Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shutter Island

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Love the book too, and the trailer looks fantastic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Saw the trailer this morning, a bit of a departure for Scorcese? (sorry, couldnt resist! :o) Looks good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

I'd steer clear of the trailer on youtube, it's already crawling with spoilers in the comments. People are so nice :p

• Registered Users Posts: 85,279 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

looks like its finally get released here in a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I wonder are the constant delays a good or a bad thing , wasnt it originally a november release date i seen the ads in the cinema back in september

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

I'm currently reading the book at the moment and if it's anything to go by I can't wait for the movie!

I don't even wanna watch the trailer untill I finish the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Book was class. Absolute class. Bought it in McCarran Airport in Vegas on my way home, thinking to myself, "Now, that'll do me for the two legs of my trip" (Vegas to Newark, then Newark to Dublin)... Had the bloody thing finished before we landed in Newark!!!!!! It was that good, I couldn't stop reading it for a second!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

promising!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Sick of this trailer at this stage, and may very well not see the movie as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_LilyRose_

trailer looks brilliant..di caprio is a great actor, his south african accent in Blood Diamond is excellent...so whats the book about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

_LilyRose_ wrote: »
    trailer looks brilliant..di caprio is a great actor, his south african accent in Blood Diamond is excellent...so whats the book about?

Try to avoid spoilers as much as possible so maybe avoid the trailers.

Basically all you need to know is that the movie has two U.S Marshals (one of which is Di Caprio) investigating a disappearence of a woman from on an island hospital for the criminally insane in 1954. The marshalls start to get a bit suspicious as to how the patient "vanished" and whether or not they can trust the administrator and wardens of the hospital so its very intriuging

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

The trailer is ridiculous, it gives loads away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

Dennis Lehane is an amazing writer. All his books rock:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

_LilyRose_ wrote: »
    ..di caprio is a great actor, his south african accent in Blood Diamond is excellent

I think he's a pretty good actor but wasn't his accent in BD absolutely slated by South Africans?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭brk3

Does anyone know if this is out in Ireland yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Opens here on 12 March (says Movies at Dundrum).

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Been put back a few times now...no?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

To say this has divided critics in the US would be an understatement.

Ebert has said "No one who lives and breathes movies would dream of missing it" Giving it 3 1/2 out of 4 stars.

While the Chicago Tribune called it "classy, well acted junk" Giving it just 2 stars.

The NY Times also called it "terrible"

Should be interesting

Well so long as it was well acted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

BBC
    Shutter Island, Martin Scorsese's new film with Leonardo DiCaprio, has topped the US and Canada box office chart with first weekend takings of $40.2m (£26m).
    The dark thriller stars DiCaprio as a cop investigating a disappearance at a hospital for the criminally insane.

It had been scheduled for release last October before being abruptly bumped to February by its distributor Paramount.
    Last week's top movie, romantic comedy Valentine's Day, fell down to two, with Avatar still going strong at three.

Worldwide, James Cameron's sci-fi epic has now made just short of $2.5

billion (£1.6 billion).
    Shutter Island's better than expected performance represents a personal best for Scorsese, the Oscar-winning director of Taxi Driver and Raging Bull.

His biggest opener in North America before this weekend came in 2006 when crime drama The Departed made $26.9m (£17.4m) in its first weekend on release.
    o.gif

Paramount's vice-chairman Rob Moore has defended putting Shutter Island's release back, a decision that made it ineligible for this year's Academy Awards.

"We knew more time was only going to help us get the word out and get a broader audience," he said.
    As well as Scorsese's film performed, however, it was trounced on a screen-for-screen basis by Roman Polanski's latest The Ghost Writer.

Opening at just four cinemas in New York and Los Angeles, the political thriller made $179,000 (£115,686) over the weekend - an average of $44,750 (£28,921) per screen.

In contrast, Shutter Island - which opened in almost 3,000 cinemas - made an average of just $13,440 (£8,686) per screen.
    Polanski's arrest in Switzerland last year may have stoked interest in the title, which tells of a writer hired to "ghost" a former Prime Minister's memoirs.
    Ewan McGregor and Pierce Brosnan star in the film, to be released in the UK on 16 April as The Ghost.
    Shutter Island is out in the UK on 12 March.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭chalad07

I saw this movie last night, and to be honest i'd have preferred if i'd stayed away from the Trailers. There are some spoilers in them, but really not too much.

Overall good movie - but i can see why critics are divided. Leo is excellent as always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Awesome film, I really enjoyed it. For awhile the film was going along a bit aimlessly but the last 30 minutes or so are absolutely brilliant. It's embarassing that Paramount execs sat down, watched The Lovely Bones and watched Shutter Island, and decided that The Lovely Bones would be a better bet for the Oscars. Ben Kingsley, Mark Ruffalo and DiCaprio are brilliant in the film.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I'm torn between seeing this and green zone tonight.

I'm a fan of both leading men so it's really a coinflip

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Can't wait to see this, it looks excellent :D Love Mark Ruffalo and Leo

Is this the opening weekend? Tonight's all booked up and Saturday is filling up fast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Alicat wrote: »
    Can't wait to see this, it looks excellent :D Love Mark Ruffalo and Leo

Is this the opening weekend? Tonight's all booked up and Saturday is filling up fast

It is indeed, at least it's jousting with Green Zone, I'm sure both won't be fully booked. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Wasn't there a film back in the 70's or 80's set in an asylum in a castle, that had pretty much the exact same plot twist? Something like "The Castle" or "The Fortress" or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

This will be solid enough I'd say, trailer looks inviting..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

Excellent!!!!! so alike the book and i loved it lol :D:D:D:D really good use of 6 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Great film, loved the book and wasn't let down. Only complaint I would have is that 1. the hallucination and flashback scenes were a little drawn out and 2. the scene with Leo and the Warden was unnecessary. However despite that I think they handled the ending a lot better than the book and Leo was as usual, excellent. Very impressed with Jackie Earl Haley's performance too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Im not good with horror movies in general, i can deal with gore but what i cant deal with are jumpy scenes, ie quiet, quiet quiet quiet and BAMMM big loud noise!!!!

Are there any scenes like this in Shutter Island. And yes i am a big girls blouse! :p

Advertisement