Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Level Maths 2009(Paper 1): How was it for you?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I chickened out and dropped so I wouldn't know :D Still, twas the best decision for me to make so I'm happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Back Prince

i hated the paper so much was so difficult my paper 2 will need to hold be time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭.DarDarBinks

I chickened out and dropped so I wouldn't know :D Still, twas the best decision for me to make so I'm happy!
    How did you cope with pass>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭listowel1

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Yeha I think you're right, I got:
    s = (t^2 + 1)^1/2;
    ds/dt = 1/2(t^2 + 1)(2t)
    ds/dt = t(t^2 + 1) = (t^3 + [B][U][COLOR=red]t[/COLOR][/U][/B])

But Should have been:
    s = (t^2 + 1)^1/2;
    ds/dt = 1/2(t^2 + 1)[B]^-1/2[/B](2t)
    ds/dt = t/(t^2 + 1)^1/2

i had 2 say it 2 ya,,hopefully u didnt make dat mistake its only 1mark anyway!:cool:

How did you cope with pass>

Great, it was very easy. I did all 8 questions and had time afterwards to look through them again twice (I'd an hour left). Looking at my friend's higher paper though I'm pretty sure I would have been caught out on some questions :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭aisling.laura

why are people asking for how you do things now..?
    that just makes it worse, especially if you did it wrong.
    whats done is done, relax :)

i thought the paper was a lot better than i'd expected.
    Q3 and Q8 were lovely, i love the formula for a cone :)
    the first principles was the only one i hadn't revised, typical!
    but i reckon i'm heading for a decent C if paper two doesn't kill me!

anyone find it weird that there was no proofs though?
    could mean a few in paper two.. *shudder*

usually first principles is considered a "proof"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 NoHands

It meant her first approximation, before she used the method, which was 2. That had me for a while in the exam hall.

No im pretty sure you had to demonstrate that the root was between 2 and 2.5 and then that his 2nd approx was closer.

The first part is found by simply saying f(2) = i think it was a - number

and f(2.5) = a+ number (the opposite sign). this means the graph crosses the x axis between 2 and 2.5 therefore 2 is a closer approximation to the root than 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭aisling.laura

usually first principles is considered a "proof"

i know but i meant like the differential proofs, factor theorem etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

listowel1 wrote: »
    i had 2 say it 2 ya,,hopefully u didnt make dat mistake its only 1mark anyway!:cool:
    In the real exam I did end up with (t^3 - t), but not (t^3 - 1), which would have been even worse.

Not too concerned about a couple of slips or blunders, I got the bulk of the marks anyway I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Nice paper! :D

Q. 1 was cool

Q. 2 C ii) I think I got q is some multible of five or something...can't really remember.... The rest was simple.

Q. 4 was cool.

Q. 5 I got most of the way through B but then I just hit a wall. And I did C! I played around for a while on my calculator before I got it :D

Q. 6 Grand. Except the last bit, I bluffed through that....

Q. 7. I thought I had lopads of time, I somehow thought it was untill half twelve, then with ten minutes to go, I was getting a bit bogged down in b. Then I moved onto...

Q. 8 Good, exceot I forgot how to do c) Even though I did the stupid thing yesterday....

Overall, A1 hopefully! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Funnily enough, while looking over some stuff last night and this morning I thought to myself "Maybe I should look over logarithms just to be sure and the Newton-Raphson method as well". This was soon followed with "Nah, I'm sure it'll be grand".

How wrong I was.

Well actually I did intend to look over Newton Raphson but I forgot. :o

Paper 2 got me the A in the JC, hopefully it'll come to my aid. I'm actually looking forward to it. Going to prepare each question instead of doing the smart thing and studying for English. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

We can all take comfort that there is only a 3% fail rate on honours

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AndyWhite

Davidius wrote: »
    Funnily enough, while looking over some stuff last night and this morning I thought to myself "Maybe I should look over logarithms just to be sure and the Newton-Raphson method as well". This was soon followed with "Nah, I'm sure it'll be grand".

How wrong I was.

Paper 2 got me the A in the JC, hopefully it'll come to my aid. I'm actually looking forward to it. Going to prepare each question instead of doing the smart thing and studying for English. :pac:

A wonderful trait of us irish is that we never give up on something we believe in. for example the much used phrase "Nah, I'm sure it'll be grand". We always manage to hold on in faith that itll work for us some day! in fact, im hoping that day will be tomorrow since iv very little revised for english!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

How wrong I was.

This is exacly what i just said to myself in terms of english tomorrow. On 2nd thoughts, better do another poet and theme and issue....:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Alexl

Very happy with paper overall, a few tricky bits but they were giving away marks in other places. Got 7 q's done and had 20 mins to spare

Question1. Very Nice- part c got a wierd answer

Question 2. Nice question, roots theory good if you knew it, c ii was rock, i figured that p was 1 and r was 5 but I couldnt finish it

Question 3. Weird question but pretty nice. All my friends got caught out by matrices. They just did the diagonal matrice to^17. Which I think is wrong because te diagonal matrix was A^3.
    What i did was (A^3)^5 x A^2 which =A^17

Question 4. Didnt do

Question 5- Very nice question- If you knew how to base change logs.

Question 6- Bog Standard question, for the proof of the perpendicular tangents I said it had no turning points so therefor never perpendicular

Question 7- Weird question, but if you understood what they were asking it was a part (a) difficulty pt.c

Question 8- Couldnt have been easier, volume of a cone for a full part c, 2 mins to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

How wrong I was.

I looked over asymptotes last night, best idea ever! :D

Jay P wrote: »
    I looked over asymptotes last night, best idea ever! :D
    Pfft, real pros would know all about asymptotes without any need for revision!

However they may forget to sketch the curve. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

1. Handy
    2. A and B were grand. I think I got the first graph wrong, but the other two were definitely right.
    3. Lovely question. Didn't get the 1st part of the b part though. A and C were dead handy although I was shocked to see an integration question in there. It worked out grand though.
    4. Lovely question bar c (iii). 45 out of 50. Without a doubt.
    6. Didn't look at asymptotes at all. First two parts worked out fine though.
    7. There was definitely a misprint in that c part. Had to have been. I just kept going because I knew how to do Newton-Raphson.
    8. That was a gorgeous question. 50/50 unless I made a slip or a blunder somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

There was no misprint ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭galway.gaa

did anybody use logs to get out 1 (c). thats they way i did it. to be talkin bout it. can anyone else tell me what they did?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

This.
    I got the question to work out
    in the end Barry was closer GG..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Agreed.

As I said earlier:
    7(c)

(ii) f(2)<0 and f(2.5)>0, so root is between 2 and 2.5. QED.

(iii) One go each at N-R: Ann gets 2.66 and Barry gets 2.58. Since we know the root is less than 2.5, Barry is now closer than Ann.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

galway.gaa wrote: »
    did anybody use logs to get out 1 (c). thats they way i did it. to be talkin bout it. can anyone else tell me what they did?

multiply one side by (X+K) create coefficiente and solve , got something like b = c-1?
    made sense at the time

Don't think there's any misprints in 7(c). Might catch people off with the wording but it seems straight forward:

Show that the root lies between 2 and 3
    Show that the root lies between 2 and 2.5 thus proving 2 to be a better approximation.
    Show Barry's second approximation (NR method) is closer to the region between 2 and 2.5 than Anne's second approximation.

I'd have loved that question had I actually skimmed over it in my revision. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭BLARG

Did anyone else go "PROBABILITY ON PAPER ONE?!?" when they read "Barry" etc. ... Names on paper 1, crazy... crazy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

I found a lot of it really difficult, it wasn't what I had expected at all. I'll be relying on attempt marks and a nice Paper 2(if there is a God) otherwise I could get a D or worse, fail my LC. :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭BLARG

I found a lot of it really difficult, it wasn't what I had expected at all. I'll be relying on attempt marks and a nice Paper 2(if there is a God) otherwise I could get a D or worse, fail my LC. :(:(:(

You can't fail the leaving cert, don't worry. It depends on the course, some arts don't require maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

7(c)

(ii) f(2)<0 and f(2.5)>0, so root is between 2 and 2.5. QED.

(iii) One go each at N-R: Ann gets 2.66 and Barry gets 2.58. Since we know the root is less than 2.5, Barry is now closer than Ann.

Yay that's exactly what I did, and normally my logic is really dodgy!

I wasn't sure if my maths explained what I was getting at, so I basically wrote out in sentenced why Barry's answer was closer to the root than Anne's, so most of my answer ended up being a few sentences with => thrown in. It was very tempting to write =>Girls are crap at maths at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

galway.gaa wrote: »

After a small bit of tidying up, divide x+(1-c) into x^2+(5c-5)x-6b^2

You'll end up getting something like -6b^2+(6c-6)=0 (that's not what i came up with i'm just too lazy to do it again :P) or something like that. It didn't really work out for me at the very end, but apparently it didn't for the majority of people.

Advertisement