Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

kowtow wrote: »
    Any bright ideas?

34666957832_e1089c6908_c.jpg

If it were my machine i'd bevel the edge all the way in to the inside of the beam shoot for ~35 degrees give or take, wipe all grease/oil/paint from surfaces, if it's to be stick welded use a fast freeze rod for the first pass something like a 7010 or 8010 rod as they're good for putting in a root with an uneven opening, fill and cover pass with 7018/8018 rod.

It can be MIG welded using a similar prep to above but it won't be as strong as a stick weld.

No reason why it can't be left good as new, i've no real idea what price you'd pay for a boom but i'd bet it will be multiples of what you'd pay to get it welded.

Never seen one to calf in that spot, i've seen loads that would rip clean off just behind where the hitch joins the lower boom though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Fatigue failure. The crack started out as a small microscopic crack and slowly opened like a tear in a sheet of paper.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭larthehar

If it were my machine i'd bevel the edge all the way in to the inside of the beam shoot for ~35 degrees give or take, wipe all grease/oil/paint from surfaces, if it's to be stick welded use a fast freeze rod for the first pass something like a 7010 or 8010 rod as they're good for putting in a root with an uneven opening, fill and cover pass with 7018/8018 rod.

It can be MIG welded using a similar prep to above but it won't be as strong as a stick weld.

No reason why it can't be left good as new, i've no real idea what price you'd pay for a boom but i'd bet it will be multiples of what you'd pay to get it welded.

Never seen one to calf in that spot, i've seen loads that would rip clean off just behind where the hitch joins the lower boom though.

I agree.. get it welded.. no need to take off the boom either.. a competent welder will weld in situ.. don't dream of a new boom unless you have $$$ to burn!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

larthehar wrote: »
    I agree.. get it welded.. no need to take off the boom either.. a competent welder will weld in situ.. don't dream of a new boom unless you have $$$ to burn!

Would much prefer to weld it if possible. There is a bit more access to the break than might appear as the tear is in a section of channel so may be able to reach inside as well. Will leave the dipper in place and ask around for a good mobile welding outfit... any suggestions around Cork welcome.

All the pins and bushes were done in that arm last year so would much prefer to keep the matching pieces however tired they are!

Would'nt mind seeing an after picture or two if you decide to go down the welding route, good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

It's a takeuchi 125.. just under 3 tonnes.

Any guesses as to what a new dipper would cost?

well a final drive for my 3t Kubota cost me €1600 .

lad in galway breaks diggers

Would much prefer to weld it if possible. There is a bit more access to the break than might appear as the tear is in a section of channel so may be able to reach inside as well. Will leave the dipper in place and ask around for a good mobile welding outfit... any suggestions around Cork welcome.

All the pins and bushes were done in that arm last year so would much prefer to keep the matching pieces however tired they are!

I know a lad down around beara in cork. he does a lot of boats and marine welding

well a final drive for my 3t Kubota cost me €1600 .

lad in galway breaks diggers

Yeh.. I paid 1800 I think for a final drive for that one.

I suppose if we did go down the replacement dipper route we'd have to have it bushed out to match the (already bushed out) top boom?

Must do the track adjusters as well while i think of it.

If your guy in Beara comes up as far as Kinsale by all means PM me his number... have one or two other feelers out as well locally so hopefully will find someone soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

There is a nice bit of work in getting that back right. I appears it has thorn away from around the pivot outer bush.
    takeuchi_tb125_2497.jpg

To do that right it will need to be taken off and MIG welding would be fine, that what welded it originally.

Yeh.. I paid 1800 I think for a final drive for that one.

I suppose if we did go down the replacement dipper route we'd have to have it bushed out to match the (already bushed out) top boom?

Must do the track adjusters as well while i think of it.

If your guy in Beara comes up as far as Kinsale by all means PM me his number... have one or two other feelers out as well locally so hopefully will find someone soon enough.

let me know and ill ask him. no idea what his welding is like

• Advertisement

stock> wrote: »
    There is a nice bit of work in getting that back right. I appears it has thorn away from around the pivot outer bush.

To do that right it will need to be taken off and MIG welding would be fine, that what welded it originally.

slightly better look at it here:

34804048226_4288542df7_c.jpg

Will bring it up to the shed and then decide whether it needs to come off or not. Seems to be plenty of access for welding.

Have a good inverter MIG here but not sure it would be powerful enough, same could be said for my welding skills...

Did it go suddenly it was it cracked all along?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Did it go suddenly it was it cracked all along?

The bottom of the cracks look well rusted so I'd say the start of the cracks were there a while

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I'm going to suggest something different to welding the cracks. It will be a bigger job though. Cut off the plates altogether and get a new pair of plates cut out and re-use the bushings.
    Here's why,
    there has been some dodgy plate steel coming from the far East, I reckon this is some of it, lads working with it every day can see it when they are cutting it, it just varies in strength too much.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    I'm going to suggest something different to welding the cracks. It will be a bigger job though. Cut off the plates altogether and get a new pair of plates cut out and re-use the bushings.
    Here's why,
    there has been some dodgy plate steel coming from the far East, I reckon this is some of it, lads working with it every day can see it when they are cutting it, it just varies in strength too much.

When i'm welding i can tell the quality of the steel, have been on jobs where price was the be all and end all and you could see that in the quality of the steel, was like welding plasticine in places!

I had a look at a 5 ton version today, is it cracked on a weld? or did it sheer through the middle of the plate?

I used to get scrap steel from the company I worked for. Very handy around the farm. Got some once that was part of a holding brace for a machined part from India. Tried to weld it at home. Complete crap.

When i'm welding i can tell the quality of the steel, have been on jobs where price was the be all and end all and you could see that in the quality of the steel, was like welding plasticine in places!

I had a look at a 5 ton version today, is it cracked on a weld? or did it sheer through the middle of the plate?

It sheared through the plate, although the last part of the crack is on the weld. Difficult to say how it went actually as it just peeled away as I was coming down off the pile, it wasn't under any particular stress (at the time)

There has certainly been no sign of a crack from the outside, was greasing the top up there only a day or two ago and looked at the whole arm - also as I said it was all rebushed last year - but it was a fairly shook machine when I bought it so I knew it wouldn't be free of issues like this.

Also it is fairly heavily (re) painted so you can't always be too certain.

The Takeuchi is a good machine, quite fast and a good digging reach although personally I miss the steel tracks I used to have on my (very) old Komatsu.

If that one hadn't already been sitting here on hire I probably would have bought a 5 or an 8 tonne but having said that it's handy enough for most things if you are prepared to take that little bit longer over it and it's great in tight sheds. It gets used one way or another almost every day - including in the feed passage in the winter months.

Interesting idea about the steel...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

visatorro wrote:
    What machine is it? It's gonna have to be taken off to weld anyway so ring around dealers and breakers, you'd be surprised there might be a boom of a yoke that got cab damage and was written off.

It's a takeuchi 125.. just under 3 tonnes.

Any guesses as to what a new dipper would cost?
    I can have a look here in the uk for you?? We run all takeuchis also...  Id say the 1.5 tonne takeeuchi is safely the best in its range. They take some hammering on the roads here and never an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Dupont

Try Alan Milne in newry. He's main dealer for them and I think I seen a couple in for breaking when I was last there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

A little bit of guntering here this morning. And not an angle grinder or welder required.... although the reason for the guntering does revolve around the need to weld!

I don't weld that often, but l did buy an auto darkening helmet some years ago. I think they are a great job for amateurs like me, but only when they are working!

It usually comes to life after a few hours in sun, so when it didn't l went googling and found out the source of the problem and a very helpful video on YouTube (isn't the internet great?!)

After spending a grand total of €3.98, 4 AAA batteries and a half hour tinkering, we are back in business!

So l basically l took the unit apart, removed the dead 3V lithium battery cells and soldered in battery holders to circuitboard. I hot glued the holders over the lenses in the mask. Now next time the batteries go, they are easily replaced!

• Advertisement

whats the best paint to paint a bucket with for a front loader. Without having to undercoat it.

Hammerite?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

I was hoping to skip the primer route but maybe that's the way to go.

Primer and top coat?

Castle paints is up beside ya. Oxide

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I was hoping to skip the primer route but maybe that's the way to go.

Primer and top coat?

Two coats of primer and it's good for years. Worth running over the metal with a blow lamp and chasing the moisture off moments before painting.

Top coat if you wish, don't think Lowe make colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,155 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I bought Lowe metal paint last month and the shop had 5 colours in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Base price wrote: »

About here near the sea if u use only primer zink182 it will rust in no time. Is the lowe paint better

Base price wrote: »

where was that?

satstheway wrote: »
    About here near the sea if u use only primer zink182 it will rust in no time. Is the lowe paint better
    Don't know as we're not near the sea.

• Advertisement

where was that?
    Arro store (Keiths) in Arvagh.

Advertisement