Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Any ideas what to get the old boys for fathers day ? He hates presents but I usually get a few small things under 50 squids or so any handy yokes around the guntering shed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Bullocks wrote: »
    Any ideas what to get the old boys for fathers day ? He hates presents but I usually get a few small things under 50 squids or so any handy yokes around the guntering shed

Subscription to Classic Tractor or that other magazine Farm Ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Little handy knife sharpener? Keeps him away from the grinder?!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

LED rechargeable work spot light.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Little handy knife sharpener? Keeps him away from the grinder?!

You must know him , every knife gets a rub of the grinder haha :D

• Advertisement

LED rechargeable work spot light.

He has one of already , great yoke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

You must know him , every knife gets a rub of the grinder haha :D

https://activehuntingireland.ie/knife-sharpeners
    We used to do it here, till I got one. Then whenever they need to be done, I'll take them all home with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

fastrac94 wrote: »
    Says it work of a 3.5 kva genny,nearly worth it just to keep it for that work alone...

gunther a heavy alternator onto the ride-on lawnmower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Attie

420575.jpg

Had a Bail rapper for small bail haylege very slow to transport on tractor, so we built a frame and put it on it along with Yamer engine put wheels on to tow behind car great job.
    This was done 5/6 years ago when there were not many of them about and we were being asked to travel over large area.
    Forgot mention she is not fixed can be taken of frame and mounted on tractor. 
    Attie
    Fast toe bail rapper

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

This is my attempt at head Mould
    Steel frame and aluminium Mould
    Melted down silage wrap and hpde to form the curve and covered with soft mat . Recycling at its best ......
    Last one is lining it up to weld on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

This is the finished job on the Takeuchi Arm repair from a few weeks ago. I was waiting so long for the first guy I called that I took the arm off and was about to lay into it with the MIG when I caved and dropped it off with a local bunch who - I think - made as good a job of it as anyone could have expected.

35317288632_43b39e5857_c.jpg

35317283142_8812a35d89_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

kowtow wrote: »
    This is the finished job on the Takeuchi Arm repair from a few weeks ago. I was waiting so long for the first guy I called that I took the arm off and was about to lay into it with the MIG when I caved and dropped it off with a local bunch who - I think - made as good a job of it as anyone could have expected.

Super job. When you see a pro at work, you'd wonder why you'd try stuff yourself.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Photos of bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

One 8ft and one 3ft retired shuttering pans built into large stones with machine, 6 beer barrels, pallets , planks , casing and sheet and a half of steel mesh and 4m2 of 30N concrete

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭visatorro

35317288632_43b39e5857_c.jpg

35317283142_8812a35d89_c.jpg

Would I be rude to ask how much??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

visatorro wrote: »
    Would I be rude to ask how much??

275 inc. vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭visatorro

275 inc. vat.

That was good value. Lads would see that and say it's only a snot of weld, but if it's done right it's a skill and should be charged as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Bargain. Looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Very tidy job on the dipper arm, as good if not better than it was coming out of the factory.
    There's the guts of a day's work in that, that's a sound price for an excellent job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

Is 2mm sheeting ok in the floor of a single axle car trailer? No big work only timber and a few blocks. No digger buckets or engines. Sound

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Is 2mm sheeting ok in the floor of a single axle car trailer? No big work only timber and a few blocks. No digger buckets or engines. Sound

Should be ok if the crossmembers are 12-16 ins apart.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

very nice job kowtow. People to do these type of jobs are getting very scarce and hard to get. That was a very good price. I would nearly have thought €400 wouldnt have been a bad price for such a good job.

There's 5 in 8 feet which is 1 per 19 inches almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

There's 5 in 8 feet which is 1 per 19 inches almost.

I built a car trailer last summer, using 2mm checker plate for the floor, but I put 3/4 inch marine ply under the plate. I find it a super job, gives the trailer a real solid feel to it, will cope with anything I've thrown at it so far and no rattling from the floor when only bits in it

TheFarrier wrote: »
    I built a car trailer last summer, using 2mm checker plate for the floor, but I put 3/4 inch marine ply under the plate. I find it a super job, gives the trailer a real solid feel to it, will cope with anything I've thrown at it so far and no rattling from the floor when only bits in it

would it still be ok without it?

Should be fine if you're not doing any major work with it.

would it still be ok without it?

It would probably do fine, but my intention was to build a car trailer and do it once. I put the ply under the checker plate to provide a bit of support to stop the plate denting and warping when I'm firing lumps of firewood in from a distance, carrying concrete blocks or heavy awkward bits on rough roads

It would probably do fine, but my intention was to build a car trailer and do it once. I put the ply under the checker plate to provide a bit of support to stop the plate denting and warping when I'm firing lumps of firewood in from a distance, carrying concrete blocks or heavy awkward bits on rough roads

I've played with the idea of building one from scratch, might do it this year, is it worth it?

I've played with the idea of building one from scratch, might do it this year, is it worth it?

It is if you can't afford to buy one. I built it more for a bit of a project than out of necessity, but as I'm sure you can imagine once I had it going it wasn't long before it found itself busy.

I spent €150 on steel, €60 on a hitch, €115 on chequer plate, €60 on ply, €25 on timber for sides, €250 on suspension wheels and tires from indespension, and maybe €50 on paint, and built at evenings and weekends over about ten weeks.

• Advertisement

It is if you can't afford to buy one. I built it more for a bit of a project than out of necessity, but as I'm sure you can imagine once I had it going it wasn't long before it found itself busy.

I spent €150 on steel, €60 on a hitch, €115 on chequer plate, €60 on ply, €25 on timber for sides, €250 on suspension wheels and tires from indespension, and maybe €50 on paint, and built at evenings and weekends over about ten weeks.

I'm in a similar situation, it would be a nice project and i'll get plenty of use out of it.

Can i ask where you sourced your parts from? I looked into pricing it earlier this year and found axles pricey.

Advertisement