Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Paper 1. Aftermath.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

For OL I had prepared an essay on an accident in winter. I had lots of vocab on ice, fog etc. Turns out the essay title was 'Summer 2008' haha. I got around it by saying something like ''I couldn't believe it - it was summer but it was snowing! What was going on?" and then continuing on as usual ;)

Lol! It's Ireland...It's not THAT surprising...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Lol, yup. That was funny :D

Ours also tried to play the Junior cert one first.... Pure panic on everyone's face when nobody could get any of the first answers!!! :pac: :D

Haha, we had a tape incident aswel, our supervisor is in his 60s-ish, we were using a combined tape/cd player.....He must have pressed the tape play instead of the cd, we were sitting there listening to classical music for about 5 minutes! Then he was like "emm, thats not right is it?"...all of us in fits of laughter at this stage!
    Then after the first 2 bits he tried to put up the volume, ended up restarting the whole thing, then took about 5mins to get it back to where we were!
    And about half way through he realised that someone was missing, cd stopped again, sends teachers off looking for the eejit that went to the wrong room :rolleyes::D

Claypigeon wrote: »
    Essay in OL? Surely you mean the 1-2 page excuse for an essay that revolves around things happening "go tobann" and commenting on the weather "thanks be to God".

Lol? 1-2 page?!?

They're only looking for like, 10-15 lines!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Rob!

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Did anyone else's examiner let the CD run all the way to the end? It says "Slán!" :D

haha ya! i was like 'what the hell?'

OL paper was lovely. hadn't went over a thing and it went perfect with well over an hour to spare. being the big children we are, we all climbed out the bathroom window and headed off for a mighty game of soccer in the park before the aural.:p (our teachers don't let us leave the school cuz there jerks!!)

Rob! wrote: »
    haha ya! i was like 'what the hell?'

OL paper was lovely. hadn't went over a thing and it went perfect with well over an hour to spare. being the big children we are, we all climbed out the bathroom window and headed off for a mighty game of soccer in the park before the aural.:p (our teachers don't let us leave the school cuz there jerks!!)

They can't stop you leaving. School is finished, and they hold no authority. Everything's being run by the SEC, so they're the only people who can stop you leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

HL - was so happy Celtic Tiger came up! :D And those giving out about it should get over it really, we're not all fluent Irish speakers who can make up an essay on the spot.

Thought the listening was ok, last page of questions were kinda hard enough though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

handiest paper ever

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

aine-maire wrote: »
    Did Tíogar Ceilteach! Sligobrewer,fyi,did not have an essay learned off(didn't even have a plan learned off) just made up my plan on spot and wove in the aul' nathanna I'd learned :D

:D

I stayed well away from it, as you're now going to be competing with >75% of people now doing that essay.

At the very least, my essay will be a break from the others and their Cúlú.
    Cothrom na Féinne duit though!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭GVNDNN

Ordinary was grand ,
    Got mixed up in a few bits on the tape :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

Lol? 1-2 page?!?

They're only looking for like, 10-15 lines!!!

I know aye. :)

Going for a B or an A1 in OL though :)

And I needed something to do in order to not leave early before even the foundation level people who leave after 5 minutes because they're dying for a fag (I'm sure every school has them)

That

SLÁN : D

bit at the end of the tape made me smile, most of the room started laughing at the sheer geekiness of her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Rob!

They can't stop you leaving. School is finished, and they hold no authority. Everything's being run by the SEC, so they're the only people who can stop you leaving.

And i agree completely, but in our school they are some form of tyrants! to be fair, most are lovely, but the few that aren't really really drive us insane. the bathroom was just old-time childish antics for the sake of it. it was really just to provoke more than anything else..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I stayed well away from it, as you're now going to be competing with >75% of people now doing that essay.

Heehee, that was my plan too. All the rest of the class seems to have done the recession....I toyed with the idea of doing the teenagers one, till i realised all i had done on that topic is alcohol/drugs. Wonder how that would have gone down..."The most important things to me in my teenage years were drink & drugs..." :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭GVNDNN

the foundation level people who leave after 5 minutes because they're dying for a fag (I'm sure every school has them

:P:pac::pac:

Rob! wrote: »
    And i agree completely, but in our school they are some form of tyrants! to be fair, most are lovely, but the few that aren't really really drive us insane. the bathroom was just old-time childish antics for the sake of it. it was really just to provoke more than anything else..........

Two of my friends that were doing OL (and had dropped from HL like me and were loving the fact it was utter easy-on-a-sheet) left v. early and the Super started chastising them over it "being their native language" and "would you not take it seriously" because they'd "need it in a few years!".

I know aye. :)

Going for a B or an A1 in OL though :)

And I needed something to do in order to not leave early before even the foundation level people who leave after 5 minutes because they're dying for a fag (I'm sure every school has them)

Hehe - I did a page for the sceal too so :)

Lol, yeah, one of the foundation level guys was behind me - quite a sound chap tbh! But after a while... heard some noise, and saw another friend turn around and start laughing.... He'd fallen asleep on the desk and was snoring! :D:D:D

Heehee, that was my plan too. All the rest of the class seems to have done the recession....I toyed with the idea of doing the teenagers one, till i realised all i had done on that topic is alcohol/drugs. Wonder how that would have gone down..."The most important things to me in my teenage years were drink & drugs..." :rolleyes:

Hah! Classy burd! ;):p :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

I know, I was VERY tempted to do the Gaeilge one after my oral (Ó is breá liom an Gaeilge, caithfimid í a chaomhnú......is teanga ársa í......is ar aghaidh.........)

But seeing as I'd done bochtanas for the mocks I went with the cúlú....

I did put in about how I think it will affect stádas na Gaeilge, so hopefully that'll set it apart :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

OL paper was grand. Never need to look at another Irish book again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

IS there a sample paper up online anywhere, or could someone scan me this years one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭lorna100

Best paper ever - everyone doing honours in the classroom were whooping and shaking our fists in the air when we saw tiogar ceilteagh!
    The comprehensions seemed to me so much easier than previous years, and the listening was incredibley easy, didnt get the seanfhocal though.

And to those of you giving out that people have learnt off an essay - I wrote the essay, and re wrote it until it was perfect, then learnt off by heart, word for word, a four page essay, in the hope that it would pay off - and it did. Just because I didnt make it up on the spot I am no less deserving of my A - do you not know the amount of work involved in learing one off?

Anyway, im pretty sure I p*ssed all over that paper. A2/B1 please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Think i passed at least:)

the comprehensions were soooo easy didnt have to gueess the answers.
    my essay was basically all oral work and the tape was grand.

im happy:)

dlofnep wrote: »
    IS there a sample paper up online anywhere, or could someone scan me this years one?

examinations.ie of course as usual as for all exams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

examinations.ie of course as usual as for all exams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 xprincessashx

nice enough paper....i was so terrified there would be horrible titles!!!
    did an tiogar ceilteach of course...along wit 99% of the country :D

comprehensions were meh, probably easier than other years...kinda hard to change some bits though...

ah well it's over...hopefully i'll pass...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Someone in my centre just blurted out, "there riding the f*ck out of Des Bishop!" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

ridiculously easy!!! comprehensions were so easy, I understood almost every word. I did a brilliant aiste on the ceilteach tigor, just wrote a load of ****e but it was good ****e! ;) 4 and a half pages and I still left over an hour early, they really do give you way too much time, how could you stay for the whole thing?

and the listening was so easy too, had a bit of trouble with the last section but other than that I got almost every question right.

can't get over how easy it was. what is tomorrow's paper going to be like? probably impossible now after that easy one!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I did the díospóireacht, so hopefully les competition there! I had about a page of a standard opening a closing and about a page and a half of my own stuff. The actual aguments were pretty weal but I made 3 points and a rebuttal (to Gobnait on the other team) so hopefully that should be enough content-wise. I think my Irish was ok too, corected a lot of the silly mistakes when i checked it over.

I'm a little worried bout the comprehensions. I found them easy to understand but hard to put into my own words without changing the meaning somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

creggy wrote: »
    Someone in my centre just blurted out, "there riding the f*ck out of Des Bishop!" :pac:

Yeah did he come up before? I'm almost certain I've answered a comprehension on him. I knew what degree he did before I even read the piece:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

lorna100 wrote: »
    everyone in the classroom were whooping and shaking our fists in the air when we saw tiogar ceilteagh!

Ha ha, just have this image of a loada people with big gowns and morter boards...I imagine we're not to take this literally?
    And as for the people giving out about it being too easy, even if everyone did the Tiogar Ceilteach, it's only 20/100 for ábhar, so anyone going for the A is still gonna get in on the Irish like, and it gives everyone else a chance too. And is it just me, or was the guy with the really deep voice a bit unneccessary on the listening? It's testing your Irish, being able to hear them would help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭coffey-16

Pass Irish ridiculously easy!:p

Advertisement