is true.
    Blue ball depot. After a bit of adjustment to the job it turned out I only needed 39 metres. Price stayed the same, payment end of next month, couldn’t ask for any better really. Loughnane’s are a bit more expensive alright but I suppose to be fair they are a small family run company, they probably can’t get the inputs as cheap as Kilsaran. Although around here all the block layers look for Loughnane blocks as a first preference and always want Loughnane block laying sand for mortar, they claim it to be the best.

Apparently they are running out of sand and it's worth 7 times more to them in a bridge beam than it is in readymix so naturally enough it's going into the beams.

It's an impressive sight to see them 140 foot long beams travelling along the road, it's worth a trip to Birr some time to see them turning the junction at the mart for anyone with an interest in driving or machinery. They head for the ferries then and travel all over the world. Not bad for a company in a bog in Offaly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭jus_tin4

pms7 wrote: »
    Thought about it, should be easy enough just valve to control air to ram. Have a simple rope one and works very well, so not sure if button big advantage unless its automatic. Thought about diy auto one too but couldnt source rfid with the range needed. Like the one that uses sensor you clip onto the tail of cow to draft, not as handy as ones when can enter tag numbers obviously..

Would air be the best/more cost effective?

Auto would be class but i think thats were you would really need to know what your doing:)

I had thought it might need to be hydraulic? anyone any pics of one they built?

jus_tin4 wrote: »
    Would air be the best/more cost effective?

Auto would be class but i think thats were you would really need to know what your doing:)

I had thought it might need to be hydraulic? anyone any pics of one they built?

All commercial gates use air rams as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

pms7 wrote: »
    Just something to remember is an air ram will leave off an audible whoosh of air when operated that can frighten cows and make them baulk so need to have them in a short race before draft gate so they cant wheel around

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The Rabbi

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

For anyone thinking of making an air operated drafting gate, you can use an air operated switch to open the valve that works the gate, so no electrics used at all. You can also get a sound muffler to minimise the sound from the air leaving the cylinder.

Air/Pilot Valve to operate the cylinder;
    https://www.flomax.ie/Catalogue/PNEUMATIC-EQUIPMENT/Solenoid-Air-Operated-Pneumatic-Valves/AirPilot-Operated-Valves/52-PilotSpring-Valve---G12-Ports

Push/Pull valve the operator pushes to work the gate
    https://www.flomax.ie/Catalogue/PNEUMATIC-EQUIPMENT/Mechanically-Operated-Pneumatic-Valves/Push-Pull-Valves/32-PushPull-Valve---G18-Ports

Mufflers;
    https://www.flomax.ie/Catalogue/Fittings-Couplings-Adaptors/Hose-Fittings-Threaded-Adaptors/Silencers-Mufflers

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Shay Murtagh in Raharney Co Westmeath make them Beams also .

One place they remove the top of a pier to get around one corner itsthat tight with the bridge beams . Like that I think they are making them up at 50M long now and the trailer is actually held together with the beam its that long

Apparently they are running out of sand and it's worth 7 times more to them in a bridge beam than it is in readymix so naturally enough it's going into the beams.

It's an impressive sight to see them 140 foot long beams travelling along the road, it's worth a trip to Birr some time to see them turning the junction at the mart for anyone with an interest in driving or machinery. They head for the ferries then and travel all over the world. Not bad for a company in a bog in Offaly!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

For anyone thinking of making an air operated drafting gate, you can use an air operated switch to open the valve that works the gate, so no electrics used at all. You can also get a sound muffler to minimise the sound from the air leaving the cylinder.

Air/Pilot Valve to operate the cylinder;
    https://www.flomax.ie/Catalogue/PNEUMATIC-EQUIPMENT/Solenoid-Air-Operated-Pneumatic-Valves/AirPilot-Operated-Valves/52-PilotSpring-Valve---G12-Ports

Push/Pull valve the operator pushes to work the gate
    https://www.flomax.ie/Catalogue/PNEUMATIC-EQUIPMENT/Mechanically-Operated-Pneumatic-Valves/Push-Pull-Valves/32-PushPull-Valve---G18-Ports

Mufflers;
    https://www.flomax.ie/Catalogue/Fittings-Couplings-Adaptors/Hose-Fittings-Threaded-Adaptors/Silencers-Mufflers

If you want to quieten the air coming from the cyclinder just put a long pipe out to the outside of the shed. If anyone needs a hand with pneumatics let me know.
    Electrics in a shed are to be avoided with cattle where possoble. This is a good way to avoid it. It does mean you need a compressor though.

Advertisement