Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭KokaNoodles

There's already 2 or 3 threads on DCG!
    Well now theres 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭decster

anyone know the breakdown for each question in dcg. i never got the folens exam papers. and i forgot to write the times down.
    much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

(with ehh.. more for the coursework)

Is this right

Tech.jpg

props to the legend who realised it didn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

eoccork wrote: »
    No its right, I did it both ways and got the same angle...

Also if anyone gets a chance could they explain QA-4 on the official sample paper part (ii)
    Does it just require you to continue the line you got in part one in plan until it hits the XY line?

hehe for part D you look 90* to the intersection line , then look along it and you should see the two planes as straight lines like an X pick one of the angles to mark as the Dihedral and your done :D

you should be getting through the part A's Allot quicker maybe <12 mins for each or so

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Col Man

Thank God I bailed on this crap subject....

Lol sorry for all those here who love it.

Bloody technical crapics. Yes well done me, that was a good one...

No it wasn't, I'm sorry everyone. Please ignore me

• Advertisement

Well now theres 4

It's good to see that you can count.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

papu wrote: »
    hehe for part D you look 90* to the intersection line , then look along it and you should see the two planes as straight lines like an X pick one of the angles to mark as the Dihedral and your done :D

you should be getting through the part A's Allot quicker maybe <12 mins for each or so

Thanks, but it is the next part of the question that I am looking for:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

I think the whole country is more or less screwed if the paper isn't quite similar to the sample one. I know I will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

Does it really matter if we are all screwed?
    We are all marked against each other so if we all don't do as well as they expected us to do we will all be marked up anyway.

Also I don't understand why some have a problem with this subject. Its easy enough once some effort is put into it and as long as you have been thought it properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

Since the general consensus is that we are all ****ed, we have to ask why is that. It obviously isn't down to lazy students or anything, because if that were the case everyone would be in trouble for every subject, yet I can think of very few people who feel happy going into the exam tomorrow.

Most of the difficulties can be associated with teething problems and such, I know that my teacher is going about things in an entirely different way with the 5th years.

I mean we had all of axonmetric, perspective and both option questions to do in 6 weeks. In fact for the mining section he simply did one question on the board and let us off, we didn't get any revision done. He even admitted we only did stuff up to OL standard last year aswell, so for everyone in my class its been either teach yourself or say goodbye to a good grade.

It seems like we have the majority of the old course to do with far less time, and the fact that there is absolutely no cross over between the project and the drawing is just annoying. It feels like you are doing two seperate subjects...

• Advertisement

Thanks, but it is the next part of the question that I am looking for:p

oh snap erm yeah , since you found the "horizontal line" which is level in the plan , you can just continue it to the XY and measure off that
    Des23 wrote: »
    Since the general consensus is that we are all ****ed, we have to ask why is that. It obviously isn't down to lazy students or anything, because if that were the case everyone would be in trouble for every subject, yet I can think of very few people who feel happy going into the exam tomorrow.

Most of the difficulties can be associated with teething problems and such, I know that my teacher is going about things in an entirely different way with the 5th years.

I mean we had all of axonmetric, perspective and both option questions to do in 6 weeks. In fact for the mining section he simply did one question on the board and let us off, we didn't get any revision done. He even admitted we only did stuff up to OL standard last year aswell, so for everyone in my class its been either teach yourself or say goodbye to a good grade.

It seems like we have the majority of the old course to do with far less time, and the fact that there is absolutely no cross over between the project and the drawing is just annoying. It feels like you are doing two seperate subjects...

the books are total Crap
    its like carrying around everything ever about drawing , and the whole course can be condensed into a a few dozen pages , there was no proper book for the old course , and they managed fine.

thank god the project is 40% even if it was a complete waste of time

What do people reckon the chances are of conics coming up in the core? God, I hope it does...

Anyone know if you can use coloured pens in the exam?

Jello wrote: »
    Anyone know if you can use coloured pens in the exam?

stick with pencil have a 2h for darker and shading and a 3 or 4h for construction lines
    Wouldn't use pens IMO

Yeah I usually use pencil it's just in the planes question I sometimes use a bit of fine liner pens for the level lines and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fince

What do people reckon the chances are of conics coming up in the core? God, I hope it does...

God i hope it doesn't show its ugly head at all

papu wrote: »
    stick with pencil have a 2h for darker and shading and a 3 or 4h for construction lines
    Wouldn't use pens IMO

Interesting selection of pencils. My school has always recommended H for you actual work and 2H for construction lines. I have abandoned using the H pencil and all my work in done with a 2H. Its a lot easier to put different pressures on the one pencil then be switching them every 5 minutes.

As for pens, I would recommend you use them to highlight different steps or methods in your work on some topics. On Contour Maps for example use one colour for embankments and another for cuttings.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭pearliefan

hey,
    does anyone know anything about timing? it is three hours right? ... i think... and how many questions do we have to do from each section?? I don't have papers... can't find them online.. and my teacher was an idiot... kinda worried for tomorrow:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Huskey27

dont forget to listen to 2fm tonight at 7pm they are talking about dcg

the questions i'm looking over are :

planes
    interpenetration
    conic sections
    dynamic mechinisms
    assemblies
    solids in contact
    tri/dimetric

i hope that gears dont show up, they are easy if you know the formulae but i dont!

pearliefan wrote: »
    hey,
    does anyone know anything about timing? it is three hours right? ... i think... and how many questions do we have to do from each section?? I don't have papers... can't find them online.. and my teacher was an idiot... kinda worried for tomorrow:confused:

In Section A you have to answer 3 of the 4 questions. (20 marks each)
    In Section B you have to answer 2 of the 3 questions. (45 marks each)
    In Section C you have to answer 2 of the 5 questions. (45 marks each)

So if you were to base you time of the marks you should be doing the questions in the following times.
    Section A : 15 minutes per a question
    Section B : 33.75 minutes per a question.
    Section C : 33.75 minutes per a question.

Keep in mind you will have to take some of this out for reading the questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hmm I am defo using coloured pencils. I also use a mechanical hb for drawing tbh, I am just far too lazy to use Hs and 2hs, Although I will bring in an H, 2h and 5h.

Use dark colours, and if you're not, then just put the coloured lines over the grey ones.

Colours are highly recommended by any grinds teacher I have ever had :D

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭pearliefan

Thank you SO much.....
    hope I can stick to that now.... I like the subject but I'm not good at drawing that fast! it took me an hour to do a hyperbolic peraboloid question earlier:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭galway.gaa

errlloyd wrote: »
    Hmm I am defo using coloured pencils. I also use a mechanical hb for drawing tbh, I am just far too lazy to use Hs and 2hs, Although I will bring in an H, 2h and 5h.

Use dark colours, and if you're not, then just put the coloured lines over the grey ones.

Colours are highly recommended by any grinds teacher I have ever had :D
    i dont understand why you need colours? what part of the paper would you use colours on?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lorcol

need help!! Can some one tell me how to activate the folens solutions on their website, it tells me i need a password. Anyone got all the solutions for the sample paper????

You're all pretty heavy with your pencils. I typically use a 4H for everything; I just vary the pressure when necessary. I never use colours, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

Bump

In the view where you find your LOI, the triangle is a straight line so extend it down to hit the xy. Angle formed is what you want Im pretty sure

Fince wrote: »
    God i hope it doesn't show its ugly head at all
    +1 on that. I hate that and interpenetration. I can do them but just dont like them, anything else and I'd be happy

lorcol wrote: »
    need help!! Can some one tell me how to activate the folens solutions on their website, it tells me i need a password. Anyone got all the solutions for the sample paper????
    That's some load of crap, big add on the front of the papers about how you can view the solutions online but yet you have to be a teacher to view them, what a joke :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Huskey27

its DCGSOL2009

• Advertisement

Huskey27 wrote: »
    its DCGSOL2009

Almost right. It lowercase not capitals.

Edit: Oh I just tried it in capitals and it works. Now I sound like an idiot,

Advertisement