Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Paper 2 honours

Options
  • 09-06-2009 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Absolutely loved it! My dream paper for irish paper two! didn't have any difficulty at all! What did everyone else think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

didnt fully understand the an bhean og and da mbfheidir questions

if you dont mention the word such as chiaptha in the answer do they dock alot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

An Triail and Stair na Teanga were perfect! Only problem was that the only story we did on the first question was An Bhean Og, so I was a bit annoyed that I didn't get a choice. It's a hard one to call for me, though I think whatever chance of an A I had might be gone :(

didnt fully understand the an bhean og and da mbfheidir questions

if you dont mention the word such as chiaptha in the answer do they dock alot?

Ciap is annoyance, I think.. so as long as you have something in the answer with general negative connotations I'd reckon you'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

Lovely paper . . . . .
    Got two pages for the Lig sin i gCathu question . . . .
    The An Trial Qs were grand . . .
    The first da mb'fheider q was a bit awkward , but apart from that the paper was grand:D
    Hopefully a B1,or an A2 if the examiner is nice

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

That paper was great....

If you've a head like an elephant.

I personally did not like, not because the paper was difficult. Generally it was a very fair paper.

I didn't like it due to fact that all my classmates and I were required to learn reams and reams of pages off on these poems and stories and when asked to change these summaries to suit the questions we couldn't!
    That was for the pre.

This time around I know I didn't do enough preparation but I thought my own standard of Irish would carry me through.
    It didn't really.
    God bless the examiner for my paper! They'll have a job!
    I learnt Jack off word for word but did it appear? Ohhhh nooooo
    Gealt? Teacher told us not to bother so haven't looked at it since 5th yr! That was a joy to see as you can imagine!

Only thing I didn't attempt was Stair na Gaeilge because none of the 6 I had learnt came up!
    Very disappointed :(

THIS SYSTEM NEEDS A SHAKE UP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Everything but An Bhean Og was a dream, didn't quite understand the question but wrote about how she was lonely and her relationship was bad with her husband...etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Bananahammock

Stair na Gaeilge?!? wtf! :eek: i knew none of them :( ended up just goin through all the poets and just say 'scríobh sé/sí an dán ..... ' I hope I'll get pity marks...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Thought it was a really tough paper. Not one of the Stairs I looked over came up (I've never even heard of some of the ones that did come up), so I couldn't do any of it. All of my answers were quite short and I'm not sure if I actually answered the question in some of them. Also two of the poems my teacher kept going on about didn't come up either.

I'm not too worried though as I did crap in paper 2 in the mocks but still did well overall.

No more Irish, ever! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I didn't really realise we had to so much in it! didn't do the stair na gaeilge. didn't understand the questions for the stories so I just wrote summaries, didn't understand a lot of the questions, the only thing I did really well was the an triail question, they were nice I could have done either, I did the one about single mothers. the pass poems I did quite well as well, the honours was a bit meh. I didn't even remember ever doing the second one so I had to answer the first one, the mathair one, and found it really tough.

what the hell did the questions mean for the stories though, anybody? I did the and bhean óg one and the second cearbhach one. didn't realise there was more marks for the first til I was finished opps

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

Well I wrote about how her life was full of unhappiness.

Ciap comes from either annoyance or plaugue so her plagued mind = unhappy mind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I didn't understand An Bhean Og so I did Lig Sinn I gCathu which I hadn't studied properly cos I was convinced it wouldn't come up :( Dont think my answer was too bad though.

I completely ran outta time at the end, only wrote 10-15 lines on An Rúraíocht and a few sentences on Filíocht na mBard :( Bang go my hopes of Irish making up for English :(

Piste wrote: »
    I didn't understand An Bhean Og so I did Lig Sinn I gCathu which I hadn't studied properly cos I was convinced it wouldn't come up :( Dont think my answer was too bad though.

I completely ran outta time at the end, only wrote 10-15 lines on An Rúraíocht and a few sentences on Filíocht na mBard :( Bang go my hopes of Irish making up for English :(

Once you've 3 main points you'll be fine though, regardless of how much or little you wrote.

you wrote 10-15 lines??? anyone I know who did it was like yeah I only wrote 3 lines for it. 10-15 is plenty!

I left an hour early, hhmm, did quite crap in it I'd say. don't really mind though cos I did great in paper 1 and the listening, oral wasn't too bad either

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

They were really points though, just a load of sentences..."An rúraíocht was written before Christianity came. It's about nobles. They spent their time inside. There were women soldiers. Oh yeah they were called the craobh rua. The most famous story is the Táin Bó Cuailgne. Some traits associated with the Rúraíochts are heroism, bravey and geasa" so not really in point form =/

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭--homeslice--

Was absolutely panicking this morning, crying in school but MY GOD was i happy when an cearrbhach and an bhean og were on that paper! gealt, ehhhhh.... cad?! thanks to our wonderful teacher we never actually did the poem, i had looked over it a few times but we were ensured it wouldn't come up, so you can imagine my delight when i saw it as the compulsary question... joy.. also ran out of time for the paper, so stair na gaeilge are definitely gonna lose me marks!

better than my non attempt anyway. they'll definitely throw some marks your way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭arthistory

I think it went ok!! :rolleyes:did the lig sinn i gcathu and bealoidis. the stair was tough...is dinnseanchas the same as logaimneacha..hope it is cos i wrote nearly 2 pages on logainms in desparation!!!

also are the annala na gCeithre Maistri the same as the monk's annalas....you know annala thigearnaigh, annala riochta eire etc??

for foras na gaeilge i just wrote bord na gaelige notes and called it foras!! pretty sure they are the same thing anyway!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭lorna100

what did the first question on da mbeidir aris dar gcumann mean?

the bhean og question was something about her tormented mind, only found out after the exam.
    Stair na gaeilge, didnt know any of what came up so made a stab at ruraiocht and the one about the irish organisations, made that one up - hopefully I'll get a few pity marks.

After paper one i thought i might be able to use it as points instead of english.. if i add up what i think i got, im at 81%, if I get the b1 it will just about do, please let the examiner be nice...

lorna100 wrote: »

the bhean og question was something about her tormented mind, only found out after the exam.
    Stair na gaeilge, didnt know any of what came up so made a stab at ruraiocht and the one about the irish organisations, made that one up - hopefully I'll get a few pity marks.

After paper one i thought i might be able to use it as points instead of english.. if i add up what i think i got, im at 81%, if I get the b1 it will just about do, please let the examiner be nice...

The Q was about what the 'miricle' was and how twas intertwined with nature . . . . A fairly awkward Q IMO . . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭arthistory

something like describe the miracles that happened in poet's life and how its tied up with theme of nature

• Advertisement

anybody know what the second cearrbhach question meant? not the bealoideas one. All I recognised was cleasaíocht

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭lorna100

I thought it was something to do with how her life changed, and how it was tied in with nature.
    Think my answer will still be ok..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

cleasaiocht is trickery!

I thought it was something to do with how her life changed, and how it was tied in with nature.
    Think my answer will still be ok..

Yeah it should be,the miracle was the change and she became openly able to grieve . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭JW91

It was grand I thought. The questions on the stories and An Triail were simple. The poetry and stair I found to be tricky enough but I had absolutley no revision done for either of them so I can hardly complain. I managed to answer both of them reasonably okay tho. I'd imagine I'll get a B2 or B3.

Did someone say they ran out of time? How could you possibly run out of time on that paper? 3 Hours and 20 minutes! I was finished over an hour early and so were most of the others in my school.
    There's way too much time layed out for that paper in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

its better to be too long than too short!

mink_man wrote: »
    cleasaiocht is trickery!

yeah that's the bit I said I recognised!

what did the whole question mean? I did write about how the cearbhach tricks bas but how bas gets him the end, hope that was the jist of what they wanted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

An Bean Og: Hadn't a notion what chiaptha meant but saw aigne and went on and on about her intelligence, her irish, having to write complicated letters and succeeding, her worrying about the boy being a slow learner, her having no one to talk to(forgot to say uaigneas, ffs most obvious word), separated from her dude, her expects a lot from her, controls her, tension between them etc etc. Don't think I was on the point enough really.

An Cearrbhach: Think I answered this really well, had examples etc, it was class that you only had to do two traits as well.

An Triail: Did the single mothers question, grand really. Cohesion wasn't the best but I think it was fine over all.

Bimse Buan: Hadn't revised this AT ALL, but I knew even less about Faoiseamh a Gheobhadsa so Bimse it was... Think I did an alright job of the first question on athru, not great. Doubt I got any marks at all for the second question on meter as I completely made it up and said it had the meter of a song(yeah I know,wtf?) and said stuff about fuaimmeanna cealmhar, binn etc totally off the point.

Gealt: Hadn't revised this either *shakes fist at the department* Reckon my theme question was grand, but again not anything great.

An Mathair: Delighted this came up, so much simpler than Da mb'fheidir! Wasn't 100% sure what the first question meant but just discussed how the poet creates good images of them all, 2 of the woman, then the sons, nature, fhiannaiocht etc My other two questions were basically the same, I wrote an triur mac so many times it was ridiculous. Lovely repetative stuff for the examiner anyway. Over all a grand one.

Stair: Oh baby, they sure did save the best for last. WHAT a disaster! Nothing I had learned(an dan gra, bealoideas, fhiannaiocht, amhran) came up, and I knew virtually nothing about anything else. I chose Filiocht na mBard and Ruraiocht. I mean files learned in schools with no windows didnt they(yeah got mixed up with scoileanna na mBard)? And they had patroooons until the flight of the earls right? And ruraiocht were the laochscealta before fhiannaiocht right? And Oisin i dTir na nOg is an example(just put that in for the craic)? Vomit, ugh :rolleyes:

There's my B1/A2 gone anyway :(

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭internetaddict

snazzy wrote: »
    That paper was great....

This time around I know I didn't do enough preparation but I thought my own standard of Irish would carry me through.
    It didn't really.
    God bless the examiner for my paper! They'll have a job!
    I learnt Jack off word for word but did it appear? Ohhhh nooooo
    Gealt? Teacher told us not to bother so haven't looked at it since 5th yr! That was a joy to see as you can imagine!

Only thing I didn't attempt was Stair na Gaeilge because none of the 6 I had learnt came up!
    Very disappointed :(

THIS SYSTEM NEEDS A SHAKE UP!

Exact same for me.
    Where did Gealt come from? And it was a bit cheeky putting ruraíocht on again..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭hopeful_girl

ceist a haon-a pain.
    couldnt understand the first three questions.

an cearrbhach was aright.

fairly good paper.

they were legend with the honours poems.

ahm.
    does anyone know if you were supposed to write about an ruraiocht AND filiocht na mbard?

or just one?

i did the two in my state of confusion

Advertisement