Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Paper 2 honours

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 movingsheepdip

wasnt too sure about bhean og question....and not one thing i learned for stair came up!apart from that tho nice paper....and thanks be to jaysus celtic tiger came up in p1!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

am is bealodis.... eachtrai dochreidte and driaocht?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

That was a thoroughly strange paper. Faoiseamh and Lig Sinn have appeared in three consecutive years now, haven't they?

Think I did alright. Might have got a low B / high C. Hopefully the oral, paper I and the aural bump up my grade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

Yup think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

That's what I wrote about anyway (presuming aibhéil is the same thing as eachtraí dochredte).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

thank christ ...that wasnt too hard a question!hadn't a clue what bhean og question was just wrote the story sad life etc....stair was a disaster!for mairead ni ghrada i wrote "scriobh si an triail"!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Ciapadh in the bean og question means distress or torment.
    Did this question delighted. Got 2 pages out of it.

Did the gambling man himself and used draiocht and achaini for the traits of the bealoideas.

For A thig na Tit Orm I did the gaeltacht question. 2 and 3/4s out of it.

Faioseamh a gheobhadsa and gealt were grand. I had athra learnt the night before for faioseamh a gheobhadsa so was delighted.

Dar m'bhefeidir aris dar gcumann was grand. Copied the translation question from the lines I already used in my 20 marker! lol

Stair na Gaeilge. I laughed that it was the 2008 stair! Did mairtin o direain and caitlin maude. Plus tionchar na teangacha iasachta ar gaeilge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jonnieb90

I thought the paper was quite nice from sections (a)-(c). But i thought it was very unfair the way they copied word for word the Stair na Gaeilge (d) section from 2008. Aside from that, I thought it was a nice paper. I don't see the point in asking questions that people don't understand though! Why do they phrase the questions in an awkward manner? And why do they put vocab in them that people don't understand? ( words like ciaptha and míorúlt) In my opinion this just makes more people opt for the ordinary level paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Antamojo

Didn't study at all but I found it was grand.
    Didn't bother with Stair na nGaeilge at all. What a pointless section.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

andyman wrote: »
    You thank me by placing a post card with €20 attached to it to:

Michael Hunt
    27 Imnotreal Park
    Carrick-On-Shannon
    Co. Leitrim.
    I'll drive over:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Sean_Ludawg

Stair na Gaeilge?!? wtf! :eek: i knew none of them :( ended up just goin through all the poets and just say 'scríobh sé/sí an dán ..... ' I hope I'll get pity marks...

+1
    Did terrible in Stair. Max I can get is like 20 marks I'm more than likely looking at about 8....
    That's that though I suppose! Apart from that it was grand!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I dunno why many people had a problem with the Dá mb'fheidir arís dár gcumann question - I mean míorúilt is in the poem itself and in our notes it refers to her athbheochan and chaomhnú as a míorúilt. Needless to say I just regurgitated everything about her chaomhnú de bhrí athfhás an fhómhair for the 20 marker :P The 6 and the 9 were practically the same thing written out twice for me lol, the examiner may find some traces of athrá there :D:rolleyes:

the an triail question was grand... I went on a bit of a man hating rant - I complained about Pádraig and Seán, which was easy enough.

OL poems... I hadn't revised any of it so I was relying on making up my own crap for these (which usually works well enough). Faoiseamh was OK, I talked about how he misses the island, and the crapness of the city makes him reminisce about his youth. For the Gealt question I thing I said exaggeration was the main theme.... The examiner's really gonna think I was grasping at straws with this answer! :o

Stair was a bit unfair I thought, being almost word for word the same as last years... I could only answer on the Rúraíocht.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭DáireM

ironclaw wrote: »
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, Irish has no place in our current school system. Its a language without use in our world and lets be honest, its useless. I'm proud to have done honours, proud to have done my best, proud to be Irish and proud to know some Irish but its time to stop flogging this dead horse. I was one of 7 from a year of almost 100 who did the honours paper. I was the last to leave the exam hall.

There is something wrong with the system and language as a whole when a) So few people do the subject b) So few from outside the Gaeltacht gets A's and c) People can leave a pass paper after 50 mins and get B's. Its daft.

Also, the Irish paper is the most unlevel playing field. Doesn't matter how much you know or what your learned, if one word in the question means nothing to you then your up that certain creek without a paddle. You should be given a paper with questions in English and write your answers in Irish. That eliminates Billy the Bogger from Connamara having one up on you for knowing more complex Irish.

Oh, and am I the one who thinks its unfair for the listening comprehensions to have English and Irish questions written side by side? (In the the European Languages)

Anyway, rant over,

Was a grand paper.

I agree, it's a feckin disgrace that people who are better at Irish than me will get a better grade in an exam. How dare the cheeky feckers at the SEC reward fluency and understanding the question rather than my own regurgitated crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

for the thig na tit orm question, was it about his youth too or just about the gaeltacht? i just did about his youth and said he danced every night in the gaeltacht! how many marks will i lose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

mink_man wrote: »
    for the thig na tit orm question, was it about his youth too or just about the gaeltacht? i just did about his youth and said he danced every night in the gaeltacht! how many marks will i lose?

It was "Theres an interesting description of life in the gaeltacht and life in the country during his youth" .....So it seemed to be more geared towards what life in the gaeltacht/country was back then. I'd say you'll be grand, anything about his youth is related to life back then anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Fantastic Paper.
    Hopefully a B overall.
    Dírbheatháisnéisí Roghnach questions were the ones I studied YUS!!
    Dánta Dualgais Breise-not baaaad!
    Stair Na Gaeilge-would you get marks on the Rúraíocht if you wrote an intro to the Rúraíocht and then talked through Táin Bó Cuailgne?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

arthistory wrote: »
    I think it went ok!! :rolleyes:did the lig sinn i gcathu and bealoidis. the stair was tough...is dinnseanchas the same as logaimneacha..hope it is cos i wrote nearly 2 pages on logainms in desparation!!!

also are the annala na gCeithre Maistri the same as the monk's annalas....you know annala thigearnaigh, annala riochta eire etc??

for foras na gaeilge i just wrote bord na gaelige notes and called it foras!! pretty sure they are the same thing anyway!!

My school won that school prize they give out last year, so I'm pretty sure everyone just wrote about that! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shelshel

:eek: that paper was only ok......
    the stair was pure evil!!!!!!!! it had the EXACT same questions that came up in 2008. word for word!!! - c and f switched places that was the only change:eek::eek: wtf????? why wud they do that??? i hadnt learned the stuff that came up last year :(.... ciaptha in an bean og means tortured.... i didnt know that till after.... i needed a b1... hope that isnt messed up now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Pixiesticks

ironclaw wrote: »
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, Irish has no place in our current school system. Its a language without use in our world and lets be honest, its useless. I'm proud to have done honours, proud to have done my best, proud to be Irish and proud to know some Irish but its time to stop flogging this dead horse. I was one of 7 from a year of almost 100 who did the honours paper. I was the last to leave the exam hall.

There is something wrong with the system and language as a whole when a) So few people do the subject b) So few from outside the Gaeltacht gets A's and c) People can leave a pass paper after 50 mins and get B's. Its daft.

Also, the Irish paper is the most unlevel playing field. Doesn't matter how much you know or what your learned, if one word in the question means nothing to you then your up that certain creek without a paddle. You should be given a paper with questions in English and write your answers in Irish. That eliminates Billy the Bogger from Connamara having one up on you for knowing more complex Irish.

Oh, and am I the one who thinks its unfair for the listening comprehensions to have English and Irish questions written side by side? (In the the European Languages)

Anyway, rant over,

Was a grand paper.

Here are you stupid? The only reason Irish is hated and found difficult is because of the lack of passion and teaching of it in primary schools - it is NOT a dead language, there are Gaelscoils full of enthusiastic, proud gaelgóirs all over the country. I t's a disgrace how people this ignorant describe this beautiful language as "useless". Why is it all the rage nowadays to send your children to Gaelscoils? Why is everyone i speak to jealous of my fluency in our native tongue?
    People in Gaeltacht areas do have an advantage in this situation, but sure you can have an advantage in any subject. Some people are really good at maths, you gonna complain that they understand maths questions better? Or in my year there's a guy who's German, so he's fluent in German. He's got that advantage...
    Yeah I do think they should dumb down the language in the questions, basic irish is more useful than the complex stuff in the questions. But when it comes down to it, most the words in the questions are found in the sample questions or the notes in the books. I haven't found a single one that wasn't. So if you learnt off all the sample answers you'd be grand...
    Anyway, rant over have a nice life :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

DáireM wrote: »
    I agree, it's a feckin disgrace that people who are better at Irish than me will get a better grade in an exam. How dare the cheeky feckers at the SEC reward fluency and understanding the question rather than my own regurgitated crap.

Ah look, come here.

It IS a bit unfair being marked on the same curb as people who use Irish as their main-language all day.

I wonder though, does their English mark suffer as a result of having Irish as their main language ?

Probably not, to be fair, like. Hard to know.

Sorry, I'm just thinking out loud.

My paper started a dream. Bhean Og, Cearrbach...slightly downhill....An Triail....more downhill...Faoiseamh....even more....gealt?....more....An Mhathair....rock bottom. Stair. Didn't know a thing. "Tharlaionn na ruriaocht isteach an caislean agus...is sampla maith den bealaoidis is ea na scealta seo".

Had no time so couldn't even waffle effectively ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭lorr3

hi hi :) thought the paper was in general ok..bit mean to put up last years stair and OL poems!!! just wonderin did everyone geet caught for time? ive never got stuck for time in that paper..is that good or bad? wrote the requirements but cant know why i always have loads of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭daithiolabhrai

Stair na Gaeilge?!? wtf! :eek: i knew none of them :( ended up just goin through all the poets and just say 'scríobh sé/sí an dán ..... ' I hope I'll get pity marks...

i too was absolutely screwed for stair na gaeilge! made up stuff about udaras na gaeltachta and conradh na gaeilge! no idea what dinnseanchas is, but still came up with three points on it lol!

lorr3 wrote: »
    hi hi :) thought the paper was in general ok..bit mean to put up last years stair and OL poems!!! just wonderin did everyone geet caught for time? ive never got stuck for time in that paper..is that good or bad? wrote the requirements but cant know why i always have loads of time?

Yeah I found that I had a suspicious amount of time left at the end - enough to read through everything about 3 times to check for mistakes. It was only after I got out of the exam that I realised I'd left out prose. ALL of it. After I killed myself learning stuff for bean óg, cearrbhach and fiche bliain last night.... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

this was a joke of an exam in our school! no one took it seriously........i mean its not worth the effort, just 30% and all that bull you've got to have off? i definitly failed the paper, probably got a low C overall though, which is fine. i also drew a luminous green elephant at the bottom of my script and had a nice itch of the back of my knee during this exam. about 25 people in our centre left at 10.00.............however, "bear like i fought the course", and stuck it until 11.

thank god ill never have to use that crap again!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Antamojo

How the hell did you leave out all the pros?

Antamojo wrote: »
    How the hell did you leave out all the pros?

I decided to leave it til last cause it's my least favourite aspect of the course.... and then forgot about it. I'm still very irritated with myself :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭superLeetive

Ok fair enough about the leaving cert course being awful, in my opinion they should take off the An Trial section, make the oral worth more, and change the paper layout so you actually have a choice what to study. But you can't say that there "is something wrong with the language as a whole" just because the leaving cert course is bad. In fact, in my opinion the reason so few people speak Irish in Ireland is because the course turns them off it.

And what do you find unfair about someone having an advantage by being better at Irish? That's the same with every exam...

The course is changing from this September so that the oral will now be worth 40% instead of the current 25%. However many of the additional marks that will be available for the oral are being taken away from the aural when they really should be taken away from Paper 2. No point being able to speak the language well and hold your own in a conversation if you can't understand what the other person is saying back to you!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

But you can't say that there "is something wrong with the language as a whole" just because the leaving cert course is bad. In fact, in my opinion the reason so few people speak Irish in Ireland is because the course turns them off it...
    I'd be inclined to agree, though it has to be said that there have been improvements over the years, with less emphasis on literary and textual analysis, for example.

I think the whole Irish curriculum and approach to teaching from primary up needs an overhaul, and that overhaul should be put into the hands of good language teachers (of whom we have many, including in Irish) rather than in the hands of fanatics with strong political agendas about Irish and what absolutely HAS to be included for historical reasons.

And that's from someone who loves his history, btw ... :D
    The course is changing from this September so that the oral will now be worth 40% instead of the current 25%. However many of the additional marks that will be available for the oral are being taken away from the aural when they really should be taken away from Paper 2. No point being able to speak the language well and hold your own in a conversation if you can't understand what the other person is saying back to you!!
    In fairness, though, don't you think the Oral is also a reasonable test of your ability to understand as well as to speak Irish?

You can't just go in there and ignore the examiner and rabbit on about whatever comes into your head.

I do see your point to an extent though ...

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭superLeetive

In fairness, though, don't you think the Oral is also a reasonable test of your ability to understand as well as to speak Irish?

You can't just go in there and ignore the examiner and rabbit on about whatever comes into your head.

I do see your point to an extent though ...

Yeah I see your point but you do have somewhat of an advantage in the oral in that the Qs are usually on topics that you have prepared and the examiner does his/her best to help you to understand what is being asked.

It's not that I'm not in favour of raising the amount of marks allocated to the oral as I think there should be more emphasis on the practical use of the language rather than learning off pages and pages of stuff that the vast majority of students do not even understand but I just don't think that the extra marks shouldn't be taken from the aural component of the course. Also the aural tests your ability to understand all the main dialects of the language where as the oral only tests your ability to understand the dialect spoken by the examiner.

The aural is traditionally the section in which weaker students pick up marks and so they will be at a disadvantage as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭lorr3

Yeah I found that I had a suspicious amount of time left at the end - enough to read through everything about 3 times to check for mistakes. It was only after I got out of the exam that I realised I'd left out prose. ALL of it. After I killed myself learning stuff for bean óg, cearrbhach and fiche bliain last night.... :mad:

Oh thats a bit s**t!!! you poor thing. didnt leave antin out myself but still was grand for time. I DUNNO ah its done now anways!! no more poems:D

Advertisement