Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Paper II (HL) - How was it?

Options
  • 08-06-2009 12:24pm

I thought it was ok, not too bad. I got three questions out fully, and the guts of two others. I made a stupid mistake on the probability, but, sure what can you do.

So, how did ye think it was?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

epic fail =((((((((((((

the paper didn't suit me...liked paper1 more

the vector Q was nice..and that was about it ...

i wouldn't fail it like, but i say i d get a C ...

*sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lovemaths

wasnt the worst really!! same for me got 3 q's out perfectly but made sooo many mistakes in the others :( but its over now!!! Irish next!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

Hard to say. Paper One was a lot easier. I got four questions more or less out fully. Made a very stupid mistake in trigonometry. Question 1 c was quite tough, as was 4c. Didn't do question 2 and only half attempted question 6 before leaving it. Overall it was alright I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Thought it was grand now

Delighted that stats and difference equations were all in q7!!!

Trig was grand by the most

Further prob wasnt too bad

Line/circle were both grand

Vectors was a bit rough, didnt really like it too much! Never really have though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I went completely blank for Q8 (c). I knew this would happen:
    Davidius wrote:
    Still, Q8 is a sure winner for its simplicity.*

*Watch out for the Maths P2 Aftermath thread where I'll announce that I made a bollox of Q8
    It also didn't help that some eejit in the back didn't know how to breath properly so I spent the exam listening to whistling noises.

I did alright in most of my questions. I didn't get to finish 1(c) and 7(c) because I ran out of time. I also abandoned ship half way through Q6 because I didn't think of it as reliable.

• Advertisement

Out of curiosity, what answers did people get for 6 (b) & (c)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

It was an unbelievably straightforward paper, especially the trig and vectors questions.

Though I did still manage to mess up question 8. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 NoHands

question 8 was tricy, everything else was fine.

cant believe how simple trig was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Fine paper overall, i think. Nothin too sneaky. Hopin for an A2 overall:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Alexl

Happy Overall,
    Cirlcel full marks, very nice question
    Vectors was straight forward
    Line was ok, C(ii) was tough, completely blanked
    Two trig questions were pretty nice,

Statistics was nice, didnt know hot to get sum of the series though, any ideas?????

Maclaurin was fine except for the root 17 part, had no idea.

Hopefully I got the A1 overall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Alexl wrote: »
    Statistics was nice, didnt know hot to get sum of the series though, any ideas?????

Maclaurin was fine except for the root 17 part, had no idea.

Was wondering about b(ii) as well. Was it connected to part (i). Didnt have a clue. Just put down Un factorial!

For the root 17, you had to manipulate it into: (16(1+1/16))^ 1/2. Take out the four. Put in 1/16 for x and then multiply the answer by four

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Didnt like that paper it didnt really suit me. Dont really see myself getting a B now but hopefully the honour is still there..

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Was wondering about b(ii) as well. Was it connected to part (i). Didnt have a clue. Just put down Un factorial!

For the root 17, you had to manipulate it into: (16(1+1/16))^ 1/2. Take out the four. Put in 1/16 for x and then multiply the answer by four
    for root 17 i let it equal to root 1 + 16. 16 being the x in root 1+x?
    durin revision yesterday there was one like it and thats how it was answered!

overall not a bad paper!
    Got 50/50 in both line and circle:D was a bit of a challenge but got them! the trig wasnt bad either, didnt get 4c(part 2) though but i got down well into it! the second trig question was grand , c part was a piss take. (the block of cheese) and i left out b (part 3) only 5 marks im guessin!
    ah the advanced calculus was frustratin to say the least! goin well got the integration by parts done, got the maclaurin and then the fekin cylinder in the sphere :( very annoyin because i was could nail them max mins!
    and finally to vectors! might have got 20 - 30 marks there being generous! only spent half an hour this morning at them - could never get them!
    by the way i marked them myself should hopefully come out with a high B overall!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

ayapatrick wrote: »
    for root 17 i let it equal to root 1 + 16. 16 being the x in root 1+x?
    durin revision yesterday there was one like it and thats how it was answered!

overall not a bad paper!
    Got 50/50 in both line and circle:D was a bit of a challenge but got them! the trig wasnt bad either, didnt get 4c(part 2) though but i got down well into it! the second trig question was grand , c part was a piss take. (the block of cheese) and i left out b (part 3) only 5 marks im guessin!
    ah the advanced calculus was frustratin to say the least! goin well got the integration by parts done, got the maclaurin and then the fekin cylinder in the sphere :( very annoyin because i was could nail them max mins!
    and finally to vectors! might have got 20 - 30 marks there being generous! only spent half an hour this morning at them - could never get them!
    by the way i marked them myself should hopefully come out with a high B overall!

I'm pretty sure you can't let it be equal to 16, the series only converges for -1<x<1.
    Just gonna throw up a few answers, no clue if they're right.
    6Biii - 12 boys.
    6ci - 10/100
    6cii - 45/100
    6ciii - 16/100 (I think thats what I wrote)

The cylinder was weird, i think it had a cubeds and root 3s.
    For 7bii - was it something like the sum of a geometric series (with a and r = 5) and then -5n at the end?
    7c was a giant mess.

3cii - Plus or minus 1? Scribbled that down at the end, probably wrong.

Anyone get the same?
    Thought it was quite a tough paper.
    Postmortems are fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Alexl

The answer I got I think was (4 x Pi x a^3) / root 3.
    Or something similar

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Polarity

For 8c I got pi.a^2.. no idea if it's right though!

Thought paper 1 was much better.

I'm pretty sure you can't let it be equal to 16, the series only converges for -1<x<1.
    Just gonna throw up a few answers, no clue if they're right.
    6Biii - 12 boys.
    6ci - 10/100
    6cii - 45/100
    6ciii - 16/100 (I think thats what I wrote)

For 7bii - was it something like the sum of a geometric series (with a and r = 5) and then -5n at the end?
    7c was a giant mess.

3cii - Plus or minus 1? Scribbled that down at the end, probably wrong.

Anyone get the same?
    Thought it was quite a tough paper.
    Postmortems are fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun

wont argue with ya about the last bit of maclaurin (not sure), thought i had it.
    dunno whaat i got for the 3c part but id put money that i had it right!
    i put in the rearranged x' and y' into y=mx. worked it and i think i had something like 3xx' + 2yy' = 3x'm + 4y'm and let the x part on the left equal the x part on the right! (them numbers arent what i put in just example, cannot think straight atal to remember much)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭WillyWonkaBar

I found paper one hardest.. dunno why and then this paper was very easy..
    Vectors question was my best question id say..
    but ill see what result comes back :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭SugoiHito

I thought the paper was quite good over all...got almost all of it done,pretty sure messed up some parts though!
    For Q5 (iii) what did people say and how they explained it?I said A was False and B was True...and the explanations i gave were not very convincing...what did everyone else say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 NoHands

SugoiHito wrote: »
    I thought the paper was quite good over all...got almost all of it done,pretty sure messed up some parts though!
    For Q5 (iii) what did people say and how they explained it?I said A was False and B was True...and the explanations i gave were not very convincing...what did everyone else say?

I said the same thing. For the first one i said that the sin of an angle was the same for angles in the first and second quadrant (150 and 30 for example) and therefore, while they both equaled 1/2, 150 was not equal to 30.

For the second one my answer was less convincing and went something along the lines that for the sin-1x = sin-1x2 the x's would have to be the same, as sin-1(0.5) is 30 and not 150 according to the log tables so x = x. Im not sure how valid the argument is but oh well...

• Advertisement

NoHands wrote: »
    I said the same thing. For the first one i said that the sin of an angle was the same for angles in the first and second quadrant (150 and 30 for example) and therefore, while they both equaled 1/2, 150 was not equal to 30.

For the second one my answer was less convincing and went something along the lines that for the sin-1x = sin-1x2 the x's would have to be the same, as sin-1(0.5) is 30 and not 150 according to the log tables so x = x. Im not sure how valid the argument is but oh well...
    Oh yeah...my explanations went along the same line!
    I said the first was false cos they are angles and could be different to give same result but in the second the x are numbers so...they have to be the same...haha dunno how well this will go down!Awel,its only 5 marks or so!!

Everyone happy with the proofs that came up?
    well i didnt do the last question in vectors but otherwise the line proofs were sound! Angle between two lines and that f maps every line onto a line!

I wasnt quite sure what to do with the line proof?I got the f(L)....and then subbed in x' and y'.....:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

i thought it was alright paper 1 was better from what i counted as def right i think i have a b1 overall pretty upset on missing out on the A i blanked on the last part of the first trig Q and on the last part of the circle :( ---Calculus was easy thank god)

SugoiHito wrote: »
    I wasnt quite sure what to do with the line proof?I got the f(L)....and then subbed in x' and y'.....:confused:
    thats it! should have cancelled down to ax + by +c = 0 then

ayapatrick wrote: »
    thats it! should have cancelled down to ax + by +c = 0 then
    Oh really??Hahah i didnt know what i was doing!!
    Didnt cancle down though....:(
    Thanks,i feel much better about it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 michaelkhan3

Did any one do the Probability option? What was that like?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭BLARG

Lovely stuff, so much better than Paper 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭KokaNoodles

I found paper one hardest.. dunno why and then this paper was very easy..
    Vectors question was my best question id say..
    but ill see what result comes back :D
    same, to bad most thought paper 1 was easier cause they'l mark that harder and paper 2 easier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

didnt do fantastically at all , question 8 and MC series took way to long and i didnt get it out in the end =[

Advertisement