Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local & European Elections 2009 - Results Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

mfitzy wrote: »
    I'm at a loss as to what the people of the city think they will achieve by further endorsing this already failed party. I'd say only here and Offaly did FF do so well.
    There is a lot of hot air surrounding those Mc Guinnesses in my view and very little tangible delivery like jobs or infrastructure.

FG held their own on an already good 04 showing. It is Labour who have polled poorly in the city. Their message has been far too negative with the likes of Fitzpatrick dictating pub opening hours.

McGuinnesses actually get something done if you want it, we had them out and they got infrastructure fixed that needed fixing, then it seemed Phil Hogan saw the work getting done and he sent a letter claiming it was he who had got the work done when it was John McGuinness (when on the council and a TD) who had come out a couple of times to make sure the work got done.
    That is a very tangible delivery of infrastructure, in this case it had been a road that had been neglected for decades...since it got fixed the amount of people who use it increased a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Min wrote: »
    McGuinnesses actually get something done if you want it, we had them out and they got infrastructure fixed that needed fixing, then it seemed Phil Hogan saw the work getting done and he sent a letter claiming it was he who had got the work done when it was John McGuinness (when on the council and a TD) who had come out a couple of times to make sure the work got done.
    That is a very tangible delivery of infrastructure, in this case it had been a road that had been neglected for decades...since it got fixed the amount of people who use it increased a lot.

Not doubting their work on individual stuff like that and that seems to be whats important in the locals to a big extent.
    I'm talking about big hitting stuff like extending the ring road, a new A&E facility at St. Lukes. I have seen very little of that kind delivered for Kilkenny, unfortunately. Maybe they focus solely on local stuff.

Is this an endorsement of the so called "anti-Cowen" strategy of John McGuinness, especially since he was sacked?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Alzar

Alzar wrote: »
    So far we have:

1. Andrew McGuinness, FF

2. Martin Brett, FG

3. Joe Malone, FF

Al.

Make that:

1. Andrew McGuinness, FF

2. Martin Brett, FG

3. Joe Malone, FF

4. John Coonan, FF

5. Malcolm Noonan, Green

6. Marie Fitzpatrick, Lab

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 sooshie

I have no idea. I haven't been speaking to anyone and I'm not down there myself just yet. Decided rather than waiting around like a nervous wreck that I'd relax at home for a while first!
    didnt see you there at all throughout the day........can i ask why??not the count you thought youd get?

• Advertisement

sure dont ye kno that the polish one , anna is goin out with mcguiness?

woops did i say that :)
    wheres the proof of that,......hilarious how rumours start:) anna was at the count with her long term boyfriend.....least she wasnt afraid to come out to cillin hill....unlike some:)

he also got the grants to build the new very big school of the holy spirit....providing jobs and a brill centre of kids with autism....

Paul Cuddihy (FG): 937
    Marie Fitzpatrick (Lab): 700
    Pat Fitzpatrick (Lab): 631
    Kathleen Funchion (SF): 667
    Frank Kavanagh (Ind): 443
    Betty Manning (FG): 979
    Andrew McGuinness (FF): 1,808 ELECTED
    Eugene McGuinness (Ind): 302
    Malcolm Noonan (Green): 1,100
    Sean O hArgain (Lab): 552
    McGuinness elected.

SECOND COUNT: Distribution of McGuinness's surplus of 543 votes:
    Martin Brett (FG): +29 = 1,231
    Sean Butler (Lab): +9 = 331
    John Coonan (FF): +94 = 1,071
    Paul Cuddihy (FG): +14 = 951
    Marie Fitzpatrick (Lab): +30 = 730
    Pat Fitzpatrick (Lab): +220 = 851
    Kathleen Funchion (SF): +31 = 698
    Frank Kavanagh (Ind): +13 = 456
    Betty Manning (FG): +23 = 1,002
    Eugene McGuinness (Ind): +31 = 333
    Malcolm Noonan (Green): +34 = 1,134
    Sean O hArgain (Lab): +15 = 567
    (non-transferable ballots = 0)
    Sean Butler is eliminated

what was that.....1,808 ELECTED....... to much to be just a "personal vote" as alot of ye seem to think.....go on andrew:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

mfitzy wrote: »
    Is this an endorsement of the so called "anti-Cowen" strategy of John McGuinness, especially since he was sacked?

It is an endorsement of John McGuinness, he is not some sheep who follows blindly. He is vocal, he was vocal about how the things are in the country before he became a junior minister, he was vocal as a junior minister and ultimately he got sacked for being real and being a leader in his own right, FF got a lot of support in the last election. FF would do much better if they had more people like him. There are two wings now in FF, the ones who want to sail along as if keeping things the same will solve the problems both for the country and the party.
    Then their are the people like John McGuinness who are not afraid of the word 'change' and with him you can see the honesty and I think that is why he perceived as a rebel, if he followed Brian Cowen and didn't say how he feels he would be just a sheep and the good thing is we dont have a sheep with him.
    I am glad he did what he did, it just confirmed I voted for the right person in the last election and I can trust him not to be a blind sheep even when he gets into a ministry.

It is an endorsement of John McGuinness, he is not some sheep who follows blindly. He is vocal, he was vocal about how the things are in the country before he became a junior minister, he was vocal as a junior minister and ultimately he got sacked for being real and being a leader in his own right, FF got a lot of support in the last election. FF would do much better if they had more people like him. There are two wings now in FF, the ones who want to sail along as if keeping things the same will solve the problems both for the country and the party.
    Then their are the people like John McGuinness who are not afraid of the word 'change' and with him you can see the honesty and I think that is why he perceived as a rebel, if he followed Brian Cowen and didn't say how he feels he would be just a sheep and the good thing is we dont have a sheep with him.
    I am glad he did what he did, it just confirmed I voted for the right person in the last election and I can trust him not to be a blind sheep even when he gets into a ministry.
    HERE HERE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 es

sooshie wrote: »
    didnt see you there at all throughout the day........can i ask why??not the count you thought youd get?
    wheres the proof of that,......hilarious how rumours start:) anna was at the count with her long term boyfriend.....least she wasnt afraid to come out to cillin hill....unlike some:)

what was that.....1,808 ELECTED....... to much to be just a "personal vote" as alot of ye seem to think.....go on andrew:)
    Considering that you're going out with Andrews brother, I think it's fair to say that your opinion doesn't count. To be honest, if I was Andrew and saw some of these comments (in particular the first one towards Darren Murphy), I'd be very very embarrassed.

es wrote: »
    Considering that you're going out with Andrews brother, I think it's fair to say that your opinion doesn't count. To be honest, if I was Andrew and saw some of these comments (in particular the first one towards Darren Murphy), I'd be very very embarrassed.
    well considering all thro the campaign darren murphy has been giving pathetic digs about andrew, thinking andrew wasnt going to get a seat etc.....i think ive a right to have my say...and no im not emma, im a good friend of hers but not her im afraid.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Jesus will ye all grow up and cop the **** on. The elections are over ffs, FF got slaughtered across the country which proves what was discussed in this very thread previously. Its clear that a lot of people think the McGuiness are an excellent team for Kilkenny, and if thats the case, then they have every right to be elected.

Anymore whining and winging will result in bans. That includes one hit wonders registering to have digs.

Also, with regards to the personal vote comment, my understanding was that while he got a lot of votes the transfers were not going to other FF candidates. So it seemed he was elected on a personal basis rather then party. I could be wrong, but its what the analysts were saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 es

well considering all thro the campaign darren murphy has been giving pathetic digs about andrew, thinking andrew wasnt going to get a seat etc.....i think ive a right to have my say...and no im not emma, im a good friend of hers but not her im afraid.
    Fair enough, the musical thing in the other thread plus the link to Andrew suggests otherwise but who cares. I'm an FF supporter by the way, but wouldn't be for much longer if I saw more of this childish tripe.

Sully wrote: »
    Jesus will ye all grow up and cop the **** on. The elections are over ffs, FF got slaughtered across the country which proves what was discussed in this very thread previously. Its clear that a lot of people think the McGuiness are an excellent team for Kilkenny, and if thats the case, then they have every right to be elected.

Anymore whinning and winging will result in bans. That includes one hit wonders registering to have digs.

well thanks for your comment about the mcguinness....i just feel alot of digs were constantly giving here about andrew before the elections by ppl ,yourself included, and we need our say now. ye all felt he wouldnt get elected, does nothing for the ppl of kk and is riding on the john mcguinness wave etc etc but i feel yesterday proved alot of ppl wrong. we are so so proud of andrew and how well he has done....i can have my say on this post, being a FF supporter doesnt exclude me from this discussion.theres alot of sour grapes me thinks:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

My comments were about FF in general and the illegal parking by Andrews team (plus him registering an alt account to backup his main account). I stand over those comments and I think its clear when you look at the bigger picture, I was correct.

I don't recall ever saying he wouldn't get elected, but I said FF will suffer which they did. :)

es wrote: »
    Fair enough, the musical thing in the other thread plus the link to Andrew suggests otherwise but who cares. I'm an FF supporter by the way, but wouldn't be for much longer if I saw more of this childish tripe.
    i can understand what you are saying but if you look thro other threads youll see nothing but posts blackening andrews name i just felt the need to now have my say. its now said, ill say no more only to reply.
    can completly understand you thinkin i was emma for the musical resons etc.... thats how i know here from the society.

My comments were about FF in general and the illegal parking by Andrews team (plus him registering an alt account to backup his main account). I stand over those comments and I think its clear when you look at the bigger picture, I was correct.

I don't recall ever saying he wouldn't get elected, but I said FF will suffer which they did. :)
    there was alot said by other ppl to...the results spoke mountains....ive had my say and ill say no more

i can understand what you are saying but if you look thro other threads youll see nothing but posts blackening andrews name i just felt the need to now have my say. its now said, ill say no more only to reply.
    can completly understand you thinkin i was emma for the musical resons etc.... thats how i know here from the society.

I did.. the comments seemed directed at his teams parking and FF in general. They were correct. I stopped plenty more pictures of his parking being posted (people PMing me asking can they post) as we covered that ground. The McGuinesses are FFs only success - despite Andrews father being given the sack from FF, id have dropped the FF badge personally after that.

I only know of them, I hear good things (before the election). Its clear judging by the results, the people on the ground in Kilkenny backup what I hear and will live with his parking.

Btw, did Darren get elected in the end?

While I agree with you, why didnt the McGuiness pull away from FF? By remaining in the party and giving the party probably the best news of these elections, you have shown no hard feelings to Brian Cowen and will happily stand by him and FF for what was done. Fair play I guess.

• Advertisement

I did.. the comments seemed directed at his teams parking and FF in general. They were correct. I stopped plenty more pictures of his parking being posted (people PMing me asking can they post) as we covered that ground. The McGuinesses are FFs only success - despite Andrews father being given the sack from FF, id have dropped the FF badge personally after that.

I only know of them, I hear good things (before the election). Its clear judging by the results, the people on the ground in Kilkenny backup what I hear and will live with his parking.

Btw, did Darren get elected in the end?

thanks for those comments, i can understand the parking, yes they were parking offences but theres plenty more dirty games going on in other parties that werent been talked about, i juat felt all negativity pointed andrews way...anyway enough of this talk.
    nope darren didnt get elected.

While I agree with you, why didnt the McGuiness pull away from FF? By remaining in the party and giving the party probably the best news of these elections, you have shown no hard feelings to Brian Cowen and will happily stand by him and FF for what was done. Fair play I guess.
    yeah the are stayin thro to the family tradition and stayin FF its the party they believe in.....they think certain ppl are not in the right positions in the dail eg brian and mary!! but they still stand tall as FF men. which i think deserves alot of respect...

thanks for those comments, i can understand the parking, yes they were parking offences but theres plenty more dirty games going on in other parties that werent been talked about, i juat felt all negativity pointed andrews way...anyway enough of this talk.

We covered that in the Waterford forum anyway. Not being from KK, I couldnt say what was being done here that was dirty.
    nope darren didnt get elected.

Poor chap, seemed like a decent bloke

Yes all very noble of him but what the hell is this going to do for the constituency. Mc Guinness was in a good position to be where decisions are amde and influence development and investment fore Kilkenny.
    In my opinion, to which I am fully entitled, he sacrifised the potential of delivery in favour of his own ego. I bet Cowen and co had a right aul laugh sacking him.

And no doubt "rebel" John will be voting along with his party this week. "Change" me arse ;)

More likes rats and a sinking ship to my mind.

Can we get back to discussing the rest of the election here locally?
    Despite the hullabaloo surrounding the McGuinness', it would seem a poor result indeed for the rest of the FF crew in the county so far.
    Their vote is down about 7% on an already poor 04 result.

Green party keep a seat, bucking the national trend.
    SF also look set to take their firast seat.

Anymore whining and winging will result in bans. That includes one hit wonders registering to have digs.

Also, with regards to the personal vote comment, my understanding was that while he got a lot of votes the transfers were not going to other FF candidates. So it seemed he was elected on a personal basis rather then party. I could be wrong, but its what the analysts were saying.

Exactly Sully. The McGuinesses saved their bacon by going against the grain. But yet remember all while staying loyal to FF. So therefore have 0 credility to my mind. As I've already said John will vote with Cowen this week. And that says all I need to know unfortunately.

What kind of stupid post is that? Gloating on the loss of another candidate.
    Lowest of the low. But not surprising either. His party polled nearly 12% ahead of FF in any case. So they made gains elsewhere. You can't win 'em all as they say. And FG and Labour will strengthen their hold on KK county council. Which is not exactly a resounding endorsement of FF.

Okay, not sure if we can talk much more about the McGuinesses increase. It seems clear to me they are good workers which is what any constituency needs.

SF haven't done to well across the country, very poorly in Waterford. Is the candidate known in the KK?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

It's not fair for Emma to be taking a shot at Darren Murphy, but at the same time, this forum has been full of this childish political squabbling for too long. I thought that it might have subsided by now but obviously not. Fingers crossed...

Anyway, fair play to all the candidates who got through. I doubt the political merits and indeed, priorities of a good smattering of them. The word cowboy being the operative one that comes to mind. But I am comforted by the presence on the new council of at least a few councillors who have the best interests of Kilkenny at heart and who have done some solid work in the past.

Here's hoping it'll work out well for all of us.

• Advertisement

Okay, not sure if we can talk much more about the McGuinesses increase. It seems clear to me they are good workers which is what any constituency needs.

SF haven't done to well across the country, very poorly in Waterford. Is the candidate known in the KK?

Yes, Kathleen Funchion, her father was a prominent trade unionist in Kilkenny for years (SIPTU I think). I would never vote SF but fair play tp her, looks set to take a seat on Kilkenny Borough council.
    Is her other half running in Waterford city?

Advertisement