Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shutter Island

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Hogzy wrote: »
    Im not good with horror movies in general, i can deal with gore but what i cant deal with are jumpy scenes, ie quiet, quiet quiet quiet and BAMMM big loud noise!!!!

Are there any scenes like this in Shutter Island. And yes i am a big girls blouse! :p

A few but it's more tense then out and out scary, saying that I like scary movies so I may not be the best of judgement!!

We went to see this on Friday, we both really enjoyed it, good solid tense movie with good acting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭weemcd

Have to say i was blown away by this film, never felt my har stand on end or tension like it in a film (the road to an extent but not to the same degree.), the score is truly chilling, I had no idea what way things were going to pan out. I had really high expectations for the film and it lived up to everything I'd hoped I'd see. Amzing scorsese is still putting out films of this quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Loved it! Although part of the ending was a bit ruined for me because I guessed after a clue in Empire's review it was still brilliant. I'd totally watch it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,279 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I really liked this film - Leo is a damn fine actor and extremely easy on the eye :p

One question
    Who was the character in the cave that was played by Patricia Clarkson? I see that the other Rachel one was a nurse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭happymondays

Hogzy wrote: »
    Im not good with horror movies in general, i can deal with gore but what i cant deal with are jumpy scenes, ie quiet, quiet quiet quiet and BAMMM big loud noise!!!!

Are there any scenes like this in Shutter Island. And yes i am a big girls blouse! :p

well its not a horror movie, it more a thriller so not really scary.
    though it was average 3/5

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I saw this saturday and was impressed. DiCaprio is actually very good in this. I think the tension was adequately maintianed throughout, and it was very atmospheric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sleazus

Loved it - Scorcese's love letter to the old RKO horror films. Light on plot, heavy on mood and atmosphere.

Also, am I the only one who read this as Scorcese's Holocaust film. He was reportedly offered Schindler's List, but turned it down recommending a Jewish director. Aside from
    the scenes at Dachau
    , I also thought the the underlying themes of
    denial and the inability to confront the horror of what happened
    seem to reflect a Roman Catholic perspective on the atrocities.

But maybe I'm talking out my backside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

humanji wrote: »
    Wasn't there a film back in the 70's or 80's set in an asylum in a castle, that had pretty much the exact same plot twist? Something like "The Castle" or "The Fortress" or something?

The Ninth Configuration??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I wasn't sure if i liked the movie or not after i came out of it. I had an idea of the twist when
    teddy talked to George. The way George talked about teddy especially when he kept lighting the matches was what gave it away for me
    but there were so many little clues throughout the film.

After 2 days I've decided i loved it. The way the ending was explained was very well done considering it took 50 pages in the book i hear.

I have 2 questions though.1
    Was there ever a fire? Thats how his wife died he said but really he shot her... did he burn the house after? I'm trying to remember back to the scene in the fields when Teddy and Butch go to the cemetery to find Rachel, they talk about how Andrew was caught, anyone remember the conversation?

2. Just want to know peoples opinions on this one.
    Do you think he restarted the cycle again or does he remember everything? Imo it's the latter.. just from the question he asked Butch "would you prefer to live your life as a monster or die a good man?" Which were his 2 scenarios.

tok9 wrote: »
    2. Just want to know peoples opinions on this one.
    Do you think he restarted the cycle again or does he remember everything? Imo it's the latter.. just from the question he asked Butch "would you prefer to live your life as a monster or die a good man?" Which were his 2 scenarios.

I took that ending as implying that
    he was aware that he would be labotomised if he couldn't be cured - and he figured it was better "to die" as a noble and misguided Federal Marshall who had done everything he could rather than live on as a failure of a husband and a father. I think he knows the truth, but to admit it would destroy him, so he's still playing along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

tricky D wrote: »
    Tht's the one. I think I was getting the title mixed up with another film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭AttackThePoster

Re: Shutter Island
    How come there's snow in the Dachau scenes?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭randomuser77

tok9 wrote: »
    I have 2 questions though.1
    Was there ever a fire? Thats how his wife died he said but really he shot her... did he burn the house after? I'm trying to remember back to the scene in the fields when Teddy and Butch go to the cemetery to find Rachel, they talk about how Andrew was caught, anyone remember the conversation?
    I don't think we were told that there actually had been a fire in reality. There was nothing to suggest that he burnt the house after murdering his wife either. As re the scene with Teddy and "Butch" (it was "Chuck" right?) I'm pretty sure that he told Chuck that Andrew was caught after he set a fire in a school that killed a little girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

oh ya sorry Chuck not Butch... don't know where that came from

• Registered Users Posts: 85,279 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Elias Koteas reminded me of De Niro in Cape Fear in his scene

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Elias Koteas reminded me of De Niro in Cape Fear in his scene

I actually thought about DeNiro as Branagh's Frankenstein when I saw him, with the scar and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

I read the book at the weekend and just viewed the film. Overall I think the film was an excellent adaptation of the book but..
    That Ending ****ing sucked! How many times have we seen 'it was all in his head" or "just a dream". It would have been much better if the conspiracy turned out to be true at the very end. Utterly dissapointing conclusion to what otherwise was a gripping thriller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

I don't think we were told that there actually had been a fire in reality. There was nothing to suggest that he burnt the house after murdering his wife either. As re the scene with Teddy and "Butch" (it was "Chuck" right?) I'm pretty sure that he told Chuck that Andrew was caught after he set a fire in a school that killed a little girl.
    There was a fire which is why he took them to the cabin in the woods. The fire happened in the apartament and not the cabin

That Ending ****ing sucked! How many times have we seen 'it was all in his head" or "just a dream". It would have been much better if the conspiracy turned out to be true at the very end. Utterly dissapointing conclusion to what otherwise was a gripping thriller.

I love the ending, just because well... it's flat out ballsy.

Anyway, the whole
    conspiracy stuff has an extra layour of historical basis, because we know from declassified documents on the history of the Cold War era that the American government and the MK Ultra project were actively experimenting on the American public (as in people living in their own homes, completely unaware), let alone inmates. One can actually only imagine what could have happened behind locked doors.
    Where do you think LSD came from?

I like the fact that these sharp (and, to some horrific degree, correct) observations come from an insane character, even though
    he's wrong about the particulars
    . It kinda hammers home the key theme that in order to understand or comprehend the twentieth century, you'd have to be nuts to some degree or other.

Whats ballsy about it?
    Its a totally unoriginal concept that has been done 20 times before but only better? :confused: Its also a total rip off of "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari", which was filmed in the 20s, and has itself been ripped of countless times..

A Swiss Doctor named Albert Hoffmann discovered LSD by the way, not the american government..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Is the book title the same as the film?
    He didn't start any fires but his wife deliberately set fire to their apartment and so they moved to the house by the lake. There were elements of what actually happened found in his delusions. On some level he would always know what happened as he had the two breakthroughs but the truth is just too horrific for him to live with.

I really enjoyed this film and wouldn't mind reading the book. There were a muppets who kept talking and asking 'what happening' during the screening.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,549 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Saw this last night and it was very poor.
    I guessed the plot twist just by reading the synopsis in the lobby of the cinema ffs.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

just saw this , great acting doesn't save it, poor, drawn out and weak, a waste of my time

I really enjoyed this film and wouldn't mind reading the book. There were a muppets who kept talking and asking 'what happening' during the screening.

Book is defo better than the film. better build up of suspence, and a more subtle approach to the twist.

Since you already know whats going to happen though there isnt much point in reading the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

My god, I just wish Scorsesse would pay attention to editing and continuity. The editing here was absolutely AWFUL. The first scene on the boat had jump cuts galore.

Also, anyone notice when Teddy was interviewing the woman and she asked for a glass of water. Chuck handed it over and she went to tak a sip from it, but there was nothing in her hand! I thought, "fair enough, she's crazy and maybe she only thinks she has a glass" but in the very next shot, she places the glass down on the table.

I found it really hard to enjoy this when the editing was that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭antod

Saw this last night and it was very poor.
    I guessed the plot twist just by reading the synopsis in the lobby of the cinema ffs.:mad:

yeah would have to agree with you there watched it last week ,i guessed the plot twist myself and that piece of classical music they kept on using was most annoying, a very average movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Book is defo better than the film. better build up of suspence, and a more subtle approach to the twist.

Since you already know whats going to happen though there isnt much point in reading the book.

One of the things I liked about the book, which is shown but never followed up in the film is
    Ruffalo's character fumbling with his gun when they have to remove them for the guards. In the book, when Di Caprio's character begins doubting Ruffalo's identity and credentials he starts thinking back at how odd it was like he wasn't used to handling a gun. In the film we see an odd reaction to Di Caprio when he fumbles with it but no mention of it, which is a shame as it's a nice little touch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Co45

Quick Q
    Did the women Di Caprio's character met in the cave actually exist? If she did exist how did they know Di Caprio would find her? And why was she telling him to stop taking his medication when surely they'd want him on it?

This film promised so much. I was so excited and at the start when they are getting a tour of the island I was just sitting there going this is going to be epic. Sadly other than some great performances it just doesn't live up to what I expected.

Average-Ro wrote: »
    Also, anyone notice when Teddy was interviewing the woman and she asked for a glass of water. Chuck handed it over and she went to tak a sip from it, but there was nothing in her hand! I thought, "fair enough, she's crazy and maybe she only thinks she has a glass" but in the very next shot, she places the glass down on the table.

That was kinda the point of it - to make the audience slight uneasy and confused. Things are there one minute and gone the next.

Like in his conversation with Noyce, Noyce changes position depending on the camera angle (particularly his arms). I thought it was great, an effective way of demonstrating the uncertainty of anything during the course of the movie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭AttackThePoster

I see where you're coming from Sleazus and I'd hope that you're correct but I'm not 100% buying it. I did think afterwards that it was purposely done but if that really was the case, well, it didn't really work as it annoyed viewers more than confused them. I say this as I've read a number of reviews and comments and they've all mentioned the bizarre editing going on here.

Advertisement