Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Paper II (HL) - How was it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fince

NerdPantzz wrote: »
    why is everyone trying to explain questions from the exam? we never have to do maths again!!!! Focus on upcoming subjects rather that worrying about things that cant be changed

Never HAVE to do maths again?

Never GET to do maths again. (unless you repeat [touch wood], or study it in college as i'm hoping to do [touch wood])

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭galway.gaa

Fince wrote: »

Never GET to do maths again. (unless you repeat [touch wood], or study it in college as i'm hoping to do [touch wood])
    nicely phrased my friend:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

SNAP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

Bye bye A1.....

Just what I was thinking...:(

SNAP

hoping to study maths next year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

What course are you planning on doing next year?

Is there many people who want to do maths around?

I'm probably the only person out of a year of 200 who would have any inclination to do maths in college..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Alexl

Des23 wrote: »

I'm probably the only person out of a year of 200 who would have any inclination to do maths in college..

My first choice is science in trinity, one third of that is maths,cant wait, I also have maths and economics down.

hoping to study maths next year?

dont think ill go down the pure maths root but definitely something heavily based in maths like engineering, im going to spend the next four years of my life surrounded by ugly men :) lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 michaelkhan3

Any one planing to do any kind of Engineering get ready to do Maths a lot of Maths

ive civil engineering down in ul. sweet as. loads of maths but i wasnt able to do physics:( dont know how that will effect me. i also get a maths bonus which makes the 490 points very achievable cause i reckon ill get the A2 or at least a B1 in maths. thats at least 115 points from maths:cool:

• Advertisement

galway.gaa wrote: »
    ive civil engineering down in ul. sweet as. loads of maths but i wasnt able to do physics:( dont know how that will effect me. i also get a maths bonus which makes the 490 points very achievable cause i reckon ill get the A2 or at least a B1 in maths. thats at least 115 points from maths:cool:

Good luck with maths I was in that Engineering Maths class this year its hard.
    The physics isnt too bad but i did physics for the LC.

Good luck with maths I was in that Engineering Maths class this year its hard.
    The physics isnt too bad but i did physics for the LC.
    how different is it to leaving cert maths? what topics from leaving cert are on it?

how different is it to leaving cert maths? what topics from leaving cert are on it?

Its a lot harder not helped by the fact that the Lecturer is very hard to understand. Its mostly ?Diferentiation Integration but things get a lot harder.

Its a lot harder not helped by the fact that the Lecturer is very hard to understand. Its mostly ?Diferentiation Integration but things get a lot harder.
    sound sure well see how it goes:D

I've maths in Trinity down as my second choice, and maths in Maynooth down as my third. TP in Trinity is first.

Planning on doing maths or something with a good bit of maths in it (i.e. engineering)?

TP ?

TP ?

Theoretical physics. I'm still 50/50 between that an maths, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

Financial Maths in UCC is my first choice, followed by Pure Maths in Trinity. I thought paper one was fine but paper two was a fair bit harder. I need a B3. I'm optimistic that I'll get it, but not completely certain. Avoiding a post mortem is proving to be very difficult.:rolleyes:

I've Actuarial and Financial Studies in UCD down, its not really 'pure' maths or anything but I think it is still pretty maths heavy, and in terms of employment it is a very good degree. There's also the whole economics, statistics and computer side to it which would probably be cool enough.

The points are pretty high though, so after that it is either TP in Trinity, or Mathematical Sciences in UCC. I think I'd be happy to do either, but I'd probably end up going to UCC as it is only a 20 minute drive from my house. You can go down the actuary route through Mathematical Sciences in UCC aswell, but I'd love to move to Dublin, plus the UCD course has more exemptions. It is kind of what I have my heart set on at this stage.

I feel I would probably get bogged down in all the abstract stuff if I was to pursue a pure maths degree. I mean I don't dislike it, I just prefer the less abstract things, at the moment anyway.. who knows what college maths will be like.

I was looking at engineering and stuff for ages, but after a while I realised that the only reason I was considering it was because people told me it was the way to go, as parents and guidance councillers do. I don't think it would be my thing to be honest

Ah right right, I see.

That's funny, I'd be the complete opposite. For me, the more abstract and obscure the topic, the better. My one nightmare about going into maths/theoretical physics is that after a few years I'll end up in finance.

• Advertisement

Ah right right, I see.

That's funny, I'd be the complete opposite. For me, the more abstract and obscure the topic, the better. My one nightmare about going into maths/theoretical physics is that after a few years I'll end up in finance.

me 2 i wanna end up doing something a bit crazy travel the world and all that - maths can lead into almost anything though so i think its a really good degree

hoping to do actuary, in DCU probably, chance of UCD. failing that, maths science in UCC. Apparently the actuary course in DCU in much more maths based than in UCD, which was putting me off it this time last year but now i'm thinking it could be a good thing as its a Science degree rather than a Business degree.

Same as you Des, living in cork but wanna move to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

TP in TCD as well, yeah!

Fringe wrote: »
    TP in TCD as well, yeah!

It seems kind of popular this year...

I hope all of ye don't go shoving up the points to the levels they were at a decade ago!

It seems kind of popular this year...

I hope all of ye don't go shoving up the points to the levels they were at a decade ago!
    what are the points for TP?

what are the points for TP?

It's 500 now. But you'd want ~520 to be safe, I'd say. A decade ago it was closer to 600, around 570 (at least that's what I was told, anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Jammy, what are you expecting to do with a TP degree? From what i've heard there aren't alot of jobs available with it. It's more of a "I have degree in TP" thing you can tell strangers on the street :P

That being said i have it on my CAO as No.5 :P

I can definitely see the reasoning behind the points of not wanting to end up doing a 'business' degree. I feel that the business route would definitely not be for me. I do love maths, but I also love the idea of making lots of money, and for that reason I have chosen the actuary route.

I still would have fears that I'd end up in a course that just wasn't for me, and being grouped in with a load of business students and having to take exams in the business probably wouldn't be my thing. But I checked the course out, and it is in the UCD school of science and the only classes that seemed to be a bit more business-ey were like accounting, which I would be able to bear.

It would be all the like, essay writing, and needing good people skills stuff that would turn me off.
    Jammy, what are you expecting to do with a TP degree? From what i've heard there aren't alot of jobs available with it. It's more of a "I have degree in TP" thing you can tell strangers on the street

It would be FAR more valuable than that. It would put you in a different league of employment from having an Arts degree or something along those lines. Finance and all that, plus stock trading and risk management and things like that, or an actuary. Just because these jobs are not highly publicized in the populace does not mean they do not exist. A lot of the jobs that you can get are just extremely specialized and varied that its a lot more than just something to brag about. Have you not heard the news about the shortage of mathematically literate graduates. They are introducing a new maths course because they need more people who are able to do maths.

I didn't mean for that to sound like an attack or anything, just stating that the degree is far more than something you would hang on the wall.

Also being a lecturer or something academic is also a possibility if you go on to pursue a phD

Jammy, what are you expecting to do with a TP degree? From what i've heard there aren't alot of jobs available with it. It's more of a "I have degree in TP" thing you can tell strangers on the street :P

Well, my plan is to go onto a postgrad. degree, and eventually, if things go to plan, go into research/lectureship. My dream is to go into research, but honestly, I don't have a clue: it's impossible to know at this stage.
    Des23 wrote:
    I do love maths, but I also love the idea of making lots of money

That's a dilemma I went through a year or so ago. It took me a long time to decide, but I decided to go towards what I want and not let money influence my decision. Although, I'm hoping I can still make some money out of pure maths/theoretical physics!

But I agree with the whole business side of things. I'd absolutely hate it, anyway. I'm quite happy with the thought of never having to write a particularly long essay in a short space of time again.

• Advertisement

I can definitely see the reasoning behind the points of not wanting to end up doing a 'business' degree. I feel that the business route would definitely not be for me. I do love maths, but I also love the idea of making lots of money, and for that reason I have chosen the actuary route.

I still would have fears that I'd end up in a course that just wasn't for me, and being grouped in with a load of business students and having to take exams in the business probably wouldn't be my thing. But I checked the course out, and it is in the UCD school of science and the only classes that seemed to be a bit more business-ey were like accounting, which I would be able to bear.

are you not considering the DCU actuarial option at all? its more maths, longer established, less points (don't know if thats a concern for you or not) same amount of exemptions.

Advertisement