Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Don't think I showed this before. Spotted in a local tyre place a couple of years ago.

gbYkByE.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Don't think I showed this before. Spotted in a local tyre place a couple of years ago.

]

You can't bate Cavan ha ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Made a cabinet for the compressor to save my sanity and hearing. Realized I'd need a cooling fan for the air intake.
    Fitted a 120mm fan infront of the air inlet.
    All it cost me was for the fan, filter and connections, €30.
    Able to hear the radio over the compressor and fan running. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Wouldn't like to do 40kph on that yoke.:mad:

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Wouldn't like to do 40kph on that yoke.:mad:

8210 with a TW15 engine ..... :0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Made a cabinet for the compressor to save my sanity and hearing. Realized I'd need a cooling fan for the air intake.
    Fitted a 120mm fan infront of the air inlet.
    All it cost me was for the fan, filter and connections, €30.
    Able to hear the radio over the compressor and fan running. :)

Cabinet is a good idea noise wise mickey! I'm a little puzzled with the fan though, what is it's purpose, is it for circulating air inside in cabinet oris it pulling air from the workshop into the cabinet? I just have it vented through outside wall so it's pulling in clean air from outside.

I just reread your post.... does it help pull the air in from outside? Excellent idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Muckit wrote: »
    Cabinet is a good idea noise wise mickey! I'm a little puzzled with the fan though, what is it's purpose, is it for circulating air inside in cabinet oris it pulling air from the workshop into the cabinet? I just have it vented through outside wall so it's pulling in clean air from outside.

The compressor needs 183L/minute of clean air. If it just kept pulling in the warm air from the back of the compressor it wouldn't last pissing time.
    Workshop isn't in it's permanent location yet so I can't go drilling holes.

I'm trying to take the gear of the shaft of the power steering tractor pump. Just about got a gear puller on it. Bloody thing wont shift. Tightened it as much as I can. Have to replace the shaft seal. It's leaking oil down into the engine. Any tips? Heat I suppose. :mad:

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Was there a circlip holding it on

dzer2 wrote: »
    Was there a circlip holding it on
    No, a nut with a lock-washer underneath. Both off.

• Advertisement

Are you using a hydraulic pullers

If you are using a Hydraulic Pullers then you need some heat but if you are using a manual bolt one tighten it as hard as you can and hit the nut on the screw a tap of a hammer it might move with a shock

This one.

dzer2 wrote: »
    If you are using a Hydraulic Pullers then you need some heat but if you are using a manual bolt one tighten it as hard as you can and hit the nut on the screw a tap of a hammer it might move with a shock

I tried hitting like that alright. Left it soaking in WD40 so I'll try it again tomorrow. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Attie

Patsy you could put it in the freezer tonight and tomorrow heat the cog quickly with pullers in place which might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭emaherx

Attie wrote: »
    Patsy you could put it in the freezer tonight and tomorrow heat the cog quickly with pullers in place which might help.

Tried that once....... nearly got a divorce :D

Some more the joys of metal fatigue, Gear lever on 390T cracked, only noticed it because couldn't change ranges as lever was bending and hitting off mudguard.

34680942840_5abb34d676_c.jpg

34224844744_21ac87cbed_c.jpg

Some proper guntering done in a hurry with no measuring but managed to fit nicely.

34904257142_f4e0a7db29_c.jpg

35068624375_6636c0afeb_c.jpg

Not the best welding that could have been done but it shouldn't be an issue.

35068618775_ed0212496f_c.jpg

34680934470_1f9bdd1200_c.jpg

I'm trying to take the gear of the shaft of the power steering tractor pump. Just about got a gear puller on it. Bloody thing wont shift. Tightened it as much as I can. Have to replace the shaft seal. It's leaking oil down into the engine. Any tips? Heat I suppose. :mad:
    Well I got it off but did serious damage to the shaft. I tightened the puller and the tip of the jacking screw split the end of the shaft. Meant that the nut could not be put back on. Rang the guy I got the seals from and he said to heat the gear with boiling water. It wirked. Welded it back on instead of nut ans its running away fine. Time will tell. I should have got the mechanic to do it. Nothing beats experience.

Well I got it off but did serious damage to the shaft. I tightened the puller and the tip of the hacking screw split the end of the shaft. Meant that the nut could not be put back on.

How serious? could a die be run over the threads?

edit: oh, just seen your edit...... you went for complete and otter guntering.... hopefully it will last and the heat of the welder has not damaged the new seals!

Welded it bit by bit and cooled it with water as I went. Shaft was worn from the old seal too so fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭visatorro

emaherx wrote: »
    Some more the joys of metal fatigue, Gear lever on 390T cracked, only noticed it because couldn't change ranges as lever was bending and hitting off mudguard.

34680942840_5abb34d676_c.jpg

34224844744_21ac87cbed_c.jpg

Some proper guntering done in a hurry with no measuring but managed to fit nicely.

34904257142_f4e0a7db29_c.jpg

35068624375_6636c0afeb_c.jpg

Not the best welding that could have been done but it shouldn't be an issue.

35068618775_ed0212496f_c.jpg

34680934470_1f9bdd1200_c.jpg

I thought the first picture was a 3 wood and you were having a bad day on the course!!!

visatorro wrote: »
    I thought the first picture was a 3 wood and you were having a bad day on the course!!!

Ha ha, I might not be the best welder fabricator around but I definitely wouldn't know what to do with a 3 wood! Unless it would make a good gear stick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,155 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Nice to see another tractor growing a bit of vegetation.

Base price wrote: »
    Nice to see another tractor growing a bit of vegetation.

Which mine? The grass is actually on the ground under the tractor :) just with the gear lever boot removed you can see straight through the cab floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,155 ✭✭✭✭Base price

emaherx wrote: »
    Which mine? The grass is actually on the ground under the tractor :) just with the gear lever boot removed you can see straight through the cab floor.
    Ah jaysus I need to make an appointment with spec savers.
    In my defence, I'm using the phone cause my laptop is fecked.

Candle Wax to loosen seized nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

I see Wholesale Welding Supplies have a 140 amp Parweld inverter welder on offer at €125, any opinions lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭fastrac94

mayota wrote: »
    I see Wholesale Welding Supplies have a 140 amp Parweld inverter welder on offer at €125, any opinions lads?

Says it work of a 3.5 kva genny,nearly worth it just to keep it for that work alone...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

fastrac94 wrote: »
    Says it work of a 3.5 kva genny,nearly worth it just to keep it for that work alone...

Use a paraweld here and no bothers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭visatorro

Reggie. wrote: »
    Use a paraweld here and no bothers

Will that work off single phase?

Advertisement