Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local & European Elections 2009 - Results Thread

Options
  • 06-06-2009 2:22am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This thread is for results of the election count as we get them. Starts 9am tommrow. Europe on Sunday.

Keep predictions to main thread please! Any folk at the count can browse boards mobile to post; m.Boards.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

10:39 AM* RTE_Elections - Kilkenny city: Fianna Fail vote holding up and may match the 34% first preferences the party received in the city in last local elections

I'm surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Stephen wrote: »
    10:39 AM* RTE_Elections - Kilkenny city: Fianna Fail vote holding up and may match the 34% first preferences the party received in the city in last local elections

I'm surprised.

I'm not. J Mc Guinness has big support and bought a large portion of his votes. Plus '04 was not a good election for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭ChristIsMurph

Labour polling badly in the city
    Date:
    Saturday, June 6, 2009

EARLY indications are that the Labour Party is polling badly in Kilkenny City in the local elections. Almost 90% of the boxes have now been opened at the count centre in Cillin Hill and tallymen are already predicting that outgoing councillors Martin Brett, FG, and Green Malcolm Noonan will fight it out at the top of the poll.

Also polling very well is Councillor Andrew McGuinness but the bad news for his running mates is that the McGuinness vote in many cases would appear to be a personal one with the second, third and fourth preferences scattered among all parties. Newcomer Joe Malone of Fianna Fail is also polling steadily.

There is good news for Sinn Fein as Kathleen Funchion is doing very well and should be elected on the first count.

Back to Labour, and the tallymen say that both Sean Butler and Noel Frawley have a big fight on their hands.
    http://kilkennyalive.com/story/labour-polling-badly-city

Labour are too old and negative in Kilkenny. Not surprised Funchion doing well, ran a strong campaign

How are FG holding up ?

Ireland -East/Leinster constituency;

Seems to be Mc Guinness, Childers, and Phelan/Aylward for the last seat. Hopt to God Phelan pullls it off :D. Will be a tall order.

• Advertisement

I have no idea. I haven't been speaking to anyone and I'm not down there myself just yet. Decided rather than waiting around like a nervous wreck that I'd relax at home for a while first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭holidayhere

Stephen wrote: »

I'm surprised.
    Local elections are about local politics and local people.
    It is not a general election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I gave my first preference to JP Phelan and it seems as though he might pull it off. According to RTE now, Phelan is doing very well.

I have no idea. I haven't been speaking to anyone and I'm not down there myself just yet. Decided rather than waiting around like a nervous wreck that I'd relax at home for a while first!

Nerve wracking time for you. Very best of luck to you. We badly need good young people locally.

I'm about 250 according to tallymen

• Advertisement

Any indications on how Anna Michalska is tallying for FF?

Probably doing well. Heard they had her rounding up a lot of the Polish residents to get registered. Sure why wouldn't they want to keep the welfare flowing by voting FF ;). Meanwhile the country is borrowing 20 BILLION per year while these jokers are in power.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I'm about 250 according to tallymen

Overall, how is it looking for you?

I dunno yet. I only know mine! I could be within a chance. A lot depends where McGuinness's transfers goes. Apparently he has 3 quotas.

mfitzy wrote: »
    Probably doing well. Heard they had her rounding up a lot of the Polish residents to get registered. Sure why wouldn't they want to keep the welfare flowing by voting FF ;). Meanwhile the country is borrowing 20 BILLION per year while these jokers are in power.

I was curious, because I know a few Poles, who wouldnt vote for her. They saw her running as a sly move by FF to get their vote. Which is true!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

A lot depends where McGuinness's transfers goes. Apparently he has 3 quotas.

To the parking warden perhaps? :D

God the voters in KK city are are exactly like sheep. I can only hope this was some kind of misguided vote against Cowen.

FF getting the drubbing they deserve in the county though. Might not return any seat in Thomastowm I hear.

FF looking to retain 4 seats in Kilkenny. Talk about lemmings :(

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

sure dont ye kno that the polish one , anna is goin out with mcguiness?

woops did i say that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Nightwish wrote: »
    FF looking to retain 4 seats in Kilkenny. Talk about lemmings :(
    maybe those 4 people are the best candidates. these are local elections. electing people to deal with local issues. why vote for a lesser candidate because of their party.

• Advertisement

maybe those 4 people are the best candidates. these are local elections. electing people to deal with local issues. why vote for a lesser candidate because of their party.

You usually align yourself with a party you agree with in terms of how they run, their policies etc. Then you look at the character. It would seem that the McGuiness are a very popular family and it doesnt matter what they do - they will get elected. Its a personal vote, clearly, rather then a vote by party. In other areas, people simply couldnt stomach voting for a candidate that aligns themselves with FF. :)

maybe voting for parties instead of the person is why we get such ineffectual politicians (in central government anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I disagree... I believe that people vote for personalities over parties, and the crazy way the transfers often go confirms this.

fabbydabby wrote: »
    I disagree... I believe that people vote for personalities over parties, and the crazy way the transfers often go confirms this.
    i'd agree with this in local elections. maybe not so much in general elections.

in local elections people want politicians they know, that will sort out their issues.

Anybody hear whats going on in the county?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

KILKENNY BOROUGH COUNCIL
    Early results for Kilkenny Borough Council.
    Fianna Fail has bucked the national trend in Kilkenny. Cllr Andrew McGuinnenss, son of sacked Fianna Fail minister John McGuinness, has over two quotas in the Borough Council election, increasing his vote by 4% on 2004. Fianna Fail will get 35.7% of the vote in Kilkenny, ensuring that four of their candidates will get in. Also, for the first time ever, Sinn Fein will have a person on the Borough Council.

Fianna Fail: 34%
    Fine Gael: 26%
    Labour: 12%
    Greens: 7%
    Sinn Fein: 5.7%
    Others: 15.3%

Martin Brett (FG): 8.5%
    Sean Butler (Lab): 2.2%
    John Coonan (FF): 6.7%
    Paul Cuddihy (FG): 4.9%
    David Fitzgerald (FG): 5.1%
    Marie Fitzpatrick (Lab): 5.6%
    Noel Frawley (Lab): 1.3%
    Kathleen Funchion (SF): 5.7%
    Mick Greene (Ind): 3.9%
    Frank Kavanagh (Ind): 3.1%
    Jimmy Leahy (Ind): 4.1%
    Joe Malone (FF): 6.2%
    Betty Manning (FG): 6%
    Andrew McGuinness (FF): 15.1%
    Eugene McGuinness (Ind): 2%
    Anna Michalska (FF): 2.6%
    Darren Murphy (FG): 2.5%
    Malcolm Noonan (Green): 7%
    Sean O hArgain (Lab): 3.5%
    Roger O'Reilly (Ind): 0.3%
    Joe Reidy (FF): 3.4%

KILKENNY ELECTORAL AREA OF KILKENNY COUNTY COUNCIL

Early results in the Kilkenny Electoral Area of Kilkenny County Council.
    (7 seats)

Fianna Fail: 32.6%
    Fine Gael: 29%
    Labour: 14.6%
    Greens: 10.1%
    Sinn Fein: 6.3%
    Other: 7.4%

Martin Brett (FG): 12%
    Sean Butler (Lab): 3.5%
    John Coonan (FF): 9.5%
    Paul Cuddihy (FG): 8%
    Marie Fitzpatrick (Lab): 5.7%
    Pat Fitzpatrick (Lab): 6.3%
    Kathleen Funchion (SF): 6.3%
    Frank Kavanagh (Ind): 4.3%
    Betty Manning (FG): 8.9%
    Andrew McGuinness (FF): 16.8%
    Eugene McGuinness (Ind): 3.2%
    Malcolm Noonan (Green): 10.1%
    Sean O hArgain (Lab): 5.6%

For county votes http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/sectionhome.aspx?sectionID=2921

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Alzar

Update at 20.00hours

Elected to the Kilkenny Borough Council on the 1st Count

Andrew McGuinness, FF

Martin Brett, FG

Quota 662

Count 1 Results

Martin Brett, FG, 709- elected

Sean Butler, Lab, 180

John Coonan, FF, 568

Paul Cuddihy, FG 420

David Fitzgerald, FG, 430

Marie Fitzpatrick, Lab, 476

Noel Frawley, Lab, 107

Kathleen Funchion, SF, 474

Mick Greene, Indep, 344

Frank Kavanagh, Ind 272

Jimmy Leahy, Ind 344

Joe Malone, FF, 564

Betty Manning, FG 510

Andrew McGuinness, FF 1,266 -elected

Eugene McGuinness, Ind, 176

Anna Michalska, FF, 233

Darren Murphy, FG, 213

Malcolm Noonan, Green 610

Sean O'hArgain, Lab, 357

Roger O'Reilly, Ind, 26

Joe Reidy, FF, 319

Update at 21.50

Joe Malone, FF has been elected on the 2nd Count. That's 3 seats filled now with KK Borough Council

So far we have:

1. Andrew McGuinness, FF

2. Martin Brett, FG

3. Joe Malone, FF

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

Too early to say it's cut and dried, but appears like we're looking at a new Borough Council of:

McGuinness, Coonan, Malone (FF);

Brett, Manning, Cuddihy and Fitzgerald (FG);

Fitzpatrick (Lab);

Noonan (Greens);

Funchion (SF);

and two from Reidy, O hArgain, Greene and Leahy. Am I missing anyone obvious here?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Alzar

Update at 21.10hours

Andrew McGuinness, FF has been elected to the Kilkenny City Electorate Area on the first count

Update at 22.15
    Ballyragget Electoral Area
    Count 1 Results
    Quota- 1453

Maurice Shorthall, Lab, 2,004 - elected
    Mary Hilda Cavanagh, FG, 1,824 - elected

Al.

• Advertisement

I'm at a loss as to what the people of the city think they will achieve by further endorsing this already failed party. I'd say only here and Offaly did FF do so well.
    There is a lot of hot air surrounding those Mc Guinnesses in my view and very little tangible delivery like jobs or infrastructure.

FG held their own on an already good 04 showing. It is Labour who have polled poorly in the city. Their message has been far too negative with the likes of Fitzpatrick dictating pub opening hours.

Advertisement