Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

For anyone thinking of making an air operated drafting gate, you can use an air operated switch to open the valve that works the gate, so no electrics used at all. You can also get a sound muffler to minimise the sound from the air leaving the cylinder.

Air/Pilot Valve to operate the cylinder;
    https://www.flomax.ie/Catalogue/PNEUMATIC-EQUIPMENT/Solenoid-Air-Operated-Pneumatic-Valves/AirPilot-Operated-Valves/52-PilotSpring-Valve---G12-Ports

Push/Pull valve the operator pushes to work the gate
    https://www.flomax.ie/Catalogue/PNEUMATIC-EQUIPMENT/Mechanically-Operated-Pneumatic-Valves/Push-Pull-Valves/32-PushPull-Valve---G18-Ports

Mufflers;
    https://www.flomax.ie/Catalogue/Fittings-Couplings-Adaptors/Hose-Fittings-Threaded-Adaptors/Silencers-Mufflers

Any idea what sort of money it would cost to get a kit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Problem: i'd like to have a 3rd function on a front linkage, currently 2 spool valves piped, 1 flow 1 return, if i'm using a hydraulic top link i have no spool valves left to operate a 3rd function, what are my options?

The joystick has a 3rd function button on it, the wire coming from the joystick terminates short of the valve chest feeding the front linkage, can i T off of existing lines, and if so where? i'd like to put a small ram on things like bucket or bale carrier to trip them. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

Problem: i'd like to have a 3rd function on a front linkage, currently 2 spool valves piped, 1 flow 1 return, if i'm using a hydraulic top link i have no spool valves left to operate a 3rd function, what are my options?

The joystick has a 3rd function button on it, the wire coming from the joystick terminates short of the valve chest feeding the front linkage, can i T off of existing lines, and if so where? i'd like to put a small ram on things like bucket or bale carrier to trip them. Thanks.

https://www.flowfitonline.com/hydraulic-valves/diverter-valves

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Where are you?. Havent seen concrete that cheap since the last recession!!

Cavan. Got 37n for €69 a meter last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Cavan. Got 37n for €69 a meter last week.

plus vat or including vat?

Floods?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Does anyone have any sketches/ link to or sizes for a creep feeder for weanling calves. I’ve looked online but wanting to see what works for some people.

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Not me btw i wouldn't have the patience

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Does anyone have any sketches/ link to or sizes for a creep feeder for weanling calves. I’ve looked online but wanting to see what works for some people.

Thanks in advance

Would a creep gate work for you? I have a Gibney field creep gate here and it works well.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Thanks in advance
    I made one last year, I'll post up the sizes and cut length when I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Would a creep gate work for you? I have a Gibney field creep gate here and it works well.

It wouldn’t, I want to put up in the bog.

I’ve an old cow box that’s out of use I was thinking of converting.

For the next couple of years, the max calves I’ll have 12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭emaherx

Poly tunnel nearly done, just need some plants now. :D

50155829586_256203a04e_c.jpgIMG_20200726_174915 by Emaherx, on Flickr

50155273763_5b5fec50df_c.jpgIMG_20200726_174827 by Emaherx, on Flickr

50155274043_225d3b5bc8_c.jpgIMG_20200726_174813 by Emaherx, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

I’m thinking of making a weight like the one in the picture. I think Patsy has posted one similar here but I can’t seem to find it. Just wondering if there’s anything I need to watch out for or any tips? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

The strip of angle holding the 9 hole bar in looks a bit short IMO. Think you'd want something a bit longer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

What is the channel iron on the front for?

I’m thinking of making a weight like the one in the picture. I think Patsy has posted one similar here but I can’t seem to find it. Just wondering if there’s anything I need to watch out for or any tips? Thanks

Here are pics of it. Remember it is a counter weight, so no harm have it back a bit from the back axle. This will allow it to swing in too against the drawbar. Put something too on top, like a gate iron hanger so you hang lift it if it falls over. Make it good and strong so it wont rust away. Plenty of rebar too in the concrete. Allow at least 2 weeks for concrete to cure.
    This one was made over 20 years ago.

521196.JPG

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 19,108 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Here are pics of it. Remember it is a counter weight, so no harm have it back a bit from the back axle. This will allow it to swing in too against the drawbar. Put something too on top, like a gate iron hanger so you hang lift it if it falls over. Make it good and strong so it wont rust away. Plenty of rebar too in the concrete. Allow at least 2 weeks for concrete to cure.
    This one was made over 20 years ago.

It wouldn't be much more effort to have a proper three-point linkage set up on it. Less handy for taking on and off but I wouldn't think that would be significant. Proper three-point linkage and it can't swing around either.

Do you mean an A Frame type. Well I can drop and pick it up without getting off tractor.

Do you mean an A Frame type. Well I can drop and pick it up without getting off tractor.

Yeah. The way you have it is grand and handy for taking it on and off. a toplink would prevent any swinging in either direction. but maybe it's not an issue.

The main worry I'd have with that setup you have might be if you were driving along a track or something and it hit a bump got lifted off the arms. Might not be likely though and I suppose that a deep "latch" would stop that anyway. If I was putting a bracket for a toplink, I'd have pins for the arms. I know they have new ones now that just sit on the arms, but they tend to be flat. The barrels ones could "fall over" if it came off mid-transit .... but you have the hook on the top for righting them.

Yeah. The way you have it is grand and handy for taking it on and off. a toplink would prevent any swinging in either direction. but maybe it's not an issue.

The main worry I'd have with that setup you have might be if you were driving along a track or something and it hit a bump got lifted off the arms. Might not be likely though and I suppose that a deep "latch" would stop that anyway.

The drawbar acts as the 3rd point so it won't swing.

emaherx wrote: »
    The drawbar acts as the 3rd point so it won't swing.

But it could swing the other way. The weight of it might prevent that normally but suppose, as I said, you are driving down tracks in a field and the wheel goes into a deep spot, or else there is a hump in the middle and the bottom of the weight hits the ground and you don't notice. It's going to tip forward into the back of the tractor.

• Advertisement

They were old pics. I've since added a plate to the lower part. It never came off the tractor with me. I use it loading dung etc and could drop and pick it up 30 times a day.
    Not meant for speeding on a bumpy road that's for sure, but around a yard, it doesn't budge.

But it could swing the other way. The weight of it might prevent that normally but suppose, as I said, you are driving down tracks in a field and the wheel goes into a deep spot, or else there is a hump in the middle and the bottom of the weight hits the ground and you don't notice. It's going to tip forward into the back of the tractor.

It will be for yard work mostly and want to be able to pick it up quickly and easily. It would be easier to make one with three point linkage alright, just take an old bale spike or spinner frame and concrete it into the barrel.

They were old pics. I've since added a plate to the lower part. It never came off the tractor with me. I use it loading dung etc and could drop and pick it up 30 times a day.
    Not meant for speeding on a bumpy road, that's for sure but around a yard, it doesn't budge.

That’s exactly what I want it for, so I can drop of the dung spreader and pick up the weight to fill it with front loader and vice versa

That’s exactly what I want it for, so I can drop of the dung spreader and pick up the weight to fill it with front loader and vice versa

You can leave on the nine hole bar while spreading, but you need to be damn sure the arms are locked up. Drop the arms on the PTO shaft and you're in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Poly tunnel nearly done, just need some plants now. :D

50155829586_256203a04e_c.jpgIMG_20200726_174915 by Emaherx, on Flickr

50155273763_5b5fec50df_c.jpgIMG_20200726_174827 by Emaherx, on Flickr

50155274043_225d3b5bc8_c.jpgIMG_20200726_174813 by Emaherx, on Flickr
    Nifty ... What's the black on the inside of the hoops ? ( Looks like pipe insulation )
    If you can pick up a few paving slabs for a path up the middle (and the entrance) it keeps your feet from getting muddy ,and is easy to push a wheelbarrow along ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Nifty ... What's the black on the inside of the hoops ? ( Looks like pipe insulation )
    If you can pick up a few paving slabs for a path up the middle (and the entrance) it keeps your feet from getting muddy ,and is easy to push a wheelbarrow along ..

The black is the hoops, they are made from a roll of heavy poly pipe that was lying around. The poly pipe is slipped over some old scaffold tubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

The black is the hoops, they are made from a roll of heavy poly pipe that was lying around. The poly pipe is slipped over some old scaffold tubes.

Nice one ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 43 zfml

Nice job. The scaffold tubes hammered into the ground a few feet?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

zfml wrote: »

Most tunnels would have a lump of concrete around the tubes in the ground

• Advertisement

zfml wrote: »

Dug holes and set in concrete.

Here's the whole album of the build.
    https://flic.kr/s/aHsmNsqRUU

Advertisement