Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Grueller

Could i ask as to where you purchased the swirls and other bits? I have a few handrails to make and i'll buy in the bits and bobs and put them together myself over the winter, Thanks.

Talitech in Cork are as good as any for this sort of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭emaherx

Could i ask as to where you purchased the swirls and other bits? I have a few handrails to make and i'll buy in the bits and bobs and put them together myself over the winter, Thanks.

https://www.talitech.com/product-category/decorative-ironwork/
    Grueller wrote: »
    Talitech in Cork are as good as any for this sort of stuff

I agree. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Buy a 4,500 litre plastic water tank. Pipe the rainwater from the shed roofs into it.
    Plumb up inch or inch and a quarter pipe and a 2.6 kw water pump to the tank and then have your yellow inch pipe to wash down with the nozzle lock head.
    That's the exact set up I have for washing down the parlour.

The big water tank is essential as it won't rain the whole time plus rainwater is better than treated mains for land application from an ecological point of view.

I bought that pump at an auction where it was piped from a water trough to wash concrete in a finishing shed.

Could you divert washings from the machine into the tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,122 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Could you divert washings from the machine into the tank?

Could do anything. :p

But no I wouldn't. You'd only occasionally empty it completely and the washings would go stinking in the tank and then you're trying to wash down the parlour with that?
    I've the plate cooler running into as well as the rainwater. Ah it's enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Well this made my day. Our old Vicegrips turned up after more than 6 months. Couldn't figure where it went to. We have it over 30 years.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

Little bit of oil,
    Be grand :D

emaherx wrote: »
    Little bit of oil,
    Be grand :D
    I'll soak it in diesel. Working fine as it is anyway. 😁

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

I'm putting up a small shed at the moment, adding another bay to a shed I have with a curved haybarn style roof. There is a small yard at the side of the shed and I will roof this. The shed was built mid 80's. A cavity block on the side and plastered flush to the uprights. I checked the line of the shed wall and yard wall today and it's only out less than 1mm over the entire length.
    I remember the guy building it at the time and everyone saying what a tasty job he did but still..........
    It makes my job easier anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Anyone got any recommendations for a soldering station?
    My current soldering iron is low wattage and really only meant for electronics. I was trying to solder a broken cable on the baler, but the iron could not heat the wire sufficiently to make the solder run.

Was looking to get a variable heat version - any recommendations?

Anyone got any recommendations for a soldering station?
    My current soldering iron is low wattage and really only meant for electronics. I was trying to solder a broken cable on the baler, but the iron could not heat the wire sufficiently to make the solder run.

Was looking to get a variable heat version - any recommendations?

By cable, I presume you mean copper cable for the baler electrics.

I use one like this on at my desk at work, it's the same one I have had since college. Maplin used to sell them here.
    https://www.bnrindustrial.com.au/products/doss-zd929b-soldering-station

But in my tool bag I just keep a 25W fixed temperature Antex soldering iron. They are available in various wattages from 10W to 100W.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I’ve a cow box that the axles are rotten and So is the floor. The rest of it is on good shape. Should I try get it sorted?

I wouldn’t be using it on the main road If it wasn’t road legal, but might be handy moving the odd animal to a far of meadow.

If I can’t use it as a cow box, I was thinking of converting into a creep feeder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

I use one like this on at my desk at work, it's the same one I have had since college. Maplin used to sell them here.
    https://www.bnrindustrial.com.au/products/doss-zd929b-soldering-station

But in my tool bag I just keep a 25W fixed temperature Antex soldering iron. They are available in various wattages from 10W to 100W.

I use one of these. Pretty good. Nice to be able to take this to the problem.. not the problem to the soldering iron!

https://ie-jbtools.glopalstore.com/portosol-pp-1k-soldering-iron-kit/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz5eU2pGZ6wIVzOeyCh1sVgzaEAQYAiABEgLjjvD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Yeah, its a heavier cable than the 7-core and the wee iron isn't fit to heat it to make the solder flow. Taped up for the weekends baling, but I'd like to get it done right at some stage.

Was looking at one of these which I think would do my job:
    Soldering Station - Amazon - #1

Soldering Station - Amazon - #2

They seem much of a muchness. Not sure if the ones wit the hot air gun would be of much use to me - unless I used it for heat shrink - but then I do have a hot air gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

I’ve a cow box that the axles are rotten and So is the floor. The rest of it is on good shape. Should I try get it sorted?

I wouldn’t be using it on the main road If it wasn’t road legal, but might be handy moving the odd animal to a far of meadow.

If I can’t use it as a cow box, I was thinking of converting into a creep feeder.

Put it on DoneDeal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Well this made my day. Our old Vicegrips turned up after more than 6 months. Couldn't figure where it went to. We have it over 30 years.

if you have the same vice grip 30 years you are either
    a lazy devil that does nothing
    ocd/anal personality at minding stuff
    you re neighbours dont like you and never borrow off you
    a proper mechanic
    must confess i use one alot and would buy one a year,find you either have 3 or one at any given time.

Figerty wrote: »
    I use one of these. Pretty good. Nice to be able to take this to the problem.. not the problem to the soldering iron!

https://ie-jbtools.glopalstore.com/portosol-pp-1k-soldering-iron-kit/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz5eU2pGZ6wIVzOeyCh1sVgzaEAQYAiABEgLjjvD_BwE

I have one of those still prefer my Antex with an extension lead if anywhere near the workshop. Great if power not available though.

K.G. wrote: »
    if you have the same vice grip 30 years you are either
    a lazy devil that does nothing
    ocd/anal personality at minding stuff
    you re neighbours dont like you and never borrow off you
    a proper mechanic
    must confess i use one alot and would buy one a year,find you either have 3 or one at any given time.

I have a proper set of wrenches so stopped using vice grips on nuts a long time ago. It's kept on the tractor with a hammer to cover most emergencies when needed.
    What the hell are you doing with them, if buying one a year?

I've a few hand tools like that the past 30 or so years, wouldn't be particularly OCD about tools but some are just used so often they are always to hand. I get particularly annoyed if I cant find my ball and pein hammer, its hard to get another thats weighted right with a decent length handle.

I reckon a lad that buys a vice grips regulalry needs a new one everytime they break a handle or a lever on a machine. Which reminds me I currently have one holding a rear view mirror in place on one of the tractors and have the new mirror arm sitting in the kitchen for at least the last month, I should probably fix that. :D

Got the new gates hanging last night.

50224921316_5bca2f8015_c.jpgIMG_20200814_082334 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I have a proper set of wrenches so stopped using vice grips on nuts a long time ago. It's kept on the tractor with a hammer to cover most emergencies when needed.

ah just a bit of everything ,fencing,water joints, hyd hoses,mechanicing,even as welding earth clamp.they just go missing with us.dont for one second be under the illusion that this is a perfect yard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

a good size adjustable is handy also and Toyota screw driver(Flat one end, Philips other end)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Grueller

I have 4. I used them on cows tails in the parlour when training heifers this year. Stops kicking instantly

Had a bit of an engine oil leak after repairing the balancer issue....

50235987231_f71f2837d2_z.jpg20200816_135120 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

sombody had it plugged with some chemical metal filler. :rolleyes:
    I'd complain but I've had this tractor for 20 years and it never leaked till now :D

50235985971_15d1a7e8d5_c.jpgIMG_20200816_135317 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

I also finished off my solar powered pump.

50230158226_a0d01a81f3_c.jpgIMG_20200815_165446 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

50229513518_3b615a6b9f_c.jpgIMG_20200815_165244 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

All ready for depolyment. Hopefully set it up in the field at the weekend.
    50230158046_7f1472b28e_c.jpgIMG_20200815_180558 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

Wet day job,.. No stand leg for the Haybob.
    Aldi wheel barrow wheel about €10.
    30mm Gavanise blue band pipe. Cut at the correct angle to make the wheel roughly on centre.
    Pin for an arm made the axle. Clip to hold it in.

Welded a bolt on the top to steer with spanner if needs be.. but it works fine without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Jb1989

30mm Gavanise blue band pipe. Cut at the correct angle to make the wheel roughly on centre.

Welded a bolt on the top to steer with spanner if needs be.. but it works fine without it.

How do you like the side delivery rake?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Well at least I now know where my missing beer keg is!

Jb1989 wrote: »

Comes out of the shed once a year to pull silage/hay out from the walls.. then it goes back in the shed... I thought it deserved news wheels since the first lot in 1985!

I found a scrap one a few years ago and have spares for it. It rattles and bangs a bit but for one hour it works away.

Well at least I now know where my missing beer keg is!

You must be missing four of them... .The new wheel makes the beer keg redundant..

• Advertisement

Jb1989 wrote: »

It always ends up being about the background :D

Advertisement