Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

There's no solutions to the department sample paper online is there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Huskey27

so whos covering what? a friend of mine is just sticking to the sample in the folens exam book

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Jello wrote: »

No, ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

Jello wrote: »
    If there is I am not aware of it.
    The state examinations commission rarely publishes solutions to their sample papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Anyone do that crank question on the sample paper... Is this ok

(Circle added with paint cause it was too faint to scan... I also negatived it to make it clearer)

scan0017a.jpg?t=1244732825

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭galway.gaa

could somebody tell me was the question on planes and traces in the mock asking for the angle of inclination to the vertical or horizontal plane? which one was it asking for?
    i would do it myself but our stupid teacher took the paper back up at the end and never gave it back to us:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭munchie14

http://www.folens.ie/resources/download.php?res_id=130
    is this the only solution to this question
    ive got someting diffeent, less revolutions like, and im convienced im correct
    dcgsol2009 is password

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Huskey27

yea i wouldnt count on those solutions to be right i often find them different from mine or the teachers solutions some of the questions even arn't asked properly, it was a very rushed job

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

Surely ye have noticed by now that most of the questions in their papers have loads of mistakes, I wouldn't be relying on their solutions then either...

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭munchie14

ive only got the code today, and only have bits of some of the papers, at least all of ye have decent questions 2 answer, im fcked.. i could have got a high b in this only for the way this sh1te is turnin out, done a class project , and i mean class,wait till i put it up,,,and i have a hopless teacher,, only three in my class atemptin higher, all faile dthe mock,

this education system needs a kick up da whole
    1- the english paper
    2 this
    3 fees
    4 the idiot of a principal they gave us,my school is now probly the worst in the country or near it , dispite our presentation

im just so fckin feed up of all this sh1t,ive lost a year of my life t this crap with stress and the like,,,when im finished im gona plant my engineering teacher, biggest dick head ever

rant over!

• Advertisement

Des23 wrote: »
    Would you not just throw it onto a cone and rotate it? thats what we for it anyway. Just the oppisite of what you do for mining questions when they say that a borehole has an inclination of 30 or what ever..
    Paddy001 wrote: »
    In the view where you find your LOI, the triangle is a straight line so extend it down to hit the xy. Angle formed is what you want Im pretty sure

I could be wrong but are both of those methods for finding the angle of inclination between line and horizontal plane not the line and vertical plane?

eoccork wrote: »
    I could be wrong but are both of those methods for finding the angle of inclination between line and horizontal plane not the line and vertical plane?
    whats the difference? which one is the one where you find the angle in elevation and which is the one where you find it in plan?
    thats been botherin me and cant find where it explains it in the book

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    If you have to get the dihedral angle, when you get your first auxiliary where you look across the line of intersection, the angle the line of intersection makes with the x1,y1 axis in your auxiliary is equal to the angle of inclination. Just mark it in their instead of doing the rotate method.

Is that not for getting the angle of inclination to the horizontal plane not the vertical plane?

galway.gaa wrote: »
    whats the difference? which one is the one where you find the angle in elevation and which is the one where you find it in plan?

Thats what I am asking:p Yeah the bloody book is useless for this topic

could somebody tell me was the question on planes and traces in the mock asking for the angle of inclination to the vertical or horizontal plane? which one was it asking for?
    i would do it myself but our stupid teacher took the paper back up at the end and never gave it back to us:mad:
    plse somebody must know i reall need this as i think it will be asked tomorrow:o

For the horizontal, you take your auxiliary from the plan. For the vertical, you take your auxiliary from the elevation.

For the horizontal, you take your auxiliary from the plan. For the vertical, you take your auxiliary from the elevation.
    thanks that clears it up but is not easier to swing the line and get the true length of it that way. well i find it easier that way

thanks that clears it up but is not easier to swing the line and get the true length of it that way. well i find it easier that way

I suppose it is. But, if it asks you say... What angle the line of intersection makes with the vertical, then you take your auxiliary from the elevation. When you've that done it's just one more step to get the dihedral angle: you just take another auxiliary parallel along the new view of the line of intersection. If they ask you for the angle the LOI makes with either the horizontal or the vertical, it's not really another question, it's just part of the step to getting the dihedral angle.

This is the way I do it, anyway, and I can get most planes and traces questions done in under 10 minutes doing it that way.

Have a look at the attachment please and tell me if I am right or wrong, thanks!

What attachment ?

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    What attachment ?

Fixed.

Have a look at the attachment please and tell me if I am right or wrong, thanks!

I dunno... It looks ok but I wouldn't trust it. There's too much of an assumption put on the relationship of the two planes.

I'd just stick to the normal way, it's just as quick. Horizontal angle = take auxiliary from plan. Vertical angle = take auxiliary from elevation.

Hmm, I don't think so... Only if that green line is true shape and true length...

I'd just stick to the normal way, it's just as quick. Horizontal angle = take auxiliary from plan. Vertical angle = take auxiliary from elevation.

I understand how to get the angle with horizontal, but the vertical angle:confused: Must you get an auxillary plan from the elevation and then join the LOI back to the XY line of that plan to find the angle?

I understand how to get the angle with horizontal, but the vertical angle:confused: Must you get an auxillary plan from the elevation and then join the LOI back to the XY line of that plan to find the angle?

Yah, pretty much. It's basically identical to finding the angle with respect to the horizontal. You do the exact same thing (only using the elevation for your auxiliary) as the normal way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

if it says find the angle of inclination to the vertical plane, will the answer be in plan or elevation if you dont use an aux.

mink_man wrote: »
    if it says find the angle of inclination to the vertical plane, will the answer be in plan or elevation if you dont use an aux.

Plan, I hope:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 cearrbach

i know you cant tell but but what do you think your grade willl be in DCG! with the proj, i reckon i might get a D1 or D2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭KokaNoodles

a C would be nice, a B would be a miracle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Right, all i know is; Interpenetration, Assemblies, Intersecting Planes, roads and mining and a few parts of section A. If the first 4 don't come up i am absolutly screwed.

And **** that DCG name, in my heart it's still good old TD.

Advertisement