Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Paper 1. Aftermath.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Yeah did he come up before? I'm almost certain I've answered a comprehension on him. I knew what degree he did before I even read the piece:D
    Was on my mock, perhaps you did the same mock?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

my irish teacher is a tool. she didn't prepare anything on the recession. we did ridiculous stuff like "divorce is not always a solution"

am I the only one who found the paper impossible? was undecided what level to do even when she was giving out the papers and just said feck it i'll try honours. big mistake, i didn't understand the comprehensions at all and mistranslated the essay title and realised about 3/4 of the way through what it really meant so had to try and mix it up to have it make sense. was a shambles.

on the up side found the tape grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Was on my mock, perhaps you did the same mock?

Probably. Whoever wrote that mock was fairly on the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭sarah+1

Am the only HL that did the magazine article? :) Least competition out of everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Saffy

I very almost did OL today!
    But at last minute I decided to stick with HL - glad I did!
    Quite a nice paper:)
    I did the Celtic Tiger essay but I hadn't learned any off.

The first comprehension was grand but the second was so boring!!

I stayed until the very end - I actually wasn't finished!
    There was hardly no one left lol.
    Theres about 150 in my year and I'd say only 15 stayed until the end!

Am I the only one who found tape kind of difficult?:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Did the díospóireacht, just blabbered on about the progress of the language over the last few years so not sure if they'll take marks away from me for straying away from the title. Was gonna try and do both the Celtic Tiger essay and Díospóireacht but the comprehensions took up too much time. Not lookin forward to Paper II and Business being on in the same day. Lord knows my hand was fecked after an hour of díospóireacht writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Ha ha, just have this image of a loada people with big gowns and morter boards...I imagine we're not to take this literally?
    And as for the people giving out about it being too easy, even if everyone did the Tiogar Ceilteach, it's only 20/100 for ábhar, so anyone going for the A is still gonna get in on the Irish like, and it gives everyone else a chance too. And is it just me, or was the guy with the really deep voice a bit unneccessary on the listening? It's testing your Irish, being able to hear them would help!

yeah i could barely hear the guy with the deep voice either! and people kept making noise in my centre too

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭internetaddict

Irish paper was great..I don't care if everyone did the recession, my teachers forced us to learn stuff off and never really encouraged us to write our own stuff. I wasn't going to risk putting something down that was wrong..my grammar and spelling are my weak points in Irish.

I really wished I'd learnt something on Barack Obama..I never thought he'd come up as specifically!

All the OL people were saying that Des Bishop had cancer.. you learn something new everyday..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Oh God, I was so delighted with that Paper.

SEC, all is forgiven.

I did the essay on the Celtic Tiger, and even though pretty much everyone else seems to have done the same, I'm fairly confident mine's going to stand out, it was all just so... perfect.
    Happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

coffey-16 wrote: »
    Pass Irish ridiculously easy!:p

Ha i was finished before half 2! Hav'nt studied it since the morning of the oral and not studying tomorrow with business!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

IRISH

I loved it.
    Oh dear god.
    Thank god I didn't waste time learning Heritage.
    THE VERY ESSAY came up.
    Brilliant!
    Comprehensions were the easiest I've EVER seen in the LC Papers - not sure if the answers were great but I understand most of both of them.
    The Gaeltacht in Canada was in Dremire a few months ago too!

Tape = Oh dear god.
    It was fantastic.
    They really must be going easy on us this year.

Only bit that caught me out was that Lotto bit?! icon_confused.gif

Other than that I'm in love.
    Tomorrow is going to be a nightmare though. icon_sad.gif

yeah i could barely hear the guy with the deep voice either! and people kept making noise in my centre too

the damn examiner starting walking around giving out small clips in my exam, talk about distracting...

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

That paper was amazing!
    I'd only learnt the one essay (cúlú :P) and I was freaking out because everyone was saying bochtanas idirnáisiúnta was going to come up.
    So, so happy.
    Even if pretty much everyone in the country did the same essay. The marking scheme is going to be a bitch.

I hope it's not going to be like maths, where the paper one was piss easy and the paper two was horrific!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭vladglenin

:D

I stayed well away from it, as you're now going to be competing with >75% of people now doing that essay.

At the very least, my essay will be a break from the others and their Cúlú.
    Cothrom na Féinne duit though!:)

You are such a <snip>Seiously, quit the personal abuse</snip>

hate the way that 98% of people don't understand what gimp actually means

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭don101

officially raging i had no recession essay learned. seemed to be the norm in my class but i was like "no, no i wont". now i like "yes, i really should have". still think i pulled it together. is the 3rd world and poorness there to far out of context for an tiogar ceilteach? i said we were giving less money to them to try and swing it back to the celtic tiger! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

OL was so easy, I could swear blind that I've done that Des Bishop comprehension before.

Aural was OK except that stupid northern guy at the end, Scór post? Screw you buddy I wrote 15 thinking "No Scór couldn't actually be a Score!"

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

score is old fashioned speak for twenty AFAIK lol, I wrote down there was a score of jobs available in that centre place...

And YES I found the listening extremely hard! But I'm just horrificly bad at the aural in general :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

OL paper was grand. Never need to look at another Irish book again.

Paper 2 ?
    phasers wrote: »
    OL was so easy, I could swear blind that I've done that Des Bishop comprehension before.

Aural was OK except that stupid northern guy at the end, Scór post? Screw you buddy I wrote 15 thinking "No Scór couldn't actually be a Score!"

yea i think i just wrote "score" :confused:

OL was grandd,, for the summer 2008 question i dont know why but mine went something like :
    • i went on holidays with my friend
    • when i got back my sister had a son
    • i also had a job
    • i liked my job
    • i wont be forgetting this summer
    (yea , i dont know either?)

then i did the letter about getting a new bike and going on a bike trip.. said i went to france for a bike race, i didnt win but i got to see france and blah blah weather blah blah ...

comprehensions were easyy..
    aural was grand other than the end ones. one of them talked really slow (making it soo hard to understand them) and one other one talked super speed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

It said scór but then specified what I understood as 15 jobs in a market and 5 additional jobs in a related office? I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

In the letter from Australia (OL) used "Sráid kangaroo" as the address.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

Did ordinary level. Completed with 45 minutes to spare :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Antamojo

I went for the Celtic Tiger essay, didn't study for it but still managed to do 2 1/2 pages.
    Hoping for a high C/ low B now so.

Does anyone else hate that chap with the Northy accent on the aurals?
    I was delighted that he had not come up, then I just heard his wretched voice in the last section.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

they way you lot are going on, do you learn whole essays off or what? :eek:

Northerners sound f_cking daft in real life anyway; don't know why every syllable has to be a note in a huge wavering scale for their vocal cords... What could possibly make someone speak English that way let alone Irish?

CéN CaoI iNA bhVIL thaewoe is not Irish I don't care where you're from

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

Claypigeon wrote: »
    Northerners sound f_cking daft in real life anyway; don't know why every syllable has to be a note in a huge wavering scale for their vocal cords... What could possibly make someone speak English that way let alone Irish?

CéN CaoI iNA bhVIL thaewoe is not Irish I don't care where you're from

I happen to be from Donegal and I have a beautiful accent..
    And us 'Northys' can pronounce our words just fine, thank you very much..

HUNK wrote: »
    Did ordinary level. Completed with 45 minutes to spare :pac:

Nothing to be proud of tbh :P Most finished in the first 45

I happen to be from Donegal and I have a beautiful accent..
    And us 'Northys' can pronounce our words just fine, thank you very much..

No, you can't. Going from the highest point of your range to the lowest within one word is NOT okay. Certainly not something to be examined on as I can't for the life of me understand a word anyone says up the North beyond "situation" which is only recognisable because it comes out sounding like "sitchy ray-chain" in a shrill blast of noise

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Antamojo

CAILínnn MHAAITH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Antamojo wrote: »
    Does anyone else hate that chap with the Northy accent on the aurals?
    I was delighted that he had not come up, then I just heard his wretched voice in the last section.

Yeah I hate the fecker, really don't know what he does be saying half the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

"Burla"... Burla :confused: ...Oh Bearla. :rolleyes:
    Lulz

Advertisement