Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Paper 2 honours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

What's everyone's problem with gealt? I thought it was lovely! the poem is printed there and it's so easy to understand, the question was lovely. I did the teideal an dán and I was like it's a great teideal cos the poet poses a question
    gealt? is he a gealt? is it the man in the pyjamas that is the gealt or is it all the other people? and then I did dramataíocht(sp?) as well. does that just mean dramatic or something? I hope so, but the poem is very dramatic! all in all gealt gets a thumbs up from me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

ceist a haon-a pain.
    couldnt understand the first three questions.

an cearrbhach was aright.

fairly good paper.

they were legend with the honours poems.

ahm.
    does anyone know if you were supposed to write about an ruraiocht AND filiocht na mbard?

or just one?

i did the two in my state of confusion

Don't worry,it's two :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Richyj_0

I think that paper was alright...I misquoted a few things in the An Triail question and messed up Stair na Gaeilge because I didnt learn any of it but the paper was quite fair overall. Hopefully a B overall...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cheesy-does-it

hey,

just checked the Stair na Gaeilge from last year..ITS THE EXACT SAME!! even the poets section.. every question the exact same..... CAN THEY DO THAT? i was really struggling at times today and really need my C3 to do teaching. if I end up getting a D1!! STEWARDS INQUIRY I SAY!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭JW91

I agree with you Sinead about the Gealt.

It's the easiest poem on the course. We had gone over it a few times in class so I knew what it was about but even if I never saw it before I'd say I could have managed to translate it. Really simple irish in it like. It's not like Bimse Buan or some other crap poem with complicated language.

The question was very straight forwad on it aswel. I'd be hoping for nearly full marks on that question

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Uaschamóg

everyone stop complaining about gealt and stair the gaeilge. if it was on the course you should have known it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭hopeful_girl

an gealt was awesome.

i hadnt seen it since the start of last year.

but really simple to draw your own ideas off of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I can understand people complaining about the stair if it was the exact same as last year but gealt! if you hadn't even done it in school you would have been able to answer the question, it's so easy!

Uaschamóg wrote: »
    everyone stop complaining about gealt and stair the gaeilge. if it was on the course you should have known it.

yeah but they've never repeated even one Stair na Gaeilge in consecutive years... but to ask the exact same ones....? cudnt believe it wen i checked back over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Yey, double papers are all over! :D

I thought it was grand, surprised that both an mhathair and da mbeidir were on, they're gunna have some fun next year trying to predict! And thank god Lig sinn wasnt a compulsary question, baahhh that story is so crappy :p

As for stair na gaeilge, ughh! The only thing i really knew was aislingi, which you had to do with another one, so i made up my own story about annala :cool: Then for tionchar na dteangacha iasachta i just wrote about irish being a celtic language, and how it has been oppressed by english. Should check if thats anywhere close...and i did a bit of an Ruraiocht, just in case my corrector cant count and adds the 3 together :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

An Cearrbhach: Think I answered this really well, had examples etc, it was class that you only had to do two traits as well.

Oh no! Do you mean you only had to discuss two traits of bealoideas?!

EDIT: Oh crap I just looked at the papers and it does >.< I mentioned four :( how much am I likely to be penalised?

Piste wrote: »
    Oh no! Do you mean you only had to discuss two traits of bealoideas?!

EDIT: Oh crap I just looked at the papers and it does >.< I mentioned four :( how much am I likely to be penalised?

Probably nothing,as long as two of them are in enough detail ;)

Yeah two of them are pretty detailed, I only gave a few sentences to the other too, gonna looks like a right eejit though :rolleyes:

hey,

just checked the Stair na Gaeilge from last year..ITS THE EXACT SAME!! even the poets section.. every question the exact same..... CAN THEY DO THAT? i was really struggling at times today and really need my C3 to do teaching. if I end up getting a D1!! STEWARDS INQUIRY I SAY!!!

Wow, they're the exact same :eek: So are the filiocht aimnithe, gealt, bimse and faoiseamh. And if anyone did A Thig Na Tit Orm, the question was more or less the same as last years aswel...saol na gaeltacht!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 mikeyb09

I thought this was a horrible paper luckily i dont need irish for points or college! If i get a C3 il be happy :D

An wat does bealodís mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

mikeyb09 wrote: »
    I thought this was a horrible paper luckily i dont need irish for points or college! If i get a C3 il be happy :D

An wat does bealodís mean?

Oral tradition

Claypigeon wrote: »
    Oral tradition

Folklore in other words....

Yeah two of them are pretty detailed, I only gave a few sentences to the other too, gonna looks like a right eejit though :rolleyes:

Don't worry,my friend did that too...except she wrote about like 7 of them:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Irish has no place in our current school system. Its a language without use in our world and lets be honest, its useless. I'm proud to have done honours, proud to have done my best, proud to be Irish and proud to know some Irish but its time to stop flogging this dead horse. I was one of 7 from a year of almost 100 who did the honours paper. I was the last to leave the exam hall.

There is something wrong with the system and language as a whole when a) So few people do the subject b) So few from outside the Gaeltacht gets A's and c) People can leave a pass paper after 50 mins and get B's. Its daft.

Also, the Irish paper is the most unlevel playing field. Doesn't matter how much you know or what your learned, if one word in the question means nothing to you then your up that certain creek without a paddle. You should be given a paper with questions in English and write your answers in Irish. That eliminates Billy the Bogger from Connamara having one up on you for knowing more complex Irish.

Oh, and am I the one who thinks its unfair for the listening comprehensions to have English and Irish questions written side by side? (In the the European Languages)

Anyway, rant over,

Was a grand paper.

Why would it be unfair that forgein language comprehensions are in Irish and English? :confused:

Wow only 7 in your year do honours Irish? That's shocking. There are 3 honours classes and only 2 pass classes in my year.

• Advertisement

Why would it be unfair that forgein language comprehensions are in Irish and English? :confused:

Wow only 7 in your year do honours Irish? That's shocking. There are 3 honours classes and only 2 pass classes in my year.

Only 8 of us doing it, and 70ish doing pass. Wow, 3 honours classes? So what, 50-60 students?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Motorbreath

I thought the paper wasn't too bad.

One or two words from the questions put me off here and there but all in all it's all good... no more Irish = :D

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭liverpool lad

i did the exam last year but i found this years paper very fair. I would have been very put off with the stair question though, thought it was very unfair but then again they could have put the exact same paper up as last year if the wished. I was suprised that bout an mháthair and dá mbfheidir arís dár gcumman came up though. Next year and the year after are going to have a hard time predicting the higher level poems. and no jack? that was also strange. Starting to think now that cathal o searcaigh is OFF the course. As i said in the other thread my mam said that the stair question will be taken into consideration at the marking conference so when she gets back from it, cause shes correcting this year, ill let ye know!

good luck for the rest of the exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

ironclaw wrote: »
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, Irish has no place in our current school system. Its a language without use in our world and lets be honest, its useless.

There is something wrong with the system and language as a whole when a) So few people do the subject b) So few from outside the Gaeltacht gets A's and c) People can leave a pass paper after 50 mins and get B's. Its daft.

Also, the Irish paper is the most unlevel playing field. Doesn't matter how much you know or what your learned, if one word in the question means nothing to you then your up that certain creek without a paddle. You should be given a paper with questions in English and write your answers in Irish. That eliminates Billy the Bogger from Connamara having one up on you for knowing more complex Irish.

Ok fair enough about the leaving cert course being awful, in my opinion they should take off the An Trial section, make the oral worth more, and change the paper layout so you actually have a choice what to study. But you can't say that there "is something wrong with the language as a whole" just because the leaving cert course is bad. In fact, in my opinion the reason so few people speak Irish in Ireland is because the course turns them off it.

And what do you find unfair about someone having an advantage by being better at Irish? That's the same with every exam...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Saffy

An Bhean óg - didn't understand the question but I wrote all I knew about the story but only got less than a page done because I left it until last:o

An Cearrach Mac caba - I did the bealodis question - I wrote about 1 and 1/2 pages.

Pass poetry - didn't those poems come up last year?:confused:

honors poems - yay!! an mhathair came up!!:D

an trial was an easy question:D

stair - disaster!! didn't know one thing that came up!!

I need a C3 in Irish and I don't think I got it - I got a C1 in my pre but I don't know how.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

andyman wrote: »
    I can guarentee you that "Dá mb'fheidir..." and "An Mháthair" will come up.

Post made on 26-11-2008

You thank me by placing a post card with €20 attached to it to:

Michael Hunt
    27 Imnotreal Park
    Carrick-On-Shannon
    Co. Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Redbhoy

ironclaw wrote: »
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, Irish has no place in our current school system.

What place has any language in our education system if thats the case??

Its part of our heritage and we shouldnt dislike it, we should nourish it. The country should be fluently bi-lingual. Its not too hard to do if there was a general consensus there.
    If Irish was taught properly there'd be an awful lot less bitching about it.

P.S. I thought both papers were grand. Everything I thought would come up did, thanks to a few tips from people on here.
    That €20 is on its way Andyman ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 xprincessashx

absolutely disgusting paper....probably partly my own fault but the course is too big =(
    and where the hell was níl aon ní, jack, and an fhiannaiocht?? blehhh
    horrible!
    hopefully i've done enough in the rest of it to pass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

I thought the paper was a bit unfair...bit of a downer if you ask me. Really unfair to ask the same poems and stair as last year. I agree there needs to be a radical change of the course.

Paper 2 is worth 30% of the whole exam. The oral is worth 3/4 of paper 2 so you could still get a high grade if you done a good oral, aural and paper 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Redbhoy

At least the poems are in front of you. The poetry in English is much harder.
    Once you've a general grasp of the poem you should be able to waffle about it for a page or so!
    I didnt think Faoiseamh was coming up but was glad as I think its easy to give out about the city and say how great country life is.

Advertisement