Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shutter Island

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I just wanted it to be over so I could go home and watch a good movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Josef Fritzl

I enjoyed this film. I know a person who was able to guess the ending based on the TV ads alone, however I went to this film without having seen any of these ads so I wasn't expecting the twist.

I understand the criticism aimed at it, but I thought it was a good film and would highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Disliked

I was expectin a final twist at the end, when he said something about
    Living as a nobody, or dying as somebody. I thought he actually did know what was goin on, and would do a legger and get shot, to die before he got poked in the eye

That dramatic music was so out of place, and it was wayyyy too long

unreggd wrote: »
    Disliked

I was expectin a final twist at the end, when he said something about
    Living as a nobody, or dying as somebody. I thought he actually did know what was goin on, and would do a legger and get shot, to die before he got poked in the eye

That dramatic music was so out of place, and it was wayyyy too long
    Had he ran away it would have completely ruined the end. The ending is so powerful for the simple reason that he knows he is sane and decides that he would rather live with no memory of his past than try and live knowing what occurred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Timmywalldo

Do you believe DiCaprio was mentally insane .... or do you believe it was a conspiracy to convince him he was insane ??

At the end of the movie he says "" is it better do die a good man or live a crazy insane one "" So was he executed ???

plz help .... im a little confused :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

He was insane,
    but at the end of the movie it is suggested that he is cured when he says "is to die a good man or live as a crazy one".

Basically he is cured and now realises what has happened to his family, but he can't deal with the pain and so pretends to act "insane" so that he can be lobotomized.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Yeah, I thought it was a little confusing too.

The way I saw it, Leo was being walked towards the lobotomy chamber, and I'm guessing that the death he mentioned was an intellectual one. :rolleyes:

To be honest, movies like this and Multiplicity annoy me. Events build to a crescendo, and then they pull a rabbit out of the hat which renders the previous 2 hours meaningless.

Plus, I have a credibility issue with the movie. We're asked to believe that the entire staff of this Alcatraz-like island prison suspended everything to indulge in a bout of complex role playing, giving a severely mentally ill man the run of the island as he runs amok, placing lives in danger... and all because Ben Kingsley wants Leo to feel better. Hmm. I thought the final payoff would be the revelation that Leo actually WAS a US marshall who, for the sake of national security, simply couldn't be allowed off the island.

Has anyone read the book?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

The way I saw it, Leo was being walked towards the lobotomy chamber, and I'm guessing that the death he mentioned was an intellectual one. :rolleyes:

To be honest, movies like this and Multiplicity annoy me. Events build to a crescendo, and then they pull a rabbit out of the hat which renders the previous 2 hours meaningless.

Plus, I have a credibility issue with the movie. We're asked to believe that the entire staff of this Alcatraz-like island prison suspended everything to indulge in a bout of complex role playing, giving a severely mentally ill man the run of the island as he runs amok, placing lives in danger... and all because Ben Kingsley wants Leo to feel better. Hmm. I thought the final payoff would be the revelation that Leo actually WAS a US marshall who, for the sake of national security, simply couldn't be allowed off the island.

The thing is though,
    i dont think they actually suspended everything in the island just for him, you just get to see it all from Leo's perspective. Which is pure delusion from his sickness. Like for instance when he kept asking to question some of the staff and Kingsley says its out of the question, but he isnt told why he cant, Leo just makes up and assumes its a conspiracy. He only got the staff to play along to his questioning/interogation.

And his cop partner turns out to be his therapist, again he made up in his head and we only find out at the end.

So most of the movie is depicted through Leo's delusional mind until pretty much the tower scene where all the real truths come out.

I loved this movie, and the subtle give aways to whats actually transpiring.

Can't wait to watch it again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

I wasnt in the least bit surprised in this movie. Was kinda bored throughout. Thought that DiCaprio was pretty good in it but he movie as a whole was boring. Shame though coz I really like Ruffalo and the idea was good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I'd recommend watching Identity rather than this, better realised more interesting twist. That said i thought shutter island looked very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Was it an experiment all along, did they sucessfully convince him that he was delusional when in fact he wasn't and really was an employed US marshal? Was the asylum we see at the end really a figment of his imagination as generated through the drugging, suggestion and so forth? I think it was perhaps, especially the way the last scene shows the lighthouse. Was this the power of suggestion operating here and was the asylum really run by the CIA? Kinda like Total Recall with the uncertainty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Moved a few posts here from reviews, and merged the two seperate discussion threads (keeping things tidy :)).
    Also: SPOILERS! Not everyone has seen the film yet, so please be considerate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Does anyone know if this film is out on DVD yet? Could have sworn I heard an ad on the radio saying it was out in DVD but checked HMV today and they said it isn't out until the 30th, perhaps it was an xtra vision ad I heard?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

i think its available to rent as far as i know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

one of the best films of the year imo 10/10 leo and marty together always on top form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Bella_purple

and what did you understand:
    it was all in Leo's head or it was true just that they wanted him to become psichiatrically ill? Me, I thought it was real and he got trapped.
    But the movie is so well done that I have my doubts, still...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 emacc

Its a great story line . Built well .. Lots of twisting plots..
    And the whole way through your trying to make some sense out of the stroyline..
    Until baam.. Everything that has happened was a dream of Di Caprios .. :O

I now know why we were never allowed to end essays in school with "I woke up and it was all a dream"

If making sense of the film is a priority dont go, because there is none.
    But if your a DI Caprio fan check it out for the sake of it because only your undieing love for Di Caprio will make the film worthwhile in the end !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

I would have given this 8.5/10 I was told there was twist in it before I saw it but I figured out what the twist would be ten mins in.

But Di Caprio was great in this movie really getting to like him if only I forget the Titanic

• Registered Users Posts: 7 emacc

Yess ! the rabbit in the hat that made everyting in the alst 2 hours pointless!!
    Id been doing my best to keep up with the story line until baaam !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭richy1

watched shutter island few days ago. absolutely brilliant, a real different film.i especially love the end
    when leo de caprio actually hasnt reverted back to thinking he is a cop, but pretends he is,because he knows what he did was wrong.
    10/10 film. de caprio and scorcese LEGENDS

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Sorry to ask again, but if not currently out, does anyone know when this will be available to buy?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Sorry to ask again, but if not currently out, does anyone know when this will be available to buy?

Zavvi tells us it's 2nd August 2010. It was released in the US June 8th. Isn't that lovely :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Does anyone know if this film is out on DVD yet? Could have sworn I heard an ad on the radio saying it was out in DVD but checked HMV today and they said it isn't out until the 30th, perhaps it was an xtra vision ad I heard?

It's an Xtravision exclusive, out to rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

richy1 wrote: »
    watched shutter island few days ago. absolutely brilliant, a real different film.
    i especially love the end when leo de caprio actually hasnt reverted back to thinking he is a cop, but pretends he is,because he knows what he did was wrong.
    10/10 film. de caprio and scorcese LEGENDS

I HATE THAT ENDING. Much prefer the book's ending where it's
    much the same, except he doesn't give that OTT final line...you're left to wonder has he reverted?...or is he just playing like he has...?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭richy1

is the book worth reading or is it abit pointess after seeing the movie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Read the book after the movie and loved it. You'll breeze through it too. Makes me think that the movie was far too long.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just a quick note: We've had to spoiler tag a few posts in the last few days. I know the film has been out for a while now, but please be considerate when you're talking about major plot developments - not everyone has seen it yet.

You can add spoiler tags using the last button on the main 'reply to thread' screen, or simply use
    followed by [\spoiler] (replace forward slash with back slash i.e. /).
    Like so!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

***BEWARE***
    ***SPOILERS IN LINK***

This article is from today's Guardian...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sleazus wrote: »
    I actually thought about DeNiro as Branagh's Frankenstein when I saw him, with the scar and all.

I thought it actually was De Niro for a minute, then I thought it was Christopher Meloni. Is there some factory where they produce these lookalikes?

Advertisement