Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG discussion thread

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭galway.gaa

errlloyd wrote: »
    The planes question involved getting the inner triangle on the 45 degree set square.

I almost certainly did it wrong, because my set square was PERFECTLY 60-30... Someone explain.
    you found the through shape of the wrong set square

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

galway.gaa wrote: »
    you found the through shape of the wrong set square

Nah I defo didn't. I triple check, it was ABC (A and C were the same height in elevation roysh, with b halfway between and below)

I used colours and the whole malarkey. I think gradual innacuarcies led to legendary results. (For example my dihedral angle finding Aux didn't line up too well... lol banterous really.)

Nah I defo didn't. I triple check, it was ABC (A and C were the same height in elevation roysh, with b halfway between and below)

I used colours and the whole malarkey. I think gradual innacuarcies led to legendary results. (For example my dihedral angle finding Aux didn't line up too well... lol banterous really.)
    roysh????? explain???? well if ya say so but thats what sounds like you did cause the other one was exactly 30/60 like you got:eek:

roysh = right... Banter... Sorry your from Galway (No wonder your so ****ing good at DCG, I want a map showing A1 prevalance cause tbh I think Galway dominate it, any decent teacher I have ever had has been from Galway.)

Nah I dunno what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

ah i thaught higher DCG was a disaster, even with a project i dont think i did well at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

The planes question involved getting the inner triangle on the 45 degree set square.

I almost certainly did it wrong, because my set square was PERFECTLY 60-30... Someone explain.

You most definitely got the other set square. There is no amount of experimental error that would cause a 45 set square to become a 60/30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

No matter how wrong you were, if you followed the correct method, you would still get an isosceles triangle. Unless you didn't follow the correct method, anything is liable to happen, if that is the case no one will be able to figure out what you did wrong without seeing it, which is obviously impossible.

I'm still quite surprised at the generally unhappy response to the paper. I can't comment on the questions that I didn't do, but the short questions were nothing different to what was on the sample paper / pres except for the center of curvature, but people still could have don the other 3.

Section B questions 2 and 3 were nothing too unusual. Part d of the planes might have caused confusion but every exam has to have questions to challenge people, and in fairness, all that was needed was to find the true shape of one of the planes which every student should be able to do. The interpenatration was a carbon copy of every other one that appears so there were no surprises there.

I can only comment on Q1 and Q2 of section c. I thought the roads question was way easier than the expected standard. The mining was unusual, and I'll admit that I was lucky our teacher showed us, but understanding with what a strike was I think it mightn't be too hard to figure out. I mean it is a mining question so you are obviously going to have to get an edge view and stuff.
    The Structures question was also easier than the sample papers, the hyperbaloid of revolution simply had to be inscribed into a rectangle, whilst the hyperbolic surface was as standard as could be. The plane directors was going to come up so if that caught people it is due to lack of preparation rather than it being a bad paper.

did anyone else find the wording of the dynamic mechanisms question confusing?
    this is the only part of the long questions i didnt get right. i thought it was way too wordy. pitty cause i think itll cost me my A1

Hmm I disagree with no amount of experimental error could get me that wrong, and work out so perfectly. I just didn't do the wrong triangle, I checked about 5 times. But just to be sure the 45, the one were getting was inverted, in the center of the first elevation kinda like this V

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭munchie14

i found that question worded oddly (B2),
    you no the mechanisms questions, is it woth marks do ya think to have plan elevation etc wrote on question c4b , and is there anything that should be wrote on the a part,, thought meself to to these questions so there was no one t telll me

• Advertisement

I've heard no marks go for writing or page setup.

Hmm did anyone else have to put answered in "irish / english" on the paper even though they didn't write a word, would I still have got the extra marks for doing it in irish.

i was in to minds weither to write irish or english on it,, then i thought like the pink sheet was in english sooo:rolleyes:

Your project would have had to have been done through Irish aswell as getting an Irish paper, to get any of the benefits on offer.

That's not true actually. Projects are all done through English, this is because anyone could very easily just use a translator to do their projects. Similarly to get the marks, I could be wrong, but I think you only need to "Answer in English" the only reason an Irish paper is on offer, is because it legally has to be. How do I know. Simple you don't hand up your paper for most exams do you.

So your saying that someone could get short questions written in English answer them normally hand them up and expect to get extra marks for ticking a box saying ''done through Irish''? I doubt it.

Well actually what I am asking is exactly that, however I don't accept your reasons of "no the questions were in English".

I have never been offered and Irish question book.

Anyway, all that to one side, its absolute piss to work out what the question wants, especially with a 3d graphic there already, so just gimme the damn Irish one, if its worth 10% of what I didn't get thats like a grade or so. (5% grade, not a 15% grade)

you no that sheet we got after english paper 1,, it has what language you requested to do the exm in on the back
    round febuary we would have filled in a form with the language we wanted if memory serves me right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

munchie14 wrote: »
    you no that sheet we got after english paper 1,, it has what language you requested to do the exm in on the back
    round febuary we would have filled in a form with the language we wanted if memory serves me right

Yeh, if you didnt request an irish paper, none would have been sent out.

The only reason you tick what language it is is so they know what corrector to send it to basically. You wont get marks for just ticking irish on a subject like dcg. You would have had to have the paper through irish and they have records of who did/didnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Craigsy

Also, if you choose to do it through Irish you have to do all your exams through Irish (bar the obvious langs). Can't just go in on the day and say i'll do it in irish for extra marks

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Col Man

And apparently when you do stuff through Irish, you can't just write numbers anymore, you have to write out the Irish word for the number.

Lol sorry, that was a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Anyway, all that to one side, its absolute piss to work out what the question wants, especially with a 3d graphic there already, so just gimme the damn Irish one, if its worth 10% of what I didn't get thats like a grade or so. (5% grade, not a 15% grade)

Listen, fair play for doing it in Irish, but I ask you this, someone who sits an exam in Polish or similar? Say there mother tongue isn't Irish or English, should they be given extra marks? I think so. For all the discussion about cheating people out of grades I'm surprised no one has mention that just because you do something in Irish your automatically entitled to 10% extra.

That isn't a personal attack but it makes my blood boil when people get extra % for Irish. I wasn't sent a a Gael scoile, sadly I couldn't make that choice at 5 years of age, so why should I be at a disadvanage for something I had no say in?

Its a TG exam and Irish has no place in it. Get over it.

Oh lol, I have been exempt from Irish for 5 years, I don't speak a word of it. Yeah I agree, you almost feel that papers should have to be printed in every first language taking the exam. But I guess the advantage comes back to them when they take their first language as a second language and get 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Col Man

Just to clarify ironclaw, he didn't actually do it through Irish, lol.

Meh, Irish is a dying language.... dying I say... And our sad little government must try their best to stop it dying...

You're right though, it's bent that they get extra %. Although I think it's like 10% of what they didn't get, so like if you get 60%, you "didn't" get 40%, so you get an extra 4%, for a total of 64%. So not extremely useful, but meh.

Advertisement