Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Paper II (HL) - How was it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭coffey-16

Suprisingly......it went well

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Im sickened. I didn't need HL Maths, but did it as a challenge.
    I think i failed it now! Don't know what to do but I just can't Repeat the year.
    Can i just sit Maths next year on its own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

Suited me much more than paper 1.

Thought Q6 was a toughie, but I think I got it mostly right, did 7 questions anyway.

For Q8 B ii you had to leave x = 1/16 then fill that in and multiply the series by four to get the approximation for root 17.

Vectors was a beaut of a question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I didn't like it at all, i dunno it just didnt seem to click today :(

Started with Q8, got something stupid that told me the square root of 17 is 244 (ha!) so spent waaay too long figuring that out. Max/min was grand tho.

Then went to Q3, stupidly blanked on b(ii) and c(ii), got the b part out at the very end but not the c part.

Then Q1, again blanked on the b(ii) that i eventually got at the end. Couldn't do c tho, wrote about 3 pages on any little bit of inspiration that came into my head :o

At this stage was feeling quite sick, was even shaking! Arghh i hate that feeling when you cant get things out and you know in the back of your head you've to go back to it :(

Trig 4 and 5 went grand, felt like cheering that id managed to finish out a q :D
    As did q6, which went grand, was odd but it worked out ok :)

Wayy preferred paper 1!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

That was a really good paper. Some questions were easier than what they've put up recently. Vectors, trigonometry and stats were great questions. They also separated probability! The probability though was horrible. I basically just ended up listing everything to get the answers.

Also, for the root 17 one, they said express it as a fraction but my calculator just gave me a decimal after I got the answer... So I just said something like 41320/100000.

Brilliant paper though overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭sron

Des23 wrote: »
    Suited me much more than paper 1.
    For Q8 B ii you had to leave x = 1/16 then fill that in and multiply the series by four to get the approximation for root 17.

Did everyone else get a ridiculously large fraction? It seemed close enough to root 17 but any answer with a 5 digit denominator always looks wrong to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭galway.gaa

8(c)(ii) anyone get pie(8a^3/root3-8a^2)?????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

well root 17 equals like 4.231 or something which is what I got and then I just threw it over a thousand... kind of a stupid thing to ask really.

And who ever said that they had to list everything for probability they werent alone.. It was just counting and stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nihilist21

That paper really didn't suit me, supposed it balances out since I did v.well on paper 1.

Q1 = Got the first 3 parts, didnt have time for C (came back to this at the end)

Q2 = Lovely question, I somehow managed to not get Bii I think, but the rest was fine.

Q4 = Got all except Cii I think.

Q5 = Should have got all of this, but for C I must have made a slip since I kept getting a v.v.low answer despite going about it the correct way (used cosine rule, and then 1/2(ab.sinc)). Was a pleasent question overall though.

I completely blanked on question 6 (was hoping it would have a difference equation as it usually does) so went on to question 7.

Q7 = My worst question, got A, Bi and not Bii. Attempted C.

Q8 = Got A, Bi, not Bii, Ci and not Cii.

Overall I'm thinking around the 70%, with my paper 1 I could just get a B1. I would be thrilled with that, but i'm fairly sure I've got a B2.

Did anyone do groups? Part (c) was tricky enough, think I got it though. Had a look 11 too, part (c)(i) was very easy! I couldn't get x out of the equation in 8(c)(ii), not for the life of me.

Everything else was pretty ok. The vectors question was the easiest I've ever done, as was question 5. I though 6(b)(iii) was tricky enough, as was (c)(ii).

Nice paper overall, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Absolutely sickened. Did really well in Paper 1 and sucked absolute ass today. I didn't get any of the Max/Min problem, and I was banking on full marks in that. When I got home I did it perfectly, twenty minutes after leaving the exam. I was ****ing sickened.

I could only do about two questions all the way through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

F * U * C * K
    That was a disaster . . . . . . .. . . . . .After having done so well in P1:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

God Damnit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Rob!

I don't know why but i found paper 1 far easier. 1(c) just didn't work out for me but i hope il pick up marks for a decent approach.

Q3 was alright.

Q6 and Q7 seemed grand, although i'd love to know what other ppl got for comparison purposes.

the (c) parts to the trig were grand but for some reason the method to solve tan A/2 just didn't come to me. Hopefully it'll all have went ok for me when results are out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭yummy91

GA361 wrote: »
    F * U * C * K
    That was a disaster . . . . . . .. . . . . .After having done so well in P1:mad:
    I KNOW!!! I HATED that paper!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:
    So much for a B in maths:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

i thought it was grand, i got at least 70% of it right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭kevogy

for the maclavern series did anyone get

f(0) = 1/2
    f1(0) = 1/4
    f2(0) = 1/8
    F3(0) = 3/8

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

kevogy wrote: »

f(0) = 1/2
    f1(0) = 1/4
    f2(0) = 1/8
    F3(0) = 3/8
    Yeah except i got -1/8 i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭kevogy

o **** was i supposed to sub it into the maclavern series, i just got the terms

galway.gaa wrote: »
    8(c)(ii) anyone get pie(8a^3/root3-8a^2)?????????
    what did ye get so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭arthistory

NoHands wrote: »
    I said the same thing. For the first one i said that the sin of an angle was the same for angles in the first and second quadrant (150 and 30 for example) and therefore, while they both equaled 1/2, 150 was not equal to 30.

For the second one my answer was less convincing and went something along the lines that for the sin-1x = sin-1x2 the x's would have to be the same, as sin-1(0.5) is 30 and not 150 according to the log tables so x = x. Im not sure how valid the argument is but oh well...

I said something like that too!!

• Advertisement

kevogy wrote: »

f(0) = 1/2
    f1(0) = 1/4
    f2(0) = 1/8
    F3(0) = 3/8

Yes!! as far as i can remember!!

What did everyone else get for 5c,
    I got (5)^(1/2) cm^3

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fince

not many ppl putting up all their answers so here go's.

Q1 bi 3x+y-10=0
    ii k=3, k=-17
    c (x-4)^2 + (y-6)^2=40
    (x+4)^2 + (y-2)^2=40

Q2 a -3/5i + 4/5i
    bi q=b+c-a
    ii showed ab is parallel to cq i.e. b-a para to -1(b-a)
    ci 1/sqrt2

Q3a 2x+y-2=0
    bii x-3y-3, 3x+y-19
    cii 2/3 or 1/6 (pretty sure this isn't right)

Q4bii tanA/2 =13.58 (again, incorrect i'd say)

Q5a x=0,90,180
    biii False, true
    c 9.798

Q8a 1/4.e^4x-1/16.e^4x
    bii i left x=1/16 but forgot to multiply my answer by 4 so got 1.03 or something like that
    c r=sqrt(a^2-x^2)
    ii 4sqrt3/9.pi.a^3

now i understand why ppl don't do that. criticism and/or correction grudgingly accepted

Need some reassurance here!! hope i passed!! Did anyone get the following....

Q1. bi either x+3y-6 or 3x+y=10

bii k is 3 or -17

unit vector -3i+4j over root 5

Q3 bii 81x -4y-71 and 9x -4y-50

what was with c??

Q4 tan a/2 i got 1/4

Q5 a i only got 0 and 90???

Please......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

GA361 wrote: »
    What did everyone else get for 5c,
    I got (5)^(1/2) cm^3

I got 4(6)^(1/2) cm^2. It was an area question not Volume right?

For Q 4 biii. What did everyone get. I said first was false second true. What reasons did you give?

Oops . . . . . .

7(c) sqrert of /root2SD1 plus root3SD2

Someone plse tell me. im diein to know. eceryone said they struggled with this

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

God I hate maths.

For the C part of the circle question I got an answer. Not the right answer you have to understand, because no answer could be as ridiculous as mine. Fractions all over the gaff.

So after spending ages on that I was already way behind. Vectors was a nice question at least, I don't normally do well on vectors.

I liked the line, except the very last bit of C and the second part of B, they were both a bit dodge.

Trig was alright, apart from that horrendous cheese one which I barely did because I was running out of time.

Question 8 was dire, I'd be extrmely lucky not to have failed that question.

So all in all a pretty meh paper, mix of bad and good. Can't really say I care, all I'm happy about is no more maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

For Q 4 biii. What did everyone get. I said first was false second true. What reasons did you give?

I was wrecking my head to solve these , i was thinking true then false
    but i was like doing a whole load of examples so i said both were true , im probably wrong but at least i got one right! unless they're false then i got none =[

if you plug in like sin-1 300 and sin 1/2 surely they have to equal? i also messed up the graph , it went all the way up to pi and not through the origin! Blast...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fince

arthistory wrote: »
    Need some reassurance here!! hope i passed!! Did anyone get the following....

Q1. bi either x+3y-6 or 3x+y=10

bii k is 3 or -17

unit vector -3i+4j over root 5

Q3 bii 81x -4y-71 and 9x -4y-50

what was with c??

Q4 tan a/2 i got 1/4

Q5 a i only got 0 and 90???

Please......
    i got the same as you in 1bi.
    unit vector i said was over 5, not root5
    got completey differnt for 3bii
    think your tana/2 is right